Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Leyburn posted:

God bless independent game stores that break street dates.

So I'm confused on the tutorial already. Left Stick + R1 = Kick?

Edit: Ahh got the hang of it. You just need to press them at the same time. I'm addicted to this heavy jumping attack. Started as a Bandit and this Battle Axe is ace.

Are there known places in NYC you guys go that do this? I have been purchasing games for like... 20 years and never once succesfully found a store that will satisfy my need for instant gratification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

http://goo.gl/LBDvQ

Help me fill my soul (bar) with light

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Monster Mash posted:

http://goo.gl/LBDvQ

Help me fill my soul (bar) with light

I can't believe you misquoted that line when the original even has 'dark soul' in it.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Wow, the second boss the bell gargoyle, goes from being trivially easy to almost impossible to get near once the second one turns up.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
So what all is humanity good for? Lets you get back to human form, lets you make your bonfires stronger? What does kindling the bonfires do? And what is the main benefit of being in human form other than being able to summon/be invaded?

Clicky: http://goo.gl/KttbO

Also does anyone have the hardcover guide yet? I've got it coming but it won't get here until like a week after I get the game. If anyone has it, is it worth it? I'm mostly looking for a reference for some of the main game mechanics, upgrades, equipment/item lists, that kind of thing. I won't be using it for maps/bosses and stuff until at least my second playthrough.

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 1, 2011

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Kindling a bonfire lets you spawn from that bonfire with more flasks. Being a host for summons is the main benefit, and having more humanity/being in human form increases the rate of item drops from everything. Also, NPCs react to you differently when you're fully fleshed out - some of the more pious "good guy" looking dudes won't wanna associate with a zombified husk. I think it also increases your Curse Resist, which is nicer than it might sound at first. Also, whenever you do anything in human form, you look better doing it.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Well hell that last point is all I needed to know.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
To all you fucks that managed to get a hold of the game early :argh:

That said, it's around the corner and I can wait 3 more days.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I never seem to be short of humanity, even though I've kindled both bonfires so far. I found an item that said it would boost my Estus Flask, but when I used it, it seemed to give me an additional 5 humanity instead, now sure what happened there.

It also just froze for the third time in as many hours. It's like New Vegas all over again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Leyburn posted:

I never seem to be short of humanity, even though I've kindled both bonfires so far. I found an item that said it would boost my Estus Flask, but when I used it, it seemed to give me an additional 5 humanity instead, now sure what happened there.

It also just froze for the third time in as many hours. It's like New Vegas all over again.
That kinda sucks. Well, at least in the case of DS it autosaves with immense fervor, so not like you lose anything but time vOv

I NEED SCISSORS
Dec 6, 2004

Ask me about "probable reason" or whatever you call that thing.
Any of you guys who picked up the game early in New York? I've called around a bunch of places and can't seem to find anyone willing to break the street date. :iiam:

I want to die ASAP.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Any advice for someone new to the franchise? I'm planning on picking this up on tuesday, and I wanted to make a mage-type character but all the demon souls videos I see say it's difficult to start that way. Considering it'll be my first play maybe I should try something easier. Any suggestions?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nigulus Rex posted:

Any advice for someone new to the franchise? I'm planning on picking this up on tuesday, and I wanted to make a mage-type character but all the demon souls videos I see say it's difficult to start that way. Considering it'll be my first play maybe I should try something easier. Any suggestions?

No class will be easy in the beginning -- hell, in at least the first half of the game. It is a hard game through and through (maybe not all THAT hard to Demon's Souls veterans, though.) You are meant to die a lot, so don't get discouraged. If you like casters in other games and want to play a caster, by all means go for it! For posterity, casters were super easy mode in Demon's Souls. From Software acknowledged this, and made them a little more balanced with everyone else in Dark Souls.

Don't min-max your first character (meaning don't fuss over what attributes you're leveling up,) and just go with the flow. If you get into the game enough to beat it, you'll almost definitely want to play through it again, perhaps with an all-new character. Then you can abandon your rookie card and say to yourself, alright, putting all those points into attribute X was stupid, instead I'll put them into...

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 1, 2011

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Nigulus Rex posted:

It's as difficult as anything else. It really depends on what you feel comfortable playing, or what you think you'd feel comfortable playing. A Mage character in light armour/clothing can roll and run circles around opponents while pelting them with powerful spells, but a decent hit or two will kill them.

Whereas a Knight will be able to withstand more punishment from the outset, and blocking is naturally a lot easier to time than dodging and parrying, but if you're not good at fighting in close quarters and positioning yourself with your limited movement and speed you'll be just as dead when you get out-stepped and cut down.

The division between classes isn't that one is 'easier' than the other, it's that one is easier to play certain styles of combat with than the others.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

I NEED SCISSORS posted:

Any of you guys who picked up the game early in New York? I've called around a bunch of places and can't seem to find anyone willing to break the street date. :iiam:

I want to die ASAP.

I too, am interested in this info.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

No luck in south-east PA either. This is lame. I've got a preorder waiting for me on Tuesday but I want to get killed over the weekend, not after work!

As for upping stats, does leveling up say, Endurance, make every other stat cost more souls to increase or would it only increase the cost for the next level of Endurance?

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

hcenvirons posted:

No luck in south-east PA either. This is lame. I've got a preorder waiting for me on Tuesday but I want to get killed over the weekend, not after work!

As for upping stats, does leveling up say, Endurance, make every other stat cost more souls to increase or would it only increase the cost for the next level of Endurance?

Every time you level up (put a point in any stat) the cost to upgrading every stat is increased. It's like the Devil May Cry system of buying your upgrades.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
These ghost enemies are loving bullshit.

Has anyone else found that switching the lock-on between different targets is really hit and miss now?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nigulus Rex posted:

Go slow, expect to be ambushed, and learn to love your shield. Even if you're a mage.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Leyburn posted:

These ghost enemies are loving bullshit.

I was just watching a video where someone fought these; he killed one with his sword, slowly, carefully, then blasted off soul rays at another with his staff, then triumphantly meandered about as another floated through a wall behind him and casually gutted him.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
They've really sucked all all the fun out of the game at the moment. I might need to take a break soon, but it's hard because they're not even difficult to fight so I feel I should press on, but it is easy to get knocked off if you're unlucky, or get ambushed because they're hiding everywhere. It doesn't help that they're the only enemy here, so there's no variety.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Nigulus Rex posted:

Haven't played it yet myself but someone earlier in this thread (or the one on PA, can't remember for sure) mentioned that (minor item spoiler for the ultra purists) If you take the master key as your gift, you can open a door in the tutorial level that will give you some kind of weapon that is like the crescent weapon type from demon's souls. Crescent weapons in demon's souls scaled off your magic stat instead of str or dex to determine it's damage and also gave you increased mana regen. Not sure how much of this applies to the one in dark souls, but even if it's just the damage scaling with your casting stat it will be worth it.

fivetwo
Jun 19, 2009
Though it may have been mentioned beforehand: does the Japanese online community interact with the N/A online community? Or are they separate servers?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

fivetwo posted:

Though it may have been mentioned beforehand: does the Japanese online community interact with the N/A online community? Or are they separate servers?

Yup, they're all on the same server this time.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

I NEED SCISSORS posted:

I want to die ASAP.

Not NYC but Rochester Game Crazys seem to be breaking street date!

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Darth Windu posted:

Yup, they're all on the same server this time.

Oh god, does this mean PSN players are gonna get ganked hard on Tuesday? I assume 360 gets almost no play over in Japan.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Nechronic posted:

Oh god, does this mean PSN players are gonna get ganked hard on Tuesday? I assume 360 gets almost no play over in Japan.

The 360 version wasn't released over there I believe.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Nechronic posted:

Not me. I've been training with Demon's Souls!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm new to this, I can't wait to try this poo poo out. I don't believe I'm going to die, and I sound like a redshirt on an away team.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Nechronic posted:

Probably only a little. I do believe you only get invaded by people within 10 soul levels of you. Outside of the odd rear end in a top hat I would wager most of the playerbase is still too busy with ng+ to spend time with an SL 1 scraping spear dickbag to murder new players with.

Though I welcome them anyway, I will hit them with my club and murder them as a naked zombie! :black101:

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

If people are intending to click eachother's links, perhaps we should have a compiled list of all goons who want the clickthrough? We could click eachother's links once per day - that's worked well in the past to help everyone out.

This is pages 12-35, if someone is willing to scour the front of the thread to compile it as well. A firefox extension such as Multi Links makes selecting everyone a snap. If this could be added to the top of the thread (maybe the second post or so??) it would be easy to help everyone daily.

Sputnik fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 3, 2011

Cocks on the Rocks
Jan 5, 2011

by Duchess Gummybuns
anyone in the chicago/chicago land area find a store breaking the street date

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Found a place that broke street date in LA, am currently excited as gently caress to play this game. Anybody in the Los Angeles area looking for a place to break street date, let me know.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Can we add the following as a spoiler to the OP (or second post or whatever), it's about which gifts to choose and I got the info and modified them from some wiki:

What starting gift should I pick?

Minor spoiler:Take the pendant or the master key.

Detailed spoiler:

In my view there are basically three options and one joke option. All of the other gifts are consumables that can be purchased later in the game apart from the Witch Ring, which allows you to interact with a vendor / faction later on but which can be found later on as well.
  • The pendant. An NPC you'll meet later on will want it and you can only get it as a gift at the start of the game. This is the "enhance the plot options" choice.
  • The master key. As you play you'll find reusable keys as you go that unlock gates that mostly open up new areas. The master key replaces some of these and is also reusable so it allows you to sequence break a bit. There's also a door in the tutorial level which the master key opens that gives you a strong starting weapon -- it's the effective Crescent Falchion of Dark Souls. Note that the Thief starts with a free master key, so if you want to choose "all of the above" take a thief and pick the pendant.
  • No gift at all. This was one of the options suggested by the game's director. Why? We don't know yet. Maybe there's a reward for not taking a gift. It is :black101: though.
  • Joke option: the black firebomb. People use this to facilitate killing the tutorial boss which drops a unique weapon which requires a ton of strength to use.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 1, 2011

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

Went through and clicked through the list. I have no idea what this is supposed to accomplish, though! Mine: http://goo.gl/LRUxp :)
Amazon.co.uk says my Dark Souls LE will arrive on 7th-8th but the Post Office aren't open in Finland on Saturday, so I might be looking at waiting an extra weekend if Amazon acts tardy. :smithicide:

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Oops, Awful app mishap

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

No stores in SD breaking date? Not that LA is that long of a drive..

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
http://goo.gl/1BQI7

I am so psyched for this game. I was trying to avoid spoilers, but I broke down and watched a little of the IGN marathon. Tuesday's gonna be awesome, but too bad I have an exam on Wednesday.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Early boss... Wow, those two dogs really make this Capra Demon fight a pain in the arse. Once you're rid of them he is so easy, as long as you don't get hit by his big attack. It's just trying to survive that initial onslaught. gently caress those dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Leyburn posted:

Early boss... Wow, those two dogs really make this Capra Demon fight a pain in the arse. Once you're rid of them he is so easy, as long as you don't get hit by his big attack. It's just trying to survive that initial onslaught. gently caress those dogs.
Wait until you see the tiny, fire-breathing dogs that do three times as much damage and can attack twice as fast.

• Locked thread