Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

BlazetheInferno posted:

I don't know if it ever got commented on, I just binged through this, but it's interesting that they replaced the enemy Manakete sprites with recolors of Myrrh's dragon sprite from FE8.

TBH I don't even think I ever noticed this. :v:

There are a couple other sprite replacements I know about that I don't think I've ever pointed out. Off the top of my head, knights are definitely using a custom sprite, and I think fighters and soldiers are too.

quote:

Not sure how I feel about the change to the Crit formula? Yeah, it cuts down on early hostile crits, but it also cuts down on early potential *friendly* crits, and ultimately, really doesn't make a difference in the lategame. It's a difference of *maybe* five crit at the Turbo High End of Skill rates, and you have to get above 20 skill for it to start making any positive difference at all. All it really does is mostly remove crits from the early game. To some, that's safety. To others... it's boring.

A fair criticism to be sure. Applying the same formula to post 3DS stat inflation (or even RD for that matter) would go a long way towards making it more impactful at the high end.

I think it ends up mattering more in the enemy's hands, and consequently making luck more important for blue units. Like, we've got a whole lot of characters with luck stats in the general 10-15 range, so that extra couple of points once you pass 20 skill can often make a difference in whether or not those characters are facing visible crit from enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Sometimes I awkwardly shoehorn in commentary because I hate how a block of multiple screenshots looks aesthetically when there's an odd number. This is one of those times.

Bulgar has a history of being a free city without rule. However, after Bern's invasion,

Luckily it only really comes up with the world map events. Regular cutscenes are usually pretty good about not shuffling portraits around as frequently.

: If only we had more time to prepare our defenses!

: Please retreat to the mansion and fortify your defenses there.

Anyway, this rear end in a top hat. No, not Roartz, Kel.

: ...Do you think you can succeed in stopping them?

: I cannot say, but we will try.

: If you aren't confident you'll be victorious, then I'll--

: You'll what? Flee? Tell me, just where do you think you can hide?

: ......

: General Brunnya has ordered me to protect you. And so I shall, to the very limits of my ability. But there may come a time when you must take up arms as well.

: ...V-very well... Then I shall fortify the inside. I leave the outside to you.

Was, thank you very much. :colbert:

: Why does he deserve our protection?

: It's not as if General Brunnya cares for the man. She is obligated to protect him because he turned to our side. Wretched though he may be, we have a duty to fulfill.

Plus, you know, if that's not enough to make Roartz worth protecting, it doesn't exactly bode well for you and yours either.

: By the way, I understand the Silver Wolf has been lurking around here. Keep on guard at all times and be ready for anything.

: Yes, sir.

: ...We fight again today.

: Yes, we must. I am sorry I've had no time to speak with you at length.

: It is not your fault. ...If the blame lies with anyone, it is my brother.

Also the constraints of being characters in a video game. It wouldn't do to have this conversation offscreen, after all.

: Princess...

: ...Yes?

: May I ask why your father tried to murder King Zephiel?

: ...Zephiel and I have different mothers. In actuality, I am his half sister.

: I heard that Zephiel's mother was an Etrurian noblewoman.

: That's correct. They were arranged to be wed for political reasons. However, our father was already in love with another woman. That was my mother.

: The marriage between the king and Zephiel's mother was forced. Our father didn't love Zephiel's mother and always resented their son.

Don't get me wrong, Desmond sucks, but to be fair this whole situation is kind of hosed.

: Was that the cause of all the troubles that happened?

: No... I remember Zephiel working hard, vying for our father's affection. He was a brilliant scholar and a prodigy in combat. He grew to become a fine heir to Bern's throne.

Oh no! Spooky disembodied voice! :ghost:

: Understood. I only need a moment! Princess Guinivere, I am sorry, but I...

: No, I understand. Go. Please be careful.

They really milk this infodump for all it's worth, huh? Anyway, the map:

More nomads and more wyverns, hooray. :geno:

We do have slightly more enemy variety than last time. There's this random warrior hanging around, plus a handful of mages and sages.

Those two sages are incidentally the only two normal enemies worth showing off individually, if only so you're aware of what staves are in play. Everything else is pretty much par for the course at this point. I guess that shaman has another eclipse tome, but like, do we really care?

Once again there's nothing to steal except a couple elixirs. That said, our two options for getting into the city are to open the front gate or burn through a 100 HP wall. No getting clever with fliers either, they can't pass the outer walls. So, maybe bring a thief? Or just a door key, that works too.

Finally, we have Kel. Now, at this point there've been several bosses in a row who, at the end of the day, were relatively easy to take out. Furthermore, in vanilla Kel only has a light brand, so he's not really a serious threat.

Project Ember Kel... is neither of those things. Project Ember Kel is loving terrifying. In fact, I would go so far as to say he's the single scariest enemy we've faced yet. So far our go to strategy for swordmasters has been to park a high defense unit in front of them to tank any potential crits. Well guess what? This fucker can target resistance too. Barthe would get demolished. Also, those hit and avoid stats are both pretty competitive with what most of our own units can muster. That means that at best we're going to be putting up hit rates in the 70s, maybe the 80s if we use our most accurate bows and lances. And of course, he's going to have similar hit rates against us, so dodge tanking is right out.

There's one more factor working in Kel's favor here, and it might not be immediately obvious. Go back and look at where he's standing again. Notice how few spaces there are to attack him from? So even if we try to cheese him from range while he has the silver sword equipped, we need to have an exit strategy ready in case one of the handful of attacks we can make misses. And odds are one of them will.

It is worth noting that the light blade slows Kel down by three points, and it tanks his accuracy somewhat too, so that's... nice? It actually does matter a little bit if he has 29 speed like he does now, but if he rolls 30 instead it's not super relevant in terms of our options.

Speaking of, what are our options? Well, broadly speaking we have three* of them:

1. Cheese him from range anyway, and just accept that it's either going to be very slow (if we play it safe), or very unreliable (if we go for broke).

2. Barrier up one of our res tanks, park them at two range, and wear him down that way. This is both a more consistent and more interesting solution imo, but it's also somewhat reliant on certain characters getting deployed.

3. Player phasing him with a swordslayer on a general might work? I don't think it OHKOs, so we'd need some extra chip besides, and we'd still need an exit plan, because again, hit rates in the 70s. Also requires one of a couple characters to get voted in.

*Secret fourth option: Big brain Merlinus sacrifice play to buy us an extra turn of ranged poking before we need to start pulling people out of there.

So uh, let's do that. The voting, I mean.

Vote

Current Stats

No more Marcus question, but otherwise this is basically the same vote as last time, right down to the advice I have: archers good, fliers workable. I am gonna make one change, though; instead of forcing Fae in, I'm forcing Rutger in. Is this a bad idea? Extremely, but I feel bad about essentially snubbing him twice in a row now. Plus, this is his hometown after all. I realize that makes it sound like there might be hack exclusive content involving him here, but I promise there isn't. I really do just want to give him another chance. Shanna on the other hand? She actually got to contribute last chapter, technically. If she wants a second chance, she has to earn it like everyone else. :colbert:

...Sorry, getting off track there. Uhhh, 14 slots, 48 hours, go!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
wolt, elen, raigh, debias, gwendolyn, perceval, melady, gonzales, lilina, elfin, douglas, lowen, fir, astolfo

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Debias, of the four winds, Gwendolyn, Bors, barthe, Douglas, Geese, Gonzales, Garret, Shanna, wade, lot, Sophia, Sue, Shin

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 9, 2024

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Lilina, Douglas, Sophia, Elfin, Shanna x5.

LPer Choice of Sue or Shin.

Everything else is straight LPer Choice.

If this is Shanna's last chapter (assuming she doesn't promote), then... yeah, lets send her off with a roar whimper. But I'll admit I'm hoping she gets promoted for literally the lulz.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Klein, Fir, Trec, Lowen, Cecilia, Sin, Hugh, Wolt, Wade, Lot, Thea, Barthe, Geese and Lilina

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
Every General, Every Great Knight, Lilina, Melady, Zeiss, Sophia, Fae. Any remaining are LPer choice.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
All LPer’s choice

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
4x Sophia, 4x Lance, 4x Alen, 2x LPer's choice
I will make you use Sophia if it is the last thing I do. I want to know if her speed cap is limited to 23 like Raigh. If not, she's your one mage with both Mag and Spd.

Also, the christmas cavs are good and deserve a chance.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Hey, you never know, Niime could join with capped speed. :v:

Also, that reminds me. A point of clarification, since we're getting closer to the promotion deadline: if someone is sitting at 20 already and just waiting to use an item, the cutoff doesn't apply to them. So Dorothy, Sophia, and Zeiss are all safe. Obviously you should still vote for them if you actually want to see them get used, though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Douglas, Gwendolyn, Debias, Bors, Barthe

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Lilina, Elffin, Thea, Wolt, Ellen, Wendy, Fir, Raigh, Zeiss, Chad + 4x LPer's choice.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Cattail Prophet posted:

Hey, you never know, Niime could join with capped speed. :v:

Also, that reminds me. A point of clarification, since we're getting closer to the promotion deadline: if someone is sitting at 20 already and just waiting to use an item, the cutoff doesn't apply to them. So Dorothy, Sophia, and Zeiss are all safe. Obviously you should still vote for them if you actually want to see them get used, though.

oh then actually replace wolt, raigh, and melady in my votes with those three

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Half my votes go to Lilina, the other half go to Fir.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

All my votes for my boy Trek..

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Voting is closed!

Trec: 16
Lilina: 12
Fir: 10
Sophia: 8
Shanna: 6
Gwendolyn: 5
Douglas: 5
Debias: 4
Barthe: 4
Lance: 4
Alen: 4
Zeiss: 3
Elffin: 3
Lowen: 3
Bors: 3
Elen: 2
Gonzalez: 2
Geese: 2
Wade: 2
Lot: 2
Sin: 2
Wolt: 2
Thea: 2
Dorothy: 1
Perceval: 1
Astolfo: 1
Garret: 1
Sue: 1
Klein: 1
Cecilia: 1
Hugh: 1
Melady: 1
Fae: 1
Raigh: 1
Chad: 1

LPer's choice: 27

In what is surely the funniest possible outcome, I just barely don't have enough votes to kick Shanna out. Probably just as well that I'm not tempted though, because there's more important things to use those votes on. As things stand, all but one of the people sitting at 3 get to come. I know who I want to bump up from below: Wolt and Sin. Who to replace with them is trickier. ...I think Lance, Alen and Lowen get the boot. Yeah, that works. I did want to keep one of the Christmas cavs at first, but uh, we're actually out of knight crests. :shrug:

The team is: Roy, Rutger, Trec, Lilina, Fir, Sophia, Shanna, Gwendolyn, Douglas, Debias, Barthe, Zeiss, Elffin, Bors, Sin, Wolt

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

I did want to keep one of the Christmas cavs at first, but uh, we're actually out of knight crests. :shrug:
oh that's weird how'd that happen

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Truly one of life's great mysteries.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Huh, I thought they'd give enough for everyone to promote by this chapter. Too bad

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Alas, poor cavaliers.

Well, time for more Shanna!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

...Now that I think about it, there might actually be one either in one of the houses this map or a chest next map. Gotta be either that or a hero crest, since this route doesn't have any guiding rings.

E: Well this is embarrassing. I was skimming through the last couple updates to make sure we didn't already pick up a promotion item that I forgot about, and apparently I totally skipped over the second village in chapter 17. I'm pretty sure i visited it, iirc it had a tempest blade?

E2: Yep, here it is:

Just gonna sneak this into the update like nothing happened. :ssh:

Also confirmed that there is in fact another knight crest coming up (two, actually), but gently caress it, I'll stand by my decision.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 10, 2024

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Presented without comment:

(She actually got one more level after this, but that one wasn't as funny.)

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

Presented without comment:

(She actually got one more level after this, but that one wasn't as funny.)

Comparing starting level Shanna, she's gained the following
HP 8
Str 3
Skl 5
Spd 7
Lck 3
Def 1
Res 2

over 15 levels, for an average of 1.93333 stats per level.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

It's... beautiful. Has anyone seen a unit that wants stat points less?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Enjoying the mental image of happy mouth-open Shanna when you first recruit and grim pursed-lips Shanna by this point in time.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This is what happens when the general of your army has told everyone the only thing they're allowed to talk to you about is how arrows gently caress you up

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The fact that she got three one-stat levels in a row makes that incredibly hilarious.

And sad.

I need to know how far off she is from her averages there.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Shei-kun posted:

The fact that she got three one-stat levels in a row makes that incredibly hilarious.

And sad.

I need to know how far off she is from her averages there.

According to Serenes, Shanna's Level 18 Averages are...

HP: 24.65
Str: 9.1
Skl: 15.35
Spd: 20 (cap)
Lck: 15.2
Def: 7.7
Res: 9.25

Rounding .1 through .4 down, and .5 and up... up, thats...

25/9/15/20/15/8/9. Compared to the L18 image we have here, she's....

+2/-1/-3/0/-5/-2/-1. Give a round of applause to her health stat I guess. Of course, these are relative to her vanilla growths.... Which means she's even worse off here because all of her PE growths except luck are higher, and even that one's only 10 lower. Ouch.

SMaster777 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 16, 2024

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
:psyduck:

Girl what are you doing

She'd at least be somewhat usable with her original averages.

Abodmuthkat
Dec 9, 2013
To make things even worse, her averages from Project Ember at level 18 are:
HP: 28.75
STR: 10.25
SKL: 15.25
SPD: 20
LCK: 14.5
DEF: 7.25
RES: 11.25

So, her non-vanilla numbers, with some rounding, are:
Average: 29/10/15/20/15/7/11
Actual: 27/8/12/20/10/6/8
Diff: -2/-2/-3/0/-5/-1/-3.

Her averages are questionable at best, and it would take multiple perfect levels for Shanna to catch up to those averages.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Some FE LPs get a God Unit.

We have our Slacker Unit.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Okay fire Shanna into the sun. There is no saving her.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shanna wants out of this army so bad.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Okay fire Shanna into the sun. There is no saving her.

No, no, we've come this far. Let's see how far below her averages she can get.

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
I think that's the worst stat luck I've ever seen in an FE run

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I think I've posted her before, but as a point of comparison, here's what Shanna looked like in my original Project Ember run when I eventually benched her:

And like, this Shanna is also slightly below average overall iirc. But at least she's decently res blessed, for whatever that's worth. And she's not massively behind in skill and luck for no fuckin' reason. It is truly impressive how bad our Shanna is.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Greenking77 posted:

I think that's the worst stat luck I've ever seen in an FE run
I had this Eliwood when I replayed Blazing Blade at the beginning of the pandemic:

That's -11 on his averages after 10 levels.

On the other hand the same run also produced this Raven so clearly there was some kind of karmic balance going on.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I still remember an Aran I had that managed to max speed before promotion in Radiant Dawn. I need to go finish that run some day. I *think* I still have it.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
My first Engage run that I accidentally saved over had Bunet get 9 speed in 19 levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SMaster777 posted:

According to Serenes, Shanna's Level 18 Averages are...

HP: 24.65
Str: 9.1
Skl: 15.35
Spd: 20 (cap)
Lck: 15.2
Def: 7.7
Res: 9.25

Rounding .1 through .4 down, and .5 and up... up, thats...

25/9/15/20/15/8/9. Compared to the L18 image we have here, she's....

+2/-1/-3/0/-5/-2/-1. Give a round of applause to her health stat I guess. Of course, these are relative to her vanilla growths.... Which means she's even worse off here because all of her PE growths except luck are higher, and even that one's only 10 lower. Ouch.

Is that quiet quitting that was so popular in think pieces last year?