Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Perry Normal posted:

Actually, you got that backwards - Taker tapped out while pinning Angle in a very similar move to the gogoplata.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjxYmaWCw-4

Pretty sure Taker didn't start doing the gogoplata until long after Angle left the company.

No Way Out 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lloyd Boner posted:

J-Ru's thinking of the awesome 2006 match. Angle didn't tap out, but he did get the pinfall by reversing the gogoplata. I think that may have been the first time Taker used it.

Perry Normal posted:

Actually, you got that backwards - Taker tapped out while pinning Angle in a very similar move to the gogoplata.

Pretty sure Taker didn't start doing the gogoplata until long after Angle left the company.

I'd say I'm probably conflating multiple instances in my head - all I know is that I really enjoyed it when Kurt and Taker would feud.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

oldskool posted:

It sounds like something McMahon would've done to Austin, DQing him for a closed fist punch, but I can't remember it actually happening.

That said, I personally enjoyed the Bockwinkel/Lawler feud in the AWA that centered around closed fists (specifically Lawler's) but that's the only time I can think of where it's actually come up in any serious manner.
Stephanie got Test DQ'd for closed fists shortly after joining up with HHH.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Closed fists were legalized in 2006 during the McMahons vs DX feud, to give Shane an advantage. This rules change has not been revoked since.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Whatever increased access that older hardcore fans have to things like spoilers - and I'd be careful of underestimating how easy it was to get spoilers in 1999, because the internet had already exploded by then, both in general and in terms of the "internet wrestling community" - is going to be counteracted by WWE's increased focus on small children who wouldn't be googling "next week's RAW results."

That's an interesting point I hadn't considered. I first discovered smark internet sites as a teenager in 1998 when I looked up live PPV results for I show I wasn't able to watch. People in the same sitaution in 2012 might be more likely just to go directly to WWE.com now that it's a much more usable web site.

Minitrue
Aug 6, 2010
Just wondering if there has been any word or update on Daizee Haze? Not to get to personal or anything, just curious.

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?

Perry Normal posted:

Ahaha, this is so amazingly convoluted. Undertaker reaches his arm in to choke Angle, actually putting himself into a triangle choke. Then the ref checks Angle's shoulders a bunch, which are clearly on the mat, and doesn't count a pin until he suddenly feels like it. I appreciate that wrestling physics are their Own Thing, but this just doesn't work.

I just watched the NWO match and that was a lot better, although I still don't understand why the ref doesn't count a pin when Angle's clearly pinning him for a long time before he flips into the "official" pin. Really good match regardless, though.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Why wasn't Tatanka in any major promotion for most of the Monday night war era? He was never that great in the ring, but the guy was pretty over at one point. Wiki said he turned down a WCW offer in 1996 for spiritual reasons, but does anyone have any more details regarding this?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Why wasn't Tatanka in any major promotion for most of the Monday night war era? He was never that great in the ring, but the guy was pretty over at one point. Wiki said he turned down a WCW offer in 1996 for spiritual reasons, but does anyone have any more details regarding this?

It was mostly down to family issues. If I recall correctly there was someone sick in his family, and he couldn't or wouldn't justify going on the road with a big company. He did a bunch of independant stuff in the mean time, but it wasn't the focus of his career at that time.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Was there ever any serious consideration toward giving Ric Flair a run with one of the World titles during his last WWE run?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

TL posted:

Was there ever any serious consideration toward giving Ric Flair a run with one of the World titles during his last WWE run?

His final angle was actually pitched by Steve Austin as Flair has to win or he is fired and originally he would have won the Rumble and maybe the title but they didn't go all the way with it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What happened to the guy in the yellow mask, Bulldozer, from Mountain State Wrestling since 2011? I never bother following MSW, but he was pretty cool.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I heard he returned or was returning to MSW recently. He's been working other NWA promotions in the meantime.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Quarex posted:

I am not entirely convinced that TNA would be able to surpass the WWE in the ratings even if they had all of the top guys jump ship. I mean, have the ratings ever changed, no matter how many ostensibly popular people have gone from WWE to TNA?
Well, part of the problem is that Kurt Angle was really the best that TNA was ever able to grab from WWE -- both in terms of ring work and name power -- and it's all been downhill from there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chortles posted:

Well, part of the problem is that Kurt Angle was really the best that TNA was ever able to grab from WWE -- both in terms of ring work and name power -- and it's all been downhill from there.

Jeff Hardy is up there in name power.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
"Up there," but I feel that Kurt Angle was the apex of what TNA brought in, in terms of feeling like "a big deal" without the "WWE cast-off" stigma.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

TL posted:

Consideration? Yes. But the part that everyone forgets because the video packages and ceremonies were so great around Mania is that his farewell tour angle was actually a pretty big flop for the months leading in, so I don't think it ever got to "serious" levels.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
By "last WWE run" for Flair, I meant from 2002 on. He was still pretty drat good in ring for the first couple years he was there, and promo wise, he was still Ric Flair.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Most of what I can remember from Flairs last WWE run was him floundering in the midcard, which is odd because he was Ric Freakin' Flair.

I think he talked about HBK talking to him, pulling him out of this slump.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Flair should have been the top manager in the wrestling business from 2002 on.

He could have still done all of his Flair floppin' antics bumping as a manager.

Nobody knows how to handle Flair, not even himself.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah I don't know what it is about wrestlers that they just can't give up the in-ring part of it. Flair could have been a GM or manager and still done the odd bump or match, but he has it in his head that he has to be an active wrestler.

I understand not wanting to give up the crowd reactions, but you'd think you could still get that fix from a manager role. I guess we're not meant to understand it though, since most pro wrestlers are somewhat nuts.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

I guess we're not meant to understand it though, since most pro wrestlers are somewhat nuts.

You know that part of the Scott Hall documentary that everyone made fun of, where he said what do you do when they are not cheering for you anymore?

Close to every wrestler who watched that probably ignored the fact they feel the very same way.

I've seen shy, personable kids get their first wrestling match in front of 40 people and suddenly they weren't the same person anymore. That's all it takes.

It's just like starting a band.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

TL posted:

By "last WWE run" for Flair, I meant from 2002 on. He was still pretty drat good in ring for the first couple years he was there, and promo wise, he was still Ric Flair.

I'm not sure if there was any period between 2002 and 2005 when they could have put the title on him, although I don't see any reason they wouldn't have thought of it either. There was the concept after Rocky Balboa came out and Randy Couture won the UFC heavyweight title that he might get one last run on top with that sort of storyline, but I don't think it was ever that close to happening in the form of a title run, and it basically morphed into the "possible career-ending match" angle they actually did.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lone Rogue posted:

Flair should have been the top manager in the wrestling business from 2002 on.

He could have still done all of his Flair floppin' antics bumping as a manager.

Nobody knows how to handle Flair, not even himself.

Flair knows how how to handle himself the same way he knows how to handle taxes and wives.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Managers don't get paid as much as wrestlers, do they?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I don't know what it is about wrestlers that they just can't give up the in-ring part of it. Flair could have been a GM or manager and still done the odd bump or match, but he has it in his head that he has to be an active wrestler.

I understand not wanting to give up the crowd reactions, but you'd think you could still get that fix from a manager role. I guess we're not meant to understand it though, since most pro wrestlers are somewhat nuts.

Look at Mick Foley, who's still talking about "taking one last bump". Or Austin, who's thinking about one more match, despite having a neck made out of chalk. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in a few years from that we'd see Edge having one big match.

Wrestlers just can't let go. They seem to have this obsession to constantly prove that they can still be the wrestler they once were. They can't handle the idea that the business will and does pass them by.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've seen Mick Foley do that "punch yourself til you bleed" bit twice in interviews, and man does that come across as pathetic.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Austin wasn't forcibly retired by his neck issues, he just had a bunch of creative differences with WWE over a course of years that led to him not wrestling again after his issues in 2003. He probably can't take any ridiculous head or neck bumps, but he's fine going in there and doing some holds and moves, as you saw on Tough Enough. I think it's been expected that he'd eventually do another match or two the entire time, he's just only going to do it under his terms with the right opponent because he has the power to do that.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Davros1 posted:

Look at Mick Foley, who's still talking about "taking one last bump". Or Austin, who's thinking about one more match, despite having a neck made out of chalk. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in a few years from that we'd see Edge having one big match.

Wrestlers just can't let go. They seem to have this obsession to constantly prove that they can still be the wrestler they once were. They can't handle the idea that the business will and does pass them by.

I think Edge is worse off than Austin though. Edge's neck locks up just from him sitting down.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I realize he may not be the most objective source, but I remember Austin saying I think on Twitter that he and his doctors think he has another year in him.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

triplexpac posted:

I think acceptance of change is something that all humans (even the best of us) struggle with. When you've done something drat well for years, and all of a sudden you can't do it because your body won't let you, it's akin to having a broken heart. The way you want to live your life, you can't do anymore. It's little surprise that decades of drug and alcohol abuse and bad decisions have led to him still not being able to make good decisions.

I mean it's never really the lovely guys who can't let it go (or maybe they just aren't as publicized).

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Captain Magic posted:

I mean it's never really the lovely guys who can't let it go (or maybe they just aren't as publicized).

Well getting poo poo on constantly by companies run by carnies and never getting your big moment in the spotlight probably leaves you with a different impression of a wrestling career and whether or not you still have it in you.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Since it came out that Edge's contract is going to expire, I had to wonder; how are contract negotiations handled with wrestlers? Do they tend to do it on their own, or do they have agents?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

BlueArmyMan posted:

Since it came out that Edge's contract is going to expire, I had to wonder; how are contract negotiations handled with wrestlers? Do they tend to do it on their own, or do they have agents?

Lex Luger was among the first to have an agent. Many of the top level guys have agents.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I totally would have been down with a few week Flair title run back around his farewell tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdsZJacfji0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdsZJacfji0

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
It was a good time when we had TLC matches on RAW.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

I realize he may not be the most objective source, but I remember Austin saying I think on Twitter that he and his doctors think he has another year in him.

Yeah he said his doctors have said he's fine if he ever wants to wrestle again, and he thinks he could probably go full-time for another year or two, he just doesn't want to.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cardboard Box posted:

Yeah he said his doctors have said he's fine if he ever wants to wrestle again, and he thinks he could probably go full-time for another year or two, he just doesn't want to.

I love Stone Cold, but I wouldn't want him around for more than another big match or two. One, because WWE would rapidly turn him into just another guy, and two, because it would take away time from when he could be tweeting.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

TL posted:

I love Stone Cold, but I wouldn't want him around for more than another big match or two. One, because WWE would rapidly turn him into just another guy, and two, because it would take away time from when he could be tweeting.

If anything, Stone Cold coming back might make Vince bring JR back full-time and get rid of Cole/make him a heel manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

TL posted:

I agree. This is also at a time where WWE should be building new stars, and I think Austin knows that.