Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Eris Jeffers

"Okay, so when and where was Kisuzdzueti last located? Is there someone besides Kisuzdzueti that would want you to be unable to find her? What kind of time is left before finding her no longer matters?"

Eris looks over to Aria, Trew, and Rolf. "We kind of need to take this on, a regime-changing war that we could have prevented is going to keep us up at night."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Aria Xsdottir

"Yeah, when skip tracing the easiest place to start would be the people they interacted with most and if she was a hermit, she'd probably still be getting deliveries via drone and what not. There's bound to be a record somewhere."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mykkel posted:

Eris Jeffers

"Okay, so when and where was Kisuzdzueti last located? Is there someone besides Kisuzdzueti that would want you to be unable to find her? What kind of time is left before finding her no longer matters?"

Eris looks over to Aria, Trew, and Rolf. "We kind of need to take this on, a regime-changing war that we could have prevented is going to keep us up at night."

"Yep, also we're gonna get paid, solid win win, I'm definitely on board. Question though, is this potentially a snatch and grab? Like, if she doesn't want to come, is she going to be given the option? Does she have any known enemies?" He indicates Eris with his cup to acknowledge that's a slightly different version of her question but both need answering.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
They have more info, but at this point it's more a question of if you are sure you are able to see this through or not. They're willing to trust Sledj with all this, and basically consider Helen and the rest of the survivors from Chosen as under his authority, or at least enough under his thumb that he can keep a lid on things. Obviously if anybody has quit before this their character gets paid and they leave before the details come out.

Your group is more of a wildcard. They want to know you're going to be in on this before going further and that you'll be willing to go the distance. You're going to be on this ship for maybe weeks or months and it might be better to head off any problems or qualms now. If you start this and then try to back out they're going to be way more pissed than if you were to walk away here.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lol posted at basically the same second.

if you're in then you're in. gimme another minute to reticulate i'll edit it in

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
gently caress it changed my mind gonna triple post, should have just edited in the last one to the one before it. Also halfass wrote this then quit and came back later to finish it. :redass:

There's some moving parts, one is mechanical in how you will work with the rest of the crew
    The way this will work is like this:
  • If you decide to join their expedition you get CHA (Charisma) added to your character sheet, as your SOC -2. If you would go below 2 you just stay at 2.
    (This is similar to your perceived leadership & ability. This is not some style rating of how much you're liked or able to shmooze people.)
  • In some situations you can use CHA instead of SOC or other stats.
  • You then get CHA +1 for agreeing to do the whole job of finding this missing sister of theirs.
  • You also get CHA +1 for doing the dangerous mission to recover La Psolea mega successfully.
  • Trew gets an extra CHA +1 because according to Skye he went above and beyond.
  • If you take risks and are able to get results your CHA may go up. Just critting a roll is not going to make this happen.
  • If you jack around and gently caress up, or are just an rear end in a top hat your CHA may go down. Just botching a roll is not going to make this happen.
    (one example is: "trying to fight and failing" is not the at all the same as "watching vids instead of piloting so the ship crashes.")
  • If you backstab or massively gently caress up the mission and anybody lives you're gonna take a massive CHA penalty on top of anything else.
  • If your CHA goes below 2 or above a certain cap you're probably going to end up getting into fights.
Not an actual spoiler but: reminder for no reason is that not every npc in the game is played by me.

Another moving part of course is the money, which is related to refitting La Psolea and other things like renaming it, which you can do if you really want to. You can pay them to fix the gig, get different stuff for the ship or yourselves etc. Most of this will get shunted into the holding company which will be overseen partly by Sledj, Aeng, & Aria. You will get some of this as literal cash or items dumped directly to you, but they're thinking most will be retained as shares or put into the ship itself. Helen also can sort of help, but because your ship is so much faster really the only other thing that's going to be able to catch up to you is actual couriers.

Mykkel posted:

Eris Jeffers

Ronwayne posted:

Aria Xsdottir

"Yeah, when skip tracing the easiest place to start would be the people they interacted with most and if she was a hermit, she'd probably still be getting deliveries via drone and what not. There's bound to be a record somewhere."

"Yep, rr rr r, we've already done it. It was back home. She came home and then left before mom died." Skye seemingly has this pretty locked down. "The rest of it?"

sebmojo posted:

"Yep, also we're gonna get paid, solid win win, I'm definitely on board. Question though, is this potentially a snatch and grab? Like, if she doesn't want to come, is she going to be given the option? Does she have any known enemies?" He indicates Eris with his cup to acknowledge that's a slightly different version of her question but both need answering.

"Yes, enemies are inside and outside Uerrgno, but not any that are known to be after her specifically. For a timeframe, if this breaks out it could be hard to tell when the first rebellion would happen."
Aeng starts clearing a space on Sledj's coffee table, which Owen then plops her paper on. The ink refreshes to show a diagram of Uerrgno specifically, and it's all in gvegh. The world codes seem comprehensible, if weirdly formatted:
(It seems your translators are not particularly great with names and assume they're supposed to be taken literally? They're maybe poetically descriptive, or at least obviously written differently.)
 TL:|4  25| 04|808|7 70|6|7655|076|7|:TL 
Law:|6  04| 05|002|1 70|0|0025|000|0|:Law
Gov:|9  07| 00|001|1 80|3|0234|010|1|:Gov
Pop:|9  05| 00|105|0 30|4|0044|011|5|:Pop
Hyd:|7  38| 07|000|8 86|0|4A06|A43|0|:Hyd
Atm:|6  77| BD|300|F B9|0|B815|865|0|:Atm
Sze:|8  55| A8|100|K A8|0|A517|836|0|:Sze
Prt:|D  YH| YY|YYH|Y YY|H|YYGY|YYY|F|:Prt
 ** |0))oo|@oo|Ooo|O)oo|O|Oooo|Ooo|O|
 KK |U  SB|GIS|IRW|B BR|W|IIWB|RII|W|
 59 |e  ti|ant|ca'|i ia|'|cc'i|acc|'|
 VV |r  og|sfo|edl|g gd|l|eelg|dee|l|
    |r  r | er|  e|    |e|  e |   |e|
    |g  m | rm|  t|    |t|  t |   |t|
    |n    | n |   |    | |    |   | |
    |o    | o |   |    | |    |   | |

(The mainworld itself is well known enough to remain untranslated and is transliterated instead. Why the stars are listed as numbers instead of named isn't obvious.)
Somebody roll science (planetology) + INT or EDU, or maybe electronics (computers or sensors) + INT or EDU or something.
"Our mainworld is blessed with this double ring, orbits a binary pair, and itself has two moons, both should have been habitable -- the inner is too dangerous now and a tomb. The outer? Balkanized, hardly organized control." Aeng shakes her head. "Separatist movements exist. Significant ones. Demographically we retain a substantial human minority... which is mostly... nonproblematic really."

Owen points out some simple facts: "The outer planets are harsh. Brutal. Cold. Less population, and more technology. They could be obtaining weapons Uerrgno has no defense against."
"Paying corsairs for system defense can work. Anyone can see letting them determine internal politics is ill-advised." Aeng throws her hands up, "Our sister deciding to up and never come back is out of the question. More than six billion people live in this system!"
"Anything bad happening to our sister, is just as out of the question. I haven't seen her in years. What is she even doing?"
Owen just grunts.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Eris Jeffers

Eris looks at Skye directly, "I am at your service until your sister is found. Please continue the brief, I will hold further questions or statements until you have completed the brief."

Should we use the other thread for disccussing the refits as well as additional equipment we would like acquired for us?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mykkel posted:

Eris Jeffers

Eris looks at Skye directly, "I am at your service until your sister is found. Please continue the brief, I will hold further questions or statements until you have completed the brief."

Should we use the other thread for disccussing the refits as well as additional equipment we would like acquired for us?

In here would prob be better. After all somebody is going to have to actually get it even if it's off-camera, it's not like you're starting with it or a new character is forming to deliver it. I guess unless you're going to try to buy an android or something? That never goes weird or backfires. If you want to do that I'll have to consider how it'd be done first -- i don't actually have the robots book

Skye laughs, delighted -- "A bit much. But I think that's the situation for now, until we get the full report from G-D."

But it was Aeng who seems to be managing the brief, and things on the ground out here. According to her it may take an entire day to get the report, but should be comprehensive. "We only need three, four staterooms for our needs." La Psolea has eleven. "The computer system should be strong enough to run effective pilot subsystems if we're willing to source them. But before we leave we should look for any last clues, just in case."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Aria Xsdottir

Comp+Int, 8

"I'm in too, this sounds interesting." Arianhod taps away at her comm. "I also would like to get some better computing and medical kit before we sail off here. An Autodoc and turning one of the staterooms into a medbay would be neat and help to keep them alive." she glances in Trew's direction for a moment.
-------------

The following is a wishlist, only going to ask if it looks like we have the resources and I ain't breaking the bank.

Looking through the supply catalog and High Guard, a stateroom and medbay take up the same room. a medbay costs 2 million (!) creds, but a basic autodoc costs 100,000, so probably more doable. Most discount version would probably just be shoving the autodoc into the room next to Ari's (or she just sleeps in there there next to it, she's Soc 2 she ain't picky)

-What TLs were the medkits we found on the Psolea?

-Two or three units of slow drug @500cr ea so we can patch up on a time scale of hours instead of weeks

More basic personal items i was looking at is a very nice TL 14 laptop that can run computer/5 and load that up with
code:

-Portable computer/5 TL14, 2500
-Intellect, 1000c
-Security 2, 1000
-Agent 0, 500c
-Expert: Advocate 1, 500
-Expert: Medic 1, 200
-Expert: Electronics (Remote Ops) 1, 100
-Expert: Electronics (Sensors) 1, 100
-Expert: Language 1,  200 (The language our benefactors speak, getting pro software that understands the idioms would be useful, I'll stick a copy on my phone/comm to keep it with me and use the laptop for the rest.)
----------
@ 8200cr

-I assume the crimeware we got earlier was some form of intrusion, need to go back and find the stats.
Quality of life stuff for the common area:
code:
-Autobar @300
-Autochef gourmet @2500
-Autolaundry TL 10 @500
-Personal Safe TL12 @600
-Sonic Sweat and Stain Remover @125

Toys I don't need but would be really cool to have:
[code] Grav belt tl12 @ 100,000
There's also the Psi thing from earlier, I will lovingly tuck my new Cha 4 next my Psi 4. It mentions a month of training on top of the week of testing and we don't have that time, I don't think but maybe later? The only one that seems usable is telepathy because it only needs 4+ tests.)

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 30, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rolf hears 'Balkanised', 'weapons' and 'dangerous', and nods slowly, then flips around his slate, with an image from an Imperial recruiting site, showing a Marine in battledress: powered armour.

"I think we need an ace in the hole. Illegal in half the galaxy, so maybe it stays in the box, but if it needs to come out then we'll be grateful. I used these in the Corps, they're the answer to a lot of otherwise difficult questions.' He taps the TL14 variant with a stubby finger: 'think we can lay our hands on one of these?'

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Eris Jeffers

Wishlist

Personal
Skill Program Chips at level 2: Engineering (Life Support, J-Drive, M-Drive), Cost 30,000
Disguise Kit: Cost 1,000

Ship Repairs:
Do we need to do anything for this or will the Engineering firm handle repairing all repairs for the La Psolea and Gig?
Can we get a laser for the Gig?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Still reticulating, if you have other crap you are interested in doing or getting feel free to throw it on the pile, maybe like 4ish hours I guess the update will start unless I just completely end up sleeping thru for like 18

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

:ninja:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

While we're on armour, a few of these would be good too, either lightweight or advanced depending on funds/availability:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
ok actually like ~75% done but it's not going to be finished right this second so whatever. Probably also I'm gonna slow down and eventually stop calling for rolls you got it mostly figured out.

In the meantime the vargr tell you that there are actually going to be six of them along for this (if that changes anything). They still expect to cram themselves into four rooms even with seven coming back.
Vic asks if Lilac is going to be aboard, and the answer's yes.
When Eris & Aria mention various skill wafers, he offhandedly mentions that he may have "A proposition, which could be of interest..."
Owen gets up without saying anything and leaves.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Really inadvertently breakin my balls here with this stuff (not for real), but actually it is kind of interesting in a way, seeing as Hesaim is very nearly the highest tech planet in the subsector. It absolutely crushes all nearby systems in technology, so I'm going to run with it. Everything else is now good so the update is this enormous clusterfuck which is past half the maximum character limit jfc. It actually includes some useful info mixed in with the crap so you got your work cut out for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRAilLovOPY

Ok, gonna break the post up into several ridiculous convoluted chunks:

This readout seems pretty weird to you. Not what you'd consider standard. Although for TL4... maybe it is? If Uerrgno is out there with morse code and wire-to-wire connections from their spaceport along the rail line to the Baronal Palace (if that's even a thing), then this might the norm. At best their "computers" may be some sort of teletype or mechanical relay systems that can get literal bugs in them. Otherwise imported systems that can't be natively maintained or replaced?

Ronwayne posted:

There's also the Psi thing from earlier, I will lovingly tuck my new Cha 4 next my Psi 4. It mentions a month of training on top of the week of testing and we don't have that time, I don't think but maybe later? The only one that seems usable is telepathy because it only needs 4+ tests.)

According to the book psionic testing is supposed to take two weeks (idk maybe i had this wrong and said one?) and costs 5k, which the vargr may get pissy about if you try to wring that cash out of them for a boondoggle, and for sure going to be pissed about if you try to make them wait. If you really want to go through with this, Vic can test any reasonable number of people at the same time, but he can't train anyone at all. You'll need to either convince the others that it's a good idea to wait while this is done, or convince them that they can leave and you'll be able to quickly and successfully catch up with them. On top of this I'm calling it while being tested you can't roll for anything else you basically have to sit on your rear end and look at the Voight-Kampff & Ganzfeld Devices and take turns hanging out in the Gollop Chamber.

It could be effective and extremely useful to do this even if you only have the most basic simple abilities, but it's also going to be a hell of a swing to convince people that it's practical and plausible. Part of why Vic isn't the Chair of Psychical Research or something is because, well, it sounds like bullshit. And is hard to get results. There's nobody on Hesaim that could actually train you even if you're able to be "proven" to have "potential," and even if find anyone who knows how it could be accomplished? Maybe it can be. Maybe it can. As far as Vic knows, this will only reveal any potential you have and will not give you incredible powers of any type.

Alternately, you can possibly come up with a plan to park your characters here, do the testing, and have them come back and pick you up. Two jumps, in and out of Hesaim, is two weeks. This is relevant for later if you wanna keep reading.

--

As far as the items and stuff go, originally I wanted this to be sort of a testbed to be playable as a stripped version you could run with maybe a minimal ruleset. Two things on that, first is uh well, gently caress it. There has to be options on what possible stuff may be available to use so :shrug:, & what's cool is cool anyway so there's no point trying to cram everyone into some piece of poo poo ship with only a pencil and a screwdriver and Cr20 unless that's the campaign they want to play. Keeping this concept "too much ship to handle together just long enough to make it thru" probably needs modified.

But second thing is that the explorers' edition sorta sucks, the editing is a little too jank imo, and especially the software is confusing and goofy, I think hard to understand how it's intended to work. Also the older version of all rules seems to be different with the prices and info about software, too confusing and weird, so oh crap what the heck somehow these 2022 edition screenshots I found made its way into the thread:

Das's crimeware is intrusion/2, but won't be recognized as illegal unless it's space cops that know the bwap language. The drawback is that whoever's using it either needs to know bwap as a skill or needs to have an expert package for the bwap language on hand and ready -- even translator/1 won't cut it. You can still use it if you don't know bwap, but you either have to use it with a bane, or use extra time and not get the +2. If you want to interface this software with any other programs you have or wanna buy you better roll electronics (computers) + INT to figure out the details. This won't take any time, you'd have probably figured it out while one the way back from Chosen. Otherwise it'll become apparent the first time you try to do it, even if you fail this roll.

Getting deja vu here looking at these prices and crazy lists and crap.
So why the gently caress are these prices way wacked out deadass wrong and expensive or cheap? Because (according to my reading) at low tech levels expert systems are supposed to require /bis-type systems like how the computer in Jester's Revenge had one specialized for jump drive. The difference is that they're sophont-portable computers (or become so at a certain TL). Emphasis is mine:

Details on ye cheaper expert systems posted:

A variety of skill packages are available. Unless using a specialised computer, Expert software is not available until TL11 and requires Intelligent Interface, Digital Friend, or Intellect as described above
None of this applies to stuff you can easily get at Hesaim unless you search for it and specifically want specific devices that do these things. You can get these. In the end it might actually be cheaper to just socket in something like translation/1 into the ship's computer or something. Getting an expert in gvegh or glanglic would be useful, and probably worthwhile -- but not critical for everyday use, although it'd make using a generic translator obsolete for these languages specifically.

I think the expert systems described in the central supply catalog here using this table with the wild prices and everything are intended to be used for scenarios that reflect the actual historical use of irl expert systems? Possibly? They used to have specialized systems designed to assist scientists and poo poo like that, and I think these are supposed to be something similar. Even right running up towards say TL 7-8, you're looking at modern day earth, where you have literally ex GPS that's specifically only a navigational tool? Dunno GPS is pretty weak. Once you hit 11 it all becomes standardized and normalized enough that you don't need this specific weird getup tho, and that's what Hesaim's got.

So then if I'm reading this right what you would do for Hesaim's situation is scale back down using the retrotech rules to encheapen the hardware, add the +50% /bis cost, add the expert software cost, and check to see if it's worth buying the specialized equipment instead of just the software. I think the /bis hardware handles what would normally be run by the interface software. I ran the numbers and the price comes up as worth it on the condition that you have a specialized computer that can only run this software and if it breaks you're sort of hosed, versus a normal software package that can socket into any system -- ironically this would be worth it for people in "oh poo poo we're poor as dirt" situations as a way to buy up critical skills you might need but could be missing. With how things are going you're better off not bothering trying to wring out handfuls of creds imo. If you want you can ofc still try and try to find or build these old style systems.
(Btw this extremely specific physical hardware still exists and is used, though I haven't interacted with it in the sense of expert systems. Also I think the /bis terminology has another complementary term d'art that I can't think of atm.)
  • One example comparison is
    - Advocate/3 software would be Cr100,000 and you could just socket it into the ship, no problem it's fine. Everything else you need to run it is already in the ship or any system big enough to fit.
    - If I have this down, a hardware Advocate/3 (requires TL12) assistant would be ((1,000 / 2 / 2 / 2) * 1.5 ) + (500 * 100) = Cr50,187.5 and it weighs .0625kg and literally all it does is Advocate/3 assistance.
    - Astrogation is a comparable overkill unit and would be vaguely similar with a lil extra bandwidth for more normal programs, or possibly additional smaller experts, I think. Basically standard pc with /bis.
    - TL;DR Main cost is the software when the planet TL is high. Price and weight drops off a cliff as skill rating goes down. Effectiveness also decreases, experts hit a wall and can't give a bonus past certain DV thresholds.
  • So could be worth it, savings starts adding up the more skills you want, but then you don't have this installed in the ship (which has a huge computer) and only one person can use it at a time. Intellects you may have would, imo, not have trivial access to these skill units at all--
  • Unless you went out of your way to somehow mesh them in with terminal interconnections. This is essentially the same as building a parallel network next to the existing computer system in the ship, that you can grab pieces in and out of, very similar to how the ship's computer currently works, except cheaper and shittier.
    - This is only cost effective because of Hesaim's high TL. With the way retrotech works much of this stuff is so cheap on Hesaim it's effectively free. Your skills are good enough it'd essentially only take time to do and is extremely optional.
    - Otherwise, at low TL, this could be the only way to get Experts. Somebody out on some crapworld would have to prototype one from scratch, basically.
  • Unlike actual skill wafers I'm going to call it that if you decided to do this only one person or intellect can use one of these skill units at one time, period. But if you have the normal software socketed in anyone who has access to the system can use it. You also can't duplicate them the same way small enough software packages can be duplicated. Rather, you can, but you'd have to literally manufacture an entire host machine to get their utility. Not impossible.
  • Vic has... opinions regarding this and so has formed a ...proposition.
However, even ignoring all that this means technically even normal computer/5s are retrotech on Hesaim, and are half cost and half weight compared to what's in the book.

But the medkits you recovered are only TL12. Womp womp.

Ronwayne posted:

Aria Xsdottir
The following is a wishlist, only going to ask if it looks like we have the resources and I ain't breaking the bank.

Unless you super want to get dedicated expert systems, what i'm gonna do is convert these softwares into normal expert wafers and then coagulate the list with what everyone else specifies.
In general, probably if anyone wants something to be specifically theirs, you should pay for it yourself out of your cash which you have surely been keeping track of on your charsheet and store it there. Otherwise it will get stored in the ship and the vargr will consider it group use. I don't think this is going to end up as an issue or anything but idk someone may end up being an rear end in a top hat or it might get blown up or something?

sebmojo posted:

Rolf hears 'Balkanised', 'weapons' and 'dangerous', and nods slowly, then flips around his slate, with an image from an Imperial recruiting site, showing a Marine in battledress: powered armour.

"I think we need an ace in the hole. Illegal in half the galaxy, so maybe it stays in the box, but if it needs to come out then we'll be grateful. I used these in the Corps, they're the answer to a lot of otherwise difficult questions.' He taps the TL14 variant with a stubby finger: 'think we can lay our hands on one of these?'

They go quiet and then there's a bunch of frowns and low murmurs. Your translation software doesn't come up with anything useful.
like before, if anybody wants, roll something to try and get a read off the vargr.
The three quietly chitter to each other for a moment, pause for a moment, and then continue. This happens for a little while and then Aeng has their reply:
"This is appropriate, given three conditions: First, for each such suit designed for humans, an equivalent one for vargr will be employed. Second, they are always to be stored in the armory, under restricted access. Third, only two such suits designed for humans -- four total -- will be considered."

You're looking at sinking roughly Cr440,000, Cr880,000, + possibly some attachments if you decide to go through with it.

Hesaim ofc has these available, and some wheeling and dealing and help from Sledj can secure them as well as stuff like the poly armor and drone swords and &c.

Mykkel posted:

Eris Jeffers

Wishlist

Personal
Skill Program Chips at level 2: Engineering (Life Support, J-Drive, M-Drive), Cost 30,000
Disguise Kit: Cost 1,000

alright coagulating this together with what Aria & Rolf wants is uuuuh

weaponry & armor:
a loving flying sword     53,000
advanced poly carapace x4 140,000
apparently no handguns          0

skill wafers & software:
intellect/1                 2,000
security/2                  1,000
agent/0                       500
engineering (life sp)/2    10,000
engineering (J-Drive)/2    10,000
engineering (M-Drive)/2    10,000
advocate/1                  1,000
medic/1                     1,000
electronics (remote ops)/1  1,000
electronics (sensors)/1     1,000
gvegh/1                     1,000

random stuff:
grav belt TL 12           100,000

qol stuff 4 ship:
autobar                       300
autochef gourmet             2500
autolaundry TL 10             500
sonic sweat & stain remover   125
advanced personal safe TL12   600

ship parts / supplies:
medbay                       MCr2
autodoc                   100,000
slow drug x2                1,000

That's Cr37,500 for software (which is all skills except for one agent/0 and one intellect/1 or Cr2,500).
It's Cr2,398,025 for everything else (excepting the power armor), unless I forgot how to add.
Looking it up, Eris finds the familiar disguise kits with are obsolete on Hesaim. There are cheaper versions or more expensive higher tech versions. What he seems to be looking for is like Cr200, or else Cr10,000 for a holonet

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The vargr tell you that there are actually going to be six of them along for this (if that changes anything). They still expect to cram themselves into four rooms even with seven coming back.
Vic asks if Lilac is going to be aboard, and the answer's yes.
When Eris & Aria mention various skill wafers, he offhandedly mentions that he may have "A proposition, which could be of interest..."
Owen gets up without saying anything and leaves.
The ~gourmet autochef~ and autolaundry get four thumbs up and they like the attention to small details. Aeng & Skye think they'll make a big difference at least, but the expense and cost of full medical equipment is mixed. "Ideally it never needs to see use." "Better to have it and never use it, then need it and not have it." "We don't want to set up La Psolea as a treasure ship, ripe for pillage. It's already been defeated in battle before."

They're particularly skeptical of this floating sword. "Wouldn't regular swords be better?" "Wouldn't monoblades be superior?" "Isn't this a half-ton of repair components?"
In the scheme of things so far 40 grand for software is not that much cash and close to the same price. But there's a way to make this work a little more effectively, according to Vic.

Mykkel posted:

Ship Repairs:
Do we need to do anything for this or will the Engineering firm handle repairing all repairs for the La Psolea and Gig?
Can we get a laser for the Gig?

The firm will fix anything on La Psolea that's still broken, as well as do any retrofits or additions, and go over everything to be sure it's up to spec and maintained. The locker will be stocked with needed basics. If you need 10 sophont-portable fusion cannons that's up to you. Gauvain-Dýr is charging MCr20 for this. Pretty heavy discount for a ship that would otherwise cost far closer to MCr250.

They can do this on the gig, but won't unless they're paid extra. If you wanna pay for a weapon on the gig they'll ofc install it for free. They will still send the analysis files from scanning it but won't do any actual work on it.

--
"So, wait. Before you get into that, who all is going on this magical adventure of yours?" Helen has been drinking some of the vargr tea from before and seemingly isn't too grossed out yet.

"The Baroness insists on going, personally, and is dragging the rest of us out with her," Aeng replies.
"So that would include me & Owen," Skye continues, "and yes Lilac, but that's just her human-facing name."
"Llae Uruetsezsae. Can I guess Vic knows of her because of her degree?"
"Yes, actually. Not many vargr go into mechatronics, to be honest."
"Not many think it's reputable. Drones are widely considered cowardly, even if they're effective."
Skye doesn't seem to want to get bogged down in what might end up as an annoying debate, so she barges through: "The last one is Fall."
"Maybe Autumn w--"
"If she wants to call herself Fall, her name's Fall. Aeng."
"Her actual name's Dzodue ang. Us six."
"And," Helen replies, "all crammed into that ship for no one knows how long."
"Everyone else is already back home, we just have to pick them up. Then it will be no long matter to track--"
"You're not being practical. We've got at best maybe half a lead here, without some better grip of--"
"Stop! Interrupting--"
Aeng & Skye start squabbling at each other more than with.

Helen drinks more of their weird flower tea and gives you a look. "You know their doughballs aren't exactly bad. You might want to pick up a few culinary libraries. I'm not leaving Hesaim any time soon, by the way."
She sips again. "You might want to pick up a digital friend or something."
--

Vic coughs and has a seat before Sledj can develop any further stress-related health complications. "Ladies, I've got a proposition."
"And that might be?"
"Psionic research is limited in part by the number of subjects able to participate. It's complex, you may have heard of the sheep and goat effect? The details aren't relevant but some members of the crew have expressed a willingness to undergo testing, which is sufficient for my purposes. This takes some time -- two weeks -- during which I'm sure you'd rather have the crew at full capacity. If instead you'd let me borrow anyone willing to undergo the completely unobtrusive and non-invasive testing process, it just so happens I have available a set of pseudopersonality cores ready to be installed in any drone large enough to handle them. Cores which I'd be happy to let you borrow."
"I dunno, Vic..." Skye seems leery.

Vic's proposition is this: for everyone who wants to be psi tested, park your chars at Hesaim for the two weeks. He'll lend out one of these cores that can be loaded with skills and are basically reconfigurable (if not super incredible) robot pcs. With no bodies. They're just brains.

"Victor, nobody is going to trust these mystery machines of yours. Especially not Owen."
"Fine, then I'll add in a set of retro-expert units and a few terminals. What like five? Ten hardware terms enough?"
Sledj is by no means accepting of this and narrows his eyes. "Where'd you get these 'retroexperts,' Vic? We do still have laws against illegal export of restricted software."
Vic pulls up an open schematic on a nearby holoscreen. "Woah Prof, nothing like that, if they wanted to they could fab all this from scratch. It's just that Tom and I've got one playing Tetris--"
"--Tom who?" "Of Vinland." "Tom... of Vinland. This is their real name?" "Yeah, he's in C.S."
"Just don't get us in any poo poo, Vic," Sledj groans.
"I'm not!" He holds up his hands & shows some features -- they're seemingly some fairly basic, dedicated expert units. "You'd be on your own for software although it would be dramatically less expensive than normal waferware. I'd think Lilac would be pretty excited for this kind of thing, and there may some extra time to try and check for a lead?"

Skye & Aeng look at each other a bit worried for a little while, while they consider. "I don't know, this seems complicated. But he's sort of right, Aeng."
"And-- but where did you get a copy of Tetris? Excuse us for a moment." Sledj pulls Vic into the back office and leaves the rest of you in the main part.
Aeng is willing to give a lot of weight towards what the crew thinks is best.
--

Alright unless I missed something else major I think the last pieces of the puzzle here are La Psolea and the gig and the money.

You started off at Hesaim with MCr60 and your own cash.
-MCr1 spare parts (of which i think 8 are left, didn't look it up)
-MCr1.5 Naugahyde's shiny new lasers
- less than a tenth of a MCr on various tools and other equipment, iirc
- some extra like Owen's armor which the vargr authorized while you were doing the mission
-MCr20 from G-D's retrofits
-Cr0 cause I'm not finalizing anything from anything from the list above yet.

This leaves you with ~MCr37.3 to work with. That's a loving shitload of cash still.
Aeng is somewhat cautious about this. "The well could run dry if we decide to dump it all into upgrading the ship too much. Already we can expect enormous maintenance costs."
Skye is completely opposed. "The more decisive and effective we are the faster this whole thing is over. We can give it back to Sledj, he's a good friend and can solve that if it comes to such a point."
Owen has not yet returned.

Paging through the preliminary report, it seems the ship's armor was pretty well ripped, but like everything else shouldn't be any huge difficulty in buffing back into shape.
    There are two issues that they will not be assisting with:
  1. The restricted access portion of the ship's computer? They won't touch it.
  2. Likewise, the captain & first mate's lockers, they won't be breaching those for you.
Apparently they do very minor work with Imperial clients and won't risk directly interfering with these. If you modify these things it's up to you and entirely your decision. Everything else they'll do right this second without any hesitation.
    "Eugh." Skye takes one glance & pages past this to see what can be easily done to improve the ship's effectiveness:
  • Upgrade the computer (this would probably be the one single most expensive thing you can do in terms of Cr, tbh)
  • Upgrade the sensors (couple options)
  • Remove or switch weapons (several options)
  • Stock the armory and fancy up the place (just throw money in a hole and they do various decisions for you)
  • Add optional equipment (very complex series of choices here, mostly involve refitting living quarters or cargo space into something else for potentially very worthwhile or mediocre benefits)
  • Have them fix the gig which is going to end up being roughly like MCr7, depending on some things.
But everything costs MCr, and basically even the cheapest thing is MCr0.5 and would take up at least some cargo space permanently. Alternately you could sell off or try and downgrade parts of the ship? (Because of the tremendous expertise of the firm, there's not going to be any weird distortion in maintenance costs due to changing the ship's layout or equipment.)
"This is almost worse. You could practically barf."
"Stop being grotesque. 'One could expectorate.'"
"What do the rest of you think?"
Helen has a clear idea: "That I let the whole Naugahyde crew get ripped off by not pushing to have you pick it instead of the rust factory you dragged back."
"It would've offered more flexibility."
"Yeah well now it's offering berthing fees. You might want to get some fabrication unit if you aren't going to get an entire workshop. Or both."

--

Right, so Vic & Sledj seem to be temporarily indisposed, but:
Decide if Vic's concept has any merit. Otherwise if you end up leaving Hesaim, you may not come back any time soon. Any investigations you might wanna do you might otherwise want to do before you leave.
Decide if you want to go thru with getting power armor. I figure this basically explains itself. Power armor also has various kinds of crap you can bolt into it, similar to more advanced space suits.
Decide if you want any serious changes with the ship, or at least what options you may want to look at doing. It's trade offs, for sure, but some of these could be worth it. Some... not so much.
Decide if you want any extra crap or w/e. Do you want MULEs as in robots? do you want mules as in... animals? You can buy different kinds of either, and other stuff here.
& ofc ask whatever questions and talk to people and all that. Do what you want if you got some idea. If it ends up needing a roll I'll ask for it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rolf doesn't care about Psi training, though that's at least partly based on preemptively rolling and getting a bad result lol, so it's possible he has to do it anyway to prevent Paradox. In terms of Hesaim drama, Rolf doesn't care - we have a job, a ship, and a pack of squabbling dog-people to wrangle, that's plenty to be going on with.

Let's get two suits of power armour for humans and two for Vargr, that makes sense - you need Vacc Suit 1 to operate it, so Aria would be better in Carapace anyway.

I'll look at the battledress bolt ons and propose a suit of stuff, focusing on utility and surviveability rather than big time combat.

"I think we definitely want a gun on the gig, make it kind of a space technical. It's just too valuable to have some force we can project that isn't the entire ship which is apparently a," he says, paging through forum posts on Jane's Starships dot com, "glass cannon. Something like a mounted Heavy Laser would suit, doesn't need to be a starship weapon and I doubt the powerplant could take it anyway."

In terms of gear, he's going to leave it to the nerds - we do want to be able to use our bwap crimeware though so let's make sure we have the translation kit we need for that. Spending 20 mcr (?) on a computer upgrade is, hm. Not sure.

A space wheelbarrow/MULE would be great, as long as it's not too expensive - getting something we can remote would be ideal. I'm picturing a small cargo gravsled, like the size of a toyota yaris or w/e?

In terms of WEAPONS, gauss pistols and lasers are good, what was that tricked out gun we picked up from the boobytrapped guy in the Psolea? They're all fairly cheap so we could just say there's an assortment in the ships locker? Ditto grenades.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

yeah skipping the psi thing if its just gonna take more time here. We'd have to wait an entire 3ish years in-game before it degraded another point.

For a hand gun I thought the ships locker would cover rando 3D damage weapons. since we're going to a TL4 world i might wanna get a CARTRIDGE PISTOL because i think the locals are more likely have parts for .410 shotshells for a space taurus judge rather than asking them to figure out a gauss pistols. I'm fine with whatever you think works best for the software because I took a look at it too and went 'bwuh?"

-I'm willing to drop the flying sword, but still angling for the grav belt, because A) jetpack and B) i have athletics dexterity and might be able to use it without immediately dying.

-any medical gear is going to need that software patch for vagyr anatomy otherwise this is going to end in dr. zoidberg shenanigans.

I'm penniless other than that first payout for the tree salvage and the dead people's stuff I picked out of the psolea, more indepth personal kit purchase post in a bit.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 4, 2024

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Aria Xsdottir

-Deciding against psi training for the moment, Aria says "I think I need to be along for this one."

-As to what to do with all the cash "I think we should get them to slap a basic pulse laser on the gig. If we got funds to spare, let's add a proper med bay and autodoc to it, and some low berths. Put some nice stuff in the common area since we're going to be spending a lot of time stuck with each other, personal armor for when things get spicy...as to the rest of it, let's park the rest of those funds for the moment, keeping this thing going is gonna be expensive."

-She asks about a cargo bot, but otherwise "We don't know what we'll need. I think the Psolea as is is pretty well rounded right now, we should see what we focus on and what we need help with during this mission and make changes after it."

-As to questions, she asks the crews patrons, "Do we have any points of contact in the government or elsewhere that might provide privileged information to us, and if so, are there any high tech goodies we can get here on Hesiam to offer as gifts?"

-She suggests poly carapace for basic defense duties. Rolf can rock that powersuit if she wants. She has no experience with them besides "run away and hide if one or more show up"

Aria makes some final suggestions: "We should probably nab some trade goods considering we're going to a lower TL system. Medicine, machine parts blacksmiths can maintain, that kinda thing. Guns too, regardless of how fancy, those will probably sell well...I'd stock up on some extra food and water and air recyclers and some other protective equipment, enough to last 10 odd sophonts a month in case something Bad happens and help takes awhile to get there."

Aria peers through the ship's lockers and decides to grab some personal gear.

(The google doc we got just under 250,000cr in personal funds, so i'm dipping into this a bit. Also, looked back and apparently aria is the only one that can use bulky-tag stuff without penalty, so let's roll with that.)

She decides the flying sword is, in fact, a bit much and just orders a spare monoaxe, and a static axe because it lets you speak a universal language of sort, at least when axeing questions.

Side arms are straight-forward. Gauss pistols are the standard anywhere they're available, so she gets a trio for the ship's locker with some magazines. A trio of stunners and some stun grenades for same.

Personal arms are next. The heavy ACR is good in the field but close quarters is going to require some...delicate work. Delicate to the extent an automatic shotgun and shotgun shell pistol loaded with tungsten slugs is delicate. She gets some baton rounds for same in case its preferable to maim people instead of vaporize them.

Lastly she orders some more clothes so she isn't wearing the same enviro jumpsuit she has been for the past few months and can look like something besides wandering space trash. It was good to be deceptive in social situations. As a finisher, she adds an order for a pair of shitkicker boots in her size that advertise advanced foot protection and magplate compatibility with a wink wink nudge nudge implication that said bulkhead is located between an enemy's legs.

* denotes stuff she intends for purely personal use (unless someone asks to borrow, of course) the rest is meant for anyone in the party or allied NPCs to grab as needed

Megacredit ship stuff:

Stuff that would sell well on a TL 4 backwater. Ask our patrons what they thing would move well.
Ton of food as cargo for emergency use.
Ton of water for same
Stock the bar and autochef with okay quality stuff
Grab some decent entertainment options otherwise we're stuck using the centuries old static ruined recording of Cemetery Gates on aria's phone on loop as hangover music.
Some kind of air recycler/extra tanks for backup in case things go pearshaped.
Life support mask x10 (half of those shaped for vagyr muzzles I guess) 10,000 total
Survival Still TL 13 (4500)
*Grav Belt

Tl13 poly carapace, 1 per pc, and rolf's power suit if he still wants that.

Party personal gear funds: 16,700 cr total

*Hiking Boots - 310 total
Base 200
Magnetic Grapple Inserts 100
Brass Knuckles because the book says they can apply to one's boots, apparently, 10

*Protec Suit +Smart Fabric= 1500 total

Bug Sweeper Deluxe, its not paranoia after the whole bomb thing, 1000 total

Light intensifier goggles (adding to PHud) TL9, 1250total

Portable Mediscanner - 2500 total
2000 base
vagyr chip 500

Static axe (TL 12) @ 1000
Monofilament Axe @3000

Stun grenades x 5 =150 total

Stunner+ power pack x3 900 total
Base 100
power pack 200

Gauss Pistols x 3= 2100cr total
base 500
magazines 5 ea 200

*Assault Shotgun - 1950cr total
-Base - 500
PHud adaptation - 250
5 drums armor piercing ammo @ 160 ea - 800
5 drums baton ammo @ 80 ea - 400

*Cartridge Pistol- 1040cr total
Base - 300
Suppressor - 250
PHud adaptation - 250
4 mags armor piercing ammo @ 40cr ea= 160
4 mags baton ammo @20 cr ea= 80
----------

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 7, 2024

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Alright, sorry for all the numbers type poo poo. Planning on doing one more update on Hesaim of getting all your stuff finalized and then jump to Uerrgno, so literally anything else you want to do here probably you should suss it out now, you may not be back any time soon.

Prob the last Hesaim update where we recombobulate everything, finish fixing the ship, and then launch will be up like maybe within 2 days, then hopefully more normalized beats unless there's something insane going on

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Eugh, sorry, due to some problems there have been delays. Dunno exactly when I can get this updated.

The thread is not abandoned but it could be a little while, possibly even another week. Gonna try to get it launched before then. Obviously cursed myself by putting an actual timeframe on there.

Quickly looking over some of these much of this can be crunched down into smaller packages of some kind, and the vargr also have some crap they want tacked on, but even then it should balance out with a pretty big chunk of the ship shares left over in reserve just in case. Feel free to still :justpost: in the meantime if you got anything else

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

All good my man, i am really digging the blue collar stylings of this game, but real life takes precedence. I think i just want to customise the battle dress a little, otherwise good to go.

Can we put some money into the ships locker and have that as a schrodingers storage of reasonably useful stuff, or does it all have to be on the character sheet so to speak? Like the locker has twenty points of equipment and when we take something out of it that wasn't on the explicit list of gear it ticks down?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah I'm thinking of taking all the "basic gear" type stuff, and either rounding it down as a write off or rounding it up & saying it upgrades the locker.

Then saying the same thing with ex if you want a medbay, lab, workshop, the armory. Really anything that can be easily grouped.

So having an attention to detail and wanting to get specific loadouts, for example with say revolvers or something that are not going to be insanely obviously screaming "rich offworlders" to Uerrgno natives is automatically doable with the armory as-is, but trying to bring several buckets of extra rounds or something someone with firearms would have to prepare ahead of time. Idk there's a certain cutoff for firepower tho

Pretty much unless you want a specific private stash at least the basics will be available, and chunking down more expands this beyond basic. If you get behind on maintenence costs the free ride on consumables and supplies is basically done is the way I'm thinking of taking it, and you'd have to start paying attention to stuff again?

The vargr don't particularly care what you do with the ship itself or the gig -- as long as it seems like you'll be able to operate it, they have enough personal space (which is less than what maybe a human baroness would demand?), and it isn't some total craphole.

They do have some recommendations -- but as travellers some may seem impractical -- I'll post them up but most important is getting the job done without anybody dying, so you've got a pretty wide latitude with how to handle things.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

\
"Happy thread anniversary, fellow Travellers! Don't forget to grab yourself some cake!"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cloud Potato posted:

\
"Happy thread anniversary, fellow Travellers! Don't forget to grab yourself some cake!"

Rolf gets in on that fuckin space cake, you bet

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

:toot:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Man alive, Jesus lol. You know, when I started this I was like "Hesaim, great start location, should be what like 1-2 weeks, maybe irl month tops they'll be hanging around here."

ONE YEAR LATER:
still in the prologue.

Have a half written update that is not in danger of getting erased that i need to finish recombobulating and will post when it's done. Clearly it's bad luck to post update timeframes so it shows up when it shows up. In the meantime here is the last businessfunk maximum performance financial segment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e2xfZpgHZI

to represent going out and buying the last stuff and doing the final orders for the ship.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Man alive, Jesus lol. You know, when I started this I was like "Hesaim, great start location, should be what like 1-2 weeks, maybe irl month tops they'll be hanging around here."

ONE YEAR LATER:
still in the prologue.

Have a half written update that is not in danger of getting erased that i need to finish recombobulating and will post when it's done. Clearly it's bad luck to post update timeframes so it shows up when it shows up. In the meantime here is the last businessfunk maximum performance financial segment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e2xfZpgHZI

to represent going out and buying the last stuff and doing the final orders for the ship.

just imagining the hellish working environment that has this piped through it 24/7

I think there's most of what we want upthread, I'll just add this for all four suits of battle dress:

Heavy plating (+1 armour) 4000cr x4
Integrated weapons mount (pistol) 500cr x4
Prismatic aerosol (extra defence against lasers) 6000cr x4
Parachute (reuseable) 2500cr x4

For Rolf's suit he would add a heavy mount for a light autocannon/support mortar and a beefed up sensor suit
Heavy mount (allows heavy weapons up to 250 kilos) 10,000 cr
Sensor suite (+2 sensors) 50,000cr
Support mortar and five mags 11500 cr
Light Autocannon and five mags, variable types (1 explosive, 1 AP, 3 normal) 15000 cr

Total: 133,800 cr

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

...those require vaccsuit to move in without a huge penalty, don't they? (lesson learned, lol. Never again making a traveller PC without taking vaccsuit 0 from amount the free choices at the start)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They do unfortunately! Carapace armour has nearly as good damage protection though and has no requirements.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Grabbing cybernetics next time we're in town, in part so i can just slot that skill, but absolutely not when we're headed to a TL 4 world, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ronwayne posted:

Grabbing cybernetics next time we're in town, in part so i can just slot that skill, but absolutely not when we're headed to a TL 4 world, lol.

If we are in a situation where we need those suits we will know it, otherwise they can stay in the box with the packing peanuts.