Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My lovely team didn't sell anyone even though they are tanking. sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

best rumor i heard over the last few weeks: pitts to the chiefs.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
EDIT: this news about adoree jackson not being traded may or may not have been true. probably not true. drat.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 31, 2023

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Lol. Every year it seems like this happens.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
please do not fall for wes steinberg tweets. he is what's known as a "prank artist". namaste

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

elime anning posted:

please do not fall for wes steinberg tweets. he is what's known as a "prank artist". namaste

really? poo poo lol.

Joe Schoen's the GM so it seemed like something that probably could have happened!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Chiefs really think they're fine eh?

Lost Season officially starts now.

Look the Chiefs just picked up Mecole Hardman again and he's already already tweeted that he is the one who lost the game against the Broncos.

Taking responsibility, mission accomplished. (it wasn't all his fault, everyone worked together for that loss. But...he put in work too)

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/WesSteinberg/status/1553069922271510528

for example (lol)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

abelwingnut posted:

best rumor i heard over the last few weeks: pitts to the chiefs.

Goddamn I'd be psyched in this fantasy world. I'm one of the few really super high on Pitts guys left around who isn't a Florida homer I think.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Apparently the 3rd rounder the 49ers traded wasn't even their own, it was one of their compensatory picks :lol:

https://twitter.com/MaioccoNBCS/status/1719434535698616499?s=20

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

MakaVillian posted:

Apparently the 3rd rounder the 49ers traded wasn't even their own, it was one of their compensatory picks :lol:

https://twitter.com/MaioccoNBCS/status/1719434535698616499?s=20

John Lynch is a very good GM. gently caress. Come back to Tampa John. rebuild us

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Paying a 5th for dobbs and trading him away for a 6th...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

John Lynch is a very good GM. gently caress. Come back to Tampa John. rebuild us

i remember when he was hired and everyone assumed he'd be an incompetent lunkhead who would bury the team lol

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lynch is still a bunkhead, just a surprisingly competent one

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

His tweet about Kelvin Benjamin being cut and hitting up the buffet line on his way out of facilities was his peak.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I was lamenting our drafting Benjamin over Adams the other day to a friend who's a raiders fan.

His response was a sincere "who?"

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

It's easy looking in from the outside to say a team should tank to get a better pick but the people actually making the decisions have other factors to consider like keeping their jobs, fan enthusiasm / engagement, ticket sales, etcetera. I feel like that's a very obvious statement but it gets overlooked a lot.

plus the high picks only really matter for like, top qb prospects. and maybe a handful of unbelievable players. everything else just feels like a function of how good the coaches are at developing those prospects

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Borsche69 posted:

plus the high picks only really matter for like, top qb prospects. and maybe a handful of unbelievable players. everything else just feels like a function of how good the coaches are at developing those prospects

?

The draft market, as a whole, is largely accurate. The better players tend to go earlier in the draft.

Getting a higher first round pick is great but getting high second and beyond picks is also valuable.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hoarding mid-round picks gives you lots of cheap but playable talent to fill out your roster with.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

More picks is more swings which is always good.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
1st rounder you want a guy who's a pro bowl level player. 2nd rounders and 3rd rounders you expect capable starters. 4th and beyond solid depth and SP teams where occasionally starters and better will develop.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kawalimus posted:

1st rounder you want a guy who's a pro bowl level player. 2nd rounders and 3rd rounders you expect capable starters. 4th and beyond solid depth and SP teams where occasionally starters and better will develop.

Eh. Position value plays a lot into this. A later first rounder that gets you a solid starter at QB, CB, Edge, or LT is generally a success while expectations are going to be a lot higher for spending that pick on a TE, C, RB, etc.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Apparently Montez Sweat wanted and expected to be traded to the Falcons until the Bears came over the top on the offer.

quote:

Who are the biggest losers of the trade deadline?
Fowler: No colossal losers here, but I'll point to a pair of teams in the NFC South. Atlanta had its sights set on Sweat, but Washington went with Chicago's offer. That left the Falcons without much-needed pass-rush help. And my understanding is Atlanta was willing to extend Sweat's contract as part of the deal and that Sweat wanted to go to Atlanta, where he has family. All of that fell through. Coming out of this with former Eagle Kentavius Street for a late-round pick swap is anticlimactic.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Doesn't that make it less likely he agrees with an extension with the Bears? I have no idea what the Bears plan is.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Swing big. Don’t get fired. Do better with picks 1 and 2.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1719688238191755595?t=0CCwwcgNjoDj8uZHaXVXdQ&s=19

all my homies hate the Raiders

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Anderson seems intimately plugged in to the Ravens so I'm going to guess that was Baltimore trying to land Jacobs.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

Doesn't that make it less likely he agrees with an extension with the Bears? I have no idea what the Bears plan is.

Chicago can franchise Sweat, I believe, so if they want to keep him they probably can.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Eh. Position value plays a lot into this. A later first rounder that gets you a solid starter at QB, CB, Edge, or LT is generally a success while expectations are going to be a lot higher for spending that pick on a TE, C, RB, etc.

Oh yeah i understand that just talking about a general thing. Also matters where in the round you are but I still think most guys in the first you think will be a standout at the position.

Id argue that at QB you definitely want someone better than a capable starter in the first anywhere you want at least a guy who can push to be top 10 otherwise why even draft him instead of something else and just sign a stopgap qb

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Anderson seems intimately plugged in to the Ravens so I'm going to guess that was Baltimore trying to land Jacobs.

no question.

nicely done Mark Davis, trade deadline day was definitely the time to do all this

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
edit: This conversation was a few days ago, my post was just noise. I removed it.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 1, 2023

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/APGroover/status/1719753357789970740?s=20

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Well I hope the Ravens were being conservative about first rounders and not seconds. Because if you look at their 2nd rounder history it has to be one of the overall worst in the league. We should always use that to acquire someone midseason!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I look forward to endless speculation of Davante getting traded to the Jets in the offseason.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kawalimus posted:

Well I hope the Ravens were being conservative about first rounders and not seconds. Because if you look at their 2nd rounder history it has to be one of the overall worst in the league. We should always use that to acquire someone midseason!

Baltimore clearly buys into this theory. They've only had 2 2nd round picks for the past 6 years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

I look forward to endless speculation of Davante getting traded to the Jets in the offseason.

He's still great but I'm not giving up a 1 for a 32 year old WR who you also have to pay 25 million next year. The jets will likely do it though just like they got bilked in the Rodgers trade and how they will bring back Hackett next year even though he's terrible.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I honestly forgot that Adams was 3 years older that Tyreek. Foolish of the Raiders not to immediately jump on a 3rd + 4th or whatever they couldve gotten out of the Jets

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

I honestly forgot that Adams was 3 years older that Tyreek. Foolish of the Raiders not to immediately jump on a 3rd + 4th or whatever they couldve gotten out of the Jets

I don't think the Raiders were really in position to move him. They have like $9m in cap space and trading DaVante would accelerate about $24m.

They 100% should this offseason though.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

He's still great but I'm not giving up a 1 for a 32 year old WR who you also have to pay 25 million next year. The jets will likely do it though just like they got bilked in the Rodgers trade and how they will bring back Hackett next year even though he's terrible.
They'll probably get a 3rd and change, like Crazy says. And I'm here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Kalli posted:

I don't think the Raiders were really in position to move him. They have like $9m in cap space and trading DaVante would accelerate about $24m.

They 100% should this offseason though.

Yeah I absolutely made a mistake there. Didn’t realize the difference in $ between now and off-season