Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like that the Sony doesn't have a keyboard, it just takes up space on the Kindle and i never use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortinbras
Aug 6, 2007

fort-en-bras

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Kinda cool double tapping a word and having the dictionary pop open automatically.

God yes, this is the best feature. I never realised how many words I thought I knew but actually didn't because I was too lazy to go and find a dictionary.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Yeah, the Nook Color does the word lookup thing too, it's pretty neat. Also cool is the highlighting feature, so you can bookmark and highlight passages and then get back to them later easily. You can also copy/paste them to an email to yourself if you need to use them in something and don't feel like retyping, which I actually had to use the other day for a powerpoint presentation.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I like that the Sony doesn't have a keyboard, it just takes up space on the Kindle and i never use it.

I like the keyboard being there because then I can hold it by the bottom of the device without touching the screen.

How does this work with Sony readers, or the Nook even? You have to get fingerprints on it?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The only reasons I like my sony moreso than the kindle or nook :

1: milled aluminum feels "tougher" than kindle. Kindle is great and apparently made of metal as well, but feels fragile as hell.

It doesn't just feel tougher, it is tougher. My PRS-505 took a lot of drops without any damage, while my Kindle took one drop and the case popped open (fortunately I could just pop it back together).

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Centipeed posted:

I like the keyboard being there because then I can hold it by the bottom of the device without touching the screen.

How does this work with Sony readers, or the Nook even? You have to get fingerprints on it?

The edges of the Nook are big enough that you can hold it by the edges, or you can hold it by the touchscreen (not the reading screen) if you like. As long as the touchscreen isn't lit up, it won't register you touching it, unless you're swiping it for a page turn.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
On the sony, there are buttons on the bottom to use as page turners and menu options, so you aren't tied to using the screen for everything.

Agreed with the toughness. I dropped my 500 hard enough to gouge a chunk out of the bottom side of the screen, and it's still rocking on.

The 505 came with an awesome leather case that survived about a year and a half in my duffel bag that I drug to work everyday. It's still going strong, but I sold it to a dude in russia.

The 650 didn't come with a case, but I bought a cheap kindle one on ebay when I was trying them out and it fits "good enough".

They builds em tough.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sony always designs high quality hardware, it's just that software side that is godawful.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hey... it probably took them at least a whole weekend to design the library software <:mad:>

Agreed though, I only use it to buy books. Everything else gets lobbed into calibre.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Sony always designs high quality hardware, it's just that software side that is godawful.

Which is why i keep going back and forth between the K3 and the Sony PRS350 (nook isnt sold here and cant be bothered sorting out getting one from the states).

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I recently dropped my Kindle from a height of about 6-7 feet onto a concrete floor and it landed on its screen. No damage whatsoever.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

maxnmona posted:

I recently dropped my Kindle from a height of about 6-7 feet onto a concrete floor and it landed on its screen. No damage whatsoever.

My kindle dropped from about 3 feet onto concrete and ended up with an inch of dead screen. I suspect this is because it landed on a corner at an angle just right to pull it apart a tiny bit. I doubt it would have broken if I weren't too cheap to buy a case.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Seems like the ongoing demise of Borders is causing Kobos to go for dirt cheap now. Or were they always this low? They seem to be starting around $60 on eBay, which puts that stupid ad-supported Kindle to shame. Granted they're not really equivalent, but the Kobo also does the library DRM stuff that the Kindle won't. It's pretty drat tempting, even if it is kind of the most feature-poor of the e-ink readers.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

CrashCat posted:

Seems like the ongoing demise of Borders is causing Kobos to go for dirt cheap now. Or were they always this low? They seem to be starting around $60 on eBay, which puts that stupid ad-supported Kindle to shame. Granted they're not really equivalent, but the Kobo also does the library DRM stuff that the Kindle won't. It's pretty drat tempting, even if it is kind of the most feature-poor of the e-ink readers.

A new Kobo is just around the corner (Fathers Day) so the price is dropping across the board.

Borders owns a minority stock in Kobo, Kobo is primarily owned by Chapters Indigo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

I didn't know about the new Kobo, but borders stores going out of business are selling them for $50 (I got one for my g/f), so I would imagine there are people buying them cheap and selling them to people who dont realize it isn't worth that much.

My opinion on Kindle durability is the Kindle is light enough that a case isn't that much more weight, and I would not recommend using a kindle without a case. Keyboard wise I really appreciate it for browsing for exact books off Amazon and for making occassion notes. If you are using it just for reading I don't see the need for a touchscreen, but I do really like the keyboard just for that occassional use.

Someone please remind me to update the OP when the Kobo 2 is released.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Duckman2008 posted:

I didn't know about the new Kobo, but borders stores going out of business are selling them for $50 (I got one for my g/f), so I would imagine there are people buying them cheap and selling them to people who dont realize it isn't worth that much.
Yeah, unfortunately the only Borders closing that's still open is in the poo poo part of town so I guess I'll be making some opportunistic eBay jerk happy. Still worth it in the long run though, I think.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I posted this a while ago, but while the thread is on the subject of Kindle durability, the Otterbox case is a nice option.

I haven't deliberately abused mine or anything, but it has been thrown around a bit and has had no malfunctions.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
poo poo, that is exactly the case I need. My keyboard's letters are wearing off already - amazon credited me enough to buy the lovely little nokey 'case' but it looked like a sticker rather than an actual case so I never got it.

epicstop
Apr 10, 2011
What do you guys think about ePUB in general? I like it for short reads, but I prefer reader-specific formatting for clarity of text.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You are seeing the difference in formatting between different files, it doesn't have anything to do with the format.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

The Rat posted:

I posted this a while ago, but while the thread is on the subject of Kindle durability, the Otterbox case is a nice option.

I haven't deliberately abused mine or anything, but it has been thrown around a bit and has had no malfunctions.

What's all the gross white gunk all over the front of it? Is it felt or something that gets all kinds of poo poo sticking to it?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

The Rat posted:

Do they still make one for kindle 2's? I couldn't find anything on amazon.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

epicstop posted:

What do you guys think about ePUB in general? I like it for short reads, but I prefer reader-specific formatting for clarity of text.

What does this even mean?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

Amazon Warehouse Deals has the Black Lighted Kindle 3 cover for $14.99. Apparently condition varies, but some people report getting brand new covers:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003DZ165W/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
$25 now, but still a good deal if they are in respectable shape. Where did you see people reporting what they got?

Edit: Found a discussion on SlickDeals: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2835707

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

smackfu posted:

$25 now, but still a good deal if they are in respectable shape. Where did you see people reporting what they got?

Edit: Found a discussion on SlickDeals: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2835707

I bought one at $15 a few days ago, and I received a brand new cover... as far as I could tell.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Ara posted:

What's all the gross white gunk all over the front of it? Is it felt or something that gets all kinds of poo poo sticking to it?

The rubber area tends to get lint stuck to it.

LooseChanj posted:

Do they still make one for kindle 2's? I couldn't find anything on amazon.

Unfortunately not, just the 3 and I think maybe the DX.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any rumours on the Kindle 4? If it weren't against God and against nature, I'd marry my Kindle 3.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any rumours on the Kindle 4? If it weren't against God and against nature, I'd marry my Kindle 3.

Since they've just announced an advertisement-supported version of the Kindle 3, I doubt they'll be invalidating it with a Kindle 4 any time soon.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's not much that can be improved at this point. I guess they have to wait for e-ink technology to advance for color or something. Battery life is great, size/weight is great, the only thing keeping people from buying these is the high price.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Good news although none of my local libraries have ebooks (as far as I know)

quote:

Customers will be able to borrow Kindle books from over 11,000 local libraries to read on Kindle and free Kindle reading apps
Whispersyncing of notes, highlights and last page read to work for Kindle library books

(NASDAQ: AMZN)-- Amazon today announced Kindle Library Lending, a new feature launching later this year that will allow Kindle customers to borrow Kindle books from over 11,000 libraries in the United States. Kindle Library Lending will be available for all generations of Kindle devices and free Kindle reading apps.

"We're excited that millions of Kindle customers will be able to borrow Kindle books from their local libraries," said Jay Marine, Director, Amazon Kindle. "Customers tell us they love Kindle for its Pearl e-ink display that is easy to read even in bright sunlight, up to a month of battery life, and Whispersync technology that synchronizes notes, highlights and last page read between their Kindle and free Kindle apps."

Customers will be able to check out a Kindle book from their local library and start reading on any Kindle device or free Kindle app for Android, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, or Windows Phone. If a Kindle book is checked out again or that book is purchased from Amazon, all of a customer's annotations and bookmarks will be preserved.

"We're doing a little something extra here," Marine continued. "Normally, making margin notes in library books is a big no-no. But we're extending our Whispersync technology so that you can highlight and add margin notes to Kindle books you check out from your local library. Your notes will not show up when the next patron checks out the book. But if you check out the book again, or subsequently buy it, your notes will be there just as you left them, perfectly Whispersynced."

(...)

Amazon is working with OverDrive, the leading provider of digital content solutions for over 11,000 public and educational libraries in the United States, to bring a seamless library borrowing experience to Kindle customers. "We are excited to be working with Amazon to offer Kindle Library Lending to the millions of customers who read on Kindle and Kindle apps," said Steve Potash, CEO, OverDrive. "We hear librarians and patrons rave about Kindle, so we are thrilled that we can be part of bringing library books to the unparalleled experience of reading on Kindle."

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1552678&highlight=

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sporadic posted:

Good news although none of my local libraries have ebooks (as far as I know)
Yeah, it figures after I finally decide a Kobo is about the right price and would let me get library books, Amazon finally cuts a deal with Overdrive. There's some instant buyer's remorse for you.

But I guess I'll still have a better selection of other stuff available thanks to Kindle's stubborn format war.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

There's not much that can be improved at this point. I guess they have to wait for e-ink technology to advance for color or something. Battery life is great, size/weight is great, the only thing keeping people from buying these is the high price.
I love my Kindle DX and would probably spring for a 3.0 version.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

CrashCat posted:

But I guess I'll still have a better selection of other stuff available thanks to Kindle's stubborn format war.

There is no ebook format war.

All ebook formats can be easily converted between if they don't have DRM applied; essentially they're all just slightly different containers for HTML text.

DRM'ed ebooks are more tied to DRM than to formats; you can't move a iBooks ePub book onto a Nook for example.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, it figures after I finally decide a Kobo is about the right price and would let me get library books, Amazon finally cuts a deal with Overdrive. There's some instant buyer's remorse for you.

Don't get too excited yet. I'm worried about the wording of the announcement. It almost sounds like libraries will have to buy Kindle format books instead of Kindles being able to open the formats already offered by Overdrive.

There is a format war and I don't think it'll be wrapped up this quickly and nicely. Though I didn't think Amazon would ever allow library books on the Kindle, either. I still don't think they'll open all the gates.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Mobi has been around for ages longer than EPUB has, and they both offer almost exactly the same features, and are both essentially HTML, XML, and attachments like images, contained in a optionally compressed archive container.

The only "war" here is the mutually incompatible DRM schemes from each provider. If you remove that it's perfectly convertible.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

fishmech posted:

Mobi has been around for ages longer than EPUB has, and they both offer almost exactly the same features, and are both essentially HTML, XML, and attachments like images, contained in a optionally compressed archive container.

The only "war" here is the mutually incompatible DRM schemes from each provider. If you remove that it's perfectly convertible.

Except ePub is like the free open source format, so it doesn't really have any DRM? No matter how you split it, Amazon is being a bunch of tools by not swapping to EPUB, since it's basically the new standard... it's like arguing about PNGs (EPUB) vs TGAs (mobi), or plain TXT files vs WordPerfect's old retardo TXT file format that no one uses anymore. (WPT)

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Fuzz posted:

Except ePub is like the free open source format, so it doesn't really have any DRM?

What are you talking about? Nooks use DRMed EPubs.

DRM is unrelated to the format it's in.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I am sure they will mature over the next few years, but right now even major metropolitan libraries have an extremely poor selection of ebooks and most of the ones anyone would want are constantly checked out. At first I was disappointed that the kindle didn't do library loans like the nook, but I quickly discovered that private lending sites vastly eclipse libraries in their selection and wait times.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

fishmech posted:

Agreed. It reminds me of AAC/MP3. Amazon is in the same position as Apple. They never have to change because they are the top of the pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Doctor Meat posted:

I am sure they will mature over the next few years, but right now even major metropolitan libraries have an extremely poor selection of ebooks and most of the ones anyone would want are constantly checked out.

No, don't expect it to get better. Expect it to get worse.

Since the publishers are now renegotiating their licenses with libraries to limit the number of total lends per eBook (to mimic real wear and tear of course!) combined with the general lack of funds to run things like libraries, I would expect ebooks to start to be phased out of lending.