Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've had avatars off for years after a move where I had this prepaid thing I had to be super frugal with. Yeah I can't really tell most people apart unless it's the long term account of a regular or they post in the Simpsons quote thread. On the plus side I tend to engage with what people are saying rather than what they have said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've had avatars off for years after a move where I had this prepaid thing I had to be super frugal with. Yeah I can't really tell most people apart unless it's the long term account of a regular or they post in the Simpsons quote thread. On the plus side I tend to engage with what people are saying rather than what they have said.

that's the Simpsons meme thread with images turned off, right?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Rinkles posted:

meant more how subconsciously the av to a degree becomes the posting persona, the voice, or you know, the avatar of the poster, rather than just what the av choice tells you about them
Again, the symbol of the material relationship becoming the-thing-in-itself. Can't believe that dumbass FYAD called all this an urban myth in QCS

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 20, 2020

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Zombiejack posted:

Frankly if it wasnt for the avatars I probably couldnt tell you people apart.

I realized this was true when some dipshit chud in the traditional games forum was getting heat for some TERFy poo poo they said. They couldn't handle the heat when people were insisting they somehow back up those bad opinions, so they changed their av and stopped posting in that particular thread for a while and it totally worked.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Piss Meridian posted:

that's the Simpsons meme thread with images turned off, right?

No these days it's all frinkiac gifs. It's not memes per se it's more 5 people having this long running half coherent conversation using only Simpsons quotes.

E: Also I just blew my own mind a little bit. The current one is like the 3rd or 4th iteration of it and it's been open for 7 years but if you included the other ones it's been posted in at least once a day for 10-13 years. I think closer to 13.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 20, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

PinheadSlim posted:

I realized this was true when some dipshit chud in the traditional games forum was getting heat for some TERFy poo poo they said. They couldn't handle the heat when people were insisting they somehow back up those bad opinions, so they changed their av and stopped posting in that particular thread for a while and it totally worked.
One guy I hated for years got a namechange and a new avatar brand while I was away for a long while. When I found out years again later that posts I enjoyed and found insightful came from what used to be such a dumbass it made me rethink some stuff

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
i don’t think there’s a one answer for all in the you-are-your-avatar debate. FYAD’s thing was the mods would regularly change peoples’ usernames to something non-sensical or insulting, so the only way you could identify the poster was their av.

I never really associate people with the avatars, mostly because some of my favorite avatars are attached to some seriously whiny posters.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Then you have the debate on 4chan whether nameposters are fundamental to the original intent of the community or a perversion of its anonymous ethos. I love browsing their /qa/ board and catching the seedier version of me writing these exact same posts about our sad little brother

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
the secret to 4 chan is knowing that the op and the first 1-4 replies are all the same person. The boards move so fast that most people never bother replying to a thread with no posts.

In boards like anime or cute, they don’t hide this. In boards like pol, the troll op and the troll replies trolling the op are the same person.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
A good way to learn something intricate that would be hard to look up effectively is to find a thread on 4chan about the subject and act like an arrogant rear end in a top hat as you say the opposite of what you understand the facts to be. People will trip over themselves to correct you in rich detail

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

UltraRed posted:

the secret to 4 chan is knowing that the op and the first 1-4 replies are all the same person. The boards move so fast that most people never bother replying to a thread with no posts.

In boards like anime or cute, they don’t hide this. In boards like pol, the troll op and the troll replies trolling the op are the same person.

It used to be so goddamn easy to word an OP in such a way as to bait replies i doubt it has changed much in 10 years

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Daikloktos posted:

A good way to learn something intricate that would be hard to look up effectively is to find a thread on 4chan about the subject and act like an arrogant rear end in a top hat as you say the opposite of what you understand the facts to be. People will trip over themselves to correct you in rich detail

The mastery of the troll isn’t really the technique, it’s how you bait the hook. People love to think they’re smarter than other people. You used to have to be creative to hook people, but since everyone is now online in some way, and poe’s law is on full force, any stupid adamantly held opinion will get some bites given a large enough audience. See flat earthers.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I saw a lot of friends and family members become full time workaholics, eventually cutting all ties from life outside their corporate environments. Weekends were always dedicated to team building activities, and lunches and dinners were reserved for co-workers.

This attitude seems to run parallel to the pattern of parasocial relationships— and maybe speaks to a larger shift in how we organize our relationships in the 21st century.

Anyway, understanding boundaries is important to any relationship, para-social or otherwise, and people are easily exploited when the boundaries are obfuscated, often for monetary gain. There seems to be an underlying misconception that real people are somehow going to behave ‘realer’ towards you, in real life. We all can probably look to our real lives to know this isn’t true. So, like any relationship, parasocial ones could be healthy or unhealthy.

I guess this might belong in the 4 am thoughts thread.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

also, all the bio truth gender essentialist Dr Phil takes in this thread suck huge rear end. Just listen to your boys laugh on the pod, god drat.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

hell astro course posted:

also, all the bio truth gender essentialist Dr Phil takes in this thread suck huge rear end. Just listen to your boys laugh on the pod, god drat.
Indeed. Like, yes, if you engage with a sociopolitical analysis there's reams and reams to be bloviated about how none of this existed in the ancestral environment and all the threads leading us from our millions of years stability through a few thousand of constant flux to reach this bizarre present day... but also maybe just relax and enjoy life

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 20, 2020

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hell astro course posted:

I saw a lot of friends and family members become full time workaholics, eventually cutting all ties from life outside their corporate environments. Weekends were always dedicated to team building activities, and lunches and dinners were reserved for co-workers.

This attitude seems to run parallel to the pattern of parasocial relationships— and maybe speaks to a larger shift in how we organize our relationships in the 21st century.

Anyway, understanding boundaries is important to any relationship, para-social or otherwise, and people are easily exploited when the boundaries are obfuscated, often for monetary gain. There seems to be an underlying misconception that real people are somehow going to behave ‘realer’ towards you, in real life. We all can probably look to our real lives to know this isn’t true. So, like any relationship, parasocial ones could be healthy or unhealthy.

I guess this might belong in the 4 am thoughts thread.

I’m metasocial now, gently caress the peons. :yeshaha:

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Hello, Clam. I want to make it clear to you and everyone I do not see you as a wacky forums character, but a human being with a sharp wit who I am always glad to see, even if it's kind of sad in some aspects. I hope you are doing well these days

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
:siren: :nws: :siren: https://i.imgur.com/48w1oas.png :siren: :nws: :siren:

I mean having my brain go from involved erotic fantasy to instantly processing the dozen angles this connects with me on to force a laugh unbidden cannot be healthy

EDIT: Yes, I finished before I came back to post this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Nope.