Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Nalin posted:

Honestly, I've gotten almost all the armor sets in the Maelstrom so far. They are all fairly useful. Personally, though, I think you should focus on the Shockjaw Nayzaga and the Razorwing Kharabak.

Shockjaw Nayzaga will give you +3 Medic off the set and it shouldn't be too hard to get to +5 or +6. Being able to revive pubbies to full or almost full life is a pretty handy thing to have.

Razorwing Kharabak armor is great for Shrowd. It has deconstruction on it, which makes it easier to destroy Shrowd's death bombs before they blow up and kill everybody. It also has +part damage stats which makes it great for farming break parts, especially in T5 where you won't get all the break parts in a fight.

That said, the other armor is pretty great too. The Ragetail set will make you immune to the Wounding status effect, which makes it easier to hunt Kharabak. I believe it also has +HP stats too.

On the weapon front, I think a Kharabak weapon might be the best. You get +part damage on it. Shockjaw Nayzaga's axe is pretty great too with the self-heal ability; I've been trying to fit out one of those.

So, I would say Kharabak weapon and Nayzaga/Kharabak armor should be your initial focus.

Note that the way they have the endgame set up, islands and the heroic level behemoths on them will rotate in and out. Next week you might not have access to Ragetail or Razorwing. Thunderdeep Drask and Deadeye Quillshot might have taken their place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I hope it is T5 Drask. The whining on normal Drask is hilarious as it is.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Well i just noticed that that Maelstrom map has how long the islands will remain in range on it. The island with the super Ragetail and Charrogg on it has 2 days left. Super Kharabak and Nayzaga has 9.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
There's no wipe at the end of the open beta, right? I tried to look it up and found some conflicting posts.

Having fun so far. Hellion seems like quite the difficulty wall; everything before that was easy enough to S+, but I had hell of a time finding a pubbie group where people wouldn't just fall over constantly and max the danger meter in Hellion.

EDIT: Oh, and are monster HP pools lower or something if you try to solo them, or is it just for extra challenge?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Dropbear posted:

There's no wipe at the end of the open beta, right? I tried to look it up and found some conflicting posts.

Having fun so far. Hellion seems like quite the difficulty wall; everything before that was easy enough to S+, but I had hell of a time finding a pubbie group where people wouldn't just fall over constantly and max the danger meter in Hellion.

EDIT: Oh, and are monster HP pools lower or something if you try to solo them, or is it just for extra challenge?

Monsters get +33% health for each player past the first. So a full party fights a behemoth with 200% health compared to a solo. Soloing is basically twice as hard with no room for errors assuming the same level of competence from your teammates..

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dropbear posted:

According to the official FAQ, there won't be a wipe.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

7c Nickel posted:

Monsters get +33% health for each player past the first. So a full party fights a behemoth with 200% health compared to a solo. Soloing is basically twice as hard with no room for errors assuming the same level of competence from your teammates..

On the other hand, it is much easier to solo some of the monsters like Hellion. When you can control the fight, you can position yourself to restrict what moves they will use against you. But, if you need help, I will be on later tonight Pacific USA time.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/PlayDauntless/status/1003772551204515840

New Island rotation. Firebrand Charrogg is out, Frostback Pangar is in. Ragetail stays.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
From what I recall, Frostback Pangar's leg swipe attack does both legs sequentially now and he gains a frost breath attack that does lots of damage, so avoid that. Otherwise, he is pretty much as easy as normal Pangar.

I finally got +5 on all the current Maelstrom behemoths. It's probably about time I start hunting the Heroic versions. I'm not quite looking forward to the 6-10 grind and the special legendary equipment. You start to have to break the Heroic behemoths in certain ways: while enraged, while aether-charged, and even within the first few minutes of the fight. Trying to herd pubbies to kill something in a certain way seems mostly impossible.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ojetor posted:

This game feels like it needs a lot more content to keep people interested. I'm like 10ish hours in and I already feel like I've done most of what there is to do, which doesn't bode well for a F2P game.

Yeah I've barely played it and I feel like I already beat the game. There's not enough content to keep me interested, the grinds are kinda boring and the MTX store is both obtuse and overpriced.

All of which is a shame because I really, really enjoyed the pace and gameplay of the game, it's pretty relaxing.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Anybody have any good ideas for a guild name / tag? All the obvious ones are, of course, taken.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Elentor posted:

Yeah I've barely played it and I feel like I already beat the game. There's not enough content to keep me interested,
How far have you gotten? I felt the same way but I just hit Drask and poo poo seems to have gotten real now.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
This is a fun game for cool dudes but yeah you kind of have to get over the initial hump of samey boring fights which doesn’t take too long. Just use it to try out all the different weapons and combos. When I get used to all of these later ones it will probably get old again but in the meantime it’s fun.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TetsuoTW posted:

How far have you gotten? I felt the same way but I just hit Drask and poo poo seems to have gotten real now.

I got to soloing the heroic maelstrom fights and they're all rehashes of the normal mode fights with more HP and damage which don't matter much if you can keep dodging stuff. The fights themselves are fun but the amount of content is extremely limited and while fun they're not repeat-dozens-of-times-to-grind-items fun, at least not for me.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hot drat and that's "barely playing" it? Don't I feel like the wild casual right now.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I feel like people give Free To Play games a reasonable level of leeway when it comes to content. As long as the devs continue to push out updates I think Dauntless will do fine. When Warframe first started they had 1 level tileset and two enemy models.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I desire more weapons.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TetsuoTW posted:

Hot drat and that's "barely playing" it? Don't I feel like the wild casual right now.

I mean, it was a fun campaign-like experience but the game is free-to-play and sells cosmetics, it needs a bit more longevity for my friends and I to spend a dime. I might not be representative of the average player but as far as F2P games go I like supporting games that I enjoy and Dauntless ended prematurely in that regard. Which, again, it's not something I'm happy about because I really liked the game mechanics.

Their roadmap mention other features down the road, like ladder/seasons. That might be interesting.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I was told there was a S+++ rank if you got the animated gold medal in everything and it turns out it was a lie.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I just tried a Maelstrom behemoth for the first time. I could be lazy about dodging hits on the last tier of bosses and it taught me some seriously bad habits for Maelstrom bosses. :( Ragetail Gnasher hits for like, 50% HP per hit.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Is there only 3 types of medals that can animate? Those seem right and I can't think of any other that would have that effect...

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not sure but probably. Slayer can't animate even if you deal 100% of the damage in a group.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Elentor posted:

I'm not sure but probably. Slayer can't animate even if you deal 100% of the damage in a group.

Maybe Tactician? The one you get from booping?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, I finally beat Rezakiri and Shrowd; I have seen it all. I also got the drop for The Hunger (exotic sword), but wow is it difficult to get the mats for it. The two I'm having difficulty with is the epic drop from the head of a behemoth in an aether-charged state and multiple epic drops from breaking the leg of an elemental behemoth within the first 2 minutes of the fight. Trying to coordinate pubs for that is quite difficult.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
If anyone else is wondering how people kill things so insanely quick: apparently the ragehunter, aetherhunter and pacifier skills have been bugged for ages. They don't do what they say; instead, all of them give extra damage if the monster is enraged. Stack as much as you can of those and they boost each other, making monsters just absolutely melt the moment they go apeshit.

I just tried that with my ghetto-gear that doesn't have anywhere near the optimal setup and my axe hit for like 3500. If I'd have popped the frenzy potion & frenzy lantern that would probably be somewhere around 5k or something.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Dropbear posted:

If anyone else is wondering how people kill things so insanely quick: apparently the ragehunter, aetherhunter and pacifier skills have been bugged for ages. They don't do what they say; instead, all of them give extra damage if the monster is enraged. Stack as much as you can of those and they boost each other, making monsters just absolutely melt the moment they go apeshit.

I just tried that with my ghetto-gear that doesn't have anywhere near the optimal setup and my axe hit for like 3500. If I'd have popped the frenzy potion & frenzy lantern that would probably be somewhere around 5k or something.

To expand on this, the game uses multiplicative math when calculating buffs. In games with additive math, if you have five 10% damage buffs, it will add them together to be 50% and scale your damage (1+0.1+0.1+0.1+0.1+0.1 = 1.5 * atk). Multiplicative means you are doing 61% extra damage (1.1*1.1*1.1*1.1*1.1 = 1.61051 * atk).

So, the more different kinds of buffs you have, the higher your final damage. Because Ragehunter, Aetherhunter, and Pacifier are all buffing damage on enraged Behemoths, you end up getting over 3x the damage just from those buffs alone. When you add potions and abilities and exotics into the mix, people are managing to hit 20x damage levels. The more "sources" you have, the quicker your damage value scales.

This is how people are killing end-game Behemoths in under 2 minutes.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If one were to have incredible luck with cells it's possible to deal 30x+ stagger damage, 60x if you're just going for the biggest numbers ever once in a blue moon at the cost of actual DPS.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Well guys, it looks like Monster Hunter World is in the Steam Store. RIP Dauntless.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

Well guys, it looks like Monster Hunter World is in the Steam Store. RIP Dauntless.

otoh maybe some of the people that get introduced to hunting games through mhw will grab the free one later once they're done.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
MHW doesn't release for another month and the games are fairly different. After you finish all the content in MHW, Dauntless will still be around as it is an ever changing F2P game like Warframe.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Nalin posted:

Dauntless will still be around as it is an ever changing F2P game like Warframe.
Hopefully, but let's not get crazy here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao I would be so stoked if Dauntless reached Warframe levels of complexity.

I would reeeeeally consider tamping down those feelings. This game might be fun for like a year or two, but it could die at literally any minute.

• Locked thread