Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

drat gas is cheap in america

Joe didn't empty out the SPR for nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cirus posted:

Well I guess that answers my previous question "where is the SEC" lol

Cross-posted from cspam:

https://twitter.com/davidmarinojr/status/1602881117094297600

quote:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

AMD less than ten dollars away from being 66% down YTD :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zptu4ph6-U E: FYI This is good advice

Yeah but it's not like NVDA or INTC are doing much better

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

They think that all the hedge funds still have giant short positions against the stock and that they can get another, even bigger short squeeze to happen.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

To me it sounds like a big dramatic Elon-style gently caress you to try and get people to quit ahead of layoffs. Of course Goldman of all places can afford to give people free coffee, and there are certainly a million other more expensive costs they can cut. I think it's a whip-cracking measure, not a cost-cutting one.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

movax posted:

Looking at valuations / growth over the past decade, sometimes I have that feeling for well… everything. Growth has to be finite… right!?! :ohdear:

Reported

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

They missed the anniversary of the US one by two days but at least they got the part where the leader leaves and doesn't participate right

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

Is there an app I can download to select certain tickers that will show me option prices with a click or 2? I used to use robinhood’s app, but now I apparently have to have an account with them to see options pricing and I don’t want to do that

Yahoo finance has option prices.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

No promising AI company is going to be raising money from anyone but private investors like VCs, institutional investors, or already-existing trillion dollar companies like microsoft and google.

laxbro posted:

Microsoft has invested heavily in OpenAI. Between OpenAI and Blizzard they seem to be deploying their cash in seemingly smart ways in comparison to the other tech giants.

Don't forget how they bought github and immediately used all the code on it to train a code generation bot.

Space Fish posted:

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1615391455270559744?t=WbWrNBVi4MokMB_NL9ieZQ&s=19

Does this foreshadow the decline of the US dollar or a "where's my money" visit on the global stage?

Many things have been foreshadowing the decline of USD as single world reserve currency.

Idk if the US is going to invade saudi arabia like we did iraq and libya when they tried to sell oil in euros or another currency

The most relevant indicator today of the fragmentation of the USD world order has been the lack of success of the sanctions on russia (we effectively cut them off entirely from the dollar system) in destroying their economy.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 17, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The fed has said a lot while raising rates about how they want unemployment to be higher than it has been but the official numbers have barely budged. If inflation does fall back to 2-3% they could easily say that it's a mirage until more people are out on the street

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Can you go into more detail on this

CEOs bragging to investors in earnings calls about how they used inflation headlines as an excuse to jack up prices has been very commonplace.

https://theintercept.com/2022/09/28/inflation-prices-investors-iron-mountain/

quote:

Iron Mountain’s CFO Barry A. Hytinen also said on an earnings call this past April that “we do have very strong pricing power” and for the company, inflation is “actually a net positive.”

At the September 20 investor event, Meaney explained that “where we’ve had inflation running at fairly rapid rates … we’re able to price ahead of inflation” — that is, increase its prices at a greater rate than the high recent rates of inflation. As Meaney put it, raising prices “obviously covers our increased costs, but … a lot of that flows down to the bottom line.” He also noted that this didn’t just apply to his company: “People are seeing what FedEx, UPS, and others are having to do to actually manage their business and pass on that inflation.”

Later in the event, in response to a question from a JPMorgan Chase analyst, Meaney explained that the company had “been getting north of 200 basis points of price increase” — i.e., 2 percent — in the low inflation environment of the mid-2010s. But, he added, he had then hoped for inflation because “pricing for us is actually slightly accretive on the margin” with higher inflation.

Interestingly, both Meaney and Hytinen expressed momentary regret that what was good for Iron Mountain might be bad for everyone in general. “I wish I didn’t do such a good dance,” Meaney said last week, “but that’s more on a personal basis than on a business model.”

Hytinen told earnings call participants that “we feel for folks” regarding inflation, but “we have a high gross margin business, so it naturally expands the margins of the business.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/apr/27/inflation-corporate-america-increased-prices-profits

quote:

The Guardian’s findings are in line with recent US commerce department data that shows corporate profits rose 35% during the last year and are at their highest level since 1950. Inflation, meanwhile, rose to 8.5% year over year in March.

The Guardian’s analysis is the first to take a granular look at a cross-section of companies across a range of industries. It compared the most recent quarter’s profits to the same quarter two years prior, pre-pandemic. Price increases were obtained by checking earnings reports, though those often lacked specifics.

The data is not intended to be definitive, but does show how a wide sample of companies have raised prices even as profits jumped. In earnings call after earnings call, executives made no secret of their strategies.

As gas prices soared, Chevron’s 240% profit spike was part of “the best two quarters the company has ever seen”, prompting a dividend increase and assurances it would keep production low to maintain high prices.

Steel Dynamics profits increased 809%. The company was “not materially affected by inflation” as higher prices “exceeded” increased supply chain costs.

Fertilizer giant Nutrien’s profits shot up by about $1.2bn on “higher selling prices [that] more than offset higher raw material costs and lower sales volume”.

Nike’s 53% profit increase driven by higher prices was only “partially offset” by supply chain and inflationary cost increases.

Keurig-Dr Pepper’s “significant pricing actions” and productivity outpaced inflationary costs, leading to an 83% profit jump.

The analysis found commodity companies trading in oil, timber, rubber, meat, wheat, steel and mining recorded the highest profit increases, while restaurants and retailers saw comparatively lower improvements, or losses. Commodity price spikes reverberate down the supply chain, eventually hitting consumers, noted Martin Schmalz, an Oxford University economist.

The Guardian’s data, he added, objectively shows a massive “transfer of wealth” from consumers, who pay higher prices, to shareholders and investment firms that reap the benefits.

https://abc7news.com/corporations-and-inflation-greedflation-profiteering-price-gouging/12120449/

quote:

The chief financial officer of 3M said during his earnings call that the "team did an amazing job" driving higher prices, which have "more than offset the amount of inflation."

3M has more than two dozen lines of products including adhesives and aftermarket auto parts.

Toll Brothers is one of the largest homebuilders in the United States, with luxury homes currently being sold in Alameda and Contra Costa counties.

Its chief executive officer said, "We have more than exceeded cost increases through our pricing over the last 18 months."

He went on to say they "are still comfortable with our ability to drive that gross margin higher."

"We are seeing CEOs being really, really clear that they're using the cover of inflation to jack up prices on consumers," Mabud said.

even boring-rear end head in the sand news outlets like NPR report on it, in the very first result that came up when i typed "corporate price gouging" into google

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/19/1123926748/why-some-blame-record-corporate-profits-for-high-prices

quote:

VANEK SMITH: Mabud has listened to hundreds of corporate earnings calls and says CEOs talk openly about this. She points to grocery giant Kroger, which has seen billions in profits over the last couple years. On a recent call with investors, the CEO said the plan is to keep raising prices.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

RODNEY MCMULLEN: We view a little bit of inflation as always good in our business, and we would expect to be able to pass that through.

VANEK SMITH: AutoZone saw earnings jump 13%. Here's the CFO.

JAMERE JACKSON: And as I've said before, you know, inflation has been a little bit of our friend in terms of what we see in terms of retail pricing.

VANEK SMITH: Hostess has seen profits jump more than 12%. The CEO had this to say.

ANDY CALLAHAN: We're also seeing the consumers experience a lot of disruption. And they haven't fully recognized there were absorbed pricing.

VANEK SMITH: Et tu, Twinkie?

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 25, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Impressive for intel to poo poo the bed like this just a few months after being given a blank check from the government

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

algos seeing "AI" in a bunch of headlines and going to buy that ticker symbol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

loving nationalize that strategic asset before they do too much damage

the market cap is only $120b that's pocket change for DoD anyway

As a newly-anointed strategically important company, Intel's management has a fiduciary responsibility to liquidate as much of the company as possible as quickly as possible so that the value of the Too Big To Fail backstop can be unlocked for shareholders

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

all the giant loss screenshots on wallstreetbets are on phone apps, makes u think

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

we best not repeat the mistakes of the 1940s through 1970s, well known as a period of economic stagnation and disinvestment in the US due to high tax rates

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 10, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Subvisual Haze posted:

Should work fine as long as we replicate the important precondition "every other industrial economy in the world has been bombed into powder" like the US benefited from post-WW2.

My point was that high taxes do not in fact prevent investment. Being the last industrialized country standing isn't a requirement either. China has grown like gangbusters for the last several decades despite not selling the rest of the world material to rebuild after a war

Hadlock posted:

A lot of the tax code is written around an imaginary $400k income limit which seems fine unless you live in California

400k household income in california puts you in the 98th or 99th percentile. Marginal tax rates on income above $400k is in fact still fine if you live in california except for a very small portion of people

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 10, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

De-globalization is in fact happening right now. The energy market, which used to be the most fungible and global commodity market, is now split into two markets. Russia being cut out of the SWIFT network means that they are developing their own alternative that will likely be tightly integrated with Chinese finance. The US just leaned on the netherlands to slap an export ban on the latest chip lithography technology to china, so now companies can't expand their chinese fabs with those new machines even if they wanted to.

It's of course not clear how much further this trend will continue or if it's just a temporary thing but the past couple years are evidence that deglobalization is possible

pmchem maybe we ought to have that economics discussion thread

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this only builds up my naive lay opinion that complex option trades are scary because counter party risks seem to pop up at every turn

Not having the shares to sell seems more like a self-party risk to me than a counterparty one

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dept of Interior announced an auction of 73 million acres in the Gulf for drilling literally today.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

when elon said tesla would have full self driving by 2015, everyone said he was smart. but now when cathie says it she's dumb? seems unfair

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 24, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

In april 2020 there was also a mysterious fire that somehow got started in a giant lot in florida that burned up a few thousand rental cars. Not sure which company or companies got that insurance payout.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Obligatory:

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1634197816359747585?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Google search sucks rear end but instead of striking while they have an openint microsoft is trying to pivot their competitor into bonzi buddy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

Who do you feel is taking MS in the computer space as no business software really like Mac or Android.

A lot of business software now runs on cloud or colocated servers with users interacting with it on a web interface. Even microsoft itself is going along with this by going all in on azure.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Are conservatives still boycotting the NFL?

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 31, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Conservatives never shopped at target anyway. It was always the kerry voter version of walmart.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/business/status/1665797077622747139?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

T-bills are great, I've been putting all of my short-term cash savings into staggered 4-week T-bills. 5% and change yield and no state taxes.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I buy them in my brokerage account on Fidelity. They're probably be under "fixed income" or "individual bonds" or something similar on your brokerage. Then you have to find the page to buy new T-bills at auction instead of off the secondary market. The bond interface is a lot clunkier than the one for equity trading.

I think Treasurydirect is probably simpler but I haven't used it for anything but I-bonds.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the half-coup in russia is a win for biden and the democrats, republicans in disarray, target up 2%

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol if you didn't put your entire retirement into AAPL

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tesla has always been marketed by promoting the Elon brand.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

since when does zero knowledge about the industry mean you can't gamble on it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The government only cares about potential monopolies when another company lobbies against it. The government's only concern about the activision deal was playstation potentially losing call of duty, so microsoft promising to not take away call of duty made the ftc's only concern moot to the judge. Walmart on the other hand probably doesn't mind the rest of the grocery industry being gobbled up by kroger because from walmart's point of view that'd mostly make it easier to set up a price cartel

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

They'll get that FDA approval any day now, I'm sure

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If you go to Taj Quantum's website they're an IT security company with "blockchain" randomly interspersed in their copy. Guess they pivoted to room temperature superconductors last week

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Subvisual Haze posted:

A little odd for a company to add $70 billion of market cap in one day on a whim, but so it goes.

Someone said "AI" over the weekend

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mrmcd posted:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02585-7

LK-99 is a bust. We won't be getting revolutionary tech this decade. Goondolences to anyone who put longshot bets on it being real.

quote:

Several red flags popped out to Derrick van Gennep, a former condensed-matter researcher at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, who now works in finance

This is why we don't have a room temperature superconductor yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fidelity is completely down again, apparently for the third time this month lol.