Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
As of writing this OP bowl season is approaching and it's that time of year again.

Tentative top 10 in each position atm. I haven't watched all these prospects this is just general consensus from what I've seen on the internet so far:

QB:
Caleb Williams
Jayden Daniels
J.J. McCarthy
Michael Penix Jr.
Shedeur Sanders
Drake Maye
Jordan Travis
Quinn Ewers
Bo Nix
Michael Pratt

RB:
Trey Benson
Braelon Allen
Will Shipley
TreVeyon Henderson
Blake Corum
Raheim Sanders
Jonathon Brooks
Jaylen Wright
Carson Steele
Donovan Edwards

WR:
Marvin Harrison Jr.
Malik Nabers
Emeka Egbuka
Johnny Wilson
Keon Coleman
Rome Odunze
Xavier Worthy
Ladd McConkey
Troy Franklin
Ja'Lynn Polk

TE:
Brock Bowers
Cade Stover
Ben Sinnott
Ja'Tavion Sanders
Jaheim Bell
Luke Lachey
Brevyn Spann-Ford
Bryson Nesbit
Oronde Gadsden II
McCallan Castles

OT:
Olumuyiwa Fashanu
Joe Alt
Taliese Fuaga
Kingsley Suamataia
JC Latham
Graham Barton
Tyler Guyton
Jordan Morgan
Amarius Mims
Blake Fisher

OG:
Zak Zinter
Cooper Beebe
Christian Haynes
Troy Fautanu
Christian Mahogany
Donovan Jackson
Tate Ratledge
Layden Robinson
Javion Cohen
Walker Parks

C:
Sedrick Van Pran
Zach Frazier
Jackson Powers-Johnson
Bryce Foster
Logan Jones
Andrew Raym
Cooper Mays
Matthew Lee
Duke Clemens
Bryan Hudson

Edge:
Dallas Turner
Jared Verse
Chop Robinson
Laiatu Latu
Jordan Burch
JT Tuimoloau
Tyler Baron
Bralen Trice
Princely Umanmielen
Jack Sawyer

DT:
JerZhan Newton
Maason Smith
Kris Jenkins
Leonard Taylor
Ruke Orhorhoro
Nazir Stackhouse
T'Vondre Sweat
Michael Hall Jr.
McKinnley Jackson
Dontay Corleone

LB:
Jeremiah Trotter Jr.
Barrett Carter
Junior Colson
Tommy Eichenberg
Jaylan Ford
Trevin Wallace
Smael Mondon Jr.
Danny Stutsman
Cedric Gray
Jason Henderson

CB:
Kool-Aid McKinstry
Kalen King
Cooper DeJean
Denzel Burke
Josh Newton
TJ Tampa
Max Melton
Jason Marshall
Kamari Lassiter
Quinyon Mitchell

S:
Kamren Kinchens
Calen Bullock
Tyler Nubin
Javon Bullard
Jaden Hicks
Cole Bishop
Jalen Catalon
Cole Bishop
Rod Moore
Andrew Mukuba
Demani Richardson

You may now discuss prospects but keep in mind there's no such thing as a proven draft philosophy and a lot will change between now and April

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i asked about some prospects, ended up inspiring this great thread. no big deal. really hoping to get one of the top 2 safeties if this season ends not very well which it's trending toward. or stover

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 16, 2023

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
All I know is that whoever the Raiders draft in the first round is almost guaranteed to be a bust!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Bo Nix will be Geno's understudy next year.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tell me about the late 1st round / early 2nd round WRs please.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Black Sunshine posted:

All I know is that whoever the Raiders draft in the first round is almost guaranteed to be a bust!

The draft doesn't begin until the Raiders overthink themselves into a 4D chess move bust.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Here's hoping Kalen King enjoys more success than Kalen Ballage.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
*scratching Jordan Travis off the big board*

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

(watches exactly two Drake Maye garbage time drives in a loss)

this guy's a bust

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Caleb regressed to merely a good QB1 prospect and is going to drive someone absolutely loving crazy when he holds the ball that long in the league. This year’s tape he has no idea what he’s doing in a pocket or with his feet but has the potential to be an AR/Cam caliber physical talent with what he can do at the margins in between insanely bad pressure decisions.

I told you all about Daniels 2-3 years ago.

JJ’s going to need the Goff treatment for like 2 years to make it work because holy poo poo does he look rough when he doesn’t know what a defense is planning. Still aims the ball too much.

Penix is neat and old. Love his layered throws, hate his injury history and bizarre choices on out breaks.

Bo’s tape is good but I have some serious reservations about how clean some of the reads need to be for him to pull the trigger at times.

Drake Maye makes some fascinating throws but has been functionally playing in a fisher price offense this whole time. Love his tools.

Quinn has elite tools yet still looks like he’s never read s defense before at times. That offense is really presaged on his deep ball and release and gives me some really uncomfortable vibes relative to certain prospects.

Sanders has some interesting tools and timing throws but I’m going to need to know exactly how much of his pocket bullshit is attributable to his dad’s preferences.

MHJ is the best receiver prospect since Calvin. Faster than AJ, more technical than Julio, bigger than JaMarr.

Rest of the class has 5+ receivers I would give a first round grade right now.

Bizarre RB class

Shallow LB class.

Deep CB class with a lot of S conversion candidates.

Lots of variety in edges

Tyliek Williams should be a top 3 DT on the list

Very shallow OL class.

Feels like the overall vibe is similar to other Covid classes where the 7 on 7 talent is there but I think we’re missing some linemen and middle of field defenders.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheGreyGhost posted:

Caleb regressed to merely a good QB1 prospect and is going to drive someone absolutely loving crazy when he holds the ball that long in the league. This year’s tape he has no idea what he’s doing in a pocket or with his feet but has the potential to be an AR/Cam caliber physical talent with what he can do at the margins in between insanely bad pressure decisions.

JJ’s going to need the Goff treatment for like 2 years to make it work because holy poo poo does he look rough when he doesn’t know what a defense is planning. Still aims the ball too much.

Penix is neat and old. Love his layered throws, hate his injury history and bizarre choices on out breaks.

Bo’s tape is good but I have some serious reservations about how clean some of the reads need to be for him to pull the trigger at times.

Drake Maye makes some fascinating throws but has been functionally playing in a fisher price offense this whole time. Love his tools.

Quinn has elite tools yet still looks like he’s never read s defense before at times. That offense is really presaged on his deep ball and release and gives me some really uncomfortable vibes relative to certain prospects.

Sanders has some interesting tools and timing throws but I’m going to need to know exactly how much of his pocket bullshit is attributable to his dad’s preferences.

Agreed

TheGreyGhost posted:

MHJ is the best receiver prospect since Calvin. Faster than AJ, more technical than Julio, bigger than JaMarr.

Rest of the class has 5+ receivers I would give a first round grade right now.

Bizarre RB class

Shallow LB class.

Deep CB class with a lot of S conversion candidates.

Lots of variety in edges

Tyliek Williams should be a top 3 DT on the list

Very shallow OL class.

Feels like the overall vibe is similar to other Covid classes where the 7 on 7 talent is there but I think we’re missing some linemen and middle of field defenders.

Agreed

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I hope the Pats can either continue to suck bad enough to get to pick Marvin or he makes it to them if the order holds as is

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
which quarterback this draft season will be the one that rises to the top once the draft writers get bored of writing their 14th article on the top prospects throwing motion and trick the bears into trading up for the first round pick for?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Coolwhoami posted:

which quarterback this draft season will be the one that rises to the top once the draft writers get bored of writing their 14th article on the top prospects throwing motion and trick the bears into trading up for the first round pick for?

Bo Nix

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'd rather the bears just give a gazillion dollars to justin fields to be frustrating and mediocre for the next five years then go through another 3 year process of watching them ruin another highly-regarded qb prospect. just stop drafting quarterbacks.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'd rather the bears just give a gazillion dollars to justin fields to be frustrating and mediocre for the next five years then go through another 3 year process of watching them ruin another highly-regarded qb prospect. just stop drafting quarterbacks.

Fields might be fixable with the right coach, think it's worth just changing up the playcaller before committing to someone else.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

TheGreyGhost posted:

What's crazy is that there's still a chance he could fall in the draft once reporters and GMs start asking questions about what his dad's been up to since retiring

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Fields has had one of the worst coaches in the league destroying his career. I think he's better than every QB in this draft, maybe not Jayden if he reaches his potential

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

Fields might be fixable with the right coach, think it's worth just changing up the playcaller before committing to someone else.

It doesn't matter who the coach is, it's the bears. They will never have a good qb.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Black Lighter posted:

What's crazy is that there's still a chance he could fall in the draft once reporters and GMs start asking questions about what his dad's been up to since retiring

Goes undrafted when every single front office goes mysteriously missing

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

It doesn't matter who the coach is, it's the bears. They will never have a good qb.

i mean... true

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Black Lighter posted:

Marvin Harrison played the game the right way™, so his crime empire was never an issue. Can't see why it would be a concern now.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Doltos posted:

Fields has had one of the worst coaches in the league destroying his career. I think he's better than every QB in this draft, maybe not Jayden if he reaches his potential

You’re stealing my bit but yeah, Fields should go 1 in every draft that doesn’t have a Lawrence or Luck. He’s somehow still produced in flashes with a team trying to run him in the Colt McCoy era browns offense.

Rosen may not have worked out but I will absolutely die on the Fields hill.

Black Lighter posted:

So, an extremely funny bit has been the way he gets covered by Ohio State beat writers. Usually they’re very very quick to reach out to family/do quick hits with them at media availability. In 20 years, I have never seen them not only defer to but also fail to press a single quote the way they have with Sr. Sr literally said in an interview “I told him to listen to me not the coaches on technique and gameplay” and there was zero follow-up (admittedly because I’m going to bet his coaching points are similar to Hartline’s). Any other parent and we would have done like a week long newscycle about the stage parent involved but not him.

Coolwhoami posted:

Daniels will rise over where he is now but is probably too dynamic and black for this treatment so gut say Nix. I’m not convinced Ewers or McCarthy declare but if they do, then one of them could do it if it they get the “here’s how their college offense holds them back” treatment (it doesn’t).

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I straight-up don't understand the Nix hype, maybe someone can explain it to me.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

I straight-up don't understand the Nix hype, maybe someone can explain it to me.

5 star recruit who started a billion games. Good athlete, good arm talent. Unfortunately, Oregon runs a Mickey Mouse YAC monster offense again so I can’t help but see him as Dwayne Haskins with worse vision and better speed.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

TheGreyGhost posted:

5 star recruit who started a billion games. Good athlete, good arm talent. Unfortunately, Oregon runs a Mickey Mouse YAC monster offense again so I can’t help but see him as Dwayne Haskins with worse vision and better speed.

Dwayne Haskins is definitely a quarterback that would have benefitted with better vision.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

TheGreyGhost posted:

Caleb’s been so weird this year, he’s just played stupid way too often. I blame the bad defense for making him think he needs to hero ball at all times.

Also does anyone have access to the Daniels posts, bc I’d love to see them

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TheGreyGhost posted:

I agree MHJ is best receiver prospect since Megatron but I find your comparisons weird. You picked the relatively weak thing about each other great wr prospect.

I hope MHJ has a wonderful career and scores many points unless it is against my team.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think the point is that Harrison lacks the clear deficiency that other top end prospects have had. There's simply nothing he's bad at.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I agree MHJ is best receiver prospect since Megatron but I find your comparisons weird. You picked the relatively weak thing about each other great wr prospect.

I hope MHJ has a wonderful career and scores many points unless it is against my team.

Correct, my point with that is that every elite prospect someone brings up short of megatron had a weakness that he doesn’t. He plays like super Amari Cooper in that sense.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Caleb’s been so weird this year, he’s just played stupid way too often. I blame the bad defense for making him think he needs to hero ball at all times.

Also does anyone have access to the Daniels posts, bc I’d love to see them

I mean, that OL isn’t helping but I don’t know many teams where the expectation on a route concept is “I’ll throw to you after 5 seconds”. Their passes take longer to develop than an end around, and Lincoln absolutely refuses to run the ball the last couple years which means no one respects their play action or the MOF threat from them.

He had better pocket presence at Oklahoma when he was just going off pure instinct honestly. The more reads and responsibilities he’s given the more paralyzed he looks trying to make decisions. Everyone hit Fields for the time he took on option routes on certain vertical looks—Caleb makes him look like Brady on anything past 10 yards.

From 2021 draft thread:
Jayden Daniels - Arizona State
No idea why he's not getting the bump Malik is. He's the same caliber, if not better, of an athlete, but his arm mechanics are a lot smoother with better touch and consistency at the sideline. Biggest issue is that he'll sidearm balls and sometimes stand up too stiff or wobbly when delivering--both of which are classic Dual Threat issues that can be coached out. I think the limited Pac 12 season has people sleeping on him a lot . He could put up a 3000/1000 year for them this coming year and get his name up there in a big way.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Penix to the Raiders and Odunze to Seattle so my mom gets mad that the Seahawks skip on a QB but can be happy at a good WR option.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Say your team is picking in between 26-32, what would it take to move up to pick 3 to get Marvin Harrison Jr.? Julio Jones trade was a 1st 2nd and 4th, plus the following year's 1st and 4th. By JJ value it looks more like 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and a 4th.

If you're a team like the Ravens, Chiefs, Jaguars, or Bills I think you have to entertain making that trade. Pairing your top end QB with as near a can't miss #1WR as we've seen could be revolutionary.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Say your team is picking in between 26-32, what would it take to move up to pick 3 to get Marvin Harrison Jr.? Julio Jones trade was a 1st 2nd and 4th, plus the following year's 1st and 4th. By JJ value it looks more like 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and a 4th.

If you're a team like the Ravens, Chiefs, Jaguars, or Bills I think you have to entertain making that trade. Pairing your top end QB with as near a can't miss #1WR as we've seen could be revolutionary.

You'd be better off trading to like #10 for much less and draft Keon Coleman.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think this WR group is insanely stacked. It's hard to rank the guys behind MHJ because you can flip on any of their tape and be like yep that's a top 15 guy right there.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That's kind of been the status of the past 5 years. The hit rate on 1st round WRs has been insanely high. Almost any other year, if you pick between the #1 WR prospect or the field for who will produce the best NFL WR, I'd go with the field. I think that MHJ is just such an outlier as a prospect that those typical considerations can be overlooked.

Terrible process, I know. The guy is just such a rare player. The idea of pairing him with a known high quality QB is so tantalizing.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think a lot of kids are going to 7 on 7 camps/tournaments which I used to hate but now think they're pretty valuable. I think it's good for teaching kids how to get open and how to look for open receivers.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
There definitely seems to be an inverse relationship in the improved quality of WRs/CBs and decreasing quality D and O linemen.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think there's an assload of quality defensive linemen out there. Offensive linemen are far more rare.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Strongly disagree. There are some quality edges but the interior D line is lacking. We get one maybe 2 1st round level DT/NT a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Diva Cupcake posted:

I think there's an assload of quality defensive linemen out there. Offensive linemen are far more rare.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Strongly disagree. There are some quality edges but the interior D line is lacking. We get one maybe 2 1st round level DT/NT a year.

I wonder whether that's kind of related. The nose tackles and the OL are there to do the dirty work, close gaps, eat blockers. The edge rushers get all the star power and the attention.