Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will NBER declare that a US recession started in 2023?
Yes
No
Zaurg
View Results

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

US recessions are officially declared by the National Bureau of Economic Research, some time after they have begun.

https://www.nber.org/research/business-cycle-dating
https://www.nber.org/research/business-cycle-dating/business-cycle-dating-procedure-frequently-asked-questions

As Big Tech finally started layoffs and there's still great ongoing debate about Federal Reserve actions and 'soft landing' vs recession, let's take BFC's temperature. How's it going out there? Recession or no recession in 2023?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

No recession. High price stick around, but supply chains continue to recover driving corporate profits and overall economic productivity.

Also, I’m still using the two consecutive quarters of GDP decline definition. :colbert:

Cool thread idea btw

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 31, 2023

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
No US recession in 2023; the news in the UK was very fond of posting this chart around yesterday and going from +4% from pre-COVID to negative in the space of a year means COVID level disruption (with early 2022 being the tail end of COVID restrictions for YoY comparisons) - Inflationary pressure from last year will also start to subside as the year-on-year figures start taking the ramp up in prices as baseline and no matter what the Fed does on interest rates the wealthy and business are not going to stop investment just because they can now get 4% sitting in cash (7% in I-Bonds however...)

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Inflation driving GDP nominally higher while being in real decline seems very 2023. I know there are normalized GDP measures, but I’m not sold on them in the same way I’m not sold on common wonk measures of inflation*.

*which exclude food and energy while notionally including housing but it’s based on “owners equivalent rent”. Congrats you have an inflation metric which doesn’t measure inflation. I think there are many recession metrics out there which do not measure recessions in a similar manner.

I think agreeing on a common, objective, measurable definition is step 1. Step 2 is bullshitting over whether that definition will be met in 2023.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

DNK posted:

Inflation driving GDP nominally higher while being in real decline seems very 2023. I know there are normalized GDP measures, but I’m not sold on them in the same way I’m not sold on common wonk measures of inflation*.

*which exclude food and energy while notionally including housing but it’s based on “owners equivalent rent”. Congrats you have an inflation metric which doesn’t measure inflation. I think there are many recession metrics out there which do not measure recessions in a similar manner.

I think agreeing on a common, objective, measurable definition is step 1. Step 2 is bullshitting over whether that definition will be met in 2023.

In effect, wouldn't that be more like a form of stagflation?

Baddog
May 12, 2001
https://i.imgur.com/4e84MI3.mp4

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My vote is No, because that would be bad for Number. Also, because greed can grow GDP while still loving over normal people.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Why are we buying into this framing that a technical recession matters?

It's trying to capture the entire US economy, around 23 trillion dollars, in a single number. Except, if Amazon did gangbusters and Bezos wealth doubled, GDP could increase 100% and it wouldn't really matter.

The only reason GDP still gets talked about is because we talk about it, it's a very lovely measure that misses many things, and is generally more misleading than useful as a measure of the impact of current economic trends on actual human beings.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

nobody here framed it that way. this is a water cooler bullshit chat thread and poll, try and have fun

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

It's trying to capture the entire US economy, around 23 trillion dollars, in a single number. Except, if Amazon did gangbusters and Bezos wealth doubled, GDP could increase 100% and it wouldn't really matter.

The only reason GDP still gets talked about is because we talk about it, it's a very lovely measure that misses many things, and is generally more misleading than useful as a measure of the impact of current economic trends on actual human beings.

Yeah we know it's pointless. We're just bored.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I look forward to the end of the year so I can reflect back on how completely wrong I was.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Dik Hz posted:

I look forward to the end of the year so I can reflect back on how completely wrong I was.

I was right last year, there was no recession in 2022. But for some reason I still lost a lot of money, damnit.

Looking forward to the same thing happening this year!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
What is the bear case here? A few banks lightly warning a recession later in the year is possible?

Someone post good bear takes imo

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

err posted:

What is the bear case here? A few banks lightly warning a recession later in the year is possible?

Someone post good bear takes imo

the most common bear thesis is that the fed will overshoot in its fighting of inflation, damaging the rest of the economy. basically what volcker did to crush inflation at the start of the '80s

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

err
Apr 11, 2005

pmchem posted:

the most common bear thesis is that the fed will overshoot in its fighting of inflation, damaging the rest of the economy. basically what volcker did to crush inflation at the start of the '80s

Is there any data showing it could be the case here or is it still too early to get those indicators?

I feel like the recession fear rhetoric has faded the past few months and especially the last few weeks.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Baddog posted:

I was right last year, there was no recession in 2022. But for some reason I still lost a lot of money, damnit.

Looking forward to the same thing happening this year!

What, you didn't enjoy 15-20% declines in all your retirement accounts while everyone posted record profits? :v:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

err posted:

Is there any data showing it could be the case here or is it still too early to get those indicators?

I feel like the recession fear rhetoric has faded the past few months and especially the last few weeks.

there's leading data here and there, but nobody really knows how things will pan out. I thought the poll would be interesting in part *because* recession fear has faded during january.

here's one example of indicator data related to employment (shaded areas are recessions):
https://twitter.com/FXstreetReports/status/1618567586483937280?s=20

btw not vouching for that indicator being perfect or anything, don't come @ me regarding it

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

pmchem posted:

there's leading data here and there, but nobody really knows how things will pan out. I thought the poll would be interesting in part *because* recession fear has faded during january.

here's one example of indicator data related to employment (shaded areas are recessions):
https://twitter.com/FXstreetReports/status/1618567586483937280?s=20

btw not vouching for that indicator being perfect or anything, don't come @ me regarding it
I wonder how many ways they crunched that data until they stumbled across that version.

err
Apr 11, 2005

pmchem posted:

Yeah, it's definitely a good question. Maybe things happen later this year. I can't imagine construction being good this year and that probably has effects elsewhere.

I say no recession but a few sectors getting hit this year particularly hard.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

I wonder how many ways they crunched that data until they stumbled across that version.

i know right? imo keep it simple. just look at florida vs nebraska coincident economic indexes. still in no-recession territory

via
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FLPHCI
(and NEPHCI)

pmchem fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 31, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Soft landing

I suppose executing a perfect dive into the depths of the Marianas Trench would count as soft, right?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Commercial real estate is getting kicked so hard in the dick that a few of the big firms are doing some Funny Business with their accounting today so that January's numbers seem less catastrophic than they are

How do they REALLY define 'material, non-public information', anyway? I'd love to make a big bet against my own employer, and I'm not in a position where anybody tells me squat, but I don't want to go to jail or pay the small fine or whatever the white collar punishment is these days

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Everyone leaning on this indicator seems strange to me. We know that it is 99% that in 10 years rates will be lower than they are now, that's why it is priced that way. Not a guarantee that a recession is right around the corner though.

But are we dumb for thinking that *this time* the fed will manage the situation correctly? Or will they again not cut rates until it is too late, well after the bread lines are around the block.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think oil prices are down and china is opening up and so overseas shipping costs have dropped way back down to something resembling normal. So I voted No on recession.

However, recession can be a self-fulling prophecy. Companies laying people off in anticipation of a recession, tons of unemployment, consumer confidence drops, and wham there you are, recession. So maybe we get one no matter what.

There's always a wildcard factor, though. We can't use technical analysis to reliably predict the future because the next black swan doesn't show up on the graphs of the past. A black swan could be positive or negative, mind you, I am really just talking about rare, unpredictable events.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sundae posted:

What, you didn't enjoy 15-20% declines in all your retirement accounts while everyone posted record profits? :v:

you mean the share price correction that occurred after massive unsustainable increases in p/e? :v:

drk
Jan 16, 2005
No recession, Chipotle is hiring

I can see a scenario where inflation remains elevated (5%+) and nominal GDP is positive but real GDP is negative. If unemployment remains low, I'm not sure that would be considered a recession, though.

edit: double negatives are never not confusing

drk fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 1, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you mean the share price correction that occurred after massive unsustainable increases in p/e? :v:

Ssssh.... when it's my stocks, it's someone's fault!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm leaning no but I do think it's possible if the Fed decides to go full psycho mode and keep hiking too fast even with inflation cooling.

I also think Tech jobs are a bit of an outlier, most of them over hired during the pandemic, many investing into projects that won't see the level of return expected. In some cases they were hiring in the dumbest fashions, like hiring people without knowing where or what they will work on. Basically just hiring them hoping some team would need them because hiring on demand was getting hard. Most of them are still well above their headcounts from before the current explosion started, but they just got too carried away during the biggest hiring frenzy in tech history. I don't think we're quite done with tech layoffs yet, but I think the biggest bombs have probably dropped. Once again with the caveat that the Fed going psycho mode and announcing they are going to keep going big on rate hikes instead of starting to ease back would trash all of this.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well I for one am convinced that will never happen again! Until what, 3 months from now?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Lines will fluctuate, quality of life will in general decrease, the official definition for a recession won't be met.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

unemployment not lower since 1953:

https://twitter.com/RandyAFrederick/status/1621505355531550727

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Doomsday economists in shambles.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LanceHunter posted:

Doomsday economists in shambles.

Sustained levels of low unemployment historically precedes recessions:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is another one of those "there is always a calm before the storm" prognostications. How calm is calm, how long can calm go on before we're "due", etc etc etc. Get out the farmer's almanac!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think this is a misreading of the data. The fact that unemployment only ever goes up sharply during (and sometimes shortly after) a recession means that the period before the recession will always look like "sustained levels of low unemployment". At best, the statement is a tautology, like saying that a jack-in-the-box springing open is historically preceded by it being closed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also raw unemployment doesn't tell you everything about people jobs. We've just had two years of high inflation while wages haven't risen to match, so people are working but poorer.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Makes me wonder if wage growth was keeping up with inflation. This random chart from google says: sort of?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1351276/wage-growth-vs-inflation-us/

It's still lagging behind by about 1% - 2.5% and the gap is shrinking as inflation starts to finally come down while wage growth remains more steady. I guess that could be worse. I sort of expected to see wage growth stay constant. "You got your 2% raise, what else you want you bastard?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

quote:

I think this is a misreading of the data. The fact that unemployment only ever goes up sharply during (and sometimes shortly after) a recession means that the period before the recession will always look like "sustained levels of low unemployment". At best, the statement is a tautology, like saying that a jack-in-the-box springing open is historically preceded by it being closed.

2001: Unemployment spikes as SomethingAwful implements $10 forum account fee. This seed of global instability bears fruit with the banning of hentai from ADTRW, popping the dot-com bubble.
2002-2005: Things slowly improve as people realize it's actually better this way.
2006: Uwe Boll punches Lowtax hard enough to cause the economy to slow. Lowtax attributes the following year of general malaise to a lingering concussion until everything comes to a head.
December 2006: Groverhaus is posted on SomethingAwful, causing hedge funds everywhere to collectively panic that their mortgage-backed securities might accidentally contain his mortgage.
2007: Nobody can figure out who owns Groverhaus, crashing global lending market.
2008-2019: Lowtax siphons off Patreon funds to secretly fund bank recapitalization plans. Admins circle wagons around global economy and refuse to acknowledge any problems.
2020: SomethingAwful sold to Jeffrey of YOSPOS, causing historical spike in unemployment.
2021: This would be like shooting fish in a barrel, so I'll hold my fire.

Oh right, citations (not really, but found this while hunting a few dates):

Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 4, 2023