Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

sullat posted:

What adoring wives lol?

the primary motivation for the protagonist of the second book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
Dark Forest was def the most interesting of them because it at least postulated a cool problem of 'How do you win a war when the enemy can spy on anything'

But yea concurring with the overall 'Despite interesting ideas, the prose wasn't very good, and by the time of the third book it just went off a cliff'

Like the concepts were fun, but I remain confused as to why everyone raved so much about it back when

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Famethrowa posted:

not dark forest, but similar depressing take on colony ships being the last humans alive in the universe is Tau Zero by Poul Anderson. scratches the same itch of applied theoretical physics causing a massive change in human society, in this case a colony ship unable to brake once in lightspeed and traveling in time until the galaxy burns out

I bought and read this book based on the recommendation in this thread and it loving sucks. The concept is interesting but it's heavily padded by incredibly hamfisted drama about the crewmembers sleeping around with each other for some reason. All of the main characters do it and repeatedly declare that it is important that they do it, even when they have someone as a permanent partner. At one point in the story they need to lift up the spirits of some depressed scientist man who is important for their mission in order to make him cooperate and they do it by having the main female character agree to become his sexual partner. The character closest to a protagonist is an authoritarian fascist. At first it appears that he might actually be the antagonist, but then he keeps being proven right and everybody goes to him for advice. The most cringeworthy relationship stuff in Three Body Problem was better than this and the "hard sci-fi" part is like 10 % of the novel.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
I just saw Swedish film Aniara, where a colony ship on its way to Mars gets sent on a one way trip to the big empty after an engineering mishap. Bleak European existentialism and drug fuelled sex cults ensue.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

I wanted an entire book focused on this. that felt like a geniunely unique perspective on the cultural revolution. If anyone has suggestions on another contemporary Chinese author with these perspectives from the mainland I'd be very interested.

So I've been looking and it's drat hard to google anything that isn't published by a lit professor from the US or UK.

I did find this which seems... kinda relevant? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59553671-the-subplot

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

jazzyjay posted:

I just saw Swedish film Aniara, where a colony ship on its way to Mars gets sent on a one way trip to the big empty after an engineering mishap. Bleak European existentialism and drug fuelled sex cults ensue.

That’s the most depressing film I’ve ever seen. Still don’t know what the point of that last scene was except a big downer exclamation point on the whole thing

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I’ve been reading this as well, does anyone know if the prose is considered good in Chinese, or is it a faithful translation of some uninspired writing? Partway through the second book and it’s funny they keep refrigerating people so they can have their deadly diseases cured in the future but there’s never been a mention of the global defense effort focusing on medicine. Hope that turns into a very funny mistake

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

So I've been looking and it's drat hard to google anything that isn't published by a lit professor from the US or UK.

I did find this which seems... kinda relevant? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59553671-the-subplot

drat, thanks, that's not exactly what I was hoping for, but it's certainly something that will scratch the itch.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Why were the aliens trying so hard to kill Lou ji anyway? Is it ever implied they could see the future? He would have just been some random loser if they had just sat on their hands

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Agreeing the author is misogynist because Cheng is the biggest idiot ever written and just fucks up plans of the male characters

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

What would win (in a woman’s mind): saving every human life in existence and the continued existence of the human race vs holding a baby exactly once

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

Why were the aliens trying so hard to kill Lou ji anyway? Is it ever implied they could see the future? He would have just been some random loser if they had just sat on their hands

because they had spied on what's her face telling luo ji about the axioms of galactic civilization over the grave at the beginning. they knew she was correct and that he could use it to figure out the dark forest theory which would allow humans to beat the trisolarans by broadcasting their location. i think.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

a.p. dent posted:

because they had spied on what's her face telling luo ji about the axioms of galactic civilization over the grave at the beginning. they knew she was correct and that he could use it to figure out the dark forest theory which would allow humans to beat the trisolarans by broadcasting their location. i think.

That’s all true and doesn’t at all negate my question. Just a dumb way to get characters where he wanted them

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Finished this trilogy and I agree with most people that the second book had the most interesting conflicts, the third book was kind of a slog even if the ending scene was pretty good. Lot of dumb parts though, particularly the one wallfacer getting stoned to death accompanied by the most ham handed dialogue imaginable. If you’re thinking of reading this but haven’t read any Stanisław Lem yet, check out that Lem first to get a good dose of pessimistic sci fi with much better prose

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The prose and characters are largely lukewarm rear end, it has some interesting ideas and scenes though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

sebmojo posted:

The prose and characters are largely lukewarm rear end, it has some interesting ideas and scenes though.

I also liked scifi from a non Western perspective but agreed.

Also agreed that women occupy a...special...place in his writing

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Woodsy Owl posted:

The first book gets so dumb so fast around 60% of the way through.

Yeah I felt like I was getting trolled when it cut to the aliens.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I could like, have accepted this if these books were 40+ years older, but this poo poo isn't even ten years old yet and it reads like something from that time period.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 8, 2023

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fje8el375T0

Any thoughts?

Looks like substantial changes to the tone of the book, which I can't disagree with. The headset is no longer standard VR, now it's alien tech. I'm assuming John Bradley is playing Wang Miao.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Updog Scully posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fje8el375T0

Any thoughts?

Looks like substantial changes to the tone of the book, which I can't disagree with. The headset is no longer standard VR, now it's alien tech. I'm assuming John Bradley is playing Wang Miao.

yeah that looks potentially interesting.

ayy jess hong is a kiwi i thought i recognised those flat vowels.

she was in this bonkers thing: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14301316/

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

There's also this ARG thing

https://donotanswer.co/

Not sure what they're going for with this one. Are people going to jump into an ARG for the sake of... the first season of a show they've never watched and know nothing about?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I don’t see how this can’t be, at the very least, a very interesting watch. It’s a book so rammed with concepts that would be visually stunning that good art direction and effects could halfway-carry it. Yeah I guess Sam Tarly is ‘numbers appear in my vision’ guy.

I wonder who’s going to play the chad Luo Ji.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I'm pretty hopeful about the Netflix show. I binged my way through the Tencent adaptation a few weeks ago while I was sick, and while I really liked it, it was super bloated and drawn out. The Netflix version is going to be much shorter and more streamlined (8 eps vs 30), and they're already tossing in characters from later books (Thomas Wade and Sophon confirmed) which makes me think they've got full series plans.

For all of GoT's issues, D&D are good at spectacles, and if they do things right, this will definitely be a spectacle. And at least this time they're working with a complete source material. If they can make the heavier science stuff digestible in a TV format and create more interesting characters, I think it should be entertaining at the very least.

e: also, I just finished Death's End yesterday and god drat. I really hope either the Tencent series or the Netflix series makes it to the climax of that book.

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 2, 2023

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Netflix finally released the passcode to https://donotanswer.co

It's "santi".

Looks like a trailer's coming out on the 9th. The preview had some very neat graphics.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
They're also going to have a booth set up at CES on the 9th with a VR Three Body experience.
https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/netflix-3-body-problem-immersive-experience-ces-2024-1235848549/

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Some early photos of the CES booth with VR headsets. The trailer should be coming out this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/AlexTench/status/1744443704037773724

https://twitter.com/3bodyuniverse/status/1744779910563152122

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Trailer's out!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mogSbMD6EcY

Strong start with the Radiohead remix.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Yeah, the trailer looks awesome. I'm hyped.

And this looks sick

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Almost sounds like part of the plot:

https://twitter.com/ruima/status/1773604646386594079

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

that's insane. Really taking the lessons from breaking bad to heart.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
since when did they let you make tweets so long

e, for folks who don't want to go to twitter / prevent link rot:

quote:

Crazy story of the week:

The tragic incident surrounding the Netflix adaptation of the "Three Body Problem" series is not widely known among its fans. Lin Qi, a visionary and brilliant young billionaire, acquired the rights to the "Three Body Problem" with the ambition of creating various products from it. He enlisted the expertise of Xu Yao, a distinguished lawyer, appointing him CEO to spearhead the business operations, including securing a deal with Netflix—a feat for which Lin compensated Xu with a salary of nearly $3 million. However, Xu's performance did not meet expectations beyond the Netflix agreement, leading Lin to reduce his salary to $750,000 and bring in additional executives to enhance business operations. Xu, retaining his CEO title, was reportedly infuriated by this demotion and further aggravated by not being credited as a producer on the Netflix project.

Driven by revenge and inspired by the TV show "Breaking Bad," Xu meticulously planned Lin's murder. He purchased 160 phones and established a company in Japan to acquire the necessary chemicals for his scheme, testing them on animals. Xu then poisoned Lin and his colleagues, disguising the lethal substances as an advanced probiotic. Lin unsuspectingly consumed it and soon after was hospitalized, where it was immediately apparent he had been poisoned, though the specific toxins were unknown. The police quickly suspected Xu, who, had he disclosed the nature of the poisons (later found to have included exotic substances such as pufferfish poison and mercury and at least three other poisons), could have saved Lin's life. However, he chose not to, ensuring Lin's demise. Just a few days ago, as the show was premiering globally, Xu was finally sentenced to death for the murder of Lin and attempted murder of two other colleagues, who survived but with lifelong injuries.

Lin Qi, credited as an executive producer on the Netflix project posthumously, passed away at the age of 39. RIP 🕯️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wtf