Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Just finished the Great Outdoor Fight story for the first time. This is one of those things, isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

bloodychill posted:

Just finished the Great Outdoor Fight story for the first time. This is one of those things, isn't it.

Yes.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

bloodychill posted:

I just read that also, it was one of the more hosed-up and funny comic arcs that I've ever read. I'm definitely thinking that Achewood is one of those things, indeed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember when we were all following along at the time and nobody had any clue what was going to happen next (and boy looking back there were some retarded theories) and the panicked rush to see if the strip had updated every time a new post was made in the thread. Good time, good times.

I'm glad I wasn't reading when the Secret Ice Cream Shoppe storyline was going on though, because I don't think my heart could have taken it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Teodor's middle-class conservative family values are carried only as cargo from his own adolescence, not built up through own experience. So his misguided sense of an otter's true home is what got punched in the erection and fell to the floor with a slide whistle sound.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

bloodychill posted:

The tears they do come but they are not often.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Onstad never stop doing alt text. I wish I could save alt text with my favourite comics sometimes :(.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Onstad never stop doing alt text. I wish I could save alt text with my favourite comics sometimes :(.

"You can do whatever you want in life" remains my favorite alt text from anything, EVER.

E: Now with relevant strip linkage! Consider it :nws: for angry cat dong, though, I guess.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 30, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Grandpa Pap posted:

"You can do whatever you want in life" remains my favorite alt text from anything, EVER.

E: Now with relevant strip linkage! Consider it :nws: for angry cat dong, though, I guess.

Hey man, that's "etch on your tombstone" poo poo right there.

The alt-text, not the angry cat dong.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Hey man, that's "etch on your tombstone" poo poo right there.

The alt-text, not the angry cat dong.
Why not both?

Mage Ham
Apr 28, 2010
Hmm.
Well, this arc, while not my favorite, is a great demonstration of the primary reason I keep reading the comic; the bits that aren't outright punch-lines, but just have the rhythm of a conversation or a situation absolutely pitch-perfect.

It has been years since I experienced the awkwardness of visiting an elderly relative with no clear idea of what constitutes entertainment or, indeed, nourishment. The last few sad strips have been absolutely true to those times.

Truly, my sense of filial piety has been comically nut-punched, as so much else.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Mage Ham posted:

It has been years since I experienced the awkwardness of visiting an elderly relative with no clear idea of what constitutes entertainment or, indeed, nourishment. The last few sad strips have been absolutely true to those times.

Never before have I realized how great my dear departed Grandma was. Yes, she was an old woman who couldn't cook. Yes her house was covered in creepy dolls and furniture you couldn't touch.

But she was smart enough to buy a motherfucking Master System as soon as her grandkids were old enough to play it.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
Onstad, I am so happy that you are at Renn Fayre this weekend. A man who has tasted as many different kinds of bacon as you have is truly qualified to be involved in the Meat Smoke.

ProfZoom
Mar 22, 2005

This is our last dance!
But what was the deal with Steve and his "Pork chops and buttered rice" episode?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
He knew that if Philippe asked for that meal and his mom couldn't deliver, his nostalgic illusion of "home" would begin to unravel.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Hey, new strip!

Cornelius bustin' out the Wisdom.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
drat it, Achewood. Every time I read about those garlic and rosemary shrimp skewers, I want to make them. Then I have to remind myself I live in a condo and have no easy access to a grill! Stupid tasty shrimp!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Tidy indeed, Mr Bear.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Helter Skelter posted:

Hey, new strip!

Cornelius bustin' out the Wisdom.

You need some :siren:s on that! I missed it first time around!

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Shanty posted:

You need some :siren:s on that! I missed it first time around!

If you're checking the thread before Achewood.com, you're not doing yourself a favor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Teodor has so much to learn from everybody in the world. Hell, even Pat has managed to stumble into an actual honest to God relationship.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Grilldos posted:

If you're checking the thread before Achewood.com, you're not doing yourself a favor.

If you are checking Achewood.com more often than you check your bookmarked threads list for new posts here then you may have a problem.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

If you are checking Achewood.com more often than you check your bookmarked threads list for new posts here then you may have a problem.

I said the thread, not your list of bookmarks. Every month or so we get people complaining about having strips spoiled by visiting the thread before Achewood proper, even with sirens. If there's a post jump in this thread, just check for a new script before hitting this up.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

EndOfTheWorld posted:

drat it, Achewood. Every time I read about those garlic and rosemary shrimp skewers, I want to make them. Then I have to remind myself I live in a condo and have no easy access to a grill! Stupid tasty shrimp!

http://www.foodreference.com/html/crspy-pan-shmp-218.html

??? Cook them on a pan maybe?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The bear is teaching us that you can't go home again. He drops truth like a clumsy waiter drops plates.

I remember the first time I visited my folks after getting out of college and sleeping in my old room, which they had since "fixed up" into a guest room. I couldn't begrudge them that because hey, it's their house and I no longer lived there, but the feeling of being a guest in your own room (with new and unfamiliar wallpaper, curtains and even unfamiliar bed sheets and blankets) is incredibly disheartening. Poor little otter. It's a tough fact to face but you must face it eventually.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Howard Beale posted:

The bear is teaching us that you can't go home again. He drops truth like a clumsy waiter drops plates.

I remember the first time I visited my folks after getting out of college and sleeping in my old room, which they had since "fixed up" into a guest room.

I remember coming into the realization that it wasn't my room anymore when I was packing to leave. I spent probably 10 years getting that room the way I liked it and it'll never be that way again. Since then, my rooms changed every year.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I remember coming into the realization that it wasn't my room anymore when I was packing to leave. I spent probably 10 years getting that room the way I liked it and it'll never be that way again. Since then, my rooms changed every year.

No room is ever as importantly laid out. I dont care which way my bed faces anymore, or whats on the wall exactly where my eyes will hit it at certain times, but man back in my room growing up, things was different.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Satch posted:

No room is ever as importantly laid out. I dont care which way my bed faces anymore, or whats on the wall exactly where my eyes will hit it at certain times, but man back in my room growing up, things was different.

Absolutely. With this room I opted to put a lot of posters up (I'm 22 leave me alone) and try and get that feel back. Its there, a little, but its missing the mark my brother's elbow made when I pushed him into a wall, the old thumb tack holes where posters were before I moved them and moved them again, the glow in the dark stars I put on the ceiling when I was in fourth grade, and the electric candles my dad puts in the windows every year at Christmas time. Theres also the test painting spot on the ceiling from when I was helping mom paint it before the room got renovated.

Goddamn I miss my room :smith:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My step-mom reminds me that I can "eat whatever I want from the fridge" every time I visit.

I know that. It's been that way since 1989. Having to be told I could eat their food when I was 19 made me realize I had become a guest.

Is it always about food?

E: Comma usage...

BetterWeirdthanDead fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 5, 2010

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
This truly is the Saddest Thing.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I had a bizarre twist in my coming home story.

Both my parents worked long hours when I was little so food was always sub-par. My childhood was filled with runny boxes of mac and cheese, painfully dry pork chops, and tasteless vegetables.

I had to move back home after I was laid off only to find that my Mom had transformed into a good cook. The first night back she made quiche! The best quiche I had ever eaten! This is the same woman that once burned spaghetti!

To this day I still don't know what the gently caress :psyduck:

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
None of my parents still reside in any of my childhood homes. Staying with my mother involves delicious french toast I can never seem to get right myself. Staying with my dad involves alcohol and dirty jokes.

So the essence of my childhood still comes through, though. Except for the alcohol. That's a bonus.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

withak posted:

RSS feeds are cool.

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

My childhood home was burned to the ground by an accountant and his unmanned grill. There is a new strip. SIREN EMOTICON! / SIREN EMOTICON

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Chris Onstad posted:

My childhood home was burned to the ground by an accountant and his unmanned grill. There is a new strip. SIREN EMOTICON! / SIREN EMOTICON
Holy jesus this is going to be hilarious.

And utterly terrifying.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Chris Onstad posted:

My childhood home was burned to the ground by an accountant and his unmanned grill. There is a new strip. :siren:! / :siren:

Holy poo poo Nice Pete back on form and his form is Terrifying.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"NO."

Oh God :gonk:

Also, doesn't Teodor live on the second floor? Oh God....

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
Terrifying being the main word here.

Just let me pull on some... some pants...

No, no

Nothing like that

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

panel four oh god panel four

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't