Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Russo's really easy to listen to, because whenever he says "I've gotta be honest" and does that little dramatic effect pause, you just know some bullshit is coming your way. That's where all the quotes live.

It's just like "I don't want to sound racist..."

In fact, Russo used that one in one of his most famous interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

coconono posted:

Russo:
-loves kidnapping kids
-hates women

This guy is a born again christian how?
Notice how one of the comments in part 3/4 (WCW) refers to "prison Jesus" versus regular Jesus...

quote:

Ah...he found prison Jesus. Prison Jesus saves everyone...liars, thieves, child moletsters/murderers.

Prison Jesus is a piece of poo poo. Not the Jesus the rest of the Christian world worships...just prison Jesus. Just the "born again" messiah.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Prison Jesus vs. Regular Jesus?

Where I come from, that's called "printing money"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's just like "I don't want to sound racist..."

In fact, Russo used that one in one of his most famous interviews.

Was this where he said that people want to see American wrestlers and not foreigners?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Chortles posted:

Notice how one of the comments in part 3/4 (WCW) refers to "prison Jesus" versus regular Jesus...

Holy loving poo poo. Just when you think you're done finding things to hate about Russo he pulls out gems like that. Bravo you marvellous piece of poo poo.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Lone Rogue posted:

Was this where he said that people want to see American wrestlers and not foreigners?

"I'm going tell you something right now that you will absolutely not agree with, but I've been a wrestling fan my whole life and I will live and die by this. It's hard enough, believe me, I write this poo poo, it's hard enough to get somebody over. You will never ever, ever, ever, ever see the Japanese wrestlers or the Mexican wrestlers over in American mainstream wrestling. And the simple reason for that is, even myself, I'm an American and I don't want to sound like a big bigot or a racist or anything like that, but I'm an American. If I'm watching wrestling here in America, I don't give a poo poo about a Japanese guy. I don't give a poo poo about a Mexican guy. I'm from America, and that's what I want to see."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Skinty McEdger posted:

"I'm going tell you something right now that you will absolutely not agree with, but I've been a wrestling fan my whole life and I will live and die by this. It's hard enough, believe me, I write this poo poo, it's hard enough to get somebody over. You will never ever, ever, ever, ever see the Japanese wrestlers or the Mexican wrestlers over in American mainstream wrestling. And the simple reason for that is, even myself, I'm an American and I don't want to sound like a big bigot or a racist or anything like that, but I'm an American. If I'm watching wrestling here in America, I don't give a poo poo about a Japanese guy. I don't give a poo poo about a Mexican guy. I'm from America, and that's what I want to see."
That is 135 words, with the bigoted statements being 18 words, giving us a new all time padding to racism ratio record of 13:2. Well done!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm amazed a man that fought his whole career against fat, southern wrestling guys embodies pretty much every stereotype of a fat southern wrestling fan.

Actually, no I'm not. Every racist I've ever met is exactly what he hates other races for doing in his imagination.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Skinty McEdger posted:

Interesting fact: Vince Russo's favourite wrestler when growing up was a foreigner.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Interesting fact: Andre the loving Giant wasn't American.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well if he was so great then how come he's dead?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Astro7x posted:

Well if he was so great then how come he's dead?
Politics. They couldn't handle his popularity. And by the way, you know who'd be a great heel character? CandleJa-

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

On WOL back in 1999 Meltzer asked Russo to defend having Juvi smash a bottle of tequila over Liger's head.

Russo said it was not racist because Juvi had given him the bottle as a gift the week before so it was a legitimate object in the office and in fact showed consistent writing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Haha "Here Boss, I think you're doing such a great job, I bought you this as a gift" "PERFECT bro, lets use this in an angle, smash this piece of poo poo over some rear end in a top hat's head" ":("

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What I want to know is how a full bottle of tequila managed to get wasted in a place that Scott Hall has access to.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

flashy_mcflash posted:

What I want to know is how a full bottle of tequila managed to get wasted in a place that Scott Hall has access to.

Yeah like Scott didn't have more then enough for himself

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just wanted to say that the OP was an extremely good read. I used to watch wrestling a bunch when I was a kid and constantly during WWF's Attitude era and switch back and forth between Nitro and RAW to watch Goldberg, DDP, etc. I heard stories about WCW's demise, but didn't think it was that bad.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
So I figured this thread would be the best place to ask this. Probably sounds dumb, but does anyone know if this guy:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andrew-The-Reinforcer-Anderson/139211809434

worked for WCW or TNA? Me and my friend met him at the gym today and he was telling us about he's worked for both companies, in addition to Europe and Japan. He showed us some pics (him with Rick Fuller, Scott Steiner, and Snitsky among others) but OWOW doesn't have anything on him and Cagematch has very little. Figured I might as well ask some of the more knowledgeable folk in this thread.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Psycho Mantits posted:

So I figured this thread would be the best place to ask this. Probably sounds dumb, but does anyone know if this guy:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andrew-The-Reinforcer-Anderson/139211809434

worked for WCW or TNA? Me and my friend met him at the gym today and he was telling us about he's worked for both companies, in addition to Europe and Japan. He showed us some pics (him with Rick Fuller, Scott Steiner, and Snitsky among others) but OWOW doesn't have anything on him and Cagematch has very little. Figured I might as well ask some of the more knowledgeable folk in this thread.

You want http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3180956 and he was on the indy circuit in 2001 so he probably wasn't in WCW.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Andrew "The Reinforcer" Anderson? I'm having a really, really hard time believing someone with that name would be in WCW when you had Arn Anderson

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Ah, forgot about the questions thread. Thanks.

Edit: Good point Sionistic, figured he just might have worked under a different name as a prelim guy or something.

Psycho Mantits fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 25, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Psycho Mantits posted:

Ah, forgot about the questions thread. Thanks.

Edit: Good point Sionistic, figured he just might have worked under a different name as a prelim guy or something.

Here's his Myspace, apparently. http://www.myspace.com/andrewandersonwrestling

He has a rambling, nonsensical bio that never talks about him in WCW, so that dude is a liar. Shameful.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Here's his Myspace, apparently. http://www.myspace.com/andrewandersonwrestling

He has a rambling, nonsensical bio that never talks about him in WCW, so that dude is a liar. Shameful.

He does the indy "list every remotely memorable person I ever worked with" thing too.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

A friend of mine actually met this "Reinforcer" guy before at a convention. Everyone was apparently in line to meet some actual star, and my friend felt bad that no one was in line to meet this guy. Went and got a picture and an autograph and I guess he was a relatively nice guy.

I'm assuming he worked dark matches for WCW and probably Nashville-era TNA or something, so he can tuck the "worked for WCW and TNA" thing under his cap. That's just me giving him the benefit of the doubt, though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Phenix Rising posted:

A friend of mine actually met this "Reinforcer" guy before at a convention. Everyone was apparently in line to meet some actual star, and my friend felt bad that no one was in line to meet this guy. Went and got a picture and an autograph and I guess he was a relatively nice guy.

Reminds me of the time I met Brooke Hogan out of pity, because everyone was in line to meet the Hulkster instead brother.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So if he's the "reinforcer", does that mean he specializes in run-ins?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Require More Fire posted:

So if he's the "reinforcer", does that mean he specializes in run-ins?

He's the guy who comes around when Mark Henry rips a door or wall off of a steel cage.

Vellius
Sep 22, 2007

Sionistic posted:

Andrew "The Reinforcer" Anderson? I'm having a really, really hard time believing someone with that name would be in WCW when you had Arn Anderson

Personally, I would have a hard time believing someone with that name /wouldn't/ be in late era WCW when you had Arn Anderson.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
If he did work in WCW he likely didn't as Andrew Anderson. WCW would have just changed his name. Similar to how Sexton Hardcastle worked as Damon Stryker.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yo i wasnt watching at the time but is it true that wcw started to improve in terms of booking and in ring matches in 01 before the buyout?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

BAN DICKEYE posted:

yo i wasnt watching at the time but is it true that wcw started to improve in terms of booking and in ring matches in 01 before the buyout?

I actually preferred WCW to WWF at the time sometimes. I was getting bored of WWF always having the same guys on top (hilarious in hindsight), I thought WCW did a better job of giving undercard guys a shot.

Plus I loved the cruiser division and they were finally starting to push it again with the cruiserweight tag belts.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

I actually preferred WCW to WWF at the time sometimes. I was getting bored of WWF always having the same guys on top (hilarious in hindsight), I thought WCW did a better job of giving undercard guys a shot.

Plus I loved the cruiser division and they were finally starting to push it again with the cruiserweight tag belts.

My friend is re-watching that era and he says it's very watchable around Sin. Not saying it's good or bad but watchable. The wrestling got better, they started pushing their talent properly (aside from Goldberg who they had no loving clue what to do with and at some point he just disappears) and the Magnificent Seven angle had the opposite effect of what an nWo would do since it allowed a ton of top guys to be only available for two segments on the show instead of spreading them out all over the show because they are the top heels. I have watched a few Cruiser tag matches though. Seeing AJ Styles seems so weird.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WCW has always had great wrestling particularly when you compare it the late 90s WWF style(Brawl, run the ropes, brawl, finish).

I really wish WWE wouldn't sit so tight on the tape libraries and put together an actual best of wrestling in WCW comp instead of all the gaga matches they seem to love so.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Lone Rogue posted:

My friend is re-watching that era and he says it's very watchable around Sin. Not saying it's good or bad but watchable. The wrestling got better, they started pushing their talent properly (aside from Goldberg who they had no loving clue what to do with and at some point he just disappears) and the Magnificent Seven angle had the opposite effect of what an nWo would do since it allowed a ton of top guys to be only available for two segments on the show instead of spreading them out all over the show because they are the top heels. I have watched a few Cruiser tag matches though. Seeing AJ Styles seems so weird.

Wasn't Goldberg injured around that time hence him losing that retirement match? I always heard the plan was to bring him back to fight Scott Steiner after he had beaten all the other faces in the company.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Who was even booking for those last 3 months of WCW in 2001?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Astro7x posted:

Who was even booking for those last 3 months of WCW in 2001?

Big Johnny.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Big Johnny.

And Terry Taylor.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Just finished watching the Nitros from 2001 and the lead up to the final one was great. My copies all had the commercials left in for the last few episodes and seeing everything that WCW was promoting/cross promoting/the fact that AOL had two commercials every break was just so great. The entire leadup to Spring Break Out with a club scene filmed with all these kids screaming "WCW NITRO! AOL 6.0! 1-800-COLLECT! SPRING BREAK OUT!" was just so pathetic. And the bands they had playing there and the WCW stars they had hosting each event. WCW was something else.

The last Nitro didn't feature the famous Vince promo where he fired Double J. He mentioned a bunch of other wrestlers, but when was the J-A-DOUBLE R-E-DOUBLE T F-I-R-E-D promo?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ktik posted:

The last Nitro didn't feature the famous Vince promo where he fired Double J. He mentioned a bunch of other wrestlers, but when was the J-A-DOUBLE R-E-DOUBLE T F-I-R-E-D promo?

Raw the same night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Was that an angle, or genuine fallout from his fleeing the company for half a million in that Chyna match?