Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

I understand what you mean, but I wasn't implying that a game had to be specifically designed so it is readily possible to pass any situation without taking damage. Rather I meant that no situation should be specifically designed such that damage is literally unavoidable (have to pass through a gas chamber, etc.)
OK, I agree with this. Recently I played Price of Persia: The Sands of Time for the first time (it was so much worse than I expected) and there was one part where I swear to god the game required you to take some fall damage from a big jump you had to make, and naturally I had like 1% health at that point. UGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Jarate posted:

Saw the PC Gamer magazine in stores yesterday with its review. Read it. Pre-ordered instantly. I'm still sort of cautiously optimistic, and I am getting this on Xbox 360, but I like to think I've made the best choice I can for a man in my position.

Never, ever feel shame for playing the console version of anything. You've made the choice to game, not to fiddle endlessly.

Tecman posted:

One of the working girls tells you that another girl has been kidnapped by the owners as they want the girls to get augments to bring in more money from customers. The kidnapped girl refused augments in the past, and her friend fears that the owners will augment the girl against her wishes. After accepting the mission, our time with the game was over. The PR rep — Hi, Matt! — herded us out of the office to get ready for dinner. The good news is that we're walking away with a retail copy of Human Revolution, so we can schedule more time with the working girl next week.

What are the sex-augs?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Dammit, I can't seem to find that Adam Jensen Play Arts Kai figure anywhere online for less than 50 dollars. Japan why isn't your currency as poo poo as ours anymore.

Jenova Project posted:

Never, ever feel shame for playing the console version of anything. You've made the choice to game, not to fiddle endlessly.

B-but the mods :ohdear:

Gadaffi Duck
Jan 1, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Jenova Project posted:

gently caress you, console gaming peasa-

*bluescreens* :v:

gently caress having a defective stick of RAM

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It says on the checkout that it's "Direct Download via Impulse." I think I'll just save $5 and order it straight from Steam.
Not trying to be a shill for Impulse, but it's a Steamworks game, so it has to be run through Steam. It's the same for the retail copies. I'm pretty sure the only way for them to have that work is to give you a key that's usable with Steam. They might provide an installer download through Impulse, though.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Jenova Project posted:

Yeah I'm mainly a PC gamer and you're right, I haven't been able to actually game in 22 years. I've got all these games on Steam but every time I try to run one I end up inserting and removing RAM for hours.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Jenova Project posted:

Yeah, this. Honestly, I'd rather play the game on my PC what with the emails to read, the inventory tetris, and the first person shooting. CanIRunIt says I meet the minimums if not the recommendeds. Still, I really don't feel like screwing around with my system again, so I pre-ordered the PS3 version. Maybe I'll pick up the PC version down the road one day once it goes on sale on Steam.

Also trophies. Delicious trophies. You validate the life I'm wasting in front of the PlayStation. :ohdear:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vertigus posted:

Yeah I'm mainly a PC gamer and you're right, I haven't been able to actually game in 22 years. I've got all these games on Steam but every time I try to run one I end up inserting and removing RAM for hours.

You've got games? I'm out of money what with me having to upgrade my graphics card every three weeks.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

You've got games? I'm out of money what with me having to upgrade my graphics card every three weeks.

Graphics card? With all the proprietary loving physics cards I have to juggle for every game I can't even afford to think about upgrading my graphics card.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

:) All I know is, I'll be playing Deus Ex 3 soon. Period. I haven't been this excited for a game in years and years.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Deus Ex Facebook page updated again with comic page 3 of the first issue. Only about 3000 more likes until the final unlock for Phase 1, who knows what comes after that.

Tapatio
Aug 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl
You "kill" Lawrence Barrett in the leak but I'm not sure that he is actually dead. Apparently the fluff say he got his nasty scars from something else, but I am suspicious that he might come back later in the game with a newly scarred up face. I think this because the cinematic trailer features him in some segments that are not in the leak. Did anyone else notice this? Do you think he's dead?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Tapatio posted:

You "kill" Lawrence Barrett in the leak but I'm not sure that he is actually dead. Apparently the fluff say he got his nasty scars from something else, but I am suspicious that he might come back later in the game with a newly scarred up face. I think this because the cinematic trailer features him in some segments that are not in the leak. Did anyone else notice this? Do you think he's dead?

If I remember correctly, he was originally a boss in Hengsha but got moved to the FEMA base. So those cinematics might be from an earlier point in the development process. As for whether he actually will show up again, dunno, I hope not, because I'd at least like some variety in my dumb boss battles.

Tapatio
Aug 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Pretentious Turtle posted:

If I remember correctly, he was originally a boss in Hengsha but got moved to the FEMA base. So those cinematics might be from an earlier point in the development process. As for whether he actually will show up again, dunno, I hope not, because I'd at least like some variety in my dumb boss battles.

I hope he shows up again because he is such a loving bad rear end (although maybe not in a boss battle).

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Jenova Project posted:

:jerkbag:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Getting rid of that poo poo is the one and only good thing about consoles being such a big deal now. I love being able to go four years without an upgrade.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Don't worry, you can fix it by opening up the case, taking off the heat sink, and reapplying the thermal paste.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Grand Fromage posted:

Getting rid of that poo poo is the one and only good thing about consoles being such a big deal now. I love being able to go four years without an upgrade.

Anyone who upgrades faster than every 4 years is a fool, and computers are great for gaming. This whole PC vs Console soldier bullshit barely made sense when the current gen of consoles were new, and I'm definitely not going to watch it repeat itself now.

Enough PC vs Console. Next post about it eats a probation. Bam!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zoolooman posted:

This whole PC vs Console soldier bullshit barely made sense when the current gen of consoles were new, and I'm definitely not going to watch it repeat itself now.

Seems like you could say that... you never asked for this.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Okay, which is the superior platform? George Foreman Grill, or the Slap Chop?

Debate, angrily.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Just FYI the leak plays like utter poo poo on a gamepad.

Edit: I assume the XBox/PS3 versions will have some kind of tweaked UI to make it more comfortable but if you're one of the weird ones who play PC games with a 360 controller, in this case just use the mouse and keyboard.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 12, 2011

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Debate, angrily.

Jack LeLane Juicer :colbert:

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Aw, you guys. I feel just like one of the gang now!

Seriously though what are the HookerAugs that cyborgs of the evening get? Does anyone know?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Doom Goon posted:

Deus Ex Facebook page updated again with comic page 3 of the first issue. Only about 3000 more likes until the final unlock for Phase 1, who knows what comes after that.

The game comes out in like...12 days. How the hell are they going to get through 3 more phases when it's taken like 5 months just to get this far?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Doom Goon posted:

Did they ever give out the QR Code rewards for Facebook? They got past 1 million points a long time ago but I never got that code for the VTOL avatar thing.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Debate, angrily.
Magic Bullet, bitch.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The game comes out in like...12 days. How the hell are they going to get through 3 more phases when it's taken like 5 months just to get this far?
I have no idea, but really I don't think it matters; it is not like the unlocks we have seen needed to be out before release or anything like that. I kind of assumed (maybe someone in charge mentioned it?) the other phases would be different than the current system of unlocking. It is pretty eerie how close to release Phase 1 will be finished so I wonder if it was designed that way (by trend) or if the numbers are fudged or something.

Policenaut posted:

Did they ever give out the QR Code rewards for Facebook? They got past 1 million points a long time ago but I never got that code for the VTOL avatar thing.
I'd guess it hasn't done anything to let more people sign up before the August 23rd date. There PR seems to be fairly good so send them an email or post a message on the forums if you're that worried about it.

Speaking of the QR codes, if you followed the forum post you'd know that apparently there is a Tumblr that has all (21) of the QR codes listed. I was planning on doing something similar myself, here, but they became harder to find (I'd hear so and so was released but was missing a ton myself). Didn't seem to catch on anywhere, either. The only reason I was interested in it personally is because the QR code translates to links of flavor text which I thought was interesting; the first QR code, for instance, translates to http://www.sarifindustries.com/en/qr/0451 (don't bother visiting; before the standard info page it used to load nothing with a standard PC browser). You can see them all on the Tumblr.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Jack LeLane

Now there's a man that would have shown you don't need Augmentation, just more juice!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

PaybackJack posted:

Now there's a man that would have shown you don't need Augmentation, just more juice!

I think we just discovered who the real Subject Zero is.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Big Juice has more power than the government.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Magic Bullet, bitch.

In the future, chefs and waiters will have cybernetic modifications like that put into their bodies. Juliene fries with your fingers! Concealed salad shooter in the right forearm! Pepper mill in the left butt cheek. Just say "when", sweetheart. :cool:

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I haven't played the leak, nor have I followed too much of the gameplay trailers, but are we absolutely sure this isn't another Invisible War? With the few videos I've been watching since yesterday, everything feels very cramped in terms of what you explore. It's giving me Invisible War vibes with its two streets and a loading screen into a small club.

But everyone's played the leak and loves it, the reviews love it... So I'm just needlessly over thinking it. Right?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

While I think detroit is kind of small, it's not like, FEAR small. Nor is it Just Cause 2 large. I don't think it'd ever be possible for that. However, I do think it's about as large as DX was for levels.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Jarate posted:

But everyone's played the leak and loves it, the reviews love it... So I'm just needlessly over thinking it. Right?

That's right. Maps are large and open. Not necessarily DX1 large/open, but definitely up there. The sense of cramp you get is intentional. The art director specifically pushed for tons of clutter, so maps visually feel smaller, but they are plenty expansive.

The game definitely has some rough edges. It isn't perfect, but neither was DX1. You are absolutely worrying needlessly.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Jarate posted:

I haven't played the leak, nor have I followed too much of the gameplay trailers, but are we absolutely sure this isn't another Invisible War? With the few videos I've been watching since yesterday, everything feels very cramped in terms of what you explore. It's giving me Invisible War vibes with its two streets and a loading screen into a small club.

Yes. The game is fun as hell and you have tortured yourself by not playing the leak.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dillweed posted:

Not trying to be a shill for Impulse, but it's a Steamworks game, so it has to be run through Steam. It's the same for the retail copies. I'm pretty sure the only way for them to have that work is to give you a key that's usable with Steam. They might provide an installer download through Impulse, though.

I guess for me it comes down to whether or not $5 is worth an extra game and that DLC. Although at this point I might just buy it for the console and get the extra DLC from Gamestop anyway.

Game store indecision ITT.

EDIT: Not a console vs. PC debate. Have both, love both, only advantage my PC has over my console is that my wife doesn't get irked when I'm playing PC games during America's Next Top Model.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 12, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Jarate posted:

Yes. I was constantly checking the map because I got lost (in fairness, I suck at orienteering) and I got a ton of mileage out of both my sniper rifles.

If you're going to lose sleep over it, just play the leak. If your computer sucks, play the leak at 640x480 minimum detail just in order to get through the tutorial/prologue and see the layout of Sarif Industries and Detroit.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do you prefer to punch men, or hookers?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
More questions have been answered ( http://eidosmontreal.tumblr.com/ ):

- Since you said Jensen fears water, will that come up as part of his backstory? Like his shower doesn't work and he cleans himself another way? But wait, Jensen clearly is seen in the shower in the comics (pretty graphic at that too). So was that a fluke on the comic writers or Jensen's use of his femme fatale to get over his fears?
Frank says:
“Adam doesn’t have any problem showering. What he’s afraid of is sinking to the bottom of the sea because of all the metal he’s got stuck to his body. The rebreather aug can only help you for so long…”

- Deus Ex had many modern day conspiracies. Is there any modern day conspiracies in Deus Ex Human Revolution?
Frank says:
“A few. I notice the question doesn’t ask what they are… What a shame! :)

- What idea for HR looked amazing on paper, but simply did not work in the game? and what was it that didn't work?
Frank says:
“But there are so many!

Some dialogs were supposed to feature objects hidden in the background that you could find and analyze in order to unlock blackmail attacks that you could use to convince people to give you stuff. Unfortunately, you had to do this while the character was talking to you, so you had to concentrate on 2 things at once, which meant nobody was listening to what characters had to say.

The hacking was also supposed to be much more complicated than it is right now. Before accessing a device, you had to scan it for active ports. Some ports were slower but less protected, so you had to choose the best one for what you were attempting (whether you wanted to control or download something). Then you had to assign CPU cycles to various attack and defense programs while the system was trying to trace you. Anyway, we had it working in Excel and did three revisions before it was canned for the current node-centric system. People just didn’t get it.”

- Alright, I've got a very important question for you guys. Is Adam a boxer or breifs kinda guy?
Frank says:
“Boxers. And why wasn’t ‘commando’ an option?”

- Are you tempted to go post mortem on the game before it's released?
Frank says:
“Already done. It’s standard procedure for all team members (at least it was for designers) to produce a postmortem. These are usually included in the ‘closing kit’, which is a reference for the future.

Now are we going to produce a published postmortem? I don’t know. Someone would have to take the lead and actually distill all the information into the accepted format of 5 pros and 5 cons. I doubt it would come out before the release of the game.”

- Would the stealth system differ from the previous games, and if so, how?
Frank says:
Yes it does.

Our main complaint with DX1’s stealth was the lack of feedback. We personally found it hard to know when we were hidden and when we weren’t. To the point of frustration sometimes. (yeah yeah, I’m criticizing DX1. But bear with me…) That’s why we decided to go with a detection system based on line-of-sight, rather than light and shadows. To us it felt easier to read, especially when combined with a cover system.

We read on the forums that some people felt we were dumbing down and consolizing the game. Our perspective was that we were actually empowering players, by giving them better information and better tools to use stealth. You be the judge.”

edit: Deus Ex: Human Revolution LiveStream Tomorrow Today (thanks to evilmiera for this one :) )
Want to win a free copy of the game? Tweet us for a chance!
( http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1187556p1.html )

Deus Ex: Human Revolution looks crazy. Gonzo mechanically-augmented cyborg shootery, high-tech espionage and intrigue, all lovingly dipped in gold, like Angelina Jolie in Bewulf. But with guns. And no Angelina Jolie. To celebrate, we're treating you to a live developer demo with designer Antoine Thisdale tomorrow today, August 12, at 2:30pm PST, and we'll be looking for questions from you! You can tweet questions starting tomorrow today to @IGN with #DeusEx before we go live.

THE BEST PART??? If we read your question on air, we will send you a copy of the game. BOOM! There. I said it.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Tecman posted:

- Deus Ex had many modern day conspiracies. Is there any modern day conspiracies in Deus Ex Human Revolution?
Frank says:
“A few. I notice the question doesn’t ask what they are… What a shame! :)
I'm looking forward to the levels in Kenya and the military's Anti-Skyscraper Missile Testing Facility.

I thought DX1's stealth WAS based on line-of-sight and it was DX2 that was shadow-based?

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 12, 2011

• Locked thread