Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

survive 30 minutes in green acres never activated for me, anybody else? I've done it many times

and i don't have the bone zone because it says i haven't gotten 'unlock hyper for 3 normal stages' even tho i've unlocked all 4

Mescal fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah green reaper on Bone Zone can be a fucker if he wants to be :negative:

Question about arcana: Do the ones that affect speed and duration (-50% to +200%) stack with your other changes to those stats, or override them? Like if I have 100% Duration anyway and then get it, does it drop to a flat -50% to +200% change or does it go to +50% to +300%?

Well, the speed buffs remain and operate independently of the speed arcanum. (Does it drive anybody else nuts them saying "arcanas?")

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I got the evolved lancet and laurel and killed red death. Am I missing something? I was expecting a character unlock or a bonus stage or cutscene or something.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

ASJSS (rear end-jizz): automated single joystick survivor shooter

I vote for this one

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

20mtd is good, a little hard for an ASJSS, i don't like that aiming is slow, so for not aiming get the bat gun and the "empty entire clip" character and try to get fusillade

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

Yeah i did this and got killed by Uber Death at 30:58 once

Quite frustrating

:yossame: the only time i felt frustrated in the game

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

20mtd did somebody say you shouldn't clear the game with the same character and weapon repeatedly?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

20mtd I don't see how anything is viable from the getgo other than fire-all-ammo character with batgun or maybe grenades with the high HP character or phantom summoner. With controller, that is. Idk why they'd cripple aim speed on controllers.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Shotgun+highHP character/reroll character was my go to, did they nerf the shotty? Or is it just the aim speed on controller making it unplayable?

i hope they're not nerfing anything, that's the last thing this game needs. but yeah, it's just aim speed on controller. it's so weird i want to assume it was somehow a mistake.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

20mtd
i was this close to a bat dragon build where everything synergized with itself basically and would steamroll the second half, but the tradeoffs getting there led to my ignoble death. bats are bullet and summon... what's the math? what happens when you get plus summon damage and minus bullet damage?

magnetism isn't so good. the starting magnetism is high, and the maximized magnetism isn't great. move speed is good until you get surrounded.

the only great combos i see so far are abby plus a big fast firing magazine plus lightning, and grenade launcher with light/heavy weaponry. i could see xbow being good with fan fire and shatter, but i tried it and it didn't do much.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

this is the only genre of games where 'the best defense is good offense' is just transparently not true

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

why's dragon suboptimal?

tip: there's almost no cooldown on the shadow summon... took me like five runs to realize that. the dash alone is worth a lot

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

earlier i said that defense matters because the truism is meant for a battle where there's two parties and one party gets killed and the battle is over. also, if you can just walk into enemies your dps will skyrocket.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

20mtd: on the new patch you can "stack upgrades," so i guess leveling up the same upgrades. that will probably improve the game a lot. only on endless mode

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

check out necro smith it's pretty slick! build little monsters, they do stuff, you can control them if you want but that's not the focus, it's not quite an ASJSS because you have your fingers in the details but there's not much to it. i got it like 15 minutes ago and i'm enjoying it, it's three bucks

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1949190/Necrosmith/

maybe y'all have talked about it already idk

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Third World Reagan posted:

trip report

It is a true auto battler with some control over your own units.

I am glad flash is dead and now flash games are on steam.

they just released a patch and said "the character AI sucks, we're completely overhauling it" and some other stuff that makes it clear they're detail-oriented. That give me confidence in their dedication to it, in contrast with 20mtd where the bones are good but I don't have much confidence in the development.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

did i already ask this? i can't access endless mode in 20mtd, does it unlock somehow

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Emong posted:

You just can't select it with a controller.

Weird. Also, you can't use Abby?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

necrosmith: i tried a run where i micromanaged everything, and was massively successful. but that's not what i want from this kind of game...
you're better off just killing your dead if they're not doing what you want
the game will be 2x as good if they make ranged characters not walk into melee range
there should be a 'random monster' button or a 'random (armored/unarmored) (character type)' button
inventory sorting is needed
large fonts

i'm enjoying it but if i know what's good for me i should uninstall it until they make those AI changes they announced

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

there was AI overhaul on necrosmith and it plays v different now

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

the genre needs elementals so you can get those sweet oneshots instead of all your projectiles being a fungible mush where you can't perceive what any one thing is doing and overall they collectively do the job but it feels kind of whatever

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

what's the appeal of brotato? i don't see how this is any better than the other games, it's worse unless i'm missing something?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Spermanent Record posted:

It's an actual game with, depth, challenge and a learning curve, rather than a semi-idle large number generator with unlocks.

huh. i found unchallenging enough that it seemed like my choices didn't matter.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

rogue genesia! now that's a vampire survivor!
:kiss:
i just did a run, halfway through i was dashing 100% of the time
wheeee

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

what's busted in boneraiser? flag wavers + calf donors relic works great, since monsters generally have short range and short cooldowns.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

music was off for some reason in boneraiser minions, but drat turns out it has some tight tracks (depending on the level)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

some of these games give difficulty options that are granular, arbitrary, and inscrutable. it's like dr mario, the difficulty could be anything, but with a number you know where you're at. it's like they said "balance is out the window anyway, so... gently caress it. let the user tweak these difficulty options at random if something's not their favorite."

i need to be able to evaluate how well my little zombies did on a past run, and there's no way to do this with all the knobs. i know it sounds like a nitpick, but you can't fall apart at that point of analyzing your performance, otherwise there's nothing for your adult brain to do while your child brain is enjoying the playing with action figures element.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Swilo posted:

+The game is coded entirely in javascript and runs inside a chrome browser, this is why they're trying to switch to a new engine powered by Unity.

lol

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

you know the Foscari are the natural enemies of vampires

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

they should make a vampire survivors movie. it's like hitchcocks the birds except instead of birds there are monsters from castlevania

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Man among the VS-likes I've played, Scarlet Tower (so far) seems to be the one that seems to blatantly copy it the most in terms of the basic stuff.

thats fine except they copied the six weapon limit which just isn't needed. the weapon limit works for vs but there's no reason to have that the default way for games of the genre. also the weapons are hard to tell apart

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i called it! bonus points if the show has the phrase "foscari are the natural enemies of vampires you know." the last dlc, especially the name, was a tipoff they were trying to inject some lore in there in anticipation of diversifying the property.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Good tip on the 99c Touhou game, but how do I take my first levelup item and continue? I smashed the steam deck controls and the keyboard, I think something in there is not displaying right. I'm sorry I'm not so smart

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Said dev is also now on cloud 9 having sold more than 1,000 copies

Doesn't it just warm your heart? :3:

dis astranagant posted:

Drag items to open inventory slots, press r to rotate them if needed. They're all yours if you can make them fit. Right click the red junk in your inventory to turn them into open slots at the cost of crystals. The big sign that says "close gap" exits the inventory.

Thanks!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Captain France posted:

It doesn't have it's own built-in controller support, so you'll probably want to remap menu stuff for your Steam Deck. I think mine had left click on R3 for some reason?

Speaking of Touhou Vampire Survivors, though, I think I like this other one more, and it's on sale on Itch.io with a steam key for $2.71

https://tayl1r.itch.io/touhou-library-survivors

Let's help them reach their $100 goal!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Being under $5 is part of the definition of the genre. A $10 game is not in the genre.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ExiledTinkerer posted:

...Remember when it was a thing in a latter day'ish Final Fantasy that they suddenly had Shiva turn into a motorcycle? Well...Champion Shift:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2391900/Champion_Shift/ Demo now, Prologue thing in some weeks

i gotta say the turning into a car thing adds coherence to the format. great idea.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Tactical Nexus

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

DRG:S locking "make your weapons not suck" behind having to level them up to 12 without any bonuses that run is such a bafflingly bad idea I have no idea how it got past any level of design.

Especially because half the weapons still suck even once you can do that.

you should use the /feedback feature in their discord!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Jedit posted:

I used the /refund feature on Steam instead. They managed to successfully identify every feature that made Vampire Survivors fun and remove it. I don't trust them to listen to feedback.

Yes well, that's the difference between a raucous game and a fastidious one. The professionalism and polish mindset. I agree that mechanically it's conservative-to-stingy for no reason and to ill effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm loling about the way this genre is turning out after a year or two. It's such an easy format. Anybody could make one of these games, and add their twist, any twist, mechanically, visually with handmade outsider art like Hylics, rhythm elements, it's so easy to make a standard one of these and then vary it. But look at these games. It really lays bare the creative nothing behind most wannabe devs' wherewithal. And now it looks like instead of a "survivors" being a format for untapped creativity, by democratizing-simplifying the central mechanic, it'll be another thing sucked into the third person action RPG genre. It shows you how many people who wanna make a game have no other goal than that in itself, and no reason to do it. These are the same people who'd have been saying "I wanna be a guitar player in a rock band" 50-30 years ago. "Oh yeah, what kind of rock songs?" "I don't care, guitar players get laid!" But game devs don't.

Just say "What crazy thing would I have wanted to center a video game around when I was nine years old?" and it'll be more worthwhile than the default. Go ask someone who's nine years old if you can't remember.