Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno I really don't see anything wrong with it. It was designed by a Chinese-American artist and incorporates very obvious Chinese/Lunar New Year symbolism. And the color scheme rocks.

I liked it. Happy lunar new year. The color scheme is both 100% Devils and Chinese new year too. Good warmups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Hmm Flames broadcast talking about how Jason Robertson was passed over for a 1st round selection because he was perceived as being a bad team-mate / selfish player and "didn't interview well". I wonder what's different about Robertson from the typical draft prospect that could have lead to so many teams getting such a terrible read on him, he seems like such a great guy.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Winnipeg Jets are dogshit garbage

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

THe last flyers win streak: December 18th over Ottawa then December 29th over Seattle.

lol

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

DJExile posted:

THe last flyers win streak: December 18th over Ottawa then December 29th over Seattle.

lol

They're going to go on a big run at some point this year after they are well out of the playoffs and it's going to get them crappier drafting position and Mike Yeo hired. I'm sorry in advance.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Kreider has 33 now

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

They're going to go on a big run at some point this year after they are well out of the playoffs and it's going to get them crappier drafting position and Mike Yeo hired. I'm sorry in advance.

:ok:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Big game for Orlov.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno I really don't see anything wrong with it. It was designed by a Chinese-American artist and incorporates very obvious Chinese/Lunar New Year symbolism. And the color scheme rocks.

The main problem with them was that the Devils lost extremely badly after wearing them.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
After making up a bunch of imagined calls the referees in Pens/Caps decided calling nothing for the last half of the game was the best course of action. Not sure if it was an improvement but it definitely let the game flow better.

In other news please god trade Kasperi Kapanen for an actual 2nd line player.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The Minnesota Wild and St Louis Blues look on with a knowing vacant gaze.

I hear Mike Babcock is still looking for employment, so somehow it could be worse.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

fawning deference posted:

Kreider has 33 now

It's really incredible how good he has been, and it's funny how a bunch of fans couldn't stop talking this offseason about how they needed to trade him and Trouba.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

I'm sure he'll continue to shoot nearly 22% for the rest of his career as well.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Zodijackylite posted:

It's really incredible how good he has been, and it's funny how a bunch of fans couldn't stop talking this offseason about how they needed to trade him and Trouba.

They're probably going to have to pick one of them eventually. But I'll enjoy the ride for now. They've got some pretty big cap issues on the horizon once Fox's contract kicks in.

But whatever, the #meatmarket is here now and it rules.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
who fuckin' cares

He's getting real lucky that pucks are going in for him this year but as long as Fox Panarin and Zibanejad are feeding him in front of the net like this (and he stays healthy) he's gonna continue scoring a lot for awhile longer

No he's not gonna pace for 50+ goals regularly now, but I'd be he 100% can score 30 for awhile longer with this kind of play. He's scoring so many from extremely high danger areas that yeah his shooting percentage is probably gonna look real high there!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

fawning deference posted:

Kreider has 33 now

he also looked like he passed up the chance at a hattrick in the EN. Panarin poked a puck free and was racing through center ice with no one near him and instead of skating hard to join him Kreider just let off the gas and stopped skating. Either he was tired or just wanted panarin to shoot the puck and not force a pass to him and potentially gently caress up the EN chance

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can confirm that the Devils are very bad boys.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yes
Tempt the hockey gods by claiming your 30 year-old power forward is invulnerable

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yes
Tempt the hockey gods by claiming your 30 year-old power forward is invulnerable

what now

e: Kreider is also benefiting a lot from defensemen not being able to just maul people in front of the net like they used to

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Dallas Stars got creative and found a way to lose to the Flames

True artists of the craft

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

eXXon posted:

I can confirm that the Devils are very bad boys.

I hope this says Jersey in Chinese.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
The Avalanche had their 18 home game winning streak broken by losing to the Coyotes in the Shootout.

Thaaaaats hockey, folks!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

LumpyGumby posted:

The Avalanche had their 18 home game winning streak broken by losing to the Coyotes in the Shootout.

Thaaaaats hockey, folks!

1 day shy of it hitting 3 months without a loss at home too

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

uhhh.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/1488729023337349125

This is good poo poo.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
guess the flames are winning the cup, sorry everyone

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Levitate posted:

e: Kreider is also benefiting a lot from defensemen not being able to just maul people in front of the net like they used to

Now I *KNOW* you're watching a completely different sports game than the rest of us.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

triple sulk posted:

The Winnipeg Jets are dogshit garbage

The Winnipeg Jets are dogshit garbage.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

what now

Cutting down on cross-checking in front of the net has definitely benefitted a guy who practices tipping pucks every day, especially considering his chemistry with Zibanejad, and the incredible passing of Fox and Panarin. It's the perfect storm for him this season.

I'm curious as to how Kreider ages, since he still has his speed at 30, and he takes a lot less abuse than other power forwards by not fighting - he's had 14 career fights, while other PWFs would have that many in a year.

This made me wonder about another American college hockey power forward, Kevin Stevens - I assumed he fought a lot, but it turns out he only had one fight the year he put up 254 PIMs. Those Penguins teams racked up PIMs like crazy. The 88-89 team, when Mario scored 85 goals and 199 points, had 15 players with 100 PIM or more, and another who narrowly missed the mark with 97.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I was just scrolling slowly through this thread and as soon as the pictures came up I went "wtf why are there swastikas in the hockey thread?" and it wasn't until I stopped and had a better look that I realized what it actually was.

It looks fine when you know what it is, and it's definitely pretty cool, but it very much has some (unintentional, I'm not one of those weirdos in the twitter thread saying it was done on purpose) fascism vibes at first glance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sorry if this makes me sound like an ignorant boomer.. but is there a reason the lunar new year is becoming more of an event? I've seen a number of businesses make a deal about it this year and I don't remember it ever being a thing until the past couple years.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

Sorry if this makes me sound like an ignorant boomer.. but is there a reason the lunar new year is becoming more of an event? I've seen a number of businesses make a deal about it this year and I don't remember it ever being a thing until the past couple years.

Growing Chinese population / broader recognition that this is a demographic worth going after.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

HookShot posted:

I was just scrolling slowly through this thread and as soon as the pictures came up I went "wtf why are there swastikas in the hockey thread?" and it wasn't until I stopped and had a better look that I realized what it actually was.

It looks fine when you know what it is, and it's definitely pretty cool, but it very much has some (unintentional, I'm not one of those weirdos in the twitter thread saying it was done on purpose) fascism vibes at first glance.

It only has "fascism vibes" if you're ignorant of Chinese or broader Asian culture, but to be fair we are talking about a fanbase that's predominantly white males here, so I guess it makes sense that people had this reaction.

xzzy posted:

Not gonna go on a big derail but I think it's because it's an important Asian holiday that's easy for people to understand (New Year 2) and lately everyone is trying to prove they are respectful of Asians and Asian culture after the rise in hate crimes and stuff that happened as a result of the COVID pandemic

For the NHL specifically I think they are trying to appeal to the Chinese audience because of the Olympics, in addition to the PR stuff.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I watched Firefly, I'm down with intermingling our cultures. More hockey fans is a good thing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It only has "fascism vibes" if you're ignorant of Chinese or broader Asian culture, but to be fair we are talking about a fanbase that's predominantly white males here, so I guess it makes sense that people had this reaction.
I mean, I grew up in the Vancouver area, I'm definitely used to seeing Asian stuff all over the place, but yeah, it's a black design on a round lighter-colored background on a red field that's hung vertically in the lockers. At a quick glance that is absolutely the vibes it gives off.

Also I will say I really, REALLY like the Chinese character-stylized version of the logo part of it. That looks super cool.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 2, 2022

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

People of East Asian descent are also the largest visible minority in Canada making up 5% of the total population and a significant portion of the major cities. I grew up in Vancouver which is ~30% comprised of people of Chinese descent and Chinese New Year was something that was celebrated every year I can remember. It usually meant making paper lanterns and getting red envelopes in schools while the City put on a bunch of dragon dance performances but it always something something people took note of. I had no idea it wasn't much of a thing outside of the pacific coast until I moved away. It's nice to see it getting a bit wider recognition because it's a great holiday.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aren't you supposed to put cash/gold inside the red envelopes, not random New Jersey trash?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
In important news: real hockey starts tomorrow

Womens Olympic Ice Hockey thread ‘22

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3992535&perpage=40&noseen=1

Come watch USA and Canada beat each other to a pulp.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

People of East Asian descent are also the largest visible minority in Canada making up 5% of the total population and a significant portion of the major cities. I grew up in Vancouver which is ~30% comprised of people of Chinese descent and Chinese New Year was something that was celebrated every year I can remember. It usually meant making paper lanterns and getting red envelopes in schools while the City put on a bunch of dragon dance performances but it always something something people took note of. I had no idea it wasn't much of a thing outside of the pacific coast until I moved away. It's nice to see it getting a bit wider recognition because it's a great holiday.

According to Wikipedia the South Asian visible minority group is bigger: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Canada#Visible_minority_population

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

First Nations is also larger but not considered a visible minority for reasons that we pretend didn't happen.