Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Phy posted:

From what I understand, she later said she stopped posting here because SA wasn't really her kind of place and she had other things to do, and while there were creepy goons, that wasn't the primary reason she left. Also the ongoing goon apologies and handwringing weirded her out more than what she experienced while she was actually here.

That's not to say that goons haven't driven people from the boards before, cause I'm sure we have, just, maybe stop worrying about Kate Beaton.

E: of course that's all like third or fourth hand info and if y'all know better, by all means speak up.

I've heard the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
that post is mad weird but than again he WAS a goon at the time so.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

free neil

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

I remembered this being funny, but I forgot just HOW loving funny it is.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Mouth Dreams is album of the year imo

Not Skynet
Jul 10, 2012

I didn't like Ultimate Showdown or Lemon Demon and goons were still really fuckin mad about Neil for some reason when I joined in 2012. So it wasn't until I saw the lord of the rings video that I realized he was actually really funny.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Phy posted:

From what I understand, she later said she stopped posting here because SA wasn't really her kind of place and she had other things to do, and while there were creepy goons, that wasn't the primary reason she left. Also the ongoing goon apologies and handwringing weirded her out more than what she experienced while she was actually here.

That's not to say that goons haven't driven people from the boards before, cause I'm sure we have, just, maybe stop worrying about Kate Beaton.

E: of course that's all like third or fourth hand info and if y'all know better, by all means speak up.

i mean, a lot of people left around the same time, meredith gran too, and they all diplomatically said as much but it's clear what they meant by 'not really my kind of place' was 'gone to trash' bc that's around when gbs 2.0 exploded out

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Farchie Archie

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I used to love all the animutations when I was younger. When Wizard Power came out I was blown away by the visuals and thought "man, these are going to be so crazy from now on" and then that was the last one he ever made :smith:

Really, if you're only going to ever watch one Animutation in your entire life, watch Wizard Power. https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/91829 It's an absolute whiplash of a video.

Korthal fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 8, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I thought it was weird Fantano gave Mouth Dreams such a negative review when he's liked the other ones.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

General Dog posted:

I thought it was weird Fantano gave Mouth Dreams such a negative review when he's liked the other ones.

Isn't he low-key alt right?

Also I hadn't heard there was a new album and now I'm stoked to download it.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

The entire mouth series is amazing. Spirit Phone is possibly even better?

Definitely listen to the new album still

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE

I always liked his stuff whenever I saw it. Never understood why he got banned back in the day, but then again, I didn't delve into Helldump or anywhere like that because that poo poo ain't cool.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
In hindsight, it is possible Lowtax intentionally encouraged/help run off anyone whose Internet fame was obviously eclipsing his. I mean it is not like this was some solo puppetmaster work, but I remember even back in the day we laughed about how Lowtax seemed to have a spectacular gift for identifying promising talent and aggressively driving it away from here. Neil Cicierega, Andy Milonakis, and the Welcome to Nightvale people immediately come to mind (though I do not think the latter were banned per se but just discouraged from being involved here with their stuff?)

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I remember the thread where he posted Rugrats and the absolute dumping he got for it at the time. He was gone soon after. It's super weird that we're here now singing his praises. The Mouth albums loving rule though and I'm glad people have come around.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Caedus posted:

I remember the thread where he posted Rugrats and the absolute dumping he got for it at the time. He was gone soon after. It's super weird that we're here now singing his praises. The Mouth albums loving rule though and I'm glad people have come around.

The way I see it, lots of us feel a lot easier admitting we like things when we don't feel like we're gonna be criticized for it. Feels kind of like a weight that lifted when everyone was unsure of Something Awful's future, and we gained a little bit of introspection.

or maybe it's this whiskey in my hand

probably the whiskey

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Maybe Something Awful has just always been run by joyless scolds who scare people off and everything good that happened here was in spite of them, not because of them. Just maybe.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I hadn't thought about Neil Cicierega for a long time after his animutations then I watched this series which I enjoyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIEywwDeAiQ

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Maybe Something Awful has just always been run by joyless scolds who scare people off and everything good that happened here was in spite of them, not because of them. Just maybe.

I mean its this but lol at the self contained self ownage in this post.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I didn't remember his surname and thought this was going to be a Neil breen thread and was really disappointed

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'd say nothing of value was lost in running out Wheaton though

1000% agreed on that.

Goddamnit Wil had the redemption arc, then it turned out his redemption arc was entirely marketing and he was just a sad, kinda awful nerd all along.

I am not surprised. The internet's something awful and he is at home here.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Breetai posted:

Isn't he low-key alt right?

Also I hadn't heard there was a new album and now I'm stoked to download it.

He’s a vegan that hyped up Bernie sanders, and married to a black woman. Probably not.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Korthal posted:

I used to love all the animutations when I was younger. When Wizard Power came out I was blown away by the visuals and thought "man, these are going to be so crazy from now on" and then that was the last one he ever made :smith:

Really, if you're only going to ever watch one Animutation in your entire life, watch Wizard Power. https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/91829 It's an absolute whiplash of a video.

You say this but Irrational Exuberance is an incredibly strong contender too.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tarkus V2.0 posted:

Yeah, well so was everyone else here at the time. I wouldn't have wanted to be a woman on these forums back in the day, god drat did goons hate women in their own special way.

I picked my forums name as part of an inside joke from high school marching band, never with any attempt to hide my gender, but the moment I said anything that would indicate I was a woman, the switch would definitely flip. Back then if you admitted you were a woman (especially if you said MULTIPLE things that indicated your gender), you'd be seen as an attention whore. That, and/or you'd be creeped on.

My time on the forum started at the very tail end of my "I'm not like THOSE girls" phase, and tbh I think seeing how goons treated women helped snap me out of it completely.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
isn't neil cicierega an annoying gross weirdo (I don't know why goons hated him tho)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Neil cicierega’s ebaums world song is what introduced me to something awful.