Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

hoi3 was the first paradox game i ever played. i gave it like 6 hours then checked out eu3 instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

HOI2 was probably my favorite Paradox game ever, so I was pretty excited to get my hands on 3, but thought it was unplayable trash. 4 is a little silly, and is definitely getting long in the tooth, but even on its worst day it's never been in that category.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yeah i booted up hoi3 a couple of months ago as a lark and gave up after 15 minutes, wondering how the gently caress i ever played it, and then remembered i just played darkest hour instead lol

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gort posted:

Yeah, I do wish the historical order of focuses was displayed on the national focus screen. The game knows what it is, since it's what the AI uses in historical mode. Being forced into the historical order could even be a way of raising the difficulty (especially if you're France, oh my god)

yeah this would be a great lil QoL addition

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

also i know this has been asked many times before but now is my time: what is the difference between Arsenal and Darkest Hour, why would I play one over the other? I've only spent time with the latter

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Do the paradox monthly subs cover expansions for every game you own or do you have to sub to each separately

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fuligin posted:

also i know this has been asked many times before but now is my time: what is the difference between Arsenal and Darkest Hour, why would I play one over the other? I've only spent time with the latter

The short answer is that Arsenal of Democracy is no longer shackled to 16-bit rendering so you can throw whatever resolution and fullscreen/windowed mode you want at it, so you should play that one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CommonShore posted:

Do the paradox monthly subs cover expansions for every game you own or do you have to sub to each separately
As far as I am aware, the subs are for each game individually.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Arsenal also has some good changes to logistics. I've not played it for a while but I recall armies and navies carry supplies with them so units don't disintegrate when cut off, which makes the AI more formidable.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Unfortunately Darkest Hour has a much nicer looking map, which matters a lot when you're going to be staring at it for hours (imo)

Also, are any of the DLCs for Imperator particularly worth getting, since I'm using the Invictus mod anyway?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Heirs to Alexander or whatever lets you build mega monuments is pretty key insofar as they are OP as gently caress and lacking access to them makes the game way harder than it otherwise "should" be. I forget the rest since I'm fairly new myself and bought them on a sale bundle lol

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Toalpaz posted:

Folks, I am trying to get into Hearts of Iron 3. I chose it because it's a little more military grand strategy than most solitaire economy/military simulation games and unfortunately I've been watching a lot of history documentaries.

The game is kind of poorly documented, has several DLCs and mods, and because it is over ten years old I'm having trouble finding ancient forums posts and videos that succinctly summarize key concepts like production gearing (practicals), supply, and the cost benefit of certain tools (diplomatic influence vs spy political party support).

Is the only way to kind of get a sign post of how I'm doing actually spending 600 hours in the game?

I just want to know if my run is hosed because transport ships take 2/3rds of a year to build and I am in 1937 already and need to reinforce Prussia to invade Poland.

I only have the base game. :shobon: I'll buy the mods when they go on sale and wanted to do a vanilla run before trying black ice, which is supposed to smooth over some delicious bullshit I want to experience.

Check the victory point mapmode. There's only 1 or 2 provinces in Prussia that are worth defending, and you should have more than enough forces to defend them. Any forces Poland sends into Prussia will be unavailable for them to defend their core. Meanwhile your strategy should be to quickly capture Polish VP locations (I think you need 5-6 to force Poland to surrender). Anyways you still have more than enough time to build transports, as you don't get the Claim Danzig event until May of 1939. You can invade earlier, but I would say it's generally not a good idea as a novice player.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I played a lot more Darkest Hour than Arsenal of Democracy, although a lot of that was due to the OG Kaiserreich being on Darkest Hour. I still think it's very playable and enjoyable today, definitely more than HoI3. I dropped that very quickly.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The short answer is that Arsenal of Democracy is no longer shackled to 16-bit rendering so you can throw whatever resolution and fullscreen/windowed mode you want at it, so you should play that one.

didnt DH already have that?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
What we need to get back to is the ridiculous HOI1 tech tree with techs for stuff like tank snorkels and infantry rangefinders and a branching nuclear tree that leads to half a dozen different kinds of bombs.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

can you really play hoi if the courage isn't pushing the bravery

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Some pointers around HOI 3, in no particular order:

- you want to properly configure your Order-of-Battle: two to five Divisions assigned to a Corps, two to five Corps assigned to an Army, Armies assigned to an Army Group, and Army Groups assigned to a Theater command. The respective HQs also need to be within radio range of the units assigned to them, and this is low enough to Corps and Armies that you'll need to move them somewhat frequently. The indicator lines will tell you if units are out-of-range.

- a Division is composed of two-or-more Brigades. The most basic division you're ever going to want to work with is 3 Infantry Brigades + 1 Artillery, and you'll want these to hold the line.
- a Tank Division would be something like 1 LARM, 1 MOT, 1 ENG, and 1 TD, while a motorized division would be something like 3 MOT and 1 of either ENG, AC, TD, or SPAA.
- as your tech improves, you can do things like changing the 1 LARM to ARM or even HARM*, or moving to 3 INF + 2 ART for your infantry divisions
- but don't "overload" your divisions, because there is a Combat Width stat to provinces which can cap the number of divisions that will be allowed to engage if your divisions have too many brigades in them

- as far as controlling your Leadership, you want to have 120% officers, and then spend the rest on research

- you want to have at least one division on every province bordering the enemy...
- ... and then entire infantry corps concentrated in a single province where you've planned your breakthrough...
- ... and then armor and motorized units waiting in that same breakthrough province.
- once infantry wins the breakthrough combat, send the armor and motorized units in after them, and they should arrive first
- the armor keeps going to second- and third-line provinces behind the front
- the motorized will stay at the newly-won province to defend it, and will move on once the leg infantry arrives
- eventually you will develop a string of occupied provinces that will have surrounded enemy provinces, at which point you can liquidate the cut-off enemy divisions
- the depth of the encirclement you want to aim for will be dependent on how many mobile units you have available

___

* one trick to HOI 3 is that the AI does not build/research enough anti-tank capability, so if you keep researching higher levels of HARM, you can place yourself in a position where your armor's Hardness stat is always ahead of the AI's Penetration stat, which gives your armor a big advantage in combat.

Toalpaz posted:

I just want to know if my run is hosed because transport ships take 2/3rds of a year to build and I am in 1937 already and need to reinforce Prussia to invade Poland.

if a transport takes 8 months to build, and you started in January 1939, then it completes in August, and you still have a couple of weeks to use them to ship units to East Prussia in time for a Sep-1-1939 invasion. Don't sweat it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I played the absolute poo poo out of HoI2 but very little of 3. Never could grok the research system.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
both Darkest Hour and Arsenal of Democracy have their own respective takes on overhauling/improving HOI 2's combat to make it "better", such as preventing death star Close Air Support

what DH has going for it is that it has a nice new map and a nice new tech tree, and I believe Kaiserreich was ported to DH

what AOD has going for it is that the developers rebuilt the renderer such that you don't have to switch back to 16-bit color just to run the game. This allows for AOD to run in Windowed mode and/or will let you freely/easily alt-tab when running in Full Screen

I don't really play either of them enough to make a determination on which has the "better" AI or combat mechanics, but both of them do try. My personal take is that AOD is a lot more convenient to play on a modern system (which is why I brought it up) to the point where that's the one I prefer.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i primarily play the soviets and setting up the soviet OOB in hoi3 was just an hour of non-stop psychic damage

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Das ist ein Dom Stack.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I vaguely remember that in Darkest Hour combat width (a stat that prevents you just throwing 100 divisions at a single province) only affects the attacker, so sticking 100 divisions in a single province makes that province effectively unassailable.

I'm really of the opinion that HoI4 makes HoI2 obsolete. Sure, HoI4's frontline AI is dumb, but the AI players have to use it too, and you can override it if you see it doing anything too stupid. The AI's dumb as bricks (especially how it designs vehicles and everything it does at sea) so you don't have to be that good to win.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Gort posted:

The AI's dumb as bricks (especially how it designs vehicles and everything it does at sea) so you don't have to be that good to win.

Yeah, that's the fun part about HoI4 - when you get right down to it, there's a lot of simple rules and concepts you can follow and be just fine in most situations.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
I've been playing HoI4 Kaiserreich a bit recently, and while the strategic, tactical and productive gameplay is still decently to very fun, I just can't get over the DLC has added so much busywork. Every new ship, plane or tank you research has to be designed mostly manually (actually using the auto-design function requires knowing all the different techs required for a particular design template or waiting 70-120 days before actually able use your shiny new model plane), and while I like being able to pick each individual factory design team, it feels like you have to pick new bonuses every other week. I know that pretty much no one here likes the designers, I still think it needs be said that they simple don't work on a simple gameplay basis.

More fundamentally than that, however, I really dislike how a lot of wars feel like a stalemate until the AI runs out of infantry equipment or something similar and the fronts just collapse. It just feels weird that you can run your troops into theirs for months without any real swings either way (at least until one of your fronts somehow 'forgets' to extend to 2-3 provinces, allowing the AI to just surge through and form a hugely annoying but not particularly dangerous bulge), until all the little mistakes the AI makes just add up and everything just goes your way. And if I remember correctly, vanilla HoI4 at release had exactly the same issue. It's a shame it's either too complicated, or too fundamental to really fix.

oscarthewilde fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 26, 2024

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

you may not like it but this is what the ideal map game looks like

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Gort posted:

Yeah, I vaguely remember that in Darkest Hour combat width (a stat that prevents you just throwing 100 divisions at a single province) only affects the attacker, so sticking 100 divisions in a single province makes that province effectively unassailable.

I'm really of the opinion that HoI4 makes HoI2 obsolete. Sure, HoI4's frontline AI is dumb, but the AI players have to use it too, and you can override it if you see it doing anything too stupid. The AI's dumb as bricks (especially how it designs vehicles and everything it does at sea) so you don't have to be that good to win.

As someone who's played a lot of HoI2 and 4, I don't think HoI4 completely makes DH or AoD obsolete. Mostly because the automated front playstyle of HoI4 feels very different than the manual movement of HoI2 and successors.

I think there are some differences in features between 2 and 4 that are different, not necessarily better one way or the other (speaking mostly about DH at this point because I can't remember base HoI2 as well):

1) I think the straightforward production system, simplified brigade system, and lack of designers in DH isn't a bad thing. I think all the designers in HoI4, while theoretically cool, result in a lot of busywork that I don't find very compelling gameplay.

2) It's minor, but I miss money as a resource in HoI4.

3) This might be controversial, but I don't think that Events + Decisions in DH is much worse as a way to write a story than focus trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Spontaneous events can be fun surprises but if you need to trigger certain events to keep progressing an event chain it should at least list them with their requirements somewhere so you can't fall off the main track without realizing it.

I remember this being more of a problem in EU2 than HOI2 but it's the worst when you're trying to feel your way through a country's historical path without using a guide and say, aren't sure if you're supposed to manually declare war on a country or if you have to wait for an event to pop up, and if you declare before you're supposed to (or wait too long to invade when the game expects you to do it manually) you can go hours before you realize you've broken the intended chain somewhere and aren't going to get anything else.