Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Thread delivers like mad. Everybody owns.

I agree. Keep posting everybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
i started one of those draw by the gridsquares type deal (you know, for people who are really loving bad at art) of sgt kabukiman nypd but I never finished it (got about 75% of the way though I'd say) and I'm pretty sure I just stuck it in some corner somewhere until I eventually threw it away.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've met a lot of people who don't draw because they're convinced they'll always be bad or they're not instantly loving Michelangelo or something but, please draw. if you want to do it, you have to start. you will be bad. but draw every day. find lessons for things like perspective. actually learning one and two point perspective is what made me realize i really loved making art.

I'm bad, but i don't practice enough. if you both dedicate yourself to making something, and dedicate yourself to learning technique, you'll improve, and one day you won't suck, you'll be good.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
As someone who likes to think they can draw, perspective is still a pain in the butt (mostly because I don't practice landscapes and scenes as much as I should).

Here's my process for a fancy metal bird I posted a while ago in CC:

I start most of my stuff from a really quick gestural sketch.

I gradually add more detail in black and white.

Once I have the values where I want them I slap a color layer over top, if I were working traditionally this is where I would start laying an under-painting down on a larger canvas.

In the case of the bird I eventually turned down the vibrancy and contrast as the colors were a little too cartoony. I also added in more detail in the facial region, paint over some other areas that aren't working or are sort of spatially ambiguous.

I'll usually save effects for last, a simple blur and and noise add with an overlay of purple to add some more depth to the whole comp.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Propitious Jerk posted:

As someone who likes to think they can draw, perspective is still a pain in the butt (mostly because I don't practice landscapes and scenes as much as I should).

Once I have the values where I want them I slap a color layer over top, if I were working traditionally this is where I would start laying an under-painting down on a larger canvas.

In the case of the bird I eventually turned down the vibrancy and contrast as the colors were a little too cartoony. I also added in more detail in the facial region, paint over some other areas that aren't working or are sort of spatially ambiguous.

I'll usually save effects for last, a simple blur and and noise add with an overlay of purple to add some more depth to the whole comp.

Jesus Christ that is some impressive work

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Jesus gently caress that bird is good. What do you draw with?

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

These are v awesome, and I love seeing other people's process breakdown. Really great work!

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
I use photoshop almost exclusively for drawing, sometimes I'll use illustrator if something calls for really clean lines or vector resizing. I draw with a lovely old wacom bamboo tab I've had for ages (the hand cramps are real). Some day I hope to upgrade my setup to an intuos or maybe even a cintique.

I also enjoy traditional print media, I love working with block print and copper plate etching but don't currently have access to facilities to dable in either.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The reflective metal and colouring is also totally rad.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Propitious Jerk posted:

Incredible. Thank you for showing the steps that’s really awesome

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

basic hitler posted:

I've met a lot of people who don't draw because they're convinced they'll always be bad or they're not instantly loving Michelangelo or something but, please draw. if you want to do it, you have to start. you will be bad. but draw every day. find lessons for things like perspective. actually learning one and two point perspective is what made me realize i really loved making art.

I'm bad, but i don't practice enough. if you both dedicate yourself to making something, and dedicate yourself to learning technique, you'll improve, and one day you won't suck, you'll be good.

This cannot be overstated.

I draw a lot as a nervous habit, and I made it a point to carry sketchbooks with me everywhere in my backpack.

I would draw several things a day while working and just throw them away, it’s always for practice

Before you know it, you find yourself impressed with your own work

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

drat that automabirb is sweet.

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

Wow

Paging Nooner

Kota
Jul 17, 2002

I paid how much for this?!
I was a HUGE fan of Sam Keith back in the old days.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I found some heads I drew a few years ago:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aesop Poprock posted:

I made this remarkably lifelike visage of my roommate Keren from when I first got an apartment at 19 and which she just found moving out of the place nearly a decade later

ha ha what a story mark

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
edit: nvm

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 3, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

ha ha what a story mark

That’s a weirdly sarcastic The Room themed response to a true series of story/art work. I don’t think I like you 🧐

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The drawing reminded me of tommy wiseau is all. I like it. My bad though. No sarcasm intended.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Tace Vim posted:

I found some heads I drew a few years ago:

These own, they remind me of Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth.

I've started working on a comic, dunno if anything will come of it since I'm often too impatient for sequential art.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

The drawing reminded me of tommy wiseau is all. I like it. My bad though. No sarcasm intended.

Ah I see it now. We are good friends at last

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Propitious Jerk posted:

I've started working on a comic, dunno if anything will come of it since I'm often too impatient for sequential art.

i love this

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

MSPain posted:

If we are doing more modern stuff, my triumphant return to windows xp mspaint last year:

this is a dali

looks genuine

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Hi I can't draw worth jack poo poo, so I decided to learn 3D modeling instead and I can make some lovely doughnuts and stuff. I'm also trying to work on tanks and missiles and other stuff that goes pew-pew.

In some kind of order of when I started learning in late June.

(the DeLorean isn't mine I just hosed with it)

https://i.imgur.com/wkC4br3.gifv

My latest one

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Propitious Jerk posted:

This is pretty dang cool

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Propitious Jerk posted:

nth'ing how cool this is!

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015

Mr.Tophat posted:

Here's a thing I doodled a long time ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

BillyJoeBob posted:

Hi I can't draw worth jack poo poo, so I decided to learn 3D modeling instead and I can make some lovely doughnuts and stuff. I'm also trying to work on tanks and missiles and other stuff that goes pew-pew.

In some kind of order of when I started learning in late June.

(the DeLorean isn't mine I just hosed with it)

https://i.imgur.com/wkC4br3.gifv

My latest one

These are rad. I like the comic, too.