Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

Ooo yeah do you think we will see the return of hallway sleepers with the expected higher attendance?

I'm sure they'll be there as long as they aren't deemed non-compliant with the covid policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
GenCon bingo cards? What should we put on our horrible bingo cards?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

GenCon bingo cards? What should we put on our horrible bingo cards?
[JOIN THE DISCORD TO FIND OUT!]

I definitely cannot get enough of "Food truck with only one item left in stock" and "The Backpack"

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Dr. Quarex posted:

[JOIN THE DISCORD TO FIND OUT!]

I definitely cannot get enough of "Food truck with only one item left in stock" and "The Backpack"

Is 'The Backpack' a literal 2ft3 Companion Cube being worn on someone's back in the dealer hall? I saw that in 2019 and really had to restrain myself.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BlackIronHeart posted:

Is 'The Backpack' a literal 2ft3 Companion Cube being worn on someone's back in the dealer hall? I saw that in 2019 and really had to restrain myself.
While you have now added a new potential space for the bingo board, no, The Backpack is the monstrosity designed to hold like five full-sized board games horizontally, that everyone will at one point be hit full in the face with by an oblivious wearer in the Exhibit Hall. I thought this was hyperbole until it happened to me twice in 2019, though granted it did not happen to me at all last year. I also did not see many last year, so hopefully they are already out of style, even if that would hurt the chances of a full board

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The Backpack will be around this year. Boardgametables.com is the vendor who most egregiously sells these backpacks for like $25 each at every con and they are listed as coming to Gen Con. They aren't the only vendor that sells these things, but they are the ones with the giant tower of these backpacks you can see from any corner of the exhibit hall. I don't quite get what they get out of selling them. They are so cheap I can't believe they are making much of a profit on them no matter how poorly they are constructed.

edit: The bag in question - https://www.boardgametables.com/products/board-game-bag

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 8, 2022

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Seeing they are actually still selling them has me now seriously considering my plan to make up stickers that say "please reconsider your thoughtless decision to wear this bag in a crowded room" and slap them on anyone I see wearing one

Or go with my original thought for it to say "I AM AN rear end in a top hat"

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I carried one for a day last year and its miserable to be on that end of it, too.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I can see the utility in one of those bags for transporting a bunch of games to a game night.

do not, under any circumstances, wear it in a literal mass of humanity trying to loving walk here you rear end in a top hat what's wrong with you gently caress

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah they’re only ok for getting games to/from a car. Miserable to carry any further and the backpack straps are worthless. I use the free one I got to store camping gear and that’s a much better use. The free tote bags CSI hands out remain the best way to carry games because they’re relatively compact and force you to not overpack.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

you also inexplicably end up with like, 3 of them? every year

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
The pro move is to spend nothing in the dealer hall all convention, but get loaded on Saturday night and buy a guitar on eBay.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
wondering how many loving roller suitcases i'll trip over that people are dragging behind them

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

When Quarex realized he wasn’t at Gencon he decided to destroy the Columbus

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And I would have gotten away with it, too, sneaky kids, et cetera

I did not check the Gen-Con hotel tracker page before the vaccination/mask requirement announcement the other day; I see there are three pretty-close rooms available now though!

Superstar
Jun 11, 2022
I went to GenCon for the first time last year. From the picture it looks like 2021 was completely different than a typical con. It will be like the first time all over again!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Superstar posted:

I went to GenCon for the first time last year. From the picture it looks like 2021 was completely different than a typical con. It will be like the first time all over again!
WOOOO!

Also, yeah, it really will. Last year was like you got to pop in to Gen-Con 2005 and see what things looked like before the board game market exploded in the 2010s. I doubt this year will be a record like 2019 but I bet it will be at least the like 4th or 5th biggest year

And yeah normal years for Gen-Con are like the occasional moments at conventions where you realize that you are seriously considering skipping your ticketed event because so many other things are happening, except that feeling is constant

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh and hey everybody, for real now, the 2022 Gen-Con Auction page is up and running and ready for everyone to register new accounts and submit their 2022 goods!

Major changes summary:

1: Deadlines are earlier because there is now a separate deadline for items being auctioned, get yo' stuff in by July 8 unless you are purely doing the store option (July 28)
B. $75 is the new maximum on items for the Consignment Store
@) The $50 tab bidder card option is not purely a deposit but a deposit on purchases (I think this was changed in like 2019 actually)
§ The new item categories:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

The $50 tab bidder card option is not purely a deposit but a deposit on purchases (I think this was changed in like 2019 actually)

What's the difference?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

What's the difference?
If you do not buy $50 of poo poo, which by the way who the hell who buys a $50 bidder tab does not, you no longer get the balance refunded.

I joke, but I actually did get like $8 refunded once in the couple of years I had a tab before I started volunteering.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thats kind of lovely, actually. I frequently would get a bidder card and then just not buy anything that year for reasons. Maybe I never did the deposit? I dunno. I guess I am usually there to pick up my stuff right away so maybe its moot but that still doesn't feel like a great way to do things IMO. At least not for the bidder, great for the auction. Free $50!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I think my tricksy wife has swapped our room in the Omni for a room in the Westin. Huzzah!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Thats kind of lovely, actually. I frequently would get a bidder card and then just not buy anything that year for reasons. Maybe I never did the deposit? I dunno. I guess I am usually there to pick up my stuff right away so maybe its moot but that still doesn't feel like a great way to do things IMO. At least not for the bidder, great for the auction. Free $50!
In my experience they always assume you want the $1 bidder card unless you know about the tab to ask, since there is limited space for tab accounts in the back anyway.

Ilor posted:

I think my tricksy wife has swapped our room in the Omni for a room in the Westin. Huzzah!
What a good hobbitses.

When do you get in? I am in the Westin from the Sunday before the convention to Tuesday just to continue my quest to stay in every downtown Indianapolis hotel. I did not know I could get in so early until like two weeks ago, please nobody assume this is purely for my own amusement*

*it is also purely for my own amusement

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I just updated the best50yearsingaming.com website to include a 360 tour of Horticultural Hall! Go check it out, especially if you've never been able to stop by the site in Lake Geneva. See where Gen Con started!

http://www.best50yearsingaming.com/horticulturalhall

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

nesbit37 posted:

Tab is different than a bidder card, you probably just gave them a buck for a number. It was a thing you could do to not have to pay for your stuff immediately iirc.

Zalmun
Jan 17, 2008

It'sa me!

Nap Ghost
Lots more events posted today. Looks like all the MTG events are up now too.
https://gencon.eventdb.us/

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Dr. Quarex posted:

When do you get in?
We'll get in on Wednesday.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ilor posted:

We'll get in on Wednesday.
I will do my best to avoid burning the Westin down before then.

YAY the AUCTION got a GEN-CON E-MAIL BLAST WOOOOO

So apparently most items are registered in the last week or so in previous years, so there is no way to really make much of this information, but it looks (since the item numbers seem incremental?) like they currently have about 10% of the 2019 totals registered after only about a week of being up.

(If you were wondering, I asked about...

Toshimo posted:

Buddy, you know all the people who have access to the POS receipts. Literally just ask how many items sold at price cap on prior years.
...and the only answer I got was "there was minimal dropoff as price increased and about 70% of all consignment stuff sells." O.K.!)

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Both Satine and Jamison have cancelled all their events at this point. Whether it was their decision out Gen Con's, it's unclear.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

A bit sad, but work is sending me to EVO and that means I can’t go to Gen Con this year any more. It’ll be the first one I missed (outside of the Gen Con That Wasn’t) since I discovered it 6 or 7 years ago.

I hope everyone has fun!!!!!!!!! GEN CON!!!!!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://streamable.com/mv589y

My phone had this hidden in the Memories feature and I’m dying over here

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Eastmabl posted:

Both Satine and Jamison have cancelled all their events at this point. Whether it was their decision out Gen Con's, it's unclear.
Yessssssssss

Given the discussion on the Forums it could be either way, as they cancelled all of his events and then people were cancelling her event so they might have decided to save face by pretending they are doing soul-searching or the Powers That Be might have realized this is getting close to situations they have banned people for in the past

Agrias120 posted:

A bit sad, but work is sending me to EVO and that means I can’t go to Gen Con this year any more. It’ll be the first one I missed (outside of the Gen Con That Wasn’t) since I discovered it 6 or 7 years ago.

I hope everyone has fun!!!!!!!!! GEN CON!!!!!
GEN-CON!!!!!! :(

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
35 days?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
34 days?

After waiting over two years between the last two in-person conventions, this one definitely seems to have come out of nowhere

It probably further helps that I feel like I spent the entirety of last week entering Auction items and time ceased having any meaning

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

RIP time traveler's kit, hubby may have tossed the 90s AOL and MapQuest CDs.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Maigius posted:

RIP time traveler's kit, hubby may have tossed the 90s AOL and MapQuest CDs.
Well, it happened, the value of any other Time Traveller's Kits for T.O.V.A. went up as a result of your husband randomly throwing those out

This is a good reminder that the submission deadline for items actually being auctioned off is like FOUR DAYS FROM NOWWWWW go enter your things!!!

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well, it happened, the value of any other Time Traveller's Kits for T.O.V.A. went up as a result of your husband randomly throwing those out

This is a good reminder that the submission deadline for items actually being auctioned off is like FOUR DAYS FROM NOWWWWW go enter your things!!!

I found a card game from circa 1903, and a Popular Mechanics from 1907, so the past will still be represented. The Burger King promotion of the Red Skeleton reciting the Pledge of Allegiance from 1969 is also in.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Looks like the auction has extended the deadline to get items in to July 17. It’s more than a week longer so start getting those items entered!

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

21 days :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
For all you Latecomer Larrys in the thread, for whatever reason the Auction is still accepting items for bid today despite yesterday being the deadline, so HURRY AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS PROBABLY-JUST-TODAY-GRACE-PERIOD OMG