Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
After played Callisto Protocol, my wife and I marathoned the two Dead Space movies to prepare us for the remake.

The first movie was pretty alright! As far as a "Here's how badly everything went to poo poo" it was a great watch. The second movie not so much - it felt like they tried to outsource their material to four different animation studios to try to get the cheapest bidder, and then didn't know how to tie it all together so they used the cheapest CG possible to animate the intermediary parts.

Still looking forward to the remake, here's hoping they don't gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
This remake has been pretty dang good so far. I'm about halfway through chapter 2 and loving it.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

jokes posted:

Have you been scared yet

They did get me pretty good with a jumpscare that was pretty much just grabbed from the first game.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Yesterday I got swarmed by necromorphs as I was out of ammo. I ended up needing to use my mighty boot a lot.

I don't know if it's because I stomped five times in a row, or if it was because I was low on health, but when I finished off the last necromorph, Isaac let out a "gently caress YOU" with his last stomp.

GOTY 2023.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The Plasma Cutter is the best gun in the game in OG Dead Space, especially once you start upgrading it. There’s a reason why there’s a “one gun” achievement for beating the game using only the plasma cutter.

I'm playing on Hard and I find that the Plasma Cutter is pretty good for versatility but there are some nice weapons that are hard counters to the other types of necromorphs.

The Ripper is so good against Leapers I can't even try to waste the 10+ PC shots it takes to kill one.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Callisto's alien goop looks nastier than DSR's alien goop, and the toilets aren't even a contest.

My grotty goop-stained toilet

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

lmao, I guess at least she admits it's a heavily biased review.

still a bad review tho.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Barudak posted:

This is the hallway in hydroponics that is just spikes on the wall and dim lights. What are the spikes for? Well so you don't bump into the walls in the dark, obviously.

See I was thinking the hallway in hydroponics that just sprays acid at you in random intervals.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

jokes posted:

Also, the whole "old space ship proves to be the best, grittiest tool for the job" trope was in full effect, as Dead Space 1 launched right as Battlestar Galactica was peaking

I mean, the whole series seemed like it should lead to the Ishimura using its planet cracking capabilities on a necromorph moon. Considering they rebuilt the thing in the second game I can't see where else they would go with that.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Veotax posted:

If the plan is to remake all three games, assuming this is a big enough success, I wonder how they'll handle Dead Space 3. It's so much of a departure from the first two, and not well thought of to boot, do they just completely reimagine it to make it closer to 1 & 2 instead of a faithful remake?
Drop the weapon crafting with microtransaction hooks? Drop the co-op?

Make an entirely different game instead that ignores it entirely?

If i'm going full :tinfoil: for a moment, my read on the secret ending of the game is that they're going to remake 2, and then do a dead space: convergence or w/e they would do for the 4th game.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

jokes posted:

If you apply enough nodes to the Ishimura, you can upgrade it to apply a burning effect on a necromorph moon on hit.

The Ishimura's secondary fire is just garbage, all it does is spray my crew members out in random directions and now i'm out of crew :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

There’s a clearance-locked door in Medical that I can’t figure out how to get to, there don’t seem to be any elevators or stairs up to its floor, it seems to be west of Zero G Therapy and 1 floor up but I can’t figure out how to backtrack through there. As far as I can tell it’s the only clearance-locked door I haven’t found yet (so far, I’m just now getting to the Crew Deck). I got the master override and I think I found all of the master override doors and crates (again, so far).

It does seem like I’m missing a lot of schematics from the store though.

That one took me a while to find, but there should be a room with pipes a couple floors down that you can access it from. It leads into a zero-G section which is where there is no marker or anything on the map for stairs.