Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's actually what made me turn it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Suben posted:

I give it credit for sounding distinct unlike every other TNA theme I've heard which is just nothing but indistinct guitar noodling where the entire song blends together and nothing about anyone's theme stands out.

TNA has had a few great distinctive themes in my opinion. These are few and far between though, the large majority is just random guitar riffs and general noise like you say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ1P3qSNe8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWkVWA3Y-a0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ8jXl2Qf2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq-D-lqI3Jk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzMho-6GZsI

Also, correct me if I'm wrong I believe the theme was made for RVD even before he got into TNA and was using it in the indies until he got called up. There is no excuse for TNA still using it mind you.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Pope's music is the best in the business.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know why Jericho was picked to become the first undisputed champion? Because everything I've read seems to point out that Vince has never been very fond of Chris.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Trollologist posted:

Does anyone know why Jericho was picked to become the first undisputed champion? Because everything I've read seems to point out that Vince has never been very fond of Chris.

Both Austin and the Rock went to Vince telling him he should give Jericho the chance.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Trollologist posted:

Chris has always gotten stuff by having other wrestlers and friends on the booking team respect him. From reading his book, you get the impression that he doesn't really care for Vince.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There's a lot of ballyhoo with fans about how much/little Vince likes Jericho. In his first book, Jericho makes it pretty clear that Vince wanted him in the WWF and went out of his way to get him.

Quite frankly he wouldn't have gotten the position he had from the get-go in the company if Vince didn't like him.

Jericho doesn't particularly care about wins/losses or looking strong all the time (because he knows it doesn't do much to his overall popularity) and I think people confuse this with "Vince hates Jericho." Jericho has always received good promotion within the company and been given plenty of main event slots.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Chris has always gotten stuff by having other wrestlers and friends on the booking team respect him. From reading his book, you get the impression that he doesn't really care for Vince.

Jericho loves Vince.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Jericho has always received good promotion within the company and been given plenty of main event slots.

I think people get confused by it because Jericho doesn't seem to play a lot of politics. Guys who don't play politics will sometimes be told to do a midcard story or something lesser than they should be doing at a certain point in their career and they will be cool with it instead of fighting for more. I sometimes have a feeling Jericho preferred to be in the midcard because he had a lot more power and control over what he did instead of having to carry the weight of the company on his shoulders or fight politically for time and influence.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

MassRayPer posted:

Jericho loves Vince.

No, you're right, I'm putting it the wrong way. Their relationship is positive, but complicated, because it seems Vince doesn't have much faith in him at certain points.

There's a lot of ballyhoo with fans about how much/little Vince likes Jericho. In his first book, Jericho makes it pretty clear that Vince wanted him in the WWF and went out of his way to get him.

Quite frankly he wouldn't have gotten the position he had from the get-go in the company if Vince didn't like him.

Jericho doesn't particularly care about wins/losses or looking strong all the time (because he knows it doesn't do much to his overall popularity) and I think people confuse this with "Vince hates Jericho." Jericho has always received good promotion within the company and been given plenty of main event slots.

Jericho states in his second book that he mostly got his position because Russo liked his mid-level heel stuff in WCW. When Russo left, he had to work to sell Vince on himself and do other stuff.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Vince doesn't really respect Jericho because he's small and Jericho praises Vince because he's either not trying to burn a bridge or dumb

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Captain Charisma posted:

Vince doesn't really respect Jericho because he's small and Jericho praises Vince because he's either not trying to burn a bridge or dumb

He's a devout Christian, pretty conservative and thinks Fozzy is a good band. I'm leaning towards dumb.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

El Duke posted:

He's a devout Christian, pretty conservative and thinks Fozzy is a good band. I'm leaning towards dumb.
To be fair, Fozzy is his band. Most people have trouble telling when something they make stinks.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 7, 2011

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

El Duke posted:

1. Everybody needs a purpose. I'd rather him be a Christian than a mess.
2. Being a conservative wrestler is like being a Texan who loves football.
3. As already stated, the dude's not going to dislike his own stuff.

He's sounded fairly intelligent in all of his interviews and books, so I think he's just not wanting to burn the bridge toward the some of the best money he's ever made.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

1. Everybody needs a purpose. I'd rather him be a Christian than a mess.
2. Being a conservative wrestler is like being a Texan who loves football.
3. As already stated, the dude's not going to dislike his own stuff.

He's sounded fairly intelligent in all of his interviews and books, so I think he's just not wanting to burn the bridge toward the some of the best money he's ever made.

1. These aren't the only options. Considering things he's tweeted in regards to his belief, he's not taking his belief lightly, in that he believes in an active and reactive theology of God. This means it also will play a part in his decision making and judgments, which causes more problems.
2. Being a stupid wrestler is also this common.
3. Dude doesn't have to dislike his own stuff, but it doesn't help his case. It's not like everyone ignores when something they do sucks and just keeps doing it. That was the "joke" part of my point, though, and hence why it came at the end. I'm not actually expecting him to hate Fozzy.

He doesn't sound "fairly intelligent," he just sounds like a guy who has a couple of years of college under his belt, which until recently you didn't often get out of wrestlers. So several years ago, it was a breath of fresh air and almost a weird revelation to have a guy that didn't sound like a moron in interviews and knew how to handle himself with media. It's becoming a lot more common now, though.

Edit: I should say I don't think Jericho is stupid, in that I think he's a moron or something. I just think he's stupid enough to actually like Vince a lot.

El Duke Silver fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 8, 2011

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I realize we are at the high water mark on WWE hate on this forum and only getting higher, but being a devout Christian doesn't make you stupid. I mean do we really have to be all GBS about it?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Quick Chikara question:

I recall watching an event that featured a Heel Mike Quackenbush, and I remember him coming down the ring with 10 belts, 4 on each side and wearing a couple of them. Does anyone know which event this was?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

I realize we are at the high water mark on WWE hate on this forum and only getting higher, but being a devout Christian doesn't make you stupid. I mean do we really have to be all GBS about it?

Again, not saying he's a moron. But when you say things like, "God caused the Tsunami in Japan," it's pretty dumb and reflects on how your belief system affects your life.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

El Duke posted:

Again, not saying he's a moron. But when you say things like, "God caused the Tsunami in Japan," it's pretty dumb and reflects on how your belief system affects your life.

Oh, for gently caress's sake, not this poo poo again.

He didn't say "God caused the tsunami in Japan." He said something along the lines of "an event like this just reminds you who's really in charge." That is, as much as we like to think we're in control of our existences on this pathetic rock, ultimately we're still at the mercy of nature (or, as they say in even insurance documents, "Acts of God").

He didn't say, "Boy, I guess God felt like killing a whole bunch of Japanese people today. Welp, sucks for them."

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Timby posted:

Oh, for gently caress's sake, not this poo poo again.

He didn't say "God caused the tsunami in Japan." He said something along the lines of "an event like this just reminds you who's really in charge." That is, as much as we like to think we're in control of our existences on this pathetic rock, ultimately we're still at the mercy of nature (or, as they say in even insurance documents, "Acts of God").

He didn't say, "Boy, I guess God felt like killing a whole bunch of Japanese people today. Welp, sucks for them."

No, but it advocates an active/intervening God theology. That's my point. Also, this is going to go nowhere good, so I'm gonna drop it now. Can't we all at least agree Fozzy sucks?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Eh, Fozzy's okay.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Lloyd Boner posted:

Eh, Fozzy's okay.

oh goddammit!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fozzy huffs dong. I really dig Jericho and all he's done in wrestling and television, but, Christ, not only is he an awful singer, but he fronts a terrible band.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Timby posted:

Fozzy huffs dong. I really dig Jericho and all he's done in wrestling and television, but, Christ, not only is he an awful singer, but he fronts a terrible band.

It was fine when they were some goofy side project cover band, that none of them took seriously and was just all for a laugh, but now they think they're a serious, actually good band. The way people talk them up on the Jericho DVD is just :psyduck:.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They're nothing I'd listen to but they seem to be right in line with the metal that the WWE thinks their audience is down with. Who knows, maybe they are. Different strokes.

Then again I'm a minority from Canada so what do I know what good metal sounds like.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Timby posted:

According to his book, it's a great band!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I confess, since Fozzy got brought up in this discussion I thought you were talking about the Muppet. I assumed he and Chris were simpatico.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

El Duke posted:

It was fine when they were some goofy side project cover band, that none of them took seriously and was just all for a laugh, but now they think they're a serious, actually good band. The way people talk them up on the Jericho DVD is just :psyduck:.

Yeah, Fozzy's the kind of gimmick band you expect to see playing a 9 p.m. - 1 a.m. show of party rock / metal covers at your local bar. The idea that they're actually a driving force in current-era metal boggles my mind, and the music chapters of Undisputed were easily the worst. I get that Jericho really loves music (though his love of Mike Portnoy over Neil Peart as a drummer makes me :argh:), but at some point you just have to accept what you're good at.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay, I confess, since Fozzy got brought up in this discussion I thought you were talking about the Muppet. I assumed he and Chris were simpatico.

Do not besmirch the good name of Fozzie Bear in that way. :colbert:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The stories of Fozzy being some real life Spinal Tap where funny but that was it

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Fozzy were alright when they first started and were jokey. Then they got "serious", started making butt-rock, and they poo poo up the place. I did however enjoy almost all of the Fozzy chapters in the 2nd book. Hell, the Mr. Crowley story was worth the price of the book alone.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Don't gently caress with Fozzy...

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Timby posted:

Yeah, Fozzy's the kind of gimmick band you expect to see playing a 9 p.m. - 1 a.m. show of party rock / metal covers at your local bar. The idea that they're actually a driving force in current-era metal boggles my mind, and the music chapters of Undisputed were easily the worst. I get that Jericho really loves music (though his love of Mike Portnoy over Neil Peart as a drummer makes me :argh:), but at some point you just have to accept what you're good at.

Just to defend metal, they are not a driving force in current-era metal in any way.

But props to Jericho, I'd be a rock star if I could get away with it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
As an almost-20-year-long heavy metal fan whose tastes include stuff all over the place within the genre (and outside the genre! omg so eclectic), I felt like I was in a fairly good position to judge Fozzy somewhat fairly.

I decided to check YouTube for their breakthrough single "Martyr No More" from last year, which was apparently the Royal Rumble theme.

(I knew there was trouble upon seeing this in the comments section:

Apart bands like Green Day, this one of the only bands keeping rock alive!!
AussieGreenDayFan)

Still, I listened to it, did not really hate it, and felt enlightened. It says a lot (to me) that the Stuck Mojo guitarist is a regular member of the band and the guy from Annihilator(!) did a special guest guitar solo--that pretty much tells me what I need to know, that they are a very competent rock/metal band with a firm eye on the amazing realm of less-popular metal but no real aspirations to go there.

And, I think they succeed. This is a fine song, but it also just sounds like someone took bits and pieces of Overkill's album "I Hear Black" and hired a more conventional singer. I mean, am I the only one who instantly hears "Spiritual Void" when the song starts? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emQaVGEbYak

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I don't know how anyone could read Jericho's last book and think he's not a moron.

Or still think he's funny.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Don't gently caress with Fozzy...

Good grief the comedian's a bear!
No he's not, he's wearing a necktie!

Hot Body Spray
Feb 9, 2006

You wanker.

Drewjitsu posted:

Quick Chikara question:

I recall watching an event that featured a Heel Mike Quackenbush, and I remember him coming down the ring with 10 belts, 4 on each side and wearing a couple of them. Does anyone know which event this was?

The only heel Quack I remember is vs Tiger Mask IV when he took his mask off. But I don't think that happened in Chikara.

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000

elf help book posted:

I don't know how anyone could read Jericho's last book and think he's not a moron.

Or still think he's funny.

not froot man, not froot at all...

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dolph's freefall down the card got me thinking, are there any other examples of a guy going from "top title contender" to "already in the ring..." in 2-3 months?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Tonfa posted:

Dolph's freefall down the card got me thinking, are there any other examples of a guy going from "top title contender" to "already in the ring..." in 2-3 months?

Jack Swagger won the title by cashing in the money in the bank briefcase, had a pretty spectacular losing streak as World Champion in non-title matches, fell back down the card after losing the title (I don't know if he won even one match as World Champion) and has just now started making his way back up again by being involved in lovely Michael Cole matches. That probably counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I laughed in Breaking the Code when Edge and Christian were talking about how great Fozzy were, because it's exactly what someone who spent a decade and more around the crappy alternative rock WWE uses constantly for their songs and video packages would think was good metal.

As a music snob this made me very happy.

I mean no ill will towards them as a metal fan, it's just that they're really bad and I have no idea how they have any fans. They're not extreme enough for extreme metal fans, they're not traditional enough for pure metal fans and they're not angsty enough for nu-metal fans. I guess it makes perfect sense that they're fans are twenty to thirty something radio listeners who just like aggressive sounding riffing.

Like someone else said, they're pretty much like any band of older white bread accountants who play radio covers at your local bar for patrons who like music as background noise. If they didn't have a couple of famous faces within their ranks they wouldn't be playing gigs because they wouldn't be good enough to be offered the types of gigs people of that stature in the entertainment industry consider worth playing.

Fozzy is basically the vanilla midget of the metal world.

I don't think Jericho is an idiot though, he's at least above average intelligence but this is probably some what over stated by fans at times.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 8, 2011