Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just out of curiousity, Quarex, what are reasons for items being rejected from the auction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Sounds like they are trying to turn more of the auction into serious business and not just an entertainment.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well that makes sense, some of our items are...out there...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

nesbit37 posted:

Sounds like they are trying to turn more of the auction into serious business and not just an entertainment.

BOOOOOOOO

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

nesbit37 posted:

there's already an entire dealer hall full of capitalism.

i paid for blood!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Erainor posted:

Just out of curiousity, Quarex, what are reasons for items being rejected from the auction?

nesbit37 posted:

Erainor posted:

Well that makes sense, some of our items are...out there...

Deviant posted:

there's already an entire dealer hall full of capitalism.

i paid for blood!
These posts all perfectly encompass my thoughts on the issue, yes

Like, I absolutely understand the logic in play where the people whose business interests are tied up in the Auction are primarily interested in maximizing the business aspects of the Auction

But T.O.V.A. is definitely going to be less of a draw if all the hilarious stuff gets taken out, and while I have no idea if this will actually impact the bottom line, it certainly will not help bring in more people to remove the only "fun" part. But if the extra people it brings in mostly do not buy the big dollar things anyway, I guess it does not much matter? Also that is definitely a bit negative; clearly there are still funny things that are gaming-related that will be up for bid, I just do not happen to own any of those things (or, more specifically, you are NEVER GONNA GET my D&D tablecloth away from me)

Since my absolute favorite part of T.O.V.A. is seeing what entirely inappropriate items will go up for sale and how hilariously high people will bid them, and indeed the hope to be the person getting to announce those items is what got me volunteering in the first place, this might well be my last year, so get in while the getting is good! Not that there are not other auctioneers who do the actual job they are supposed to do better than I do. But who else can you count on to randomly say "MIKE! WHY AREN'T YOU BIDDING?" and watch at least two or three guys in the audience confusedly put up their bidder cards

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I still think you should move to Ohio, get an auctioneers license, and bring TOVA to Origins if it crashes at Gen Con.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I still think you should move to Ohio, get an auctioneers license, and bring TOVA to Origins if it crashes at Gen Con.
Between T.O.V.A. being toned down and the Stink somehow still being called the Stink in 2022, I am starting to think it is weird that I am simultaneously too goofy and not goofy enough for convention activities

Regardless

GEN-CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is finally close enough that I have my clothes suitcase packed, a duffel bag completely full of snacks portioned into gallon-sized plastic bags (as you do), and am waiting for my apparently annual "handful of things to pass out at Shots Wednesday" delivery to arrive. No way I will ever be able to recreate the majesty of clearance-raiding 20 shirts for a convention that did not happen, though

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I am bummed that I am going to miss Shots Wednesday this year. Stupid work trip <grumble grumble>

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ilor posted:

I am bummed that I am going to miss Shots Wednesday this year. Stupid work trip <grumble grumble>
Just start drinking wherever you are!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Just start drinking wherever you are!
I will be on a plane! What could go wrong?!?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Ilor posted:

I will be on a plane! What could go wrong?!?

What, are you the pilot?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

CellBlock posted:

What, are you the pilot?

Even then...

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I had another Gencon dream. This time I was spending the first morning trying to find the vaccine card check place and ended up deep in the bowels of the mechanical section of the building.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Maigius posted:

I had another Gencon dream. This time I was spending the first morning trying to find the vaccine card check place and ended up deep in the bowels of the mechanical section of the building.
You say bowels of the mechanical section of the building, I say A MONSTER!!! A GORVIL!!!

Gen-Con dreams are the best, as they are usually low-grade nightmares and just about the only bad dreams I have had since I was a kid. I had my most realistic one ever this year, as I was quarantining in anticipation of travelling and realized it was already Saturday and I had forgotten to leave my house :(:(:(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dr. Quarex posted:

You say bowels of the mechanical section of the building, I say A MONSTER!!! A GORVIL!!!

Pictured: the gorvil returning to its hovel

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Later today I begin my journey to Indianapolis, omgggggggg

Anyone who does not keep up with the Discord or who has not seen it elsewhere yet:

WE ARE TRULY BLESSED this year by the Auction's new "actually having submission cutoffs and the ability to reject things" policies, so a tentative auction block schedule FOR THE ENTIRE CONVENTION is actually up, negating the need for me to post schedules from like 2007 and say "O.K., it usually looks kind of like this!" I highly recommend making an event on your phone calendar listing each category, as I know absolutely everyone else takes the Auction as seriously as I do

Pretty cool though, we have almost never had sections as granular as "supernatural-themed RPGs" or "sci-fi boardgames" in previous years. O.K. granted there have been a few times internally we knew that we were putting, say, all of the space RPG stuff in one category, but there was never any more public notification of this than being able to see them all stacked onstage beforehand.

T.O.V.A. still at 4 on Saturday, so make sure to skip the goddamn costume parade as always; a few genuinely weird items slipped through the "not-gaming-related" rejection filter somehow, so this will probably be its last hurrah as a source of absurd amusement in addition to a great place to pick up weird gaming offshoot products.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I have a goal of buying "something inexplicable" this year. Doesn't need to be at the auction, but has to be something I probably overpaid for that will make me wonder in a year or so, why did I buy this?. The inflatable USS Enterprise is a good example, along with the $80 stone dice, the waffle sundae, and Gloranta Deity book preview.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Landed, checked in, and ready to build the dungeon. Gencon ahoy!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Radio Free Walrus posted:

Landed, checked in, and ready to build the dungeon. Gencon ahoy!
GEN-CONNNNNNNNNN

I am in the all-important final pre-Indianapolis phase we all partake in, where you watch Monty Python reruns with your father in Central Illinois before the last bit of drive Monday morning

Planning to hit up Doughnuts & Dragons on Tuesday, since they are closed Mondays anyway. I would be happy to buy extra if anyone is around Tuesday night and fancies a Sweet Dough Toroid

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Dr. Quarex posted:

GEN-CONNNNNNNNNN

I am in the all-important final pre-Indianapolis phase we all partake in, where you watch Monty Python reruns with your father in Central Illinois before the last bit of drive Monday morning

Planning to hit up Doughnuts & Dragons on Tuesday, since they are closed Mondays anyway. I would be happy to buy extra if anyone is around Tuesday night and fancies a Sweet Dough Toroid

Holdup, where in Central Illinois? Because that's where I am. Also, gently caress yeah TOVA into Collector Auction (but really also prepainted minis onward on Friday, too), my wallet is already screaming. Saturday gonna rule. Any idea what the big ticket items will be this year?

I wonder how many thousands I'll spend this year?! :shepspends:

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 1, 2022

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pvt. Public posted:

Holdup, where in Central Illinois? Because that's where I am. Also, gently caress yeah TOVA into Collector Auction (but really also prepainted minis onward on Friday, too), my wallet is already screaming. Saturday gonna rule. Any idea what the big ticket items will be this year?

I wonder how many thousands I'll spend this year?! :shepspends:
Haha, all this time; are you my father?!?

I grew up in Normal, though these days my father lives all the way over in ... Bloomington.

As for the big-ticket items, sadly the only real preview of things I have as an insider is some of the cool stuff they rejected for not being relevant, including a two-handed sword, a handmade wooden beer mug, and a Denny's menu from 1999. R.I.P. oldschool T.O.V.A.

I can definitely examine the goods on Wednesday when I check my own stuff in, though, and report back here.

I suppose I do have the preview scoop that we have been given the O.K. to like read descriptions or tell stories about any interesting items this year, as the total number of entries was successfully kept in check by the new system, so there will be no need for blitzing through dozens of things in a few minutes. Probably also means the Consignment Store will be downright manageable?! We can hope!

As I mentioned in the Discord, my goal is to balance out to spending precisely $0, between my incredibly low hotel costs and my over 150 items up for bid this year. Even though I also love spending money specifically at Gen-Con and have no idea why I am being so cruel to myself

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Shoulda come down to Springfield to hang out. Much cooler city than normal imo

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Frozen Peach posted:

"Dad I cannot see you, Frozen Peach says Springfield is cooler."
"You drat right it is"
"Oh"

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
Anyone see any True Dungeon 101 type events? The wife and I did one in 2019 and we could use a refresher before our session this year... and we also got free tokens last time we went to a 101 event.

I looked through both the official dbase and the gencondb site and I don't see anything but it's very possible I'm blind and don't know how to search.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm not seeing any True Dungeon 101 events. I am not terribly surprised, between the prices and the power gamers buying out all the runs I don't know how any new even gets into that game. Maybe at Gamehole Con.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
This blog post came out about a week ago. Thought people might find it handy.

https://www.visitindy.com/indianapolis-gen-con-block-party-2022-schedule

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Numinous posted:

Anyone see any True Dungeon 101 type events? The wife and I did one in 2019 and we could use a refresher before our session this year... and we also got free tokens last time we went to a 101 event.

I looked through both the official dbase and the gencondb site and I don't see anything but it's very possible I'm blind and don't know how to search.

they have an entire guide on their website, also Fellis and I play every year semi-religiously if you want. also those free tokens are usually garbage.

that said, i dont think they're doing the 101 style course, there's a training session baked into each run now

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Deviant posted:

they have an entire guide on their website, also Fellis and I play every year semi-religiously if you want. also those free tokens are usually garbage.

that said, i dont think they're doing the 101 style course, there's a training session baked into each run now

We're pretty much just rolling with whatever we've got that's been given to us and we won in 2019 from the box after our session, so we don't even have full character sheets and what we do have is I'm guessing beggar tier (except for a badass ring that I pulled at the end of our session that gives +1 level).

We were going to ask our group to just borrow some gear that they aren't using - people seem to show up with piles of stuff.

Is there a buying/selling area for tokens? I wouldn't mind picking up some cheap potions or scrolls of healing or something but the idea of spending real cash on something we already paid $180 to participate in is meh.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Numinous posted:

We're pretty much just rolling with whatever we've got that's been given to us and we won in 2019 from the box after our session, so we don't even have full character sheets and what we do have is I'm guessing beggar tier (except for a badass ring that I pulled at the end of our session that gives +1 level).

We were going to ask our group to just borrow some gear that they aren't using - people seem to show up with piles of stuff.

Is there a buying/selling area for tokens? I wouldn't mind picking up some cheap potions or scrolls of healing or something but the idea of spending real cash on something we already paid $180 to participate in is meh.

so, one of the things that happened during covid was "virtual true dungeon" via zoom, etc.

one of the unspoken rules was that if you used any potions or consumables, you're supposed to give them to newbies at gencon this year. so there's a non zero chance they might make it rain on you if you're clearly new.

that +1 ring is a keeper, obviously. long term there's lots of ways to get that setup. you can definitely go as expensive or inexpensive as you want, and people's willingness to loan will vary.

i don't know of any on site vendors, some of the major sellers do gencon pickup but i think even that window has passed.

more on this in discord.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 1, 2022

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Somebody posted on the official Gen-Con forum saying he will give away True Dungeon tokens to new players!

That is all!

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Haha, all this time; are you my father?!?

I grew up in Normal, though these days my father lives all the way over in ... Bloomington.

Oh nice, I'm in Champaign. Red Raccoon is a great LGS and the owner Jamie is a really cool dude. I get over there a few times a month between needing to go to Bloomington Spice Works or see shows at my friend's bar/restaurant, nightshop. And I fly out of BMI quite a bit because the airport here is surprisingly crap.

Frozen Peach posted:

Springfield is a damned hole, but yes it is better than Normal. Not Bloomington, though, just Normal. Cheap flights on occasion, and some good hidden gem food spots like Luca Pizza, Jerk Shop Go!, and Tacology 201. And the 2nd location of my favorite game store, Titan Games.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 2, 2022

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Today is effectively my last day because I have to tear down TD tomorrow during the day. I am entirely sad because that art dealer hall continues to beckon with a wallet stealing siren song.
Still, only ~362 days until we do it all again!

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Maigius posted:

I found the hallway of my dreams! I even walked through it getting my vaccine check.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Gencon felt like a return to form this year, I was definitely inconvenienced more often by walking roadblocks with those fuckin' board game table bags.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
I am hopeful that VIG titles will be a thing next year.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
It was a good con. I was unable to demo several games I was interested in, as the companies didn't bring them (BGG lied to me), and several things were sold out way before I got to them, and my game group mostly wasn't up for a lot over the weekend, but dammit, I still had fun. Got to sell some magic cards off, picked up a few things here and there. I Heard some rumors that GenCon was raising the fees for running a booth next year, and a lot of folks aren't planning on being back. A few smaller game companies and the Games Workshop bits seller at least mentioned this.

Also I was really surprised on early Saturday afternoon to find that the Gallery Pastry Bar down at 110 S. Pennsylvania was basically empty. It's a somewhat pricey but crazy good brunch and dessert place just down on the opposite end of Georgia St. from the food trucks on the left, so very easily walkable from the convention. I am absolutely gonna try to hit them up again next year several times instead of bumbling around downtown looking for a burger place that doesn't have a half hour wait.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Hoping next year will be mask free. Skipped this year just because it didn't sound like fun rocking a mask for 4 days straight. Probably helped with the gen crud though.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
It was a good con for me this year. A little frustrated with myself that it was the least outgoing I've been at one though (my first time skipping shots Wednesday since gencon 50). It felt like more games that weren't especially noteworthy sold out this year but considering the state of global supply chains maybe I shouldn't be surprised. And honestly it saved me from purchasing a couple games I wouldn't have really played all that much anyway.

I do kind of miss the smaller crowds of last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Hoping next year will be mask free. Skipped this year just because it didn't sound like fun rocking a mask for 4 days straight. Probably helped with the gen crud though.

More than a day out from the con and still no covid or con crud, so I'd say it was very much worth it!