Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hand Knit posted:

Other than Wembanyama and Scoot, how is this draft supposed to stack up?

Brandon Miller might be better than Scoot but also might have helped murder some guy. But he's a 6'9" wing and that's important in the NBA. Then Amen Thompson is a Big Guard that would be cool to get and everyone loves Big Guards in the draft, especially a guy as athletic as Amen. Then it kinda drops off to a lot of upside guys who might be awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Remember this. A lot of people say scoot is one of the best guards they’ve ever seen. Miller is a nice 2 way 3/4. The upside of one is much higher than the other.

I agree with you because I value playmaking so much in the draft, but a 6'9 2 way player with range is like the single most valuable guy in the NBA right now. If you're a GM and you draft the next Tatum you just became a GM golden god.

I'd probably want Scoot as a fan, but I might take Miller if I was a GM.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think Miller has more than middling athleticism, and I think he can score a bunch of different ways. I can see the allure, but I don't think at all he is a high floor guy. He is the exact prototype every team in the league wants.

Again, I'd put Scoot over him but I don't think he'd be a bad #2 and as a GM I feel like he's the guy you want to go off and the guy you don't want to pass on if he becomes a star.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Which Thompson is the good one

Amen Brother.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Metapod posted:

Hes a 33 year old small guard who hasn't played more than 60 games in 2 years, has never done anything offball or on defense, and has an enormous cap hit. On top of that there's a new cba that everyone is very confused about how it will impact trading picks going forward. KD and Curry are way better players than Dame so not sure what they have to do with anything

New CBA didn't impact anything on trading picks that are less than 7 years out and starts 2024-25. That wouldn't impact anything on the next trade market.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 24, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Metapod posted:

It will absolutely still impact how picks are traded for 2023-24. How much are teams willing to trade assets that will effect what they'll be able to do in the next cba? Especially when you're trading for some like Dame who will be paid 50 million and likely put you in the 2nd apron

The only picks that could potentially be impacted would literally be in the 2030s. If you're concerned about Dame's salary he will literally be retired by the time any frozen picks would happen. No one can trade a 2033 pick anyway, so I am not sure what impact you think would happen this year?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mean Baby posted:

Yeah I’d define not suck as reach the conference semis. They also got back an all nba player in that deal lol.

22 teams suck every year?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mean Baby posted:

I think in this context, yes. If you have a star, people act like if you aren’t in at least the top 8 you should blow it up to maybe be competitive to win a championship sometime in the future. Potential is overrated by very online fans.

I think realistically 8-10 teams have a legitimate shot at a championship each year. You are waaaayy more likely to win a championship with a veteran star then without one any given year.

Less than that are actual contenders, but I also think the measurement for success needs to be a lot different than "made the finals".

Some collorerary with real life, maybe.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Having a job for life and getting a gold watch on retirement :: Washington Wizards???

Atlanta Hawks. Find joy in the second round seasons of life.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Calidus posted:

The Twolves also didn’t get the modern trade package for a All NBA player.

Love? Keep in mind contract length is a real important factor.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What can you tell me about Bilal Coulibaly? He's a teammate of Wemby and is apparently a very good defender and apparently Toronto may have promised him

Very Toronto guy. 6-6 (maybe taller), plays great defense, very very raw on offense. Maybe can develop a better outside shot, but needs work. He's athletic enough that he'll find some offense in the NBA, especially at the rim and on cuts, but I think he'll look really rough his first year.

He's going to still be 18 on draft day, 19 on season start so he's legit real young. I think Toronto is a bit high but you won't find a guy like him much later so if you like him take him. There's talk that if he came out next year he'd be a top-10 guy but I think it's smart to come out this year if you'll be at least a mid-first. Let people fall in love with your potential more.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Is Scoot going to be any good as a rookie?

Normally guys like him put up good counting stats as rookies (Ja, D-Rose, Westbrook), but Scoot's 13.5 PER and 53.7% TS in the G-League is making me think he might take some time to develop

Probably not but that's also probably true of everyone including Wemby (which will be more a question of how many games he plays more than anything).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The idea that one of the teams with multiple picks might swing for the fences with him is probably accurate.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ben Simmons is like almost the opposite player as Josh Smith, wth?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Careful, not paying attention whether a potential draft pick has got that dog in him is how your team ends up with Ben Simmons an important stat. First overall pick Ben simmons wasn't even that long ago. If teams valued that dog in-him-gotting back then i bet jaylen brown goes first

Nah, Jaylen had the "He is smart and likes Chess, can he really be a NBA player?" thing. He had dawg questions for sure.

Probably woulda been Dunn or Hield for Dawg in 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

What do you guys think about the dearth of dudes who shoot off movement?

That archetype really needs to do more mid-range C&S, which has vanished. Midrange is still there but usually off screening action or ISO which isn't usually in the skillset of the kind of guy you're talking about.

There are still guys who move to shots but it's like MPJ or Bane or bench guys like Malik Beasley. Those aren't quite the same as what you're talking about, that's more drifting to a spot up and not really the Rip Hamilton thing.

So basically I think its evolved as the mid range catch and shoot has vanished and has become more part of having 3pt catch and shoot as part of a larger skillset.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Scottie (and Wall) were both high skill players in multiple offensive ways. Amen to John Wall sounds closer but I think Wall in general had more to his game than Amen does right now especially in terms of "doing anything without the ball in his hands".

I also have heard the obvious "Tall Morant/Rose/Westbrook" but I feel like he's not going to be the kind of scorer those guys are. It's harder to tell with a guy coming from G-League though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Portland isn't trading for Zion.

Ingram is a far more likely piece, I'd think.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Might make more sense as a 3 team deal. Blazers can keep BI or reroute him elsewhere, Dame goes out for picks.

If Portland wants picks for Dame then they aren't trading a pick that gets Scoot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Wait what did Wall do off ball

Midrange catch and shoot, he'd be a cutter, almost all of his 3 point shooting came off assists. He was ball dominant, but without the ball you still had to pay attention to him in ways you don't need to with Amen (though a lot of that may be G-League). His skillset looked more complete on draft day, but he was a #1 pick.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

I don’t recall Wall doing much cutting or moving off ball at Kentucky but I suppose it has been a while. He certainly wasn’t creating threes himself but almost no one does and he never took very many. I don’t think his off ball game was ever advanced or a positive

I don’t know what you mean about it being G-league, Amen didn’t play in the g-league but yeah it’s of course hard to judge what the competition in OTE is like this early on

I meant OTE, as in not a college system so I am not sure what it looks like both in terms of competition but also what they are asking players to do.

So do you think Amen is as good of a prospect as Wall or Morant? I just don't see a player with that level of skill.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Is Bojan even worth all that much more than THJ?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He's 34 turning 35 next season. I dunno I feel like trading a #10 for that is selling that pick short.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That would be hell of a gamble. Amen also seems to have a redundant skill set with Sharpe. I know Portland loves to swing for the fences on athleticism, but Miller's low floor at the wing has to be very appealing.

I think you mean high floor but Portland does love terrible wing players.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This is assuming Charlotte takes Scoot because I don't know why you'd take Amen over Scoot. I do think you need to think about fit in terms of how you're going to develop Amen. His game is going to need the ball in his hands, if you can't develop him like that I think your risking him busting.

I don't think you take Amen if your trying to do something this season, honestly. The other guys sure, but Amen is too raw.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That's huge, the guy already had a 6'9" wingspan. If his arms grew too that could open a ton of possibilities for him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

From a purely basketball view I'd take Miller over Ausar for sure and probably over Amen depending on my situation. Amen has lots of bust potential. Dudes an athlete but his jumper/free throw is really junky.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

But the things you just said were a bust indicator for Scoot apply moreso to Amen, except maybe the burst thing. Amen has way worse handles and a way jankier jumper.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kyrie had better shooting mechanics and not nearly as much raw athleticism. The handles look similar but if course we only had like 7 minutes of college ball from Kyrie.

As per lateral quickness I'd assume Scoot could work on that? Seems more behavior than physical limitation in his case. Might need to work on his balance?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Brogeoisie posted:

You guys have convinced me to be terrified of both Miller and Scoot as the 2nd pick, thanks. Hornets please trade down and snag a thompson twin

If you're concerned about busts going after a Thompson Twin is not the way to go. Amen's a great outcome for the #4 pick, but you are definitely rolling dice.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

scoot's good it's just that teams don't value the things he's good at as far as point guards go anymore (or players in general)

Driving It To The Cup And Just Getting Buckets is a lost art

I dunno, Ja was getting a lot of buzz midseason when he was playing well. SGA just got 1st team all-NBA. I think those guys are still valued.

Scoot is like a hyrbrid of Ja and Ant, but not necessarily the best of both. He has Ant's body just a bit shorter, his driving style but not his shot. But he has Ja's handles and vision, but he's not as slippery. I think there's plenty of archetypes that Scoot can be favorably compared against.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jordan probably doesn't know more than 3 prospects who aren't tarheels.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This seems like a really good trade for Denver.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lebron will post through it instead of just leaving to play golf and blackjack with Charles Oakley. That's going to be way better.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Calidus posted:

That a weird trade to do before knowing who’s available

Pacers got no one they want in that range, Lakers looking to move up for cash, regardless of the range. Lakers will probably keep trying to go up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Someone tell me about the guy the Wolves drafted please

He's a big project. But he's also big and a project.

6'10, played well in the G league especially for a 19 year old, he's a playmaking combo forward looks like he has a nice drive game. He doesn't shoot well but he just reworked his jumper and it's looked better this year. Iffy defense, but has potential. I thought he looked really good on the floor and I thought he was older. A lot of people had him in the 20-30 range so the Wolves getting him is a nice grab.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Players who can defend and space usually aren't playing in the G League.

I mean G League certainly isn't purposefully depressing value, it's a zero sum game. They depress value on some players it just inflates others. So it doesn't really provide any overall value.

I do agree with Rick that it's not a great showcase. Even with the vets. It's not just spacing, it's who is getting play calls, who is being rested on defense, etc. And I don't think guys are getting up the same in the G League. It's harder to be motivated when you got a top pick locked up and that's the kind of thing that is contagious on a team for young guys. College is usually reverse, your more motivated as you get closer and into the tournament.

All that said, 4 of the top 5 picks were from not-college, and good prospects end up in bad situations that hurts their draft stock in college too, so I'm not sure I'd categorically say prospects are better off going to college. I think there's a certain type of player its more risky though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dokmo posted:

I want to emphasize how goddamn athletic the Thompsons are. I'm pretty sure there hasn't been anyone as athletic in 20 years.

They are super athletic but the OTE was absolute crap defensively and I'm worried it made them look a little more athletic and explosive in comparison. They are elite either way.

Toxic Mental posted:

The hype around Wenbanyama feels… overhyped. I’ll believe he can handle NBA bigs and speed when I see it.

There will be an adjustment, he's not going to be an all star his first year, but he's done what he does against every other competition even against other top prospects. I think people who think the Spurs are a contender now are nuts, but as long as Vic is healthy he's going to buy a guy in the NBA.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think Ausar was a fine pick because specifically he has a ton of experience playing with a paint touch generating freak, even if Cade does it by waddling and amen does it by zipping forward like a mag lev train

I like Amen at 4. Didn't like Ausar at 5 but didn't hate it

three posted:

How many bean pole big men have been dominant?

Durant is the comparable I most like for Vic. It's not 100%, but it's close.

Giannis, KAJ, are also good comps. If it makes you feel better, Vic will be better as a forward than a center.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Ausar is obviously not his brother and there's tons of risk. but why not. gotta shoot for the moon

Maybe Kareem Abdul Jabarr on cocaine and amphetamine. Real kareem played basketball like a man driving a lift
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zklh1oEQFFM

I mean, KAJ had several years to go off of but if I had to imagine what a "KAJ-like prospect" looks like in 2023, Vic is as close as I could get.

And yeah, Ausar at 5 I didn't hate because sure, swing for the fences. I wouldn't have done that but I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Calidus posted:

Wemby structural flaw is going to be his center of gravity. Assuming he puts on weight, he not going to carrying most of that below his waist. Winhorst called out how narrow his hips are. I am curious if the Rui + AD help style defense will work well against him in the NBA. He may just go out perimeter and shoot a 3 over top of shorter defenders .

That's what he'll do. If the Spurs are dumb they'll try to make him a center. He's a forward who will punish guys in the perimeter. Put a bunch of weight on that guy and you'll ruin his career.