Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

You mean IN A DUNGEON MATCH.

Nope due to Jarret concussion its a as Tony says a "Catch As Catch Can" match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Iskanderson posted:

His brains were too scrambled for him to realize that he needed to see a doctor, and nobody in charge of anything at WCW could recognize his symptoms so he went on being involved in things and taking bumps which exacerbated his condition. He eventually did see a doctor, who told him that he was done wrestling.

As stupid as WCW was I don't think any organization would have helped him much at that point. The mentality was to work through the pain and concussions weren't as feared as they are now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

As stupid as WCW was I don't think any organization would have helped him much at that point. The mentality was to work through the pain and concussions weren't as feared as they are now.

Also he would have come back but he then had the stroke.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

A concussion he suffered because Benoit did the headbutt off the top of a cage a few days prior, no less.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Oatgan posted:

A concussion he suffered because Benoit did the headbutt off the top of a cage a few days prior, no less.

The story as told has always been that Jarrett got the concussion from Snuka's splash.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The story as told has always been that Jarrett got the concussion from Snuka's splash.

Either way he got one from a murderer.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

TenaciousJ posted:

He would have been fine if he had not been shoved down our throats too fast. He needed a few years to cultivate more intense fan reactions before main eventing. The Jeff Jarrett MMA enthusiast and world's greatest dad we've been getting for the last few years feels a lot more natural than the Chosen One.
Yeah Jarrett is great.
I even liked the Chosen One.

But he's not great enough to justify 10 world title reigns for 1,064 days total.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Catch is a European wrestling style where holds were more important than moves, if that makes sense. Dean Malenko would be a perfect person for that match, since he knows 1000 holds. Catch also has a rule where leaving the ring is a loss, like in Sumo or the more familiar count-out.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

bobkatt013 posted:

Either way he got one from a murderer.

Dear god I lost it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Catch is a European wrestling style where holds were more important than moves, if that makes sense. Dean Malenko would be a perfect person for that match, since he knows 1000 holds. Catch also has a rule where leaving the ring is a loss, like in Sumo or the more familiar count-out.

I just hope Dean remembers the rules of the match

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Astro7x posted:

The ladder match was pretty good for its time, but by todays standards it was pretty tame. It didn't even make the most sense storyline wise at the time. Why would the nWo agree to a ladder match on a PPV where they can't use their bias ref to prevent Eddie from retaining?

Syxx does a lot drugs.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope not. It has one of the stupidest moments in WCW history, Dean Malenko v Kidman first person touches the floor.
Did Deano legitimately screw up with that one?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Iskanderson posted:

His brains were too scrambled for him to realize that he needed to see a doctor, and nobody in charge of anything at WCW could recognize his symptoms so he went on being involved in things and taking bumps which exacerbated his condition. He eventually did see a doctor, who told him that he was done wrestling.
Thanks!

Speaking of Souled Out, are we going to watch the Souled Out from 2000?
I hope so!

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

I posted:

Did Deano legitimately screw up with that one?

Yep. Dean would regularly go for a breather outside at the time and he forgot the silly stip for a moment.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Perry Normal posted:

Yep. Dean would regularly go for a breather outside at the time and he forgot the silly stip for a moment.

I think he was trying to forget he was ever in WCW at that point. Like whenever he would go out for a breather he would just magically wake up and find himself somewhere where the company appreciated his work. Only to wake up disappointed each time.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
I'd bet he got chewed out in the back which made him go ahead and ditch with Benoit/Eddie/Saturn. Perhaps it was Russo who was crying about his beautiful artistic vision of the Catch as Catch Can match and how Dean ruined this revolutionary match type forever. I can definitely see that leading to a "...Yeah, I'm done here."

I kind of think Malenko's continued employment with WWE as a road agent at least shows someone in charge appreciates his talent. He was only active for 2 years in WWF, so it's not like he's keeping his job on charity and goodwill.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

I'd bet he got chewed out in the back which made him go ahead and ditch with Benoit/Eddie/Saturn. Perhaps it was Russo who was crying about his beautiful artistic vision of the Catch as Catch Can match and how Dean ruined this revolutionary match type forever. I can definitely see that leading to a "...Yeah, I'm done here."

I kind of think Malenko's continued employment with WWE as a road agent at least shows someone in charge appreciates his talent. He was only active for 2 years in WWF, so it's not like he's keeping his job on charity and goodwill.

He is keeping it based off fear

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

bobkatt013 posted:

He is keeping it based off fear

How do you explain Finlay being future endeavoured?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Z-Magic posted:

Dean told him

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sue Denim posted:

Thanks!

I hope so!

You may be the only person with fond memories of that PPV.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Z-Magic posted:

Considering what Finlay did in SMASH, they probably did it to save themselves. :ohdear:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Russo was already sent home at the time. And Russo being demoted and replaced with Sullivan is exactly what caused Malenko, Eddie, Saturn, and Benoit to say "Yeah I'm done" and demand their releases.

I know, normally you might think probably think WCW firing Russo would be a good thing for wrestling. It's kind of odd and ironic that WCW ended up losing the 4 best workers in the company over management balking at the idea to put the title on Tank Abbott.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

his match with Scotty 2 Hotty at (I think) Backlash 2000 was loving awesome. I knew Scotty as a comedy guy with limited skills, but after that Malenko made him look like a loving world beater.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Russo was already sent home at the time. And Russo being demoted and replaced with Sullivan is exactly what caused Malenko, Eddie, Saturn, and Benoit to say "Yeah I'm done" and demand their releases.

I know, normally you might think probably think WCW firing Russo would be a good thing for wrestling. It's kind of odd and ironic that WCW ended up losing the 4 best workers in the company over management balking at the idea to put the title on Tank Abbott.
Kevin Sullivan's booking was more valued than those 4 guys.

It's unbelievable.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

his match with Scotty 2 Hotty at (I think) Backlash 2000 was loving awesome. I knew Scotty as a comedy guy with limited skills, but after that Malenko made him look like a loving world beater.
Scotty 2 Hotty was so good, though. I am not saying he was the best wrestler, but I do not remember him ever looking bad in the ring, and more than one time I recall him being part of a best thing about a Royal Rumble (courtesy of Torrent's opinions, sup bro): the year when he, Grandmasta Sexay, and Rikishi ended up the only ones in the ring and busted out the dance party, and the year that Undertaker and Kane were alone in the ring when he was the next entrant and basically walked down the aisle looking like he was walking to the electric chair.

Still, I have to acknowledge that Santino Marella may be even better at being Scotty 2 Hotty than Scotty 2 Hotty, but I have not seen nearly as much of the former's work.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It wasn't just Abbott. Russo completely tanked their buyrates, booked two of their top stars in angles that injured them severely plus booked an angle that put their new signing Jarrett out for the Souled Out PPV. Abbott was just the straw that broke the camel's back. He had to go and the booking committee headed by Sullivan was their only solution. It was idiotic to release the four guys on top of that when they easily could have said "Stop being a child murdering baby, you stole the man's wife and he's willing to give you the title, we're not releasing you."

Instead they released them.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Quarex posted:

Scotty 2 Hotty was so good, though. I am not saying he was the best wrestler, but I do not remember him ever looking bad in the ring, and more than one time I recall him being part of a best thing about a Royal Rumble (courtesy of Torrent's opinions, sup bro): the year when he, Grandmasta Sexay, and Rikishi ended up the only ones in the ring and busted out the dance party, and the year that Undertaker and Kane were alone in the ring when he was the next entrant and basically walked down the aisle looking like he was walking to the electric chair.

Still, I have to acknowledge that Santino Marella may be even better at being Scotty 2 Hotty than Scotty 2 Hotty, but I have not seen nearly as much of the former's work.

Also the thing about Scotty 2 Hotty is listen to the pops that Too Cool used to get, and then remember that nobody ever gave a gently caress about Brian Christopher.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hirams Bitch posted:

Also the thing about Scotty 2 Hotty is listen to the pops that Too Cool used to get, and then remember that nobody ever gave a gently caress about Brian Christopher.

They were also in this awesome match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM42kg3kFMI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97cd5f5Ox9k

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Hirams Bitch posted:

That is an excellent point. Somehow Brian Christopher's version of the same routine always came across as forced, whereas Scotty 2 Hotty somehow made me truly believe that he just wanted to dance, look astounded, and pound his feet.

The best evidence of this is probably the fact that Brian Christopher's big return during the Lawler/Cole feud had less crowd reaction than welcoming Mad Dog Vachon into the WWE Hall of Fame. Why did I just pick that example?

Seriously though, bring back Scotty 2 Hotty. I know you are reading this thread, Vince.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Brian Christopher's return was absolutely amazing. His furious dancing had him gassed before he even hit the ring.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Oatgan posted:

Brian Christopher's return was absolutely amazing. His furious dancing had him gassed before he even hit the ring.

I liked how much of a total douchebag he was. Christopher was always great at playing a complete maniacal douchebag and this never got used to its full advantage in the WWE because he was in such a popular midcard tag team. I'm not saying he could have been a big star but the guy was easier to hate than Heath Slater in Memphis.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lone Rogue posted:

I liked how much of a total douchebag he was. Christopher was always great at playing a complete maniacal douchebag and this never got used to its full advantage in the WWE because he was in such a popular midcard tag team. I'm not saying he could have been a big star but the guy was easier to hate than Heath Slater in Memphis.

Having met Brian many times as a kid going to Saturday morning studio wrestling I can say confidently that he was not 'playing' a douchebag at all. He was one of the worst about talking to the kids or doing autographs after the shows.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
The only good thing about Brian Christopher's career was every time JR had to say "Grandmaster Sex-ay."

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

MassRayPer posted:

It wasn't just Abbott. Russo completely tanked their buyrates, booked two of their top stars in angles that injured them severely plus booked an angle that put their new signing Jarrett out for the Souled Out PPV. Abbott was just the straw that broke the camel's back. He had to go and the booking committee headed by Sullivan was their only solution. It was idiotic to release the four guys on top of that when they easily could have said "Stop being a child murdering baby, you stole the man's wife and he's willing to give you the title, we're not releasing you."

Instead they released them.

Didn't all that become moot when Mike Graham threatened to cut up one of them if they hosed up his situation in the company though? As I recall, they let them all go without fuss to avoid being sued for having a person in some position of authority threatening to murder talent.

Man, gently caress Mike Graham. Yeah, we all get a laugh when he says "broke 1,000 guitars, never drew a dime" about Jarrett, but who the gently caress ever paid money to see Mike Graham wrestle?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Hirams Bitch posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar7vkKi6Obk

Attitude Era, please come back.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Did Too Cool ever hold the belts? Man, they were over as gently caress for a time. The worm was almost on the level as the people's elbow in terms of audience reaction, which is crazy looking back.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Did Too Cool ever hold the belts? Man, they were over as gently caress for a time. The worm was almost on the level as the people's elbow in terms of audience reaction, which is crazy looking back.

Scotty and Sexay held the belts for like a month in 2000 ending E&C's first reign. Scotty and Rikishi had the WWE Tag Team Championship (the one that was created for Smackdown after the brand split) in 2004.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Scotty is a real nice dude.

That's Scotty visiting my cousin in the hospital and Lil' BJR snuck in for the photo op.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Perry Normal posted:

Man, gently caress Mike Graham. Yeah, we all get a laugh when he says "broke 1,000 guitars, never drew a dime" about Jarrett, but who the gently caress ever paid money to see Mike Graham wrestle?

Mike either doesn't get that he owes his entire career and position in wrestling to his dad, or he's been ignoring it/overcompensating for decades. He's like Greg Gagne, only even more of an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perry Normal posted:

Didn't all that become moot when Mike Graham threatened to cut up one of them if they hosed up his situation in the company though? As I recall, they let them all go without fuss to avoid being sued for having a person in some position of authority threatening to murder talent.

That is true, I forgot about that one.