Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Huge_Midget posted:

Stupid pic didn't attach.

You can clearly see the wastegate solenoid.

It looks very much like a diesel, they have the turbos there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
not the diesel- turbo on those is pretty much right on the bottom corner of the engine.

diesel:

low mount setup in the 2010+ legacy gt:

oil scavenge for the turbo is cam gear driven.

and here's what the power curve looks like on a stage 1 lgt:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What turbo is it that the Legacy GT has? That seems to taper off more violently than my TD04 though the peak is way, way higher.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also, that trubo engine pretty clearly has spots to attach coilpacks for spark plugs which the diesel wouldn't need.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
That's a VF56, no?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Now that they've released the full specs, I hope we'll see them as forza 4 DLC in the near future. My benchmark for fun is tossing an e30 m3 around the ring or laguna seca, so if it can match up to that I'll be pretty excited.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if I'm not mistaken average buyer age on the Scion xB was somewhere in the 50s.

I always figured this number was skewed by the huge number of xBs that ended up being rolling advertisements, company cars, and mini panel vans. And of course all companies are owned by people over 50.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Uh...so that mystery motor is a 1.6 direct injected turbo motor. Wonder where that's going to go? :)

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/11/2011-tokyo-auto-show-subaru-boxer-engines.html

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Uh...so that mystery motor is a 1.6 direct injected turbo motor. Wonder where that's going to go? :)

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/11/2011-tokyo-auto-show-subaru-boxer-engines.html
is it going in here?

http://i.autoblog.com/2011/11/30/subaru-advanced-tourer-concept-is-an-awesome-angry-wagon/

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Scion had their unveiling about an hour ago. It looks like the automatic temperature A/C didn't make the cut on the base model. Here's hoping that it is going to be cheap...

http://www.frs-scion.com/

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The arm-out-the-window panels are still there (not suede though,) but it looks like they ditched the ones by the speakers and around the center console.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The fine text says the numbers are preliminary and subject to change on the FRS microsite. On top of that, they posted 200hp, not 197. Worst of all though, they wouldn't cop to whatever this thing weighs. TELLLL USSSS

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

The fine text says the numbers are preliminary and subject to change on the FRS microsite. On top of that, they posted 200hp, not 197. Worst of all though, they wouldn't cop to whatever this thing weighs. TELLLL USSSS

Even if they do tell us, they could give dry weight like ferrari. It won't be long before somebody gets the drat thing on a scale and ends that question.

press release posted:

"We all know that it's not hard to make horsepower and torque, but it is hard to do all that and still achieve impressive fuel economy," Hollis said. "The FR-S accomplishes all three."

heh, too easy.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Powershift posted:

heh, too easy.

Fuel: Premium Unleaded

There's your 12.5:1.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Rabble posted:

Scion had their unveiling about an hour ago. It looks like the automatic temperature A/C didn't make the cut on the base model. Here's hoping that it is going to be cheap...

http://www.frs-scion.com/

Boo on the Scion branding, that sucks. Oh well, at least that means it's likely cheaper than I was expecting. Also, lol:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

law abiding rapist posted:

Fuel: Premium Unleaded

There's your 12.5:1.

I can't wait for people to complain about the NVH of that drat boxer motor in the car because they're running 87 to save a few bucks.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Well, the press relea says "affordable" but that is just marketing lingo. So far the only thing we can assume is that the FR-S will be cheaper than the BRZ but pricier than the tC, and that the BRZ will be about the same cost as a base model WRX (per motortrend).

So, anywhere from 21-24k. Probably more toward 21 because the BRZ has Nav, auto temperature control, fog lights, HIDs, etcetera already included.. We should also assume that a FR-S with the same options as the BRZ will be priced the same.

NAIAS can't come soon enough.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If it does come in around 21K, I think it'll be pretty successful. Not selling 200K units a year successful but still pretty good. How much were ITRs when they were new?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

hayden. posted:

Also, lol:

Oh for gently caress's sake. This is why we can't have nice things.

(they're gonna sell a million of those slushboxes)

Also I can't wait to ride with someone that insists on using the manual shift at all times but has no clue how to drive a real car.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_arti...-86fr-sbrz.aspx

Another good technical writeup on the car. A few interesting notes:

"There doesn't appear to be any camber adjustment in the MacPherson strut front suspension."
"The front calipers are two-piston sliders. These look a lot like Impreza calipers to us,"
Mystery Rear Diff
Suspension seems to be pretty much Subaru
5x100 <--- WTF

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 1, 2011

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Camber adjustment is done up in the shock towers with the sliders on MacFearsomes.

Brakes sound adequate. The car doesn't need 6 piston calipers with 15 inch rotors at 2600 pounds.

The 5x100 bolt pattern is looooolllll. Good luck getting any decent offset wheel on the car. Maybe they set it up like the S2000's wheels? +53 all day long.

Hopefully they put some Lexus rear end in vs. just going with a Subaru one.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

Camber adjustment is done up in the shock towers with the sliders on MacFearsomes.

"The top mounts (visible in the engine shot) look suspiciously like Impreza top mounts. That's just fine, since Impreza mounts are indestructable, but there's no adjustment there."

Aftermarket can take care of that; but, stock they didn't see any slots for adjustment in the typical spots.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

Is that really a complaint that you can't change the camber on a stock suspension? :psyduck:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Where is the digital clock?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

Is that really a complaint that you can't change the camber on a stock suspension? :psyduck:

It's one of those boy racer fantasies that this car is supposed to be upholding.

Elephanthead posted:

Where is the digital clock?

Still there:
http://www.speedsportlife.com/wp-content/gallery/scion-fr-s/scionfrs015.jpg
This press photo has the brake handle covering the fact that it's an auto. Noice, real noice.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Haha nice catch with the brake handle.

That interior is gonna look so ragged out in used cars in 5 years.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Well I don't see a clutch pedal in that picture, wouldn't that give it away?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

rscott posted:

Well I don't see a clutch pedal in that picture, wouldn't that give it away?

Well you can't see the brake pedal either, so it's still deceptive :colbert:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

5x100 and 2 POT calipers basically just means it's using the Impreza hubs and brakes. As mentioned, for a 2600lb car, I don't think that will be much of an issue.

We wanted them to keep cost down right? They aren't going to do that if they start bolting on pieces from a $32k car (STI).

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Except they already have a whole bunch of wheel bearings from cars that come from Toyota that have a 114.3 bolt circle, RWD even?

It's not like brake rotors/wheel bearing centers are really that difficult manufacture.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, it seems like everything mechanical on this car has been Subaru at this point.

Subaru -> Chassis, mechanicals
Toyota -> Sheetmetal, engine tuning, (possibly) interior

So, it's not surprising that they are using Impreza hubs on this car. I honestly don't see the issue with it, I don't really hear standard WRX people having problems finding wheels.

It honestly delights me as I would be able to continue my trend of having sets of wheels/tires that I can cross between all my cars.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think someone ordered 50 billion digital clocks in 1984 instead of 50 million. You should be able to order extra ones for the back seats or so you can have 8 time zones.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I hate the bearing design on the 5x100 hubs. It probably is a cost thing; but, the 5x114.3 hubs from an STI would have been nice.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
same bolt pattern as mkiv vws, finding wheels shouldn't be a problem

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

tbb9 posted:

same bolt pattern as mkiv vws, finding wheels shouldn't be a problem

Don't VWs use a low offset wheel?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Toyota put out this ridiculous video in an attempt to top Nissan's infamous techno-driven engine assembly videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pCXsFDlvns

For comparison, here's the surprisingly sedate Nissan engine assembly rave working on the Juke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz9t1u5F6Uo

I want to see one of these for a really boring car sometime, because they're awesome.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Didn't Subaru post a 26xx curb weight for the BRZ? It's not like the Scion is so totally different that it won't be close to that number.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

c355n4 posted:

It probably is a cost thing; but, the 5x114.3 hubs from an STI would have been nice.
Or from either generation IS. They could also source the torsen from that line of cars.

This thing really reminds me of a RWD Prelude. I guess by the 5th gen it had gotten a bit heavier than this but the wheelbase, power and interior dimensions are nearly identical. Obviously this car is way more dramatic, but if sales are high maybe it will encourage Honda to bring the Prelude back.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bull3964 posted:

Well, it seems like everything mechanical on this car has been Subaru at this point.

Subaru -> Chassis, mechanicals
Toyota -> Sheetmetal, engine tuning, (possibly) interior

So, it's not surprising that they are using Impreza hubs on this car. I honestly don't see the issue with it, I don't really hear standard WRX people having problems finding wheels.

It honestly delights me as I would be able to continue my trend of having sets of wheels/tires that I can cross between all my cars.

Didn't I hear that the transmission(s) were Toyota-sourced as well, or did I hallucinate that out of wishful thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

PT6A posted:

Didn't I hear that the transmission(s) were Toyota-sourced as well, or did I hallucinate that out of wishful thinking?

Yes, it's a Lexus 6-speed

• Locked thread