Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
sometimes in the gba games like, 16~19 is fine too but the point is don't promote a level 10 unit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Kinu Nishimura posted:

sometimes in the gba games like, 16~19 is fine too but the point is don't promote a level 10 unit

What they said.

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?
A couple of votes here, for what they're worth:

-Don't promote Dieck.
-Use Alen and Wade in contrast to the other FE6 LP using Lance and Lot.
-Use Elen, at least until promotion. I am living for her new sprite and I'd love to see what that color palette looks like on a Bishop.

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
Don't promote, level 10 is way too early.

I have a playthrough of this I should return to, I got distracted after chapter... 16x I want to say? But I found it way more fun than vanilla FE6 and I've been using some units who normally get a bad rap. Like Shanna, she's being pretty competent and got the Roy A support as her reward. I really should get back to that...

Also I'd like to throw in a vote for giving Clarine a chance, she didn't get one in either of the LPs before this one.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Shanna has a (deserved) bum rap, but the biggest perk of being a GBA Pegasus Knight is that, unless the RNG just actively hates you, they can at least function as a dodge tank

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

theshim posted:

promoting before 20 is a

(Obviously this isn't an actual vote, I just couldn't help myself.)

Also, stupid question, does anyone know how to do the thing where you link to a specific post and it shows only that post?

E:

Delphisage posted:

Please don't go promoting Dieck at the first opportunity.

Weird, that enemy Pegasus Knight is a Wyvern Rider in Maniac Mode. I don't get why you'd need to lower the difficulty that much for Hard, it's still using stationary-until-enemy-in-range AI.

To be fair, at least as I understand it the original release version of the base hack predates maniac and the other side modes by a lot, they weren't developed concurrently (and iirc from skimming the FE Universe thread, they're not necessarily at version parity even now). So it's less a matter of lowering the difficulty for hard as it is raising it for maniac.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 6, 2022

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

FoolyCharged posted:

Hell, it isn't like he's got any future with the massive nerf bat to the face that he took. He's got darn near the same stats for a 5 level boost. I say we let him have his time in the sun.

Honestly, I'm in this boat, this was the first stat change to be a real punch in the Dieck.

Regrettably, become bros with Marcus as a sort of Seth.

With all the boosts to STR and DEF across the board, he's likely going to be behind our present units unless he gets real lucky. Lance has already almost overtaken these bases at half the level. Assuming promotion gains are the same (they're probably not), it still puts him up to a solid 32 HP, 12 STR, 14 SPD, and 11 DEF alongside +1 MOV and his high con.

And really, at the end of the day, it's FE6. They throw tons of units at us, Ogier or Echidna can pick up the Hero slot.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cattail Prophet posted:

Also, stupid question, does anyone know how to do the thing where you link to a specific post and it shows only that post?

Press the # symbol next to that post.

Fake edit: Wait, that just links to the post as part of the thread, not to only that post.

Promote Dieck, early promoted units can be real life savers, and there are a ton more promotion items in Project Ember than in the vanilla game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cattail Prophet posted:

E:

To be fair, at least as I understand it the original release version of the base hack predates maniac and the other side modes by a lot, they weren't developed concurrently (and iirc from skimming the FE Universe thread, they're not necessarily at version parity even now). So it's less a matter of lowering the difficulty for hard as it is raising it for maniac.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&noseen=1&postid=526053617

Use the bolded part and enter the post id after it.
You can get the post id by clicking the hash symbol button under the avatar.

Otherwise theres this userscript
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/4596-something-awful-single-post-link/code

And it adds a button linking to a single post to each post on the page.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Cattail Prophet posted:

First, his name is "Shin", so the pun doesn't work.

Second, I just find it bizarre that they'd add a Peg Knight at all. The Wyvern Rider was something I mostly thought existed to be a neat touch when I played Maniac, because Bern's whole deal is Wyvern Riders and it's fun to see one appear in your first fight with Bern where they'd used to take until Chapter 7 to appear. I guess in theory the flier is there to deter players from having Thany lurk on the peaks while Dieck and co are turtling at the forts, but 1: There's no need to do so when she can just hide south of the forts instead or head west to help Roy's group, 2: there's already a couple archers to deter Thany, and 3: Marcus can easily lure the flier out on the first turn.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 6, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Rigged Death Trap posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&noseen=1&postid=526053617

Use the bolded part and enter the post id after it.
You can get the post id by clicking the hash symbol button under the avatar.

Otherwise theres this userscript
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/4596-something-awful-single-post-link/code

And it adds a button linking to a single post to each post on the page.

Thanks for this, now the OP has a proper table of contents.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.
Thanks for the LP, interesting to see the changes! I’m not into the mod scene and I only played through base FE6 once many years ago, but it seems like the approach to rebalancing in a lot of mods is just to buff everyone, including enemies. Is this just the general approach to game rebalancing where buffs “feel good” and nerfs “feel bad”? Seems like that can be taken to the extreme, like did Merlinus really need that +1 skill boost to be more balanced? :confused: Does Merlinus use skill in any calculations at all?

Also, weirdest change to me so far is making all of the weapons Title Case. Not sure I get the thought process behind that and it’s really bugging me for some reason.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

coiol posted:

like did Merlinus really need that +1 skill boost to be more balanced? :confused: Does Merlinus use skill in any calculations at all?

Also, weirdest change to me so far is making all of the weapons Title Case. Not sure I get the thought process behind that and it’s really bugging me for some reason.

All Merlinus uses Skill for is dodge calculations I think, so it's a pretty minor and random change. Maybe the devs know something we don't, and this 1 point of Skill revolutionizes Merlinus gameplay entirely, but I doubt it.

As for Title Casing all the weapons, I'm guessing it's done to make it fall in line with post GBA-era games.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Odd Wilson posted:

All Merlinus uses Skill for is dodge calculations I think, so it's a pretty minor and random change. Maybe the devs know something we don't, and this 1 point of Skill revolutionizes Merlinus gameplay entirely, but I doubt it..

I thought Skill only affected the unit's accuracy and crit rate. What does Merlinus need a maxed skill cap for?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Honestly I doubt the hacker put that much thought into Merlinus's stats one way or the other. It's not like he's leveling up anyway. The big spreadsheet that lists everyone's growth rates didn't even include him, I had to go digging in the rom myself for those.

And yeah, skill does literally nothing for him, but vanilla Merlinus has a skill stat too, so :shrug:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
All I truly know is that this is a completely missed opportunity to add a Merlinus promotion where he can run enemies over with the cart

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Odd Wilson posted:

All I truly know is that this is a completely missed opportunity to add a Merlinus promotion where he can run enemies over with the cart

Or if they have to stick with the weapons already in the game, a heavily armed cart with bows to the side and a ballista on the top.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh and im vote/suggesting a B Team run
Deploy every also-ran from the base game

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

It's a long way out, but I'm wondering how they're gonna make Hugh worth his initial cost? My guess is a Prf tome and an absolutely jacked Def/HP stat to make him the tankiest anima user.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Probably gonna call it after I get home from work unless a bunch of votes to promote suddenly come out of the woodwork.

E:

Voting is closed!

Promote Dieck?

Yes: 4
No: 10

Can't say I'm not a little relieved, but then again there is something to be said for being forced out of your comfort zone every once in a while.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 7, 2022

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
This LP encouraged me to give Project Ember another go. I really dislike FE6's early game, so even with all the new stuff I just kinda dropped it.

I'm a little bit ahead, and having a blast. Roy and Wade of all people have snowballed like crazy. Can't say the same about Dieck though. I do kinda regret not promoting him, so hopefully yours will do better.

Delphisage posted:

Second, I just find it bizarre that they'd add a Peg Knight at all. The Wyvern Rider was something I mostly thought existed to be a neat touch when I played Maniac, because Bern's whole deal is Wyvern Riders and it's fun to see one appear in your first fight with Bern where they'd used to take until Chapter 7 to appear. I guess in theory the flier is there to deter players from having Thany lurk on the peaks while Dieck and co are turtling at the forts, but 1: There's no need to do so when she can just hide south of the forts instead or head west to help Roy's group, 2: there's already a couple archers to deter Thany, and 3: Marcus can easily lure the flier out on the first turn.
I don't think the flier up north was supposed to prevent any one specific strategy, but simply to add some pressure to the top of the map, along with that lone merc at the start.
The maps in this mod rarely have areas empty of enemies, from what I've seen so far.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I've started playing it myself, and I gotta say that the extra range on bows does create an interesting space for them. They're able to chip in a little extra damage from a truly safe distance, and enemies can force you to rethink your formations. It is painfully obvious the boss placement in particular isn't designed with the range in mind. It'd be fairly easy to just have a mob of archers plink a boss to death (assuming they're capable of dealing damage of course) at absolutely no danger to themselves.

They're still not good on the enemy phase (for player bows at least) but it creates a very nice niche of safely deleting or damaging dangerous enemies, and I really appreciate that!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The armies of Lycia had gathered here to make preparations to strike back at Bern.

a messenger brings them shocking news they can scarcely believe. Native to Bern are savage flying reptilian creatures known as wyverns. Leading Bern's army is a trio of elite commanders known as the Wyvern Generals, named so for their combat prowess, which is said to be comparable to the wyverns.

virtually decimating the Lycian Army while it was little prepared.

You know, this translation may be heaps better than the old one, but the word choice and sentence construction can still be a little funky sometimes. I maybe would've gone with "ill prepared" here as a turn of phrase that flows more naturally.

both to see it for himself and, hopefully, find and aid any survivors...

It occurs to me that it's possible someone might've taken the teaser from last time seriously and thought that the hack adds a way for you to save and recruit Hector. If that's you, I sincerely apologize; this is not the case. Hector is going to be as dead as Her Maj soon enough.

His Maj, however, will be loving off to fight another day.

: Good. Bring him before me.

: Black-hearted fiend...!

: Ah, Lord Hector. You have my highest praise for lasting so long against two of my Wyvern Generals. I suppose Ostia's reputation as the most powerful house in Lycia is well-earned. The strongest of a pile of worms is hardly a match for my boot, however. Your end is nigh. If you've any last words, I suggest you spit them out.

: Just tell me... Why...?

: What was that?

: Bern and Lycia... We were always on good terms with each other... Even when you took the throne, we always paid our respects to Bern...

Huh, I never noticed the subtle foreshadowing here for Guinivere's lategame exposition about the messy succession.

: Respect? Pah. Don't make me laugh. The whole continent shall be my domain. Only then can the world be liberated. I lack the time to concern myself with such trivial matters as "respect."

: You mean to liberate... the world? What do you speak of...?

: Pay it no heed. You won't live to see it anyway.

: You there! Take him away!

: Yes, Your Majesty!

: Yes, be on your way.

: ...One matter before I leave, Your Majesty. If you will allow my opinion, I would not place so much trust in that... woman.

: Do you speak of Idunn?

: Yes, Your Majesty. The men call her the "Dark Priestess" and find her presence... disturbing. I understand that she is a shaman of great power, but-

: Brunnya, do you doubt my judgment?

: Ah...! No, of course not, Your Majesty! I just think-

: Your duty is not to think. Your duty is to follow orders. Is that clear?

: ...Yes, Your Majesty. Your will shall be done.

: Dear me, the words that come out of my mouth sometimes...

And then Brunnya disappeared from the plot for almost the entire game.

: Yeah, probably. I saw some of Bern's soldiers take him into the castle.

I'm sorry, I just really love Chad's delivery here.

: Chad, was it? Do you know the inside of Castle Araphen well?

: I guess so. ...Wait, are you guys going to try to save Lord Hector? Sounds like a bad idea to me. Most of Bern's forces are gone, but there are still plenty of soldiers in the castle. Marching in would be suicide.

: Perhaps. But you said most of their army is already gone. We can't afford to lose Lord Hector. If we have a chance, we must take it.

: Really, now...? I'll come with you then. I can show you around the castle.

Spoilers: Chad will in fact be one of the last people to enter the castle.

: What? You don't have to do that. Please, just explain what the interior of the castle is like.

: I've got a bone to pick with Bern. Please, let me go with you!

: If you insist, we're happy to have you. I think your skills will be an asset.

: Yeah, I can pick any locked doors or chests!

: I didn't think the invasion would pick up so quickly...

: Princess, you're not responsible for this. Please don't blame yourself. Besides, Lycia is still united.

...Yeaahhh, suurrre.

: We just need Lord Hector to lead our army so we can fight! We must retake Castle Araphen for all of Lycia... and for Lilina...

: ......

: Let's move out!

This map is chock full of firsts. Up here we have the first enemy mage, guarding the village where we recruit our first mage.

He's not playing around either, that's enough to take a solid chunk out of anybody.

Just below our dangerous friend we have the first instance of a change in the map design itself. There's a door here now, which will be a godsend for getting Lugh and whoever else we send up here back into the action more quickly.

In the rightmost edges of the map you can find cavaliers in both light and heavy varieties.

As the name might suggest, heavy cavaliers tend a bit more towards strength and bulk as opposed to skill and speed.

By the way, while these ones may only be carrying axes, heavy cavaliers do retain lance access as well.

They're also throwing a promoted unit at us already, though aside from the higher defense he's not really much different from all the unpromoted knights running around. We'll make sure to have Chad yoink his vulnerary, since he'll be passing through here anyway to get to the chests. And speaking of Chad:

pre:
Growths

HP   75   Lck  80
Str  40   Def  25
Skl  50   Res  25
Spd  60
Oddly enough, Chad's new growths are arguably worse overall. He's lost HP, strength, and speed in exchange for luck and a resistance growth that I still wouldn't exactly call good. I guess it's only fair, though, since he gets twice as many opportunities to level up. That's right, thieves can promote now! And no having to hunt down a rare fell contract or ocean seal either, they just use hero crests. They also have our first class=locked weapon. Knives are nice to have as a ranged option, though the low might means that lategame they're only really good for chip damage. The true secret to Chad's success, however, is that thieves still have their weird accelerated experience curve. With regular use, he'll easily end up several levels ahead of the rest of your army, and stay that way. A Chad that gets lucky with his growths early on can coast on that level advantage through basically the entire midgame. His combat will eventually fall off a bit as other units start to catch up, but he'll still be serviceable. Plus, you know, thief utility.

One last thing before we start, I want to call your attention to this archer's attack range. The first time I played, I made the mistake of baiting him to the left instead of down. Once he's up against the wall, he can threaten almost that entire exterior area, leaving only a one tile wide path to avoid him. This is the sort of thing that people who dislike 3 range bows are talking about. One extra range may not seem like much, but when you're dealing with narrow corridors, it can mean the difference between having somewhere safe to stand or not. That said, this is the only time I can remember it really bugging me personally.

I'd say we're moving on to the action now, but this first turn won't exactly be action-packed; the soldier here is the only enemy we can actually reach. We'll have Lot take a crack at him.

He's not in enough danger yet that the dodge really matters, but it's still nice to see.

Chad, Wade, and Marcus are heading north to deal with those enemies and recruit Lugh. This spot in particular will let Marcus bait and weaken one of the soldiers.

The rest of our mounted units will intercept the enemy cavalry in the southeast before visiting the other village.

Everyone else is going to advance into the castle, making sure that the squishies are at least somewhat protected.

...Wait, did I run the numbers to make sure Dieck could actually survive?

No, no I did not. Welp, looks like that's a res-

-pectable dodge you just pulled off there! Maybe he tapped into the power of the alternate universe where we promoted him and he was able to tank both hits no problem.

Before turn 2 starts, the game directs our attention over to the village.

: Of course. The St. Elimine Church will take good care of the orphans. And what will you do, Lugh?

: I'm going to stay here. I have some things to take care of.

: Is that so...? Please be safe.

: Yes, you too.

: You're not coming with us, Lugh?

: I'm going to wait for Chad. We'll catch up with you later...

: Yay! Chad's coming too?

: Of course.

: I want Raigh back too!

: Yes... If Raigh would come back we could all be together again.

: Don't take too long.

: Yes, yes. Hurry along now...

...Why does the boy look like a mini Lugh? Does Nino have a third child???

Here's the current situation. We should be fine down south, but the western trio may have bitten off more than they can chew.

In my head I was using this as a sort of test to see if I trust Wade to survive, but it doesn't actually matter. He can still take the hit from the mage after this, and if the mage and the knight both hit then he'd be dead even if he'd dodged it.

At any rate, I've already had one close call. Better not to tempt fate a second time. Luckily Marcus has just enough movement to get totally out of range of the weakened soldier, ensuring that Chad gets the counterkill.

I do need to check that he isn't in range of the other enemies, though. Pretty sure they both straight up one shot him.

Back down south, Alen sets up a kill for Shanna that doesn't require her to spend wing spear uses.

Cool, cool, so this is going to be one of those Shannas.

Now to make sure that Alen doesn't die, which means it's time for Merlinus to embrace his role as bait.

Lance completes the defensive formation while switching Shanna to the wing spear, just in case the cavalier decides to go after her instead for some reason.

Lot and Elen erase a soldier and my tactical error, respectively.

We clean up the rest, and move on to enemy phase.

In a stroke of genius, I actually remember to let the knight take hits.

Huh, I wasn't expecting us to have reached the point where Merlinus gets ORKOed already. Sorry, buddy!

Check it out, nearly half a level just for killing a measly soldier!

Don't mind me, just double checking whether or not Merlinus's sacrifice was actually necessary (it was).

A demonstration of the difference the wing spear makes. With the exception of chapter 5, everything up until Ostia is going to have plenty of horses for her to pick off even if she never gains a point of strength.

Lance and Alen tag team the other cavalier, and Alen gets a level for his troubles. It's pretty good!

Marcus sets things up so that Wade can at least theoretically counterkill the knight without the mage being able to attack him. The knight almost certainly won't be stupid enough to actually go for it, but it's the thought that counts.

Chad, in turn, hides behind Wade and commandeers his vulnerary.

Things are slowing down a lot for the main force. This is the only enemy we can reach, and that other soldier is the only one that's going to be able to attack anybody on enemy phase.

Roy does hit B swords from this, though. We haven't even seen any C rank swords yet!

We patch Roy up, and everyone enters the castle proper. Okay, time for enemy pha-

Geez, so many interruptions!

: What's left of the enemy are likely putting up one last fight.

: ......

: Send the dragons back to Bern as planned.

: Yes, Your Majesty. As you will.

: Narcian, I leave Lycia in your hands.

: ...What shall I do with the remnants of the Lycian Army?

: Kill all who stand against you.

: ...What of women and children?

I get the distinct sense that Narcian is asking for permission here more than clarification.

: Was I unclear? Kill all who stand against you. Grind them to dust. Ensure no others dare dream of opposing us.

: Of course, Your Majesty. Hm hm hm...

And so the revolving door begins...

: Well, I think it's time I left as well. Slater, I entrust the castle to you.

Lol, he couldn't even wait five seconds, a true master of delegation.

: Might I inquire where you're going, sire?

: A marquess who turned against Lycia has a special gift for me. He says it's a girl of Etrurian nobility... Hm hm hm...

You know, I don't think it ever comes up, but it's likely that Erik's treachery is the reason that Bern knew where to strike for this surprise attack. Also, obligatory ewww. I'm pretty sure this game came soon enough after Kaga left that parts of it are still pieced together from his leftover notes, so I guess this shouldn't be surprising.

: Etrurian nobility? She must be quite a catch!

Ew.

: Yes, the marquess tells me she's a beautiful thing.

Ew.

: You must be looking forward to it, sire. Please be careful on your way there.

: You be careful too, Slater. Don't let these scattered remnants defeat you. Should you fail, I personally will order your evisceration.

: Ha ha ha ha...!

Some cavalier reinforcements take Narcian's place as he leaves. There'll be more coming later.

Okay, now we can start enemy phase. As expected, the knight goes for the unit that can't hurt him at all over the one that kills him in one hit.

By the way, Marcus gets the world's most useless crit on the counter. Stop hogging all the good RNs, other people need them!

What did I JUST say?! For real though, this is a convenient dodge, since there's no healer with this group and all three of them are sharing the one vulnerary.

Especially since those heavy cavs are rapidly closing in. I would've liked to be able to grab Lugh before having to deal with them, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Now that we can see into the boss room, we can take a look at what we're in for. Quite frankly, Slater is nearly indistinguishable from any of the generic knights in this chapter; the real boss is the throne he's sitting on.

That's still a ways off, however. For now it's time to reassure the citizenry.

: Here, take this and go quickly. We may be occupied by Bern, but we're still Lycians at heart!

Neat! It's a bit overkill for Elen at the moment, but we are about to pick up some less magically inclined healers.

Heavily wounded and with nothing left for them down here, this group starts to rejoin the rest of the army.

Meanwhile, the knight and mage are just close enough that we can finally get rid of them. We need to do things in a very specific order for the best results, though. First Chad takes out the mage.

I was right earlier about him getting one shot, but it doesn't matter now. That's an 89 on the experience bar, by the way.

Next, Marcus takes the vulnerary and heads north to meet the cavs.

That frees up his spot for Wade to come in and deliver the final blow.

Things will be picking up inside the castle soon, but this turn is still rather uneventful. If Bors was at full health or Lot was the one leading the pack, I'd feel more comfortable drawing out the knight too, but instead I settle for just the fighter.

Roy finishes the weakened soldier for a mediocre level, and Wolt and Lot team up against the full health one.

I have Dieck move before getting healed so Elen doesn't get left too far behind, and we're ready to end turn.

Literally the only combat on enemy phase. Sadly we're mostly past the point where Bors can double things unless his speed growth decides to kick in.

It was close, and I had to think for a bit to make sure there was a safe way to do it, but Marcus can in fact get to Lugh this turn.

: Please, let me fight with you! I don't have any useful information, but I can use a bit of magic! I'm sure I can help you!

Marcus has just enough move to get back to this tile, and between him and the forest there's enough of a barrier to keep Lugh out of harm's way.

pre:
Growths

HP   70   Lck  50
Mag  40   Def  20
Skl  60   Res  30
Spd  60
Lugh heard about Bern's propensity for wyverns and came prepared! Unfortunately for him, it'll be a few more chapters before he can break his fancy tome in properly. He's the Fast MageTM, and his skill is good too, but his magic is just okay. His resistance isn't that great either, making him fragile against all sources of damage. He's honestly fine, but tomes as a whole have been reworked to make anima not just completely superior to everything else, so there's more of an argument for replacing him with other magic users later on. He might have a surprise for us if we invest in him, though. :ssh:

He should be safe here, and conveniently it also puts him in range for Chad to talk to him.

: Lugh?! What are you doing here?

: We were hiding here.

: Oh... Where's everybody else? Are they all right?

: Yeah, the St. Elimine Church is going to watch over them.

: And what about you?

: What?

: Why are you still here?

: ...The same reason as you.

Lugh's got a point, Chad doesn't have much room to talk here.

: What?! Lugh, you're not thinking of...!

: I can use some magic! Remember I borrowed that fire tome from Poppa's room?

What was Lucius even doing with that? He uses light, not anima.

: Lugh, you can't. You're incapable of harming others.

: But...

: I'm going to avenge Poppa. You stay with the others, Lugh.

: I'm not going to hide anymore! I'm tired of everyone leaving me...! Poppa, you, and even Raigh... I want to fight to protect the people that I care for. I can't let others die for me my whole life!

: Lugh... Fine. Once we finish Bern we can go back and see everyone again!

: Yeah!

Wade awkwardly intrudes on that touching reunion while Shanna and the cavs continue their advance. Elen might get around to healing them. Eventually.

Sorry if it feels like I'm showing Roy too much favoritism, by the way. He's actually still lower level than everyone except Shanna and the new recruits.

Time for another trading chain! I want Dieck to end up with this armorslayer.

That's... C bows? I think? Again, there hasn't even been a steel bow to give him yet.

These two have a sword and a javelin, neither of which are any real threat to Bors, so it should be safe to put him here.

Lot and Dieck finish out the chain, leaving the knight with no good options for avoiding damage.

Okay fine, I guess Shanna can get healed. The hack does mess with WEXP values, and I think I remember reading somewhere that base staff ranks in particular had to go through a few rounds of adjustments to compensate balancewise. It's probably the reason that Elen started halfway to C rank.

Annoyingly, the knight picked the space to Bors's right, blocking the sword cav from attacking when we could've used the chip from the counter. Also, I guess Marcus didn't need that vulnerary after all.

Number one priority this turn is to get that door open, which means Chad is unavailable to help deal with the cavaliers.

Number two priority is to break up this logjam. It's gonna be all hands on deck!

Wolt starts by sniping a cav through the wall, picking up another above average level. He's looking really solid, you guys!

Wade and Lugh finish clearing the way for Chad. I haven't been pointing out sprite changes much, mostly because there's so many little tweaks here and there that it's hard to keep track, but notice that Lugh has ditched the hood, making him much less banana-y looking. Whether this is a good or bad change I leave as an exercise to the reader.

And voila! Door open.

It may seem counterintuitive to just axe this guy to death instead of using one of our effective weapons, but Roy and Dieck are both needed elsewhere.

Our boy takes out the javelin cav, and finally he's the one getting a lucky miss to go his way.

Bors claims the sword cav with an assist from Marcus, and Dieck clears the field.

These guys are still putzing along back here, and Elen gets a level from continuing to heal them. More HP is nice, but otherwise this is basically Elen.png.

Nobody's in range to attack us on enemy phase, but this pair of cavaliers spawned in a couple turns ago and have arrived to replace the set we just killed.

I'm pretty sure this knight doesn't move, and the fighter behind him only has a hand axe, so we can afford to play a little aggressively right now. He also has weirdly low stats for some reason? Maybe they forgot to give him hard mode bonuses.

Between the three of them, Roy, Bors and Dieck easily dispatch the second wave of cavs. They even all level up! Kinda sorta, anyway.

After that, it's just a lot of unexciting forward movement, plus a little healing.

Oh, here's something mildly interesting. Rather than double back to the door, I decide to have Marcus keep going around the outside. No idea if it's actually faster, but it cuts down on congestion at least.

Don't let the halo fool you, Roy is very much alive! I was right, by the way; the knight didn't move.

I guess Dieck will just have to move him for us, then. He's so weak that he gets OHKOed outright by the armorslayer even after weapon triangle disadvantage.

Dieck also manages to nickel and dime his way to a level finally. It's... sparse, but I wouldn't call it bad. He needs to do better than "not bad" if he wants to keep up, though.

Bors and Roy take care of the fighter in what turns out to be a bit of a mistake. It's not super serious, mostly just kind of annoying.

Lot gets ready to bait out the last generic knight on the map. Can you spot the problem yet?

Lance passes that mend staff on to Elen, who returns the favor, and everyone else moves on up.

On enemy phase, Lot picks up his first level and Roy flirts with danger.

Here's the issue: because the archer couldn't resist the sweet siren call of juicy protagonist and moved out of his corner, nobody except our own archer can attack him through the wall, and Wolt is a space too far to reach. Thanks to the fresh wave of reinforcements, it's not safe for Roy to go down and deal with the problem himself, either.

We could just kill Slater and seize now, but then we'd be missing out on treasure. Plus, while I'm not one to deliberately wait out all the reinforcements, I do generally like the map to be empty when I seize.

Instead we'll have to do a little shuffle to get Roy to safety and try to coax the archer back over.

Retreat isn't the only order of the day, though. Roy hands Bors a vulnerary so he can heal up while keeping the pressure on.

Elen deals with our game over waiting to happen while Alen finishes off the knight. Huh, I just noticed that their names are only one letter off from each other, weird.

Lot moves out of the way so we can set up a rescue chain to get Lugh in position. He's going to burn down our heavily armored friend guarding the treasure vault.

Chad heads down there too, of course, but he won't be much help as far as dealing damage goes.

Marcus's flanking operation is almost complete! :toot:

: ...What awaits me... is a fate worse than death...!!

Good news, you won't have to worry about that, because we're just going to kill you ourselves.

NO DAMA

In other news, the archer took the bait, and Marcus apparently makes for a more tempting target than Bors. For those keeping track, he still hasn't taken any damage since using that vulnerary way back on turn... 4? I'd hate to have wasted it...

Like I said, no damage. That's okay though, because...

...it means the general will definitely target him over Lugh, putting him over the top for a level.

It's a good thing he doesn't start with the hand axe equipped, that would complicate the process significantly,

The one saving grace of enemy archers is that their stats are usually pretty bad, so they're easy to kill once you get them cornered.

Bors and Marcus clear out the cavs and- okay this is just getting silly.

Everyone piles into the boss room. It's getting a little crowded in here...

Ha, just as planned! Not exactly the strongest start, though. Hopefully he'll get more chances to contribute once there aren't quite so many lances running around.

Wade will remember that.

Some more replacement cavaliers showed up at the end of the enemy phase, but more importantly, it's finally time to start looting!

He does need to gain some magic eventually, but this is still a good level.

First chest just has some gold in it. I know for a fact that some of the contents of chests have been changed, but uh, please don't expect me to have intimate enough knowledge of what's in the vanilla chests to be able to tell you whether or not any individual chest has something new.

The streak has ended! Still not enough damage to justify that vulnerary use, though. :(

But hey, check out that experience bar. Everyone get hype!

Alen finishes the job, and the plan was to have Roy take care of the other one, until I noticed that this puts him too far away to seize next turn. There aren't enough other people in range to rescue-drop him, either.

We can't just do nothing, though, or else Alen might die, so he's getting rescue-dropped instead.

I told you Wade would remember that.

Slater is so unremarkable that his death quote only takes up a single text box.

I've been having the weirdest luck with resistance growths. Alen's hit his twice already!

There's some other shuffling around, but none of it really matters. Those forests are putting in a lot of work to limit the enemy's potential targets.

Okay Marcus, we get it, you've made your point.

The other chest has a halberd, just in time for Erik and his many horses.

Lance and Alen complete the rout, with a decent level for the latter.

Elen squeezes in one last (bad) level, and we're out of here.

: We found Lord Hector in the dungeon!

...Where is the dungeon, anyway? That castle didn't have any stairs in it.

: He's gravely wounded...

Hector and I must have different ideas of what constitutes a good meeting.

: We must get you help! Here, lean on my shoulder...

: Don't worry yourself... I'm done for...

: Lord Hector...

: We were taken by surprise... We'd have never supposed that Bern had summoned dragons...!

: Dragons?!

Metal Ge- oh wait I already did that joke.

: Yes... The same dragons that humans fought against in the Scouring...

: The Scouring? I learned of that in my studies. Eons ago, dragon and human each had dominion of one half of Elibe. The Scouring was a war for total control of the continent...

: Very good, lad... The Eight Legends... defeated the dragons and led the humans to... victory...

: How did Bern summon dragons...?

By spending orbs, I assume. That's how I summon dragons at least.

: I... haven't the faintest... But... Bern was once the dragons' domain... Hartmut, one of the Eight Legends... was the founder of Bern... Perhaps... the reason... lies there...

I'll forgive Hector all these ellipsis, since he's literally dying and all.

: Lord Hector!

: Roy... Go to Ostia... You must... lead what remains of the Lycian Army... in my place...

: Me...? But...

: Fear not... in Ostia... is a weapon... that... can take down a dragon...

: A weapon?

I've never even played a Metal Gear game.

: Lilina can tell you more... Please take care of her... She... may act strong... But she is still a child... Please... don't let... her... d...

: ...I promise you, I won't.

: ...Lilina... Let me... see you... just... once more... Hrk...!!

RIP to a real one. :smith:

Next time: Marcus levels up!

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 14, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cattail Prophet posted:

Dieck also manages to nickel and dime his way to a level finally. It's... sparse, but I wouldn't call it bad. He needs to do better than "not bad" if he wants to keep up, though.

I would go so far to call a level with "just" strength and speed (and HP) a "good level", in fact.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

There's lots that could be said about that update but I'll leave it at this:

That door by lugh.:allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While I know you've said you won't do the comparison images with the normal FE6 anymore and that's fine, I feel it may be a good idea to at least put the stat and growth numbers to compare them with the changed ones, since here you make allusions to how they were changed but never show how they were originally. All of that can be gotten from Fire Emblem Wiki or another existing LP, so it shouldn't be too big an effort and it'd make it easier to see how things were changed, character-wise.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Good to hear that Assassin has been backported from 7. At least that's what I assume Thieves promote into.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

While I know you've said you won't do the comparison images with the normal FE6 anymore and that's fine, I feel it may be a good idea to at least put the stat and growth numbers to compare them with the changed ones, since here you make allusions to how they were changed but never show how they were originally. All of that can be gotten from Fire Emblem Wiki or another existing LP, so it shouldn't be too big an effort and it'd make it easier to see how things were changed, character-wise.

It's a fair point, and if it becomes a recurring issue I'll definitely consider changing course, but for now I'm sticking to my guns on this. There's very few characters I can think of offhand where I plan on referencing their vanilla stats at all, let alone in a way where the specific numbers matter.

You're absolutely right in this case, though, so what I will probably do is edit Chad's writeup itself to be more specific on the details of his growth changes.

Junpei posted:

Good to hear that Assassin has been backported from 7. At least that's what I assume Thieves promote into.

You'll just have to wait and see~ But maybe not as long as you think.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well it would make sense to make Astolfo a prepromote.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Welp, just ate my first reset, not due to anything that the game threw at me, I just had a huge tactical brainfart.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Sheesh, cavs with 15 strength and a mage with 11 magic and an elfire tome in chapter 3? How dumb are the numbers going to look in ten chapters?

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
It gets really dumb, really fast. I had fun playing Project Ember but man, it's so incredibly far from base FE6 it's wild. Also not a fan of how it seems to heavily favor certain units over others in terms of the perks it doles out, but that will become more and more obvious as time goes on.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
FE6 already heavily favored certain units over others. Have you ever seen someone take Sophia to endgame? Cath? Hugh? Cecelia? I'm fine with the scales being balanced in favor of buffing the weaker characters.

At least that's what I assume you're talking about, and not like, "Percival is officially the worst Paladin in the game now" or something to that effect.

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?

Junpei posted:

FE6 already heavily favored certain units over others. Have you ever seen someone take Sophia to endgame? Cath? Hugh? Cecelia? I'm fine with the scales being balanced in favor of buffing the weaker characters.

At least that's what I assume you're talking about, and not like, "Percival is officially the worst Paladin in the game now" or something to that effect.

lol I took three of those four to endgame

hint it was the three that use tomes

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I've never taken cath to endgame(because why would you take a theif to endgame? But she's been my main 5 finger discounter plenty of times. Sophia is fine and turns into a powerhouse once she gets going. It's painful as poo poo to get her moving, but taking her to endgame afterwards isn't a pain at all.

I won't pretend fe6 doesn't have some real poo poo units, but it's disparity issues have a lot more to do with hard mode bonuses innately making certain characters instant gods no levels required. Which tends to result in the same 6 people on every team

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.

Junpei posted:

Actually, honestly, Hugh is my favorite mage in base FE6. Lilina is kind of a pain being so slow and Lugh tends to get screwed for me. Hugh also having a pretty respectable defense is more just gravy. He's not a great unit, but he is very easy to use immediately out of the box. Cecelia doesn't to hit my endgame teams it's true, but she's a very solid unit through the midgame. I think she gets a little too much hate, honestly! She's not gonna outdo some of your other casters but she also comes literally free and is a very good staff user.

Sophia sucks, though. Cath is also, regrettably, one thief too late.

Uplifting bad units to be more easily used is definitely cool. But, there are some Ember character who kinda arbitrarily become gods out of nowhere and it's a little weird! That's a discussion for later, though.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

There's definitely at least a few characters that I'm going to have Words about when we get to them, don't you worry.

Also I ate poo poo again for being dumb and I'm actually kind of pissed off about it this time. The first reset erased an HP only level for Roy, but this time Shanna got a level with strength AND defense!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I started playing this rom hack bc of the thread reminding me it existed and its quite frankly unfair that i have to pay attention now, i already had a future unit die lol

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Torrannor posted:

I would go so far to call a level with "just" strength and speed (and HP) a "good level", in fact.

It's the Worst Good Level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
This hack does seem to play some interesting favoritism with at least one character I can think of, from the little I've played beyond the LP. I haven't looked to see how his growths changed, but he has a custom sprite & animation set and a kinda rad Prf weapon on what I always understood to be an otherwise bog standard "here's a replacement if your other (classnamehere) doesn't turn out well or dies" type of character.