Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hayden. posted:

In my experience power seats have a lot more adjustability. Manual seats will go forward and back, recline, and sometimes have manual lumbar adjustment. Power seats usually go up and down vertically and can also change the angle of the seat itself.

Both my '02 and '11 WRXs have up/down manual adjustment for the driver's seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Consider an 80hp shifter cart.

to wit: ever seen a Superkart?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

hayden. posted:

In my experience power seats have a lot more adjustability. Manual seats will go forward and back, recline, and sometimes have manual lumbar adjustment. Power seats usually go up and down vertically and can also change the angle of the seat itself.

BMW manual sports seats would like to have a word with you. Off the top of my head you've got forward/back, recline, height, tilt of the enire seat and thigh support adjustment.

I assume other recaro like seats are similar. The only plus of power seats is you can get slightly more minute adjustments because it doesn't need a ratcheting mechanism.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Yea, you can even adjust the bolsters in my Toyota from 1986.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
I'm very much looking forward to more information on the Subaru pricing scheme, and very much plan on ordering a vehicle, provided I don't uncover information that would suggest an upcoming STi variant. I love this car.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TheFonz posted:

The original AE86 has that cool little hand pump for the seats. :downs:

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl

TheFonz posted:

Speaking of mid 80s Toyotas, the MK3 Supra has excellent power seats.

no_one
Mar 17, 2004
i'm a lying jerk
Lipstick Apathy

leyton house posted:

Speaking of mid 80s Toyotas, the MK3 Supra has excellent power seats.

Yeah but the 80's supra was a heavy car. I think a selling point of the mark IV was that it was lighter than it's predecessor. I'd take manual seats and a lighter car please.

It's a shame I'm not in any kind of position to buy a new car right now, I would take one of these in a heartbeat. Maybe in 10-15 years time if they fall down to nissan 180-200 type prices...

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl

no_one posted:

Yeah but the 80's supra was a heavy car. I think a selling point of the mark IV was that it was lighter than it's predecessor. I'd take manual seats and a lighter car please.

It's a shame I'm not in any kind of position to buy a new car right now, I would take one of these in a heartbeat. Maybe in 10-15 years time if they fall down to nissan 180-200 type prices...

But the MKIV was also pretty heavy(and had power seats?)

no_one
Mar 17, 2004
i'm a lying jerk
Lipstick Apathy

leyton house posted:

But the MKIV was also pretty heavy(and had power seats?)

Well I don't know for sure, but I guess the supra was being sold as a GT type car, so weight wasn't the be all and end all selling point like it is on the toybaru.

I think a good compromise would be to sell the base model lighter and cheaper without the power seats, but have them as a cost option for people who want them.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The perfect goon sports car has a carbon fiber tub, 9lb wheels, and 200lbs of seat motors.

Edit: also is a station wagon.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm hoping they eventually offer a model that doesn't have navigation and bluetooth and all that other bullshit I'm never gonna use. Seriously, in-car nav systems are pointless when every single smartphone offers built-in GPS nav these days.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

thealphabetsez posted:

I'm very much looking forward to more information on the Subaru pricing scheme, and very much plan on ordering a vehicle, provided I don't uncover information that would suggest an upcoming STi variant. I love this car.

You're not going to see one the first model year. So either order one or wait at least 1 year.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

You're not going to see one the first model year. So either order one or wait at least 1 year.

This. Remember, folks: the Sky/Solstice's first model year was 2006 but the Red Line/GXP didn't come out til 2008 2007.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 3, 2011

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

thealphabetsez posted:

I'm assuming you haven't been to the LA auto show, which showed a BRZ in STi livery with quad exhausts and a large spoiler.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

hayden. posted:

mine have a lot of adjustability but they're BMW's manual sport seats so i understand they're probably not representative.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Das Volk posted:

I'm assuming you haven't been to the LA auto show, which showed a BRZ in STi livery with quad exhausts and a large spoiler.

Eh, I feel like that leaned more towards outright concept than preview. I hope I'm wrong.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sockington posted:

The original AE86 has that cool little hand pump for the seats. :downs:
The seats in my old AE82 had an air bladder in the drivers seat for the lumbar. So comfortable

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

VERTiG0 posted:

Because the Genesis feels like poo poo to drive? It's a great value, sure, but it's a pig and does not feel like it has the sort of power it does. I feel it's much better at being a boulevard cruiser than a sports car.

That's the crux behind a lot of these comparisons not holding weight. The leaked specs for the GT 86/BRZ/FR-S is a base curb weight of 2667lbs. That's about 600lbs lighter than the Genesis Coupe 2.0T M, and 1000lbs lighter than the base curb weight of the Genesis Sedan. Not having to haul that extra weight makes a big difference, though most of you goons already know that/have experience with the MX-5. It's hard to find proper comparisons given what this car brings to the table, the RX-8 fits but that's headed out real soon. Kind of a in a market of its own, which might alienate buyers that ignorantly cross-shop high HP boats.

That pricing is interesting, given how much more cheap the FR-S interior is and lack of foglights, a price of $22k or less sounds very plausible against the BRZ's purported pricing. I don't know how the tC will survive in the Scion lineup with pricing for the FR-S like that, but maybe phasing it out is Toyota's intention?

By the way, stumbled upon this video (http://youtu.be/EKrh7wfwSvA) earlier of a quick run of a GT 86. While it's running with the slushbox, those are some pretty quick shifts for a slushbox. It'll be real interesting if the auto turns out to do 0-60 faster than the manual.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Isizzlehorn posted:

I don't know how the tC will survive in the Scion lineup with pricing for the FR-S like that, but maybe phasing it out is Toyota's intention?
Most non-enthusiasts prefer a FWD car, so a combination of that, the better gas mileage, more interior space and a $4k lower MSRP will probably make the tC more appealing to the average motorist.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Isizzlehorn posted:

By the way, stumbled upon this video (http://youtu.be/EKrh7wfwSvA) earlier of a quick run of a GT 86. While it's running with the slushbox, those are some pretty quick shifts for a slushbox. It'll be real interesting if the auto turns out to do 0-60 faster than the manual.

OH MY GOD THE SOUND :swoon:

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Sounds like a WRX, boxer + UEL.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Isizzlehorn posted:

I remember reading that the slush box is about 10 mph slower on the top speed, but drat if it doesn't sound great.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Isizzlehorn posted:

That sounds pretty loving mean.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Isizzlehorn posted:

Sounds pretty good. Also keep in mind there's at least 3 people in the car in that video.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
gently caress, a company in 2011 got the RIGHT amount of engine noise in the cabin. If the scion is priced as speculated and drives great, I will trade my ZHP for it. I'm already planning on saving up some cash now.

Another sound video. Note the chirp when he shifts into 2nd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJi5hhnmuRw#t=1m20s

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Crustashio posted:

Another sound video. Note the chirp when he shifts into 2nd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJi5hhnmuRw#t=1m20s

Oh my god turn the loving MUSIC OFF I WANT TO HEAR THE GOD DAMNED CAR

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Isizzlehorn posted:

It sounds like it does a throttle-blip on down-shift, which is pretty awesome. I do hope that they reprogrammed the automatic to be a little bit more aggressive though. The major complaint that I've heard about the IS350 is that the automatic is very lazy and hesitant to downshift unless you're in manual mode.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Isizzlehorn posted:

Haha, when I was at that place two years ago I only saw people driving really slowly. I had no idea you were allowed to stomp on it like that (or maybe you aren't...? ;)) Also if you look real carefully at the end there is a cool Celica rally car.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

tonedef131 posted:

Most non-enthusiasts prefer a FWD car

Why on Earth is this? The only downside I've ever hear of is winter handling and even that hasn't been a problem for me. I have my Mustang on good winter tires, and even after a snowstorm last night, I had no trouble in traffic whatsoever. I don't even put extra weight in the trunk. I spun my wheels less than the people in the lanes next to me who had FWD or AWD SUVs. I guess fuel economy is slightly worse, but I can't imagine it's more than 1-2 MPG.

I applaud Toyota for bucking the trend and getting the power to where it belongs: the rear wheels.

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I think they may drop the TC because having two small coupes seems sorta redundant.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PT6A posted:

I have my Mustang on good winter tires

You're an enthusiast. You're exerting effort. You're spending extra time thinking about your car purchase.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
packaging is an issue too. FWD = more room dedicated to the box where people sit in a similarly sized vehicle. this is more important for people who don't care about driving than anything performance-related.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax

PT6A posted:

Why on Earth is this? The only downside I've ever hear of is winter handling and even that hasn't been a problem for me. I have my Mustang on good winter tires, and even after a snowstorm last night, I had no trouble in traffic whatsoever.

Snow isn't a problem, but ice is. We get several months of conditions each year when it's slippery even on studded Nokian tyres.
I don't mind it, but I know a lot of people who are scared by the idea of a RWD car on icy roads. Newer cars are less of a problem with all the tranction control thingys, but I'd still rather send my wife on her way in a our 92 Citroen than in the BMW if I know its raining ice.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Peppi posted:

but I'd still rather send my wife on her way in a our 92 Citroen than in the BMW if I know its raining ice.

That's just because you'd rather lose the Citroen from the fleet. :rimshot:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
FWD is safer for people who have no idea how to drive properly (i.e. most people) as well. Given that if they gently caress up/go to quick/whatever round a bend their usual reaction being to lift off and/or brake, in a FWD drive car that will usually get it back in line, whereas that'll usually have you off into the scenery in RWD if you don't know what you're doing.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

kimbo305 posted:

You're an enthusiast. You're exerting effort. You're spending extra time thinking about your car purchase.

Unless you are an enthusiast driving to Hiroshima

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500202_162-57336494/luxury-cars-likely-worth-$1m-ram-each-other/

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

PT6A posted:

Why on Earth is this? The only downside I've ever hear of is winter handling and even that hasn't been a problem for me. I have my Mustang on good winter tires, and even after a snowstorm last night, I had no trouble in traffic whatsoever. I don't even put extra weight in the trunk. I spun my wheels less than the people in the lanes next to me who had FWD or AWD SUVs. I guess fuel economy is slightly worse, but I can't imagine it's more than 1-2 MPG.

I applaud Toyota for bucking the trend and getting the power to where it belongs: the rear wheels.
I personally hate working on and driving FWD cars, but they do have a few advantages. Generally they are cheaper, lighter, have less drivetrain power loss, more interior space and with the engine weight over the drive wheels you have a better chance of making it through that slush on half bald all-season touring tires. The combination of these often results in lower prices and better mileage than a comparable RWD car. Add the perceived safety advantages that still resonate in people minds from early 80s advertising and you have a car that is much more appealing to the untrained eye.

I think the Americans actually started this trend of returning to RWD around the time the new Chrysler 300 came out. Since then this whole pony car revival has shook up the market enough for Japan to take notice. I'm guessing if most people who are fearful of RWD cars drove modern examples they would appreciate how far they've come. Around the time FWD cars became the norm most of the RWD cars still around were body on frame, big engine boats with lower safety standards. It's not that they couldn't update making them safer, smaller, traction controlled and more efficient when it came time for a model refresh...they just never got around to it because FWD was the way the market had moved so all their new up to date models were built in the then chic FWD fashion.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

"Chief engineer Tetsuo Tada says that not only is a supercharged GT 86 envisaged, test cars have already been made and are being evaluated by Toyota Racing Developments."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
FWD is far cheaper to assemble. You can assemble the entire drive train on the front sub-frame along with suspension separately, then just zip it up into the chassis later on. With RWD, you have the engine/transmission, front suspension, rear suspension and drive line, all installed separately. We're never going to see a full return to RWD, unless you mean MR electric drive.

• Locked thread