Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Really enjoyed the third episode too, there has definitely been an uptick in quality each episode so far.

Taear posted:

My only question for the episode is this.
So they took out his kidneys. Which is why he was having such a rough time when Rimmer went and woke him up near the start of the episode. That's fine. But if that's the case then what did the crazy medibot actually take out of Lister? He didn't have any kidneys to remove in the first place!
I wish they'd had a line where Kryten says the blown up kidneys must have belonged to someone else and that the entire situation was their own fault. Which would have been totally okay with me!

I was expecting a one-line explanation as well, but as you guess in your last line I assumed that the Medibot was planning on putting the kidneys into Lister to save him, even if afterwards he was going to do something crazy like sew Cat's head to his body or something - that leaves the question of WHOSE kidneys they were, but maybe it was such an insane genius that it figured out how to grow entirely new kidneys from scratch.

Two of my favorite parts of the episode were,"NOT INSANE" and "RUNNING LOW ON PRETZELS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
NO LONGER

INSANE

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
A lot of the change in timbre comes from the books. Series 3 changed the continuity of the show to be that the books took place and not series 1/2. This means they've actually returned to earth which was evicted from the solar system after being made into a rubbish dump.

So Lister has already returned to Earth and there's been a lot of time they've spent around other people. Specifically they all lived lives in the much expanded Better than Life game in the books which Rimmer came along and totally ruined.

I understand why they decided to use the books as the continuity since Lister is essentially a Dad by the end of series 2 but it still means that their attitudes to what's going on are quite different than they would have been otherwise. The galaxy is VERY populated with Gelfs in the books.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

buckets of buckets posted:

NO LONGER

INSANE

That was a pretty great sight gag. Another good episode all around. I wonder why they chose this episode order though. That makes two "investigate the derelict" episodes back to back. I would have thought to space them out. I haven't read the episode description spoilers, but we'll probably get at least one "encounter a novel planet" one and a "encounter a space anomaly" one.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Lister posted:

That was a pretty great sight gag. Another good episode all around. I wonder why they chose this episode order though. That makes two "investigate the derelict" episodes back to back. I would have thought to space them out. I haven't read the episode description spoilers, but we'll probably get at least one "encounter a novel planet" one and a "encounter a space anomaly" one.

When I watched a lot of Star Trek episodes on Netflix back to back I noticed something that when I originally saw them I hadn't realised. You'd get episodes that focused on two or three characters together in a row. So three episodes focused on Dr Bashir. It wasn't as obvious when it was once a week but it felt strange. I assumed it was to do with shooting schedules, those people were available and a decision was made to focus on the same people for a few episodes together because of that.

It seems that way with Red Dwarf since this one and last week's were quite Cat/Lister focused.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Taear posted:

A lot of the change in timbre comes from the books. Series 3 changed the continuity of the show to be that the books took place and not series 1/2. This means they've actually returned to earth which was evicted from the solar system after being made into a rubbish dump.

So Lister has already returned to Earth and there's been a lot of time they've spent around other people. Specifically they all lived lives in the much expanded Better than Life game in the books which Rimmer came along and totally ruined.

I understand why they decided to use the books as the continuity since Lister is essentially a Dad by the end of series 2 but it still means that their attitudes to what's going on are quite different than they would have been otherwise. The galaxy is VERY populated with Gelfs in the books.

Wait, what? Is this something Grant/Naylor said because there's nothing to indicate that in the show. Aside from redoing the sets in S3.

I mean, it's Red Dwarf. Continuity is barely a thing, given how many appendix have been harvested and like half of Rimmer's childhood has changed a few times, but I've never heard that.

Actually, that's kind of something that's bothered me - it's not even Rimmer any more. We're on the, what, third Rimmer? The character we're following didn't have any of the experiences from most of the show, as that Rimmer hosed off to become Ace. Then we follow a reconstructed Rimmer who had none of the experiences through space and shouldn't have had any idea who Kryten or Cat were. Presumably this is the hologram of THAT Rimmer, though there's always the chance Ace came back. It's kind of depressing that technically the character we're following had nothing to do with most of the show. He wasn't even there for Mister Flibble!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Iirc they've said this Rimmer has the memories of the one who became Ace since becoming a hologram.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
ace rimmer is my favourite tale of redemption from all of human culture including the life of christ

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mortanis posted:

Wait, what? Is this something Grant/Naylor said because there's nothing to indicate that in the show. Aside from redoing the sets in S3.

It's in the insert of the sleeve of the collector's edition of series 3.
It's also said in the commentary documentary that's on that same DVD.

Lastly there's a huge roll on the start of series 3 that talks about it a bit more generally.

Rimmer has re-died a lot though. Just think of in Timeslides where suddenly he's no longer a hologram then he blows himself up right at the end. That one throwaway joke means he doesn't remember anything at all from the series before presumably. And Lister should remember Rimmer being alive with him when they were first turned on!
But he doesn't. Because like you say the continuity doesn't really matter all that much. I think they just wanted to make it so Lister/Kochanski had more of a relationship and it was a bit less creepy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I mostly liked this episode, but one thing I did wish they'd done better was Rimmer using Kryten as a human shield. I think it would have been much funnier if we'd been reminded that he's basically indestructible in his hard light form.

Taear posted:

I wish they'd had a line where Kryten says the blown up kidneys must have belonged to someone else
I was expecting that, especially with how they did the thing with the lift.

Lister posted:

I wonder why they chose this episode order though. That makes two "investigate the derelict" episodes back to back. I would have thought to space them out.
And it seems like they started with a pretty weak episode (possibly the weakest). Perhaps they just expect their audience to consist entirely of long-term fans who'll stick it out regardless.

Taear posted:

It's in the insert of the sleeve of the collector's edition of series 3.
It's also said in the commentary documentary that's on that same DVD.

Lastly there's a huge roll on the start of series 3 that talks about it a bit more generally.
I think you've got some stuff mixed up, because the text at the start of season three doesn't match up with the book continuity, it just explains away Lister's pregnancy, Holly's new face and Kryten's presence. It's reproduced on the Wikipedia page if you want the full thing.

Taear posted:

Rimmer has re-died a lot though. Just think of in Timeslides where suddenly he's no longer a hologram then he blows himself up right at the end. That one throwaway joke means he doesn't remember anything at all from the series before presumably.
Except he clearly remembers being a hologram at that point because he's excited not to be. Presumably the time travellers kept their original memories even though their physical condition could have changed. And presumably it worked the same as the first time with the computer reconstructing his mind from a recent backup (I recall him remembering everything up to his actual death but he might have lost a little bit), so it's fairly reasonable to assume that he's still got all his memories there.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I think you've got some stuff mixed up, because the text at the start of season three doesn't match up with the book continuity, it just explains away Lister's pregnancy, Holly's new face and Kryten's presence. It's reproduced on the Wikipedia page if you want the full thing.

Except he clearly remembers being a hologram at that point because he's excited not to be. Presumably the time travellers kept their original memories even though their physical condition could have changed. And presumably it worked the same as the first time with the computer reconstructing his mind from a recent backup (I recall him remembering everything up to his actual death but he might have lost a little bit), so it's fairly reasonable to assume that he's still got all his memories there.

That's why I said it says it generally. The full explanation of it is in the places I mentioned where they're clear that was their intention.
Probably because barely anyone watched series 1 and 2 was when it started getting popular. It was only recommissioned because the outgoing director wanted to hang an albatross around the neck of the new one.

But the details of Rimmer in the ship would now say he's alive and was suspended and etc. I know Rimmer himself remembered being a hologram. Who knows about the others!

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Lister also claims he played pool with planets and yet shouldn't remember that, either.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mortanis posted:

Lister also claims he played pool with planets and yet shouldn't remember that, either.

That's actually mentioned in the commentary. As "goof".
Really though like I say the continuity is all over the show with Red Dwarf. It doesn't matter for the most part. Hell in the first episode Rimmer tries to attack the cat instead of running away to hide!

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Taear posted:

Sorry, but this is total fan-theory bullshit. Series 3 doesn't follow on from the events of "Better Than Life", because the novel hadn't even been written at the time that series was in production(the first book was published Xmas 89, just after the third series broadcast. The second didn't come out until October 1990). And there's nothing in the show tonally that reflects the books, or even references them at any point. The books have always clearly been their own thing, if anything the series got lighter and sillier while the books took a much darker and more pessimistic direction.

If there really is a commentary where they put this idea forward I'd love to hear them try and explain it, otherwise I'm just not buying it at all.

Taear posted:

That's why I said it says it generally. The full explanation of it is in the places I mentioned where they're clear that was their intention.
Probably because barely anyone watched series 1 and 2 was when it started getting popular. It was only recommissioned because the outgoing director wanted to hang an albatross around the neck of the new one.

There was no "outgoing director". It was the same director as Series 1 and 2, Ed Bye.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maelstache posted:

There was no "outgoing director". It was the same director as Series 1 and 2, Ed Bye.

I had assumed he meant director-general of the BBC, but checking it out the timeline doesn't match for that either.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I had assumed he meant director-general of the BBC, but checking it out the timeline doesn't match for that either.

I'm just going off what they say on the DVD and what the inserts and documentaries on the DVDs say. Why would they lie? It's the director of BBC2 though, not of the BBC in general. Nor of the show because that wouldn't make sense.

It's all there on these versions of the DVD, rather than the just the shows ones. It's also mentioned in the show that was broadcast a while back about "Comedy Connections".

The specific information about the books is in the insert for series 3 of the complete BBC Red Dwarf, so the same DVD series as the one above. They also talk about it in the documentary on the disk a bit. I remember being really interested when I read it because I wondered what that roll at the start said (and again I know it's not specifically mentioned there) and why they made it all so different after series 2.
Although if better than life was published later then I supposed it might have just said "book" rather than books.

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 5, 2016

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The first rule of Red Dwarf fandom is to not bother arguing over what is canon. The show certainly shifted to cribbing from the books, but there is lots that doesn't line up. For example the opening crawl to Series III references Kryten leaving the ship and Lister getting pregnant, neither of which happened in the books.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Another new episode up on the web. I like how they always have the one episode a series where Rimmer gets to be his unbearable best.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The ending felt slightly abrupt but otherwise it was a really good episode with some neat (and funny) sci-fi concepts, I loved the improperly printed 3D officer with his face on top of his head.

Rimmer being Rimmer and all the attendant disasters that go with it will never get old to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Abrupt endings seem to be a thing for this series, it's quite odd. It's like there should be a final minute post credit or something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I didn't much care for this episode. Multiple Rimmers has been done at least 7 times before and I don't think this time really added anything.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think visiting Rob Grants website to see what he's up to is worth checking out.

http://www.robgrant.co.uk/

If you enjoyed the Geocities website view of the world.

In a world where the stone roses can get back together it's really a bit silly that Rob and Doug cant work on an episode. Or he can at least be involved in a small way. I would proudly have Red Dwarf on my Tombstone with a bit of vindaloo sauce. Better than what most of us will get which is "mind that bus, what bus, SPLAT".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MasterControl posted:

I think visiting Rob Grants website to see what he's up to is worth checking out.

http://www.robgrant.co.uk/

The shows he made after Red Dwarf were all bloody awful too (The Strangerers, anyone?) and I don't understand his mindset. Maybe him and Doug really super fell out but nobody wants to admit that's what happened?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Grant and Naylor want to join the ranks of Lennon and McCartney, Axl and Slash and Carmack and Romero.

Alternatively something happened on their fishing trip that they must never speak of.

Anyway, the new series has been quite fun. I guess I have a low bar, though, since I didn't find the later series objectionable, even the Prison Colony series which a lot of people seem to, unjustifiably imo, dislike.

I don't think I've ever seen return to earth, or if I have I've blocked it from my mind.

Even at Dwarf's weakest they still have their golden moments. Lister's father and son talk is one moment, as is Lister stitching Kryten up with the period party.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Back to Earth was absolutely awful and series 7 was definitely weak. I think the problem with 8 is that it's actually more like two three part episodes that have been split into a six episode series.
If you watch it back on DVD it's a lot better.

Ddraig why have you changed your name?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Mods changed it thanks to GBS. It could be worse, it could be Pink Floyd Hell.

The later series of Red Dwarf definitely wanted to go for multi episode arcs but the premise of the show doesn't hugely mesh well with that. The whole ouroboros thing feels like they tried to cram an entire series into a few episodes and it didn't really work that great.

I remember now that there used to be a kebab shop nearby where I grew up and whenever it was takeaway night I used to go there and watch Red Dwarf on a little portable telly they had on a bracket while waiting for the order and that was my introduction to the show. That seems like the most fitting way to discover Red Dwarf there could be.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Rush Limbo posted:

Mods changed it thanks to GBS. It could be worse, it could be Pink Floyd Hell.

The later series of Red Dwarf definitely wanted to go for multi episode arcs but the premise of the show doesn't hugely mesh well with that. The whole ouroboros thing feels like they tried to cram an entire series into a few episodes and it didn't really work that great.

I remember now that there used to be a kebab shop nearby where I grew up and whenever it was takeaway night I used to go there and watch Red Dwarf on a little portable telly they had on a bracket while waiting for the order and that was my introduction to the show. That seems like the most fitting way to discover Red Dwarf there could be.

As stand alone telly a multi episode red dwarf isn't the best - its not the right format. But I really like Back in the Red as a sort of Red Dwarf movie.

Tonight's episode is good, not quite as good as last weeks but good. I'm really pleased with how this season has turned out so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrFlibble posted:

Tonight's episode is good, not quite as good as last weeks but good. I'm really pleased with how this season has turned out so far.

Yeah, it was a real solid episode. Nothing spectacular, but quite funny with a good ending. Butler was pretty drat cool too.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it was a real solid episode. Nothing spectacular, but quite funny with a good ending. Butler was pretty drat cool too.

Actually I was talking about Captain Rimmer. Krysis was also good and I like that Kryten really is as much of a loser as the rest of the crew. It seems fitting.

One more episode left. If its as good as they have been so far the series will easily be the equal of ten - maybe better. I'll have to do a rewatch of both series.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't think I laughed once during Krysis. If this was the first season of a new show, I'd probably still be watching but there is no chance I'd come back in the unlikely event they got a second one.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I don't think I laughed once during Krysis. If this was the first season of a new show, I'd probably still be watching but there is no chance I'd come back in the unlikely event they got a second one.

Yea I wasn't a huge fan of Krysis. I laughed a bit but it felt sort of stupid.

The other 4 episodes have been good enough for me to still be excited for series 12 though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I dug Can of Worms, but the personality machine and Lister being drained of emotions didn't really seem to go anywhere - the three Mexican stand-offs were funny though.

My favorite bit was probably Rimmer warning them about the lifesigns he picked up, or the Cat explaining how sex works.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I know logic and Red Dwarf usually aren't on speaking terms, but all I could think during the triple mexican stand off was "Why didn't each of them just kill the two duplicates of themselves?". Real Lister doesn't know which Kryten or which Rimmer is real, but he knows with absolute certainty that the other two Listers are fakes.

I think I've just played too many games with traitor mechanics not to immediately look for the solution there.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

This season was a huge improvement over the last and I look forward to more of the same next year. This is how you revive a show.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Elite posted:

I know logic and Red Dwarf usually aren't on speaking terms, but all I could think during the triple mexican stand off was "Why didn't each of them just kill the two duplicates of themselves?". Real Lister doesn't know which Kryten or which Rimmer is real, but he knows with absolute certainty that the other two Listers are fakes.

I think I've just played too many games with traitor mechanics not to immediately look for the solution there.

Because if he starts shooting what's to stop fake lister number 3 from opening fire on him? Or Kryten/Rimmer from doing it too.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Taear posted:

Because if he starts shooting what's to stop fake lister number 3 from opening fire on him? Or Kryten/Rimmer from doing it too.

I thought the morphlings imitated the look of the guns, but were actually unarmed. If the morphlings were armed then they have no reason to engage in any trickery or stand offs and should mostly just shoot people on sight (it's not really a problem if they kill their own kind either, the episode says that just means more food for them personally). Maybe that's an incorrect assumption, but that's the basis I was starting from.

That still leaves the problem that if Real Lister gets trigger happy it might spook Real Kryten and Real Rimmer, but the eventual resolution involved the Cat just blindside shooting all the morphlings so one guy opening fire doesn't necessarily set off messy retaliation shots.

When they're in three separate groups of 3, if group 1 Lister shoots group 2 Lister and group 3 Lister then group 1 Kryten and Rimmer aren't threatened by it so don't need to immediately open fire meanwhile group 2 Lister and group 3 Lister are blindsided by it so have no chance to return fire (if the Cat can shoot 6 morphling targets without the 3 reals panic-killing each other, then one real should be able to kill 2 morphling targets without the 2 other reals panic-killing each other).

It's not really important but I guess I was just expecting something like "Hang on a minute, I know I'm real... which means" which they could then argue about.

Anyway to change track a bit I thought the gag with the baby morphlings turning into household objects to blend in, then turning into cute things to play up people's sympathies was pretty great.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Elite posted:

Anyway to change track a bit I thought the gag with the baby morphlings turning into household objects to blend in, then turning into cute things to play up people's sympathies was pretty great.

Yeah, I think they did this in the original episode.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

the personality machine and Lister being drained of emotions didn't really seem to go anywhere
I agree. Also, when the personality machine showed up my first thought was "Oh, they're doing Ace Rimmer again. Why not just repeat everything from the old seasons? What's next, polymorphs?" Turns out I was half right.

Elite posted:

I know logic and Red Dwarf usually aren't on speaking terms, but all I could think during the triple mexican stand off was "Why didn't each of them just kill the two duplicates of themselves?".
I had the same thought. But also, why didn't emotionless Lister not just kill everyone like he did the two fake Cats?

Octy posted:

This season was a huge improvement over the last and I look forward to more of the same next year. This is how you revive a show.
This season had a few funny moments scattered throughout, but was mostly bland and disappointing. Season ten, on the other hand, changed things up and had some fresh ideas, which was nice.

Elite posted:

I thought the morphlings imitated the look of the guns, but were actually unarmed. If the morphlings were armed then they have no reason to engage in any trickery or stand offs and should mostly just shoot people on sight (it's not really a problem if they kill their own kind either, the episode says that just means more food for them personally). Maybe that's an incorrect assumption, but that's the basis I was starting from.
If they kill each other, they also need to keep the humans from killing them. If they kill the humans, they've got no food. I think maybe they also couldn't tell which Lister was real because none of them had human emotions?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Really enjoyed the third episode too, there has definitely been an uptick in quality each episode so far.

I was expecting a one-line explanation as well, but as you guess in your last line I assumed that the Medibot was planning on putting the kidneys into Lister to save him, even if afterwards he was going to do something crazy like sew Cat's head to his body or something - that leaves the question of WHOSE kidneys they were, but maybe it was such an insane genius that it figured out how to grow entirely new kidneys from scratch.

Two of my favorite parts of the episode were,"NOT INSANE" and "RUNNING LOW ON PRETZELS"

I thought it was going to be revealed that Those were The Cat's kidneys, and now Lister WOULD have to give up one of his kidneys

Can of Worms was one of my favorite eps. The birthing scene was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
American here and want to say the new season is on iTunes and available to us now.

• Locked thread