Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrChu
May 14, 2002

Bovril Delight posted:

Isn't that where the seatbelt goes through?

Possibly, I didn't buckle up, and didn't think to check if there was a height adjustment on the B pillar. I don't think it'd do much as a belt holder though, since its not a tight fit and the buttons seem to come undone easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxn1927
Mar 5, 2001
Sat in both the FRS and the BRZ in NY today. Both were extremely comfortable despite being somewhat tall (6'2"). You can pretty much back the drivers seat all the way into the rear bench to get as much room as you want.

The BRZ is definitely much more premium and has a much better interior build quality and feature set, although I found the center console in both to be rather unrefined.

The MMI / touch screen that comes with the Scion is absolutely terrible, so that is a definite plus for the BRZ (it couldn't possibly be this bad). I did find the white gauges of the FRS to be much nicer to look at, however. Another weird thing were the toggle switches in the BRZ, which weren't really toggle switches as they bounce back after you press them (I noticed the GTR had similar buttons inside). I didn't have a chance to see the digital A/C controls working in the BRZ because the battery was dead, but the knobs and physical action felt nice.

The seats in both had pretty decent bolstering (it was much more tighter and supportive than the seats in my RSX were), and the fact that the entire back seat folds down as a bench was also another plus (they pretty much fold perfectly flat).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Yeah, they're momentary switches like on a PC or a robot controller. Are the Mini Cooper ones toggles or momentaries? That's the only other production car I've seen them in.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, they're momentary switches like on a PC or a robot controller. Are the Mini Cooper ones toggles or momentaries? That's the only other production car I've seen them in.

Momentaries

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Subaru also used momentary knobs for climate control which are the strangest things on earth.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

xxn1927 posted:

The MMI / touch screen that comes with the Scion is absolutely terrible, so that is a definite plus for the BRZ (it couldn't possibly be this bad).

Could you expand on this, there hasn't been much information on the scion touchscreen so any firsthand accounts are appreciated. In what way was it terrible? unresponsive, buggy, glare? I was thinking about upgrading from the basic unit but if it's a hunk of poo poo I'll stick with the base system.

xxn1927
Mar 5, 2001

Rabble posted:

Could you expand on this, there hasn't been much information on the scion touchscreen so any firsthand accounts are appreciated. In what way was it terrible? unresponsive, buggy, glare? I was thinking about upgrading from the basic unit but if it's a hunk of poo poo I'll stick with the base system.

The head unit that is equipped in the one I sat in on the show floor can be seen on this page:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20080510-48/2012-scion-iq-first-drive-mighty-mite/

The combination of capacitive buttons crammed into the left side with the smaller screen area seemed like a really poor choice to me. Apparently, this head unit is the mid grade system (according to that article), but is the only system to support pandora through your iPhone.

The top of the line system that has GPS navigation was much better, had controls on the left and right side of the screen, while also having a much larger display area. I am not sure which ones you can order for the FRs, but if you can get the system with nav it would probably be the best option. I imagine you can see it for yourself at the dealership as the head unit was in other cars as well.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Wow that's really pretty awful. Why the hell would you put touch buttons on if it's not a touch screen?

The sad part is that apparently Garmin is going to start doing in-car nav systems, so I can't even shrug and say that they're all poo poo anymore.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Not sure I'd want a touch screen, those things are hard to use when you're not looking at them. Want to skip a track or change station? You'll be taking your eyes off the road and fumbling with your outstretched arm.

Far easier to do when you've got a few fixed buttons and can do it by feel alone.

EDIT:

Wow, this situation is the worst of both worlds. Completely flat, feedbackless capacitive buttons? No thanks.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

psychoticmeow posted:

Not sure I'd want a touch screen, those things are hard to use when you're not looking at them. Want to skip a track or change station? You'll be taking your eyes off the road and fumbling with your outstretched arm.

Far easier to do when you've got a few fixed buttons and can do it by feel alone.

EDIT:

Wow, this situation is the worst of both worlds. Completely flat, feedbackless capacitive buttons? No thanks.

Ideally you'd have stuff like that on the steering wheel. The weird thing is that Toyota does plenty of designs with good usability. Like the Prius had that feature where if you touch your finger on a wheel button, the icon for what it controls shows up on the hud so you keep your eyes on the road instead of sitting there trying to glance at the labels on the wheel, and even the previous Prius had little unique dimples for each button so that ideally you'd memorize the functions (not that anyone ever does).

I guess that's what happens when you outsource design to a supplier (although someone still approved that thing).

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I thought the BRZ was going to have steering wheel controls? I don't remember where I read that but it appears that isn't the case anymore.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bladesamurai posted:

I thought the BRZ was going to have steering wheel controls? I don't remember where I read that but it appears that isn't the case anymore.

I've seen shots with both, so hard to say.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Well, it has cruise and I haven't seen it anywhere on a stalk, so I imagine it has to have steering wheel controls.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

The steering wheel controls have only ever been seen on the CES prepro model. :smith:

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Cruise control has it's own little control stalk similar to the impreza.

e: or at least it does in the shots/descriptions i've seen.

bsamu fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I hate those little stalks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm losing track here. That last photo there seems to very clearly show the cruise control, er, controls on the righ side of the wheel, and stereo/phone controls on the left.

Are we saying that this is some kind of option pack, and the standard car has them on the column?

I've used both types, and I can't say I have much of a preference either way. I suppose the steering wheel setup is better if it's exactly where you want it, but if it's a little off I imagine it would get very irritating in a short time.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Anyone know if it has a spare wheel or if its going to have a puncher repair kit instead?

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

wibble posted:

Anyone know if it has a spare wheel or if its going to have a puncher repair kit instead?

Spare for sure under the carpet in the trunk, possibly full size.

EDIT: Found this, looks like donut sized, but at least its there.

beatdown fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 7, 2012

P.Wheatstraw
Jul 26, 2001

InitialDave posted:

I'm losing track here. That last photo there seems to very clearly show the cruise control, er, controls on the righ side of the wheel, and stereo/phone controls on the left.

Are we saying that this is some kind of option pack, and the standard car has them on the column?

I've used both types, and I can't say I have much of a preference either way. I suppose the steering wheel setup is better if it's exactly where you want it, but if it's a little off I imagine it would get very irritating in a short time.

For what it's worth (probably not much), the dealer where I put my deposit down told me the Subaru rep had said "not even with an upgraded stereo at this point, will they have steering wheel controls."

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That is super lame. I know it's a minor detail, but steering wheel stereo controls not even being an option in a near-30k car in 2012 is crappy.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Yeah, that's a drag. If the Miata can have steering wheel buttons I don't think there's a real purity argument to be made towards not having them.

It might be one of those typical weird Subaru option decisions they change for the 2014 model year, but if they're available in any market it may have the necessary wiring in the steering column and only need to have the panels with the buttons swapped out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm cool with not having steering wheel controls but it seems silly if you have bluetooth phone pairing integrated.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

If you're going to charge that much, you could at least put the steering wheel on the right bloody side. :rolleyes:

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
I hate to be all :spergin: but lack of steering wheel controls might change my mind about buying one of these... Everything else is spot on, too. How disappointing.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Ken Gushi Formula Drift Streets of Long Beach 2012

KEN GUSHI During Round 1 Qualifying 1st run
http://www.justin.tv/driftstream/b/314265429

JEREMY LOWE vs KEN GUSHI During Top 32
http://www.justin.tv/driftstream/b/314276378

KEN GUSHI vs AURIMAS BAKCHIS During Top 16
http://www.justin.tv/driftstream/b/314282785

DAIJIRO YOSHIHARA vs KEN GUSHI During Great 8
part 1 http://www.justin.tv/driftstream/b/314283876
part 2 http://www.justin.tv/driftstream/b/314283918

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

antimatt posted:

I hate to be all :spergin: but lack of steering wheel controls might change my mind about buying one of these... Everything else is spot on, too. How disappointing.

Yeah, it's a pretty small thing overall, but the lack of steering wheel controls and possible no voice control of the stereo and bluetooth are big turnoffs for me now that I'm used to them. And like others have said, it's not like any of those features would be particularly detrimental to the performance of the car.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It might be one of those typical weird Subaru option decisions they change for the 2014 model year, but if they're available in any market it may have the necessary wiring in the steering column and only need to have the panels with the buttons swapped out.

This. Subaru has a rich history of loving early adoptors. Just off the top of my head:

05 to 06 Legacy: Folding rear seatback

08 to 09 WRX: Bigger turbo, revised suspension

10 to 11 WRX: Widebody kit, revised suspension

12 to 13 Legacy: 40% less body roll (!?!)

On one hand they're great at continuous improvement, but pity the fool who buys a year early!

FWIW, no steering wheel controls doesn't bother me, but mark my words it's coming next year, as is a revised front bumper and side "vents".

That sweet rear end matte white will follow, too.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 8, 2012

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty small thing overall, but the lack of steering wheel controls and possible no voice control of the stereo and bluetooth are big turnoffs for me now that I'm used to them. And like others have said, it's not like any of those features would be particularly detrimental to the performance of the car.

Are we allowed to have any barebones sports cars anymore? Asking for poo poo like this (even if buttons aren't heavy, wires are) as standard is the cause of model bloat. 2700 pounds is not light.

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 8, 2012

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

2700 pounds is not light.

:lol:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Are we allowed to have any barebones sports cars anymore? Asking for poo poo like this (even if buttons aren't heavy, wires are) as standard is the cause of model bloat. 2700 pounds is not light.

List of cars under $50k that are lighter than 2700lb:
Miata
Elise

Try adding to that list while meeting all modern crash/safety regulations.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

What are these super light cars you're referring to?

If you pick-and-choose you can find plenty of extremely light cars throughout history, sure. But there are also tons of sports cars, past and present, that weigh over 3000 pounds.

Even the AE86 Corolla could weigh up to 2400 lbs, and the Toyota 2000GT weighs in around 2550 lbs. If you think the weight difference between those and the new Toyobaru is a big deal you're either a race car driver or full of poo poo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah I was bored so I did this instead of work:
pre:
Car			Weight (lbs)
2006 Lotus Exige S		2057
2012 Mazda MX-5 Grand Touring	2511
2001 Acura Integra Type-R	2639
2013 Subaru BRZ			2690
2012 Mini JCW Coupe	 	2701
1995 Nissan 240SX		2765
2006 Acura RSX			2790
1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST	2790 (1G turbo, fwd)
1990 Mazda RX-7 Coupe		2806
2009 Honda S2000		2864
1992 BMW M3 (E30)		2865
1978 Datsun 280Z		2875
2012 Honda Civic Si Coupe w/nav	2897
2012 Porsche Cayman		2954
2012 VW GTi			3034
2011 Mazda RX-8 R3		3065
2012 Nissan 370Z		3245
2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T	3294
It's an unscientific selection, but the three I could think of were (1) a track special that's now illegal to import to the US, (2) a Miata, and (3) a rare track special that comes without A/C or a radio.

I know I'm being a fanboy, but the car is legit light all things considered. There's plenty out there that's lighter, but they're all tiny city cars.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 8, 2012

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

smooth jazz posted:

FWIW, no steering wheel controls doesn't bother me, but mark my words it's coming next year, as is a revised front bumper and side "vents".

That sweet rear end matte white will follow, too.

I hope they add steering wheel controls. It's a convenience thing, and I HATE taking my hands away from the wheel to adjust the stereo, not that I even do it that often. I've also had two cars with wheel-mounted cruise control, and it was far more to my liking than stalk-mounted. I guess in the long run, it's not that big of a deal.

Also it'd be very tempting to get a matte white vinyl wrap. That color would look awesome on the car.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

If you're going to charge that much, you could at least put the steering wheel on the right bloody side. :rolleyes:

According to that we're getting an i4 in the uk, gently caress that :(

Also lol at £1600 for heated seats.

Edit: I know we're not getting an i4.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
The Toyota dealer I visited last week had only sold one so far to a repeat customer who always buys their new cars. The salemen were looking forward to May, when they get to go on training course at a race track! I then visited the nearest Subaru dealer and they are closing down and becoming a Hyundai dealer!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
On the one hand, I'm really glad there's an option with no steering wheel controls, but on the other hand I'm sad there's not an option for you guys to have them. :sigh:

Spokes are way too thick, too. Hello, aftermarket steering wheel! (this is another reason I prefer stalks)

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fucknag posted:

List of cars under $50k that are lighter than 2700lb:
Miata
Elise

Try adding to that list while meeting all modern crash/safety regulations.

Im comparing it to older cars obviously. And ideally we relax crash/safety regulations to allow for a simpler car. (my daily driver weighs 2300 pounds and i really want to strip poo poo off it it, but florida is hot and i need A/C)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

I suppose you are. But don't piss and moan when no one buys them, because for $30k, they want some actual features. Most people can't afford to spend that much money on a car that's only going to be used on the track, and little conveniences are important for a daily driver. I wish it were an option, though, so everyone could decide according to their own preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

According to that we're getting an i4 in the uk, gently caress that :(

Also lol at £1600 for heated seats.

Edit: I know we're not getting an i4.
I be fair, that's the leather option with heating. And yeah, they can't seem to make up their mind what engine it has.

Annoyingly, the auto transmission is one VED band lower, but even if the auto weren't another £1,500 over the manual, it's probably not a factor. I think my self respect is probably worth £25 a year...

Also, any colour other than red costs extra. :rolleyes:

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Im comparing it to older cars obviously. And ideally we relax crash/safety regulations to allow for a simpler car. (my daily driver weighs 2300 pounds and i really want to strip poo poo off it it, but florida is hot and i need A/C)
A ton-and-a-quarter for something with four seats and climate control etc really isn't at all bad. The less-powerful 2.0 Z4 is pretty much identical in size and weighs a quarter-ton more, for example, and that seems disproportionate even with its folding roof.

• Locked thread