Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Fantastic new worlds! Incredible vistas! Adventure, discovery, riches! That's what they said it was going to be like! Recruit is open here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r3Ir-vNmj4

They didn't mention the waiting. You wait, and wait even longer, in Doctor Sledj's office. Apparently the good doctor is just never going to show up? While you continue to wait you check out some of the weird stuff he's got in here, like this

ominous-looking shroud posted:

or this

antique data storage posted:

There's a ton of stuff like that, even musical instruments, lined up in various display cases. Rumor has it the guy's family's been here a thousand years or something, all the way back to the old Terran Empire when humans got loose from Earth and went hog wild. Some of this junk might be ancient relics from Earth itself. When the dark ages came they stayed. At least that's the old rumor.

The office itself is decent sized, probably 10 or so people could hang out in here discussing hadrons and propylons, that kind of thing. There's a prominent holo emitter that's turned off, a couple computers, couple doctorates hung up (including more than one anthropology), easily noticeable security cam. Some antique contraption to do something or other. And no doctor or anyone else.

Right as you begin to consider leaving, the door to Sledj's lab unlocks and a research assistant pops out and does a double take.
[couldn't find a good pic, he's a younger dude, standard seeming human, probably just starting out.]
"Oh drat, sorry about that! Next time ring the bell." He bonks an old style 🛎-type bell that's probably older than everyone in the room combined. "You've gotta be the Travellers, want any coffee or anything? Let's see if your IDs match up with the records." He sits down at a terminal and punches up some info.

Cloud Potato posted:

Trew Pisco
STR: 2 (-2); DEX: 2 (-2); END: 3 (-1); INT: 8 (+0); EDU: 11 (+1); SOC: 5 (-1)
Skills: Admin 0; Astrogation 1; Athletics 0; Electronics 0; Engineer 0; Flyer 0; Gun Combat 0; Language 1; Medic 0; Mechanic 0; Pilot (Small Craft) 0; Pilot (Spacecraft) 0; Profession (Scavenger) 0; Science 0; Survival 1; Vacc Suit 0; Jack Of All Trades 1.
Possessions: Autopistol.
Contacts: Splendris, an alien.
Enemies: The Space Monkey Mafia.

"Sounds right. Wait you're a polyglot? File doesn't say what languages you know. Not a translation job of course."

sebmojo posted:

Lance Sergeant Rolfin Blammeau

STR 6 (+0)
DEX 8 (+0)
END 12 (+2)
INT 3 +1 (-1)
EDU 6 +1 (+0)
SOC 8 (+0)
CHA 8 (+0)

Skills:
Athletics 0
Vacc Suit 1
Tactics 0
Leadership 1
Heavy Weapons 0
Gun Combat 1 (slug)
Gunnery 1
Melee (Blade) 1
Stealth 0
Mechanic 0
Flyer 0
Drive 0
Gambler 0
Explosives 1
Electronic (Comms) 1
Recon 1

Possessions:
50,000 credits
Fancy TL12 Gauss Rifle, 4D, AP5, Auto 3, Scope

Allies:
Rosina Bamf the Hot Propagandist
Colonel Klarn the Incompetent Vargr Marine

Enemies:
Cole Merbl the crusty proprietor of the Planetary Gazette.

"Good, good -- hey watch that cannon though, if it 'just so happens' to go off inside, or outside but too close to a hab -- security will be on you, like it or not."

Antivehicular posted:

Tayloria Hendi

STR 5 (-1)
DEX 6 (+0)
END 7 (+0)
INT 12 (+2)
EDU 10 (+1)
SOC 6 (+0)

Skills:
Admin 0, Animals 0, Drive 0, Diplomat 0, Electronics (Computers) 1, Engineer 0, Investigate 0, Mechanic 0, Medic 0, Science (Biology) 2

Possessions:
60000 credits, scientific equipment, two ship shares

Enemy: Yadwansby Weissom, lovely Biologist

"Great, that biotech will take you pretty far on this job."

Mykkel posted:

Name: Dan Janks Age: 34 Rank: Senior Scout (reserve)

[Attributes]

STR: 7 (0) Dex: 6 (0) End: 8 (+0) Int: 6 (0) Edu: 10 (+1) Soc: 5(-1)

Skills
Carouse (0)
Language (0)
Electronics (1)
Pilot (spacecraft) (1)
Survival (0)
Mechanic (0)
Astrogation (0)
Vacc Suite (1)
Gun Combat (0)
Navigation (1)
Science (1)
Jack of All Trades (1)
Engineering (1)
Medic 1
Gunnery 1
Survival 1

Possessions:
20,000 Credits
1 Scout Ship

"Hey the man with the ship, that'll come in handy!" Victor (his nametag at least says he's res asst T. Victor) frowns and refreshes the screen a few times. "Piece of crap HR bullshit. Hey it says you got some scientific expertise --" two thumbs up "-- but not what kind?" He makes a palms-up gesture and shrugs. "I don't think it'll be a huge problem but getting that corrected might be a good idea. Sledj won't care for this one I don't think."

"Hmm we missing anybody? Probably not a big deal. You all ready for the briefing? Questions?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rolf looks around, bunch of goddam pencilnecks, tongue tied. Well if they know the brief they aren't letting on, better find out.

"So what's the job? You want something smashed, grabbed, found...?" He counts them out on stubby fingers, leaving the fourth half curled in case there's another option.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"Found & Grabbed would be best, hopefully we can skip the smashing." He boops some buttons and a rad hologram beams up a globe of the planet, which unfolds into a map.

You guys are at the only sizable settlement, which is outside the spaceport. It's the split hex with a crosshair and little square symbol, a mountain area on the hot side of the planet, southern hemisphere.

"Yeah, sorry for not putting any detail in the job posting, but it's pretty much a pickup. We need some biological samples" He starts fiddling with the antique machine, pouring water into it. Pretty soon the room fills with the smell of coffee.

"The closer area has a few different animals and plants, the region's pretty stable. Probably you'll want to avoid the baked lands unless you have the gear for it. Usually there's nothing in there anyway. There's a kind of tree endemic closer to the sea there, the bagua, we need one of those. Also need some animals, two adult colau. Easy to spot, they're like if a fish was a squirrel. Red/black/yellow bands along the body. Very mildly venomous. Alive would be best, otherwise frozen."

"The further's a frozen sea, unstable. There's a lot of cryovolcanic activity here, so unless you wanna sink your ship you better watch where you land, the ice sheet is weak as hell in some places. Maybe keep the door closed? I dunno, I'm no field tech. From here we only need exotic plankton. 2 tons of decently plankton-rich water is enough, it's hardy, you won't need any special handling."

"I go by Vic, by the way." He offers his hand, and a cup of coffee. "Had my usual crew do this exact job about two months ago, went smooth as silk, so I don't see any real problems for you. Plus Doc Hendi'll be good to have along, she'll know what she's looking at. I've got storage tanks and critter cans if you need any. If you feel like doing the authenticity paperwork I'll feel like throwing in a bonus -- not like you're not qualified to do it. And yeah, Cr20,000 just for the samples. This data wafer has the technical details of what I'm talking about."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

"Hrm. Any threats, natives, animals, pirates? What's the enviro like, we gonna need suits or whatever?"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"Hesaim's small, low gravity, very thin atmosphere. The composition's dangerous too, you need scrubbers. Go outside without a breather mask you'll die. You lose life support, you die. We're locked to the sun, a day is a year long. I don't think you'll need full suits except it gets fatal on the sun side and the far side is extremely cold. Going outside the ship on the night side, unprotected? Probably as immediately dead as in hot spots. Winds are usually high all over, but steady. If you crash do your best to call for help, we've got full coverage."

He sips. "Like I said, not a field tech. You'll handle that for me. But no natives or pirates I know of, only research teams go outside. Most animals are small and non-threatening, or big and brittle because of gravity adaptation. If you let a colau bite it's going to hurt, but I doubt they could get through any decent armor. Take your time and come back fine, is my advice. This doesn't have to be all done in 24 standard hours, but I wouldn't be mad if it was."

"That and avoid blowing up the wildlife or burning down a forest, I'm sure it'll wreck someone's research."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rolf scratches the back of his head, which is covered in russet bristles, the habit of shaving it for fitting into planet drop pods g-suits dies hard.

"20k is a little skimpy for that kind of enviro haz, I would want 30 minimum just to cover risk, plus fuel and, uh, ship wear and tear, I mean it's not my ship but, you know. Pilots. Can you provide breathers and suits or is that supposed to be self sourced? Also an air raft would be a help, you got one we can borrow?"

He stops and thinks for a moment. "And, uh, what happened to the other crew? The 'usual one'?"

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

"Astronomy was the focus of my studies" Dan responds before Rolf starts asking questions.

Dan nods along to the back and forth between Vic and Rolf distractedly, while he reviews the map data provided.

{ooc: How big is a scout ship?}

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mykkel posted:

"Astronomy was the focus of my studies" Dan responds before Rolf starts asking questions.

Dan nods along to the back and forth between Vic and Rolf distractedly, while he reviews the map data provided.

{ooc: How big is a scout ship?}

"Nice. This drat system, sometimes some ignoramus misses a field in the data... you know."
oh poo poo yeah, kk i had missed the exact science somehow. The ship is p much the smallest possible ship that can still jump and counts as "a starship." 8 travellers could cram into it if they wanted to super bad and doubled up rooms.

sebmojo posted:

Rolf scratches the back of his head, which is covered in russet bristles, the habit of shaving it for fitting into planet drop pods g-suits dies hard.

"20k is a little skimpy for that kind of enviro haz, I would want 30 minimum just to cover risk, plus fuel and, uh, ship wear and tear, I mean it's not my ship but, you know. Pilots. Can you provide breathers and suits or is that supposed to be self sourced? Also an air raft would be a help, you got one we can borrow?"

He stops and thinks for a moment. "And, uh, what happened to the other crew? The 'usual one'?"

Any/all of you: roll a pilot spacecraft check, and a vac suit check. Admin check if you want. (2d6 + skill level + EDU or INT DM. If you have 0 in the skill it's +0, if you don't have the skill at all but still wanna roll use your level of jack-of-all-trades -3)

You do happen to know that the scout service provides:

There is an air/raft in there, at least you've got that. 1 driver, 5 passengers, open air flying car.

Vic rubs his face. "Crew of the Naugahyde. Did good, reliable work, we had a good relationship, a number of jobs. Have any of you heard of them? I sent them on a delivery a few parsecs away and they just dropped off the starmap. That's why you're here, you're replacing part of the shipment. If you hear whatever happened to them, let me know, please."

He leans back. "As far as the money, this extra equipment--" *sip* "--can you give me a good reason you need a massive raise before even starting the job? Not like I'm trying to make you buy the biocontainment units. The plant and animals are in a relatively normal ecozone as long as you can breathe. It's only the plankton that's in a more seriously dangerous region. Don't you all hang out in vacuum all the time?" Somebody's going to have to pull off a persuade roll or similar if you want to push for more cash.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

"I'm confident Jester's Revenge can handle carrying this crew and the cargo, and the air raft is functional. This is my first civilian job, so I''m willing to do it at whatever rate you and Rolff negotiate."

"I will need to fill out my personal gear. The Scouts didn't see fit to let me keep my sidearm, and other sundries."

Pilot Spacecraft Roll: 2d6+1 7
Vacc Suite: 2d6+1 12

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
With those numbers you know: Jester's Revenge can land on and take off from any clear solid ground or even the surface of open water, if the weather's calm enough. Land directly in the frozen ocean? Maybe. You'd need to see more about the conditions to be sure.

Plus the ship's got enough of the cheapest grade of vacc suits to keep everyone alive out there, stored in the locker. (Technically all the basic equipment in the ship's locker is legally part of the ship itself & has to be maintained with the ship, which is on loan from the scouts.)

The space suits wouldn't be as comfortable or easy to use as higher tech or better-designed ones, and they might not be as protective as real environment gear when the wind is blowing against the crew, but they'll work until the air tanks run empty. You can easily refill from the ship itself, and they do provide basic armor protection in case of attack.

The suits are supposed to be for hard vacuum use in zero-g. They should do the job well enough -- unless there's a disaster. Falling into deep water, or getting stranded in a hot zone for too long could be ugly. Just because they protect workers in space doesn't mean they're great for every single dangerous location. And they're more complicated to use than the gear Vic is talking about.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Somebody's going to have to pull off a persuade roll or similar if you want to push for more cash.

Rolf starts to bluster about doing a drop on Zebulon V under hard UV from the sub critical white giant and seeing a fellow marine die, but it's not very convincing (Doomed persuade check: 2d6 7-3=4)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Trew Pisco
Skills: Admin 0; Astrogation 1; Athletics 0; Electronics 0; Engineer 0; Flyer 0; Gun Combat 0; Language 1; Medic 0; Mechanic 0; Pilot 0; Profession (Scavenger) 0; Science 0; Stealth 1; Survival 1; Vacc Suit 0; Jack Of All Trades 1.
Possessions: Gauss Pistol, Medikit (+1 to Medic rolls), +8 Cloth Armour
Contacts: Splendris, an alien; Philomena McLachlan, comms officer for the Gue Gouko Ouz, video buddy

-----

"Uh, excuse me, Vic, is it? I'm Trew. These, er, colau you desire, don't suppose you know their favourite food or some such? Reason is, I'm thinking, we get some colau-grub, stick all the ship's sleeping pills in there, set bait, and two sleepy squirrel-fish'll be much easier to bag.

Also, how big exactly are we talking here, like, yay big or so?" Trew holds his arms out about 18 inches or so.

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 26, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

sebmojo posted:

Rolf starts to bluster about doing a drop on Zebulon V under hard UV from the sub critical white giant and seeing a fellow marine die, but it's not very convincing (Doomed persuade check: 2d6 7-3=4)

:rolldice: (lol)
"Incredible." He's shocked by the contrast between the brutality and heroism. "...if your team agrees to the job, I believe I can wrangle up an extra 5000. Up front. That should be enough to at least pick up decent gear on the way out -- but you better pull through on this one."

Cloud Potato posted:

Trew Pisco
Skills: Admin 0; Astrogation 1; Athletics 0; Electronics 0; Engineer 0; Flyer 0; Gun Combat 0; Language 1; Medic 0; Mechanic 0; Pilot (Small Craft) 0; Pilot (Spacecraft) 0; Profession (Scavenger) 0; Science 0; Survival 1; Vacc Suit 0; Jack Of All Trades 1.
Possessions: Autopistol.
Contacts: Splendris, an alien.

-----

"Uh, excuse me, Vic, is it? I'm Trew. These, er, colau you desire, don't suppose you know their favourite food or some such? Reason is, I'm thinking, we get some colau-grub, stick all the ship's sleeping pills in there, set bait, and two sleepy squirrel-fish'll be much easier to bag.

Also, how big exactly are we talking here, like, yay big or so?" Trew holds his arms out about 18 inches or so.

"About that long a body length, not including the tail. Usually they'll go for things like nuts, seeds, some fruits, some water plants and smaller animals when they can get at them. Pretty omnivorous, except they rarely eat terrestrial leaves or grasses."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tayloria Hendi

"Doc Hendi" doesn't seem displeased by the nickname, although she tries not to let on that it's about the most respect she's gotten for her title in a while. "I assure you," she says, "we'll see this through. I'm not an expert in field work, but I trust that my associates can carry the day with the specifics." Should she mention this is her first job outside the University cloister? It seems... maladaptive. She tries to remember if she knows just how these things are supposed to go...

Admin 0, +2 INT: 2d6+2 5 -- probably not very well!

Nonetheless, this all sounds straightforward enough, and Rolf's already made good progress. Tayloria starts to consider the samples itself. Mundane-sounding -- a tree? Some small omnivores? -- but macrolife was never entirely her forte.

OOC: Should I roll Science (Bio) to verify the information Vic is giving me here, or is it straightforward?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yes definitely, if we can establish he's lowballing the difficulty it might help screw some more cash or gear out of him. Even if not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD6qtc2_AQA

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Right, I'm mostly asking because OOCly I dunno if these samples or at all unusual or if they're obvious things to recognize, like if the dude had asked us to catch squirrels

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Vic presses a few more buttons to show you guys some more holoinfo:

"The colau. Sometimes their fur can be much more oily than this one, or they have slightly different patterning. Arboreal amphibian, pretty much. They can get bitey if cornered, but usually prefer to rely on the warning coloration and threatening tail flips. If that doesn't work, swim or jump away. If that doesn't work, fight. Bite records usually show results similar to getting a bee sting or three. I'd say zonking them out with sleeping pills can work, but you better be sure you get the dose right if you decide to try it. Because these are live animals I've preprogrammed the cans to a few settings: the default is for storing them safely while alive, you can flip it to cryo if you instead bring back a dead one. If you expose them to normal gravity or atmosphere they're going to get hurt pretty bad. Not a good way to go." He frowns and moves on.

"Bagua trees get pretty tall, but are lightweight, almost all air chambers, and the "wood" is pretty herbaceous. Try to avoid damaging it if you can, and if you cycle the cargo hold to normal atmosphere with one of these in there it'll probably get crunched up. If you set the deck plating to standard gravity it can also get crushed. Not great, not the end of the world. Be absolutely sure to cut it above the root collar -- it should scab over quick and regrow normally, but not if the root is too damaged. We're not trying to torpedo the ecosystem here."

"The plankton, an unnamed species at the moment, identifying technical data is in the wafer. Mostly microbial, but it can form fairly large macrofilament networks at high density. You won't need to worry about it getting thawed out and dying or anything, pretty much get as much of it into storage as you can. If you somehow come up with a huge clump of it, only take a portion -- we're not looking for literally 2 tons of slime, but if you need 2 tons of seawater as a substrate, that's fine. 30% of that is plenty."

Vic finishes his coffee. "Now one last thing, I'm sure you know: label the samples with their collection time and location, or at least record it as best you can. Just good practice."
"So are we doing this?" He puts the data wafer and Cr5000 on the table. "If you have any other questions I have some more coffee and more time. But I would like to have these samples on hand in at most four days." Then he clasps his hands.

Antivehicular posted:

Tayloria Hendi

"Doc Hendi" doesn't seem displeased by the nickname, although she tries not to let on that it's about the most respect she's gotten for her title in a while. "I assure you," she says, "we'll see this through. I'm not an expert in field work, but I trust that my associates can carry the day with the specifics." Should she mention this is her first job outside the University cloister? It seems... maladaptive. She tries to remember if she knows just how these things are supposed to go...

Admin 0, +2 INT: 2d6+2 5 -- probably not very well!

Nonetheless, this all sounds straightforward enough, and Rolf's already made good progress. Tayloria starts to consider the samples itself. Mundane-sounding -- a tree? Some small omnivores? -- but macrolife was never entirely her forte.

OOC: Should I roll Science (Bio) to verify the information Vic is giving me here, or is it straightforward?

You know a few things about how it will play out just based on how things work around here:
  • If you rip him off, no matter how it happens he's going to be pissed. So probably you are going to want to avoid accidentally ejecting the sample containers out the airlock unless you can make amends.
  • If you take the bonus cash and botch the mission he's going to be pretty angry about it and will basically end up a rival. He'll work to get you guys blackballed.
  • The better you do the more likely he'll be to tap you guys for more jobs or help you out in other ways.
  • It doesn't seem like he's trying to pull a scam on you or anything.
  • It also doesn't seem like he's lying about not being a field technician, he probably only goes outside if he absolutely has to.
Doing this deal on a handshake is pretty normal, you don't need to sign off on a job contract. Hesaim is technofeudal, it's all interlocking reputations and back scratching and patrons and clients. He also isn't demanding a super perfect job, and is willing to accept a certain amount of screwing this up.

You won't need to roll to understand the specifics per se. You can tell these things are all strongly adapted to this specific planet. You can confirm the identity of the sample organisms with your science gear in a few minutes (if you have one in front of you), and you can operate the containment equipment as long as you're not trying to do anything weird with the settings. You do know from experience that you're going to have to run tests to make sure you've collected the right plankton, but maybe you can eyeball the other samples.

But a knowledge roll wouldn't hurt. You'll need some kind of computer to read the chip if you want to evaluate its contents. You can also chain rolls together if you want, like looking up info in the university database and comparing it to what's on the datawafer, for example. If you want to guestimate the value of the equipment he's lending for this job you'll need to formulate a roll to get past "pricy enough to matter."

--

Another thing I didn't really make clear or maybe just forgot to mention: your chars can have retroactively prebought equipment up to Cr10,000 if you have that many creds from character start -- this doesn't include equipment you got as a job benefit from mustering out, it's stuff you bought on your journey here. You want me to post up the kind of stuff you would have been able to get offworld? Hesaim itself will have the real high tech stuff you might not be able to find elsewhere, but I'm going to make you actually track down sellers if you want crazy or real expensive stuff. If you have cash more than 10k the rest stays as cash for now, and if you don't use this 10k worth of your career savings before you agree to the job I'm gonna make you track down the stuff you want normally. So for example if you want the 20,000 piece of equipment and have exactly 20k you don't need to settle for the half as good one, just wait untill accepting or rejecting the deal to go buy it -- the 10k stuff is things you either have on your person or have access to right this second.

So you're not really losing or gaining anything extra, but it is a way to avoid overloading everyone with ten billion options right at the start, while still avoiding situations like this one where there's a computer chip, you might want to read the info on the chip, you don't have a computer or even a cell phone. This lets you prebuy tools you might want for this specific situation that will still be useful later on. For example you can call the ship and ask it things, or maybe you want to already have a full environment suit and happen to have the money to pay for it yourself. Probably you aren't going to need to ever stab Vic but I guess you can try if you want to?

Categories of basic equipment are:
Armor
Augments (cybernetics)
Communications Gear
Computers & Software
Medical Supplies
Human-scale Sensors
Survival Gear
Weapons

Also there are going to be 2 ways to get some skill boosts: the first is right before you take off the ship for the first time, the second is going to be any time you want, and it works like this:

The Connections Rule posted:

During Traveller Creation, one aim is to ensure the Travellers know one another before the adventure or campaign begins. If two Travellers agree, then any event rolled for one Traveller can involve another. After linking events between two Travellers, they both get one extra skill of their choice. Each Traveller may gain a maximum of two free skills from the connections rule and each connection must be with a different Traveller. For each connection, you may gain any skill except Jack-of-allTrades and cannot bring a skill above level 3.

For example, Erik is working as a Scholar and he rolls a secret project (event number 4 on the Scholar Events table). Erik suggests that his Traveller could have met Kathya’s Traveller while on this project and Kathya agrees. They discuss exactly what happened during the mission and this begins to form previous history for both Travellers. Both Erik and Kathya then gain an extra skill because of this.

The reason I'm letting you pick to do this whenever you want is in case you get into a situation like "oh poo poo I absolutely need a specific weird skill right now and didn't realize I needed it when I rolled." You can just say "hey remember when we had to xyz that's when i learned how to abc!" It's kind of janky but doing it after the fact instead of forcing you to get all these bonus skills before the thread even starts is kinda rough. It's already a fairly complicated game until you get used to it. This is similar to why I didn't force you to buy equipment at the same time you created your character, who knows what crap you might actually want if you might never have played the game? You may want to hold off on grabbing these until you've dusted off and realize there's a skill that you actually really want.

The first way to get bonus skills is pretty much a skill draft where you all go around and each draw a skill to boost to rank 1, so that the group as a whole will be certain to have at least a basic competency in moving around on the planet good enough to do this job.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 26, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Cool, I'll buy some gear when I get a chance. I assume there's a list in the Explorer's edition?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Name: Aria Xsdottir, Personal Injury Expert

[Attributes]

STR: 9 (+1) Dex: 7 (0) End: 6 (+0) Int: 7 (0) Edu: 7 (0) Soc: 2(-2), Cha: 4 (-1), Psi: 4 (-1)

Skills:
Advocate 2
Athletics 1 (Dexterity)
Deception 0
Electronics (Computer 1)
Gun Combat 1 (Slug throwers)
Medic 1 (First Aid)
Melee 1 (blade)
Persuade 0
Recon 0
Stealth 0
Streetwise 1

------------

Enemies: Subcommandante Salinas. Not recognizing talent and commitment eventually results in your private skim fund being carried off in the middle of the night. He probably doesn't consider this a personal wakeup call to do better.

Allies x3: (I'm having trouble picturing them, but basically they'd probably be a collection of people Ari actually helped via shooting assholes and/or medical/legal assistance.)
(Thx Seb!) Mensip Pollywig, slightly dodgy trader, you helped him with a bunch of City Council and Bratva organized crime bullshit : he's now got his eye on an offworld franchise

Possessions:

Armor and worn gear: 3500 cr

- Combat Enviro Suit 1000
- PHUD TL 9 1500
- Combat Engineering Tool Set TL 8 500
- Comm TL 10, computer 1, 500

Weapons: 3480cr
- Stun stick 300

- Heavy Advanced Combat Rifle 2000
--Magazines x 3, 60cr
--Stun Grenade x2, 30cr
--Frag Grenade x2, 60cr
--Smoke Grenade x2, 30

- Chaindrive Bayonet 1000

Medical: 4250
-Medkit TL 10, 1500
-Traumapak x1, 750

Remaining: 770cr
---
Special:

quote:

Whenever Aria does something involving the stealth skill under light conditions like this, roll it with a boon (3d and drop the lowest). It has to be specifically this weird lighting tho, not just "oh it's dim bulbs" or "oh it's getting towards night"
---------
Ari wanders in, talking on speakerphone. The slam of the hygiene closet's door indicates the conversation started at some point in there.
"-what, no, I don't drink on the job, that's unprofessional! Besides, I found this bottle of painkillers in the medicine cabinet. What? No I don't know, the name and expiration date have worn off. Still seem to work though. Look, this should take too long, apparently I'm going to go planetside and look for a bunch of slimeballs, just a little more literal this time. Hold on, gotta go-" DEET. She peers into the room, "We ready to take the job? I recommend something that lets you breathe without going full vaccsuit."

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 30, 2024

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Antivehicular posted:

Cool, I'll buy some gear when I get a chance. I assume there's a list in the Explorer's edition?

Yeah it's kinda wonky & stripped down but there is one. I'm pretty sure someone could cleverly combine together pretty neat little systems but the phones it gives are

Cr50 for an audio-only space flip phone
Cr150 for what's a smart phone: audio, video, computer/0 (it can run programs of size 0, so the data wafer or simple translators)
Cr500 for the futuristic holophone with computer/1

Apparently none of the comps have included programs other than the most simple interface and security, but you can make them do different things. There's more kinds and a bunch of weird programs that wouldn't fit into a phone.

If you don't want to fart around with the charts within charts complex of building a system in traveller, you might ask Vic if you can use one of his terminals to look at the chip real quick, you get the feeling he won't mind.

Ronwayne posted:

---------
Ari wanders in, talking on speakerphone. The slam of the hygiene closet's door indicates the conversation started at some point in there.
"-what, no, I don't drink on the job, that's unprofessional! Besides, I found this bottle of painkillers in the medicine cabinet. What? No I don't know, the name and expiration date have worn off. Still seem to work though. Look, this should take too long, apparently I'm going to go planetside and look for a bunch of slimeballs, just a little more literal this time. Hold on, gotta go-" DEET. She peers into the room, "We ready to take the job? I recommend something that lets you breathe without going full vaccsuit."

Vic peers back out, then checks his terminal before asking: "Want some coffee?"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.traveller-srd.com/core-rules/equipment/

here's the basic list.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

(I got the central supply catalogue in a bundle at some point, so that's where all the odd looking stuff on my sheet is from. We must be aware no :filez:, but the srd there has a decent selection of the basic stuff, if you're looking for any function or category of thing in particular I'd be able to look it up. I advise Trew especially to invest in armor, a personal medicanner (1000d, gives someone +1 medic to treating them, or a portable medicanner, 2000cr, and can be changed to anyone with 1d minutes, the default should still be on Trew. Per combat rules you're uh, squishy.)

Aria Xsdottir, Personal Injury Expert

"YES." She fumbles with her gear and produces an empty 2 liter water bag. "Need to check if I got the frost burn cream and whatnot still in the kit. I guess the rest of the team ought to see what's in there in case I'm the one that goes down and they need to patch me up." She hefts a small duffel bag off the top of her pack and opens up the medikit (tl10), and begins checking off inventory before going down. She's flippant about a lot of things, this isn't one of them. Dying because you forgot something trivial is a lot more embarrassing than dying because you pissed off too many people with too many guns.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 28, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Trew got turbofucked in chargen, p much, but I'm sure it'll turn out fine. Hit the books, skill up, do some jobs, get some cash. At least he's got a wide base of ship operating skills, and surely bringing these alien life forms onboard will not ever possibly go bad.

--

Vic rolls his eyes slightly, grabs the bag and starts filling it with hot coffee. "What you think this stuff grows on trees, yeah? Well, don't sweat it. If you agree to the job I can have the sample containers ready for loading within the hour if you want. The exact recovery details -- I'm sure you'll know best." He sloshes the bag on to the table, pours the last of the coffee for himself, and sets up another batch. "Is four days not enough time?"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah let's do it.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Let's get that bread. Or whatever other yeast product might be down there.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Gonna buy Tayloria the top-of-the-line phone with comp/1. What? It's a business expense.

Tayloria nods, already distracted by the chip and her phone - best to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible. "The details seem amenable."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

For me I'll get four clips for my rifle, a stun pistol, same array of grenades as my buddy up there, some tech 10 cloth armour with computer 0 weave and a breather mask, and a smart phone. I'll also pimp up my rifle with silencer, laser sight, gyro stab, and scope. I think that's about 5k, will add it up and take it out of my money.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Antivehicular posted:

Gonna buy Tayloria the top-of-the-line phone with comp/1. What? It's a business expense.

Tayloria nods, already distracted by the chip and her phone - best to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible. "The details seem amenable."

Yup add the phone & subtract the cash from your sheet. If you want software I can track down the kind that will fit.

The data wafer matches what Vic already told you, a complete copy of the brief, plus some info he glossed over:

The tree and animals should be in a region roughly 2000km from here, the goop is about 8000km out.
Both of these are 1000km across, it'll likely take some kinda scanning to narrow it down. These are hazardous regions and you're sure you wouldn't want to be stranded.

There's a bunch of technical data related to confirming you've got the right samples. Gene maps &c. Someone with veterinary skill could dose tranqs safely with this info, know the optimal place to chop the tree. It's basically required to know if you have the right goop.

It's got the serial numbers and info for the containment units. 2x bulk liquid containers, 1 displacement ton each, rated for life forms. 2x climate- & grav-controlled cylinders for the colau. Also a roll of self sealing polymer you can use to wrap up the tree so it doesn't have fronds filling the entire cargo hold.

If you wanna try to get any more out of the chip you'll need to form a roll for what angle you wanna take examining it.

sebmojo posted:

For me I'll get four clips for my rifle, a stun pistol, same array of grenades as my buddy up there, some tech 10 cloth armour with computer 0 weave and a breather mask, and a smart phone. I'll also pimp up my rifle with silencer, laser sight, gyro stab, and scope. I think that's about 5k, will add it up and take it out of my money.

Alright, well instead of having to take a while clamping all those gizmos to your gun it's under 10k so you did it ahead of time.

Ofc you can just all pile into the ship & blast off, but you might want to come up with a plan.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Aria Xsdottir, Personal Injury Expert

"Plankton seems the most dangerous to acquire and easiest to store, so I vote we get those first. Scan for some island land mass so we're not trying to do a water landing and try to extract it from there. You got an atmospheric survey drone on that ship, Dan? That'll probably save us a ton of effort."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

"Works for me. Easy stuff first, then you know it's done. One time there was a fortified position we left for two months, cleared out everything around it. Starved them out in the end, they were real skinny when they came out with the flag, heh.". Rolf grins for a moment, then frowns and goes back to fiddling with his rifle.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wait i think Trew might have his piloting screwed up, if you get a zero level in any skill that has specializations, don't you get all the specializations at zero? So he shoulda already had pilot 0, and then got it again from another job? Also he mighta got like one more benifit at some point idk, he seems to have had it pretty rough the whole way thru. The friggen charts and flow of this game is kinda wild

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yep, skill 0 is 0 in every specialisation.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

"We have an assortment of drones stocked on the ship. Plankton first sounds good. Also if any of you are short cash, the ship does have some decent vacc suits. Also, we have 3 cabins for you to share."

{Dan is going to get a top of the line phone, cloth armor, breather mask, a stunner pistol, and the best vacc suit he can get for the remainder of his starting cash after the previous items have been purchased}

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mykkel posted:

"We have an assortment of drones stocked on the ship. Plankton first sounds good. Also if any of you are short cash, the ship does have some decent vacc suits. Also, we have 3 cabins for you to share."

{Dan is going to get a top of the line phone, cloth armor, breather mask, a stunner pistol, and the best vacc suit he can get for the remainder of his starting cash after the previous items have been purchased}

ur looking @:
500 phone
250 cloth
150 breather
500 stunner
=
1400 e-z

(stunners have 100 round mags apparently, so while you can buy extra batteries for them at Cr200 each i am pretty sure unless you're :blastu: all the time every time, or you lose the keys to the car or something and are away from reliable power, you'll be able to recharge it from the ship without any issues.)

According to the book™ the cheapest vacc suit is the same thing as the ones in the ship's locker, and would cost 10k. So if you want even the next one up (or even the extremely better ones) I'm going to call it you'll need to take some time tracking down a seller here in town. Shouldn't be an issue, but it would take at least some time.

If you don't want to do that, you can instead snag an environment suit, which costs only 500, and you can wear it under your armor. This, in combo with the breather mask & armor, will give you pretty decent protection from the temps and atmosphere, and some defense against getting your rear end kicked. It wouldn't protect against hard vacuum or mega extreme conditions, but it would give pretty much unlimited safe air out of the box.

I'm also calling it cause you have the fancy lad holophone and a secure connection to the ship, if you want you can do stuff like remotely back up the briefing chip to the ship's computer, or roll navigation or astrogation to start plotting a course without having to get into the bridge. Double check the inventory, basically anything you could do in person there -- other than actually flying the ship, or messing with the reactor, or shooting the guns, that kinda stuff.

--

so do you all plan on taking the bonus cash?
also are you going to just go to the ship or does anybody want to do anything else beforehand?

Vic is not messing around about the 4 days deadline, but if you take the extra cash he's really not going to be messing around. You can still have prebought whatever <10k stuff, but the clock starts when you walk out the door. Luckily you have enough pilots in the group to confidently know space ships haul rear end and you're looking at maybe a half hour to get all the way out to the frozen ocean unless some outside delay causes problems.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Trew Pisco
Skills: Admin 0; Astrogation 1; Athletics 0; Electronics 0; Engineer 0; Flyer 0; Gun Combat 0; Language 1; Medic 0; Mechanic 0; Pilot 0; Profession (Scavenger) 0; Science 0; Survival 1; Vacc Suit 0; Jack Of All Trades 1.

-----

Ronwayne posted:

...I advise Trew especially to invest in armor, a personal medicanner (1000d, gives someone +1 medic to treating them, or a portable medicanner, 2000cr, and can be changed to anyone with 1d minutes, the default should still be on Trew. Per combat rules you're uh, squishy.)

Sounds good, but Trew's flat broke. Although...

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Wait i think Trew might have his piloting screwed up, if you get a zero level in any skill that has specializations, don't you get all the specializations at zero? So he shoulda already had pilot 0, and then got it again from another job? Also he mighta got like one more benifit at some point idk, he seems to have had it pretty rough the whole way thru. The friggen charts and flow of this game is kinda wild

Pilot skill corrected; and if you want me to take another benefit roll, I'll roll on the Drifter table for cash...

Drifter Benefit Cash roll: 1d6 4 Cr2000! Enough for a TL 10 Medikit for +1 to Medic rolls (1500Cr), and the better TL 10 Cloth Armour in the big book (+8 protection, 3kgs, 500Cr).

-----

"Plankton first? Sure thing. I'll head back to the ship, put on a Vacc Suit and get a bucket ready."

I assume this is a skill chain sorta thing; someone rolls Science or Navigaton to find the good spot, someone rolls Navigation or Pilot to get there, someone rolls Science or Vacc Suit to do the actual scooping, and another Science to check the sample?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wait should you have or not have pilot 1? Yeah I'm eventually gonna make the crew do a skill chain to get launched & fly around, at least this first time

but also there may be some different checks even before or after then, depending exactly on what everyone decides to do

So far it's looking like skip the bonus cash & head direct to the ship? Or at least nobody got around to taking it. Or more Trew is the only one actually jumping up to go do the mission atm lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Take the 5k, let's go: it's a 25% bump and the mission sounds straightforward. I'll keep my skills until we need them: not sure if we have any powerplant skills which we will need to fly a ship.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
pretty sure you guys have it basically covered, but the group's basically guaranteed to be able to fly the ship good enough. When the crew arrives at the ship we'll get everything loaded, draw some bonus skills, then step thru the launch and get you out to the cryozone.

anyway you grab the 5k bonus. Vic shakes both Blammeau & Hendi's hands, thanks you for your time, and assures you the equipment will be ready for loading by the time you get to the ship. "By the way, are any of you fluent in Gvegh? You know... Vargr talk...? Nevermind." He waves you out and wishes you luck.

You've got 96 hours to bring back the samples. If any of you want to do anything specific on the way to the ship, describe what you want. Otherwise roll any of Diplomat/EDU or INT, Recon/INT, Streetwise/INT.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 30, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Aria Xsdottir

(I found that as a pbp thread grows its best to link one's sheet in one's character name to find it easier and just keep quoting it for new posts)

Arianhod doesn't catch the question, and assumes Gvegh was Vic spitting up some phlemn. She DID know people who primarily communicated in those sounds, and it was probably time to find them in a quest for algae, slime follows slime. She grabs a coat so she can throw it over her enviro bodysuit and not have to mess with a vacc suit.

What do I find with streetwise? With a 12 , it looks like everything? :catdrugs:

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah it took half a week to get this mission started, i got the whole pacing off pretty bad i guess. I'll give it a while in case anybody else wants to throw in some more dice but unless you guys really want to by the time we hit the next page you're gonna all be at the ship loading up and getting ready to launch.

Basically if you throw in a dice the trip to the starport will include some stuff from your point of view, otherwise it's all what Aria picks up on.

e: one thing i'm gonna arbitrarily add in that's missing from the explorer's edition, but i remember from some youtubes, is Boons & Banes: If you've got some kind of advantage, which I guess I decide based on my deranged whim, roll an extra d6 and discard the lowest result. If you've got a disadvantage it's the same thing but throw the best result out. Tayloria should have a boon on this observation roll if she's paying attention, seeing as she's a native to this planet.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 30, 2023