Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cobra_Commander
Jan 5, 2017

:siren:SHITPOSTER ALERT!:siren:

Put this Nazi-loving dipshit on ignore immediately!
...I'd much rather have President Pence. I'm sure many Republicans in the House and Senate are on board with this too.

Cobra_Commander fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
never :twisted:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry, but there is not a chance in hell Donald Trump will ever be impeached.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

He will immediately begin impeachment hearings against crooked Nancy Pelosi and the fake news site CNN. Traitors!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Posthumously, 700 years later, when space communism is in full effect and no one has anything invested in his political legacy anymore. Just kidding, his reign will outlive human civilization.

Pence is also terrible.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pence is likely worse. Trump would go for fascism to flatter his ego, Pence just wants to make those he hates suffer to justify his personal faith.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I'm holding impeachment proceedings in my rec room on the 28th of this month. Anyone who posts in this thread is invited.

This is about as close to a Trump impeachment as you're ever going to get! Don't miss it!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
That depends: how turned on do you think Mitch McConnell is by scat play and topless pictures of Putin

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Look, everyone was all optimistic in 2016 when people said "Trump will never be the republican candidate".

Now in 2017, you're being optimistic that he'll have anything less than a 40 year term. Bury your hopes now, they do not belong anywhere anymore.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ice_Mallet posted:

Look, everyone was all optimistic in 2016 when people said "Trump will never be the republican candidate".

Now in 2017, you're being optimistic that he'll have anything less than a 40 year term. Bury your hopes now, they do not belong anywhere anymore.

I'll wake up early on the day after his inauguration to welcome the incoming Russian nukes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ice_Mallet posted:

My sole hope now is that my stockpile of V8-based police cars will hold out long enough to let me roam the irradiated wastelands that were once the Great Plains.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Communism posted:

My sole hope now is that my stockpile of V8-based police cars will hold out long enough to let me roam the irradiated wastelands that were once the Great Plains.

I'm nameless cannibal raider #82

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I'm one of the skulls on the bottom row of the pyramid.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

This. Congratulations, Mr Commander. You won. You get President Donald Trump for 4+ years.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
wait, is this a thing that's happening? I haven't been paying much attention to politics but I thought we were just going to make america great again and stuff this year

impeachment sounds sorta regressive

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Impeachment isn't happening because Trump can just rile his base with talk of elites rigging the system against him and make recall elections a thing, plus the Republicans have more to gain by talking Trump into changing his tune willingly and completely disarming his supporters than trying to force him to do anything outside having conclusive proof he's a millionaire or something.

Even if it did you don't want Pence if you are remotely socially left, just look at his record.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Tim Raines IRL posted:

wait, is this a thing that's happening? I haven't been paying much attention to politics but I thought we were just going to make america great again and stuff this year

impeachment sounds sorta regressive

From a technical perspective, Trump will possibly be impeachable from the very moment his oath of office takes effect. He will be in flagrant violation of the Emoluments Clause because he's refused to truly divest himself of his business interests, and will be receiving payments from foreign governments into his businesses as early as January 20th. Never mind the various violations of the Constitution that he's vowed to commit as part of his platform.

But yes, the only way a Republican Congress would ever impeach Trump is if the other Republican leaders no longer found him useful and believe they had a different figurehead who could win in a media war against him, thus robbing him of his voting base. Trump's Presidency is going to be a test case in "the law does not matter if nobody bothers to enforce it", which will deal critical damage to the American nation-state.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/474134260149157888

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

SpaceDrake posted:

From a technical perspective, Trump will possibly be impeachable from the very moment his oath of office takes effect. He will be in flagrant violation of the Emoluments Clause because he's refused to truly divest himself of his business interests, and will be receiving payments from foreign governments into his businesses as early as January 20th. Never mind the various violations of the Constitution that he's vowed to commit as part of his platform.

But yes, the only way a Republican Congress would ever impeach Trump is if the other Republican leaders no longer found him useful and believe they had a different figurehead who could win in a media war against him, thus robbing him of his voting base. Trump's Presidency is going to be a test case in "the law does not matter if nobody bothers to enforce it", which will deal critical damage to the American nation-state.

From a technical perspective, Trump can be impeached for literally anything at all. There's no definition given for what constitute 'high crimes and misdemeanours' so a sufficiently hostile congress could impeach and try him simply for being a whiny dumbass with stupid hair if they wanted to.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Helen Highwater posted:

From a technical perspective, Trump can be impeached for literally anything at all. There's no definition given for what constitute 'high crimes and misdemeanours' so a sufficiently hostile congress could impeach and try him simply for being a whiny dumbass with stupid hair if they wanted to.

That they could. The big deal here, though, is that they will have to act one way or the other. He could accept these monies with Congress' permission, and I would love to see that come before them, and see how many of even the GOP shy away from outright condoning the President taking money from foreign powers for his personal use.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He COULD be impeached for something totally outrageous like starting a nuclear war or MAYBE if it suddenly becomes unpopular to be a puppet state of Russia for Republican primary voters but more than likely I don't see it happening. He's certainly not getting hit for anything that we would have thought was an issue a year ago.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Only when he is so unpopular that it cuts enough into Republican representative fundraising in massively gerrymandered districts for other parties to have a chance at ousting the incumbent.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Only when he is so unpopular that it cuts enough into Republican representative fundraising in massively gerrymandered districts for other parties to have a chance at ousting the incumbent.

I was having this discussion with coworkers yesterday and I predicted a similar trajectory, It'll end up being either in 2 years or 4 years when his unpopularity reaches such a point that it threatens republican control of either house in congress. Because at that point he's outlived his usefulness and it's time to punish him for the 1001 small needling insults and injuries that he has managed to do to his own party over the course of the election and beyond. As long as he remains a useful idiot, Republicans will stand by and bide their time.

They will announce investigations and impeachment hearings when they think they need to show their independence and ability to "work across the isle." Because in the end, he's worthless to the party long term. Even republicans know that they can't spit shine Trump's image post presidency like they managed to with Reagan. Best thing they can do is get as much visceral red meat out of him as possible and then toss him to the wolves.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 15, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Trump voters seem insane; the crazier he acts, the more they like him. It's hard to imagine what could turn them against him. I think they'd be extremely happy even with a limited nuclear war.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
If he does get impeached, it won't be for two years. That's so there won't be a GOP congress attacking a GOP president during the midterms and also so that Pence could run as an incumbent in both 2020 and 2024 (if he serves more than half of Trump's term, he can only run for president once).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Anubis posted:

I was having this discussion with coworkers yesterday and I predicted a similar trajectory, It'll end up being either in 2 years or 4 years when his unpopularity reaches such a point that it threatens republican control of either house in congress. Because at that point he's outlived his usefulness and it's time to punish him for the 1001 small needling insults and injuries that he has managed to do to his own party over the course of the election and beyond. As long as he remains a useful idiot, Republicans will stand by and bide their time.

They will announce investigations and impeachment hearings when they think they need to show their independence and ability to "work across the isle." Because in the end, he's worthless to the party long term. Even republicans know that they can't spit shine Trump's image post presidency like they managed to with Reagan. Best thing they can do is get as much visceral red meat out of him as possible and then toss him to the wolves.

I actually don't see it happening at all. The massively gerrymandered districts will become only more massively gerrymandered, sine Republicans did a phenomenal job of building from the bottom up to ensure local and state control of the legislature and judiciary. Additionally, Republicans are just loads better at crafting their message. Even if the next two years are a complete and total clusterfuck, Republicans will manage to convince their base that it was the Democratic Party's' fault. Meanwhile, the 60-64 million Republican voters who show up at every election will show up again, and since it's a midterm election Democrats will sit it out.

So I don't see impeachment happening save for some hugely damning and irrefutable evidence. More likely Trump will announce he's not running because he disrupted the elites like he wanted to and just wants to enjoy retirement (fueled by the massive amounts of capital he's managed to inject into his companies). Someone else will run on their ticket four years down the road (when Democrats might possibly get energized because it's a Big Important Election), but the Republicans will have further entrenched their local and state power and will use it to further disenfranchise their opponents. The Democrats' candidate will be a right-leaning centrist who attempts to lure more moderate working-class voters back to the party, and further left progressives will vote third party or abstain completely if they don't find someone ideologically pure enough.

Maybe Trump will be a huge enough catastrophe that he actually damages the party enough to break the cycle, but I have my doubts.

Suckthemonkey
Jun 18, 2003
Never as long as Rs have the House

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Even if we get real live video of urine stuff and a full-blown "Yup all of Trump's strategists were in Putin's pocket and here is the tape," the Republicans will try to preserve him. There are too many Republican House members that are all in on this poo poo, they've been waiting for Benito Mussolini since they started. They need to lose an election first, which they are on track to do.

• Locked thread