Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Captain Foo posted:

What's the difference between a Frankensteiner and a huricanrana?
When Scott did a standing Frankensteiner in WWF it was sold like a head-impact move. Today's hurricaranas are treated more like fancy armdrags. I don't know if the different naming has to do with that though. It's probably the top rope / "who is doing it" factor as others have pointed out.

EDIT-- Speaking of Steiner and head impact in WWF, this Steiner Screwdriver to Owen Hart is absolutely terrifying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaoXG2JPhu0&t=2m07s

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

triplexpac posted:

I wonder how many WWE fans would have been familiar with him though. I guess ECW was pretty popular and the WWE fans were hardcore enough to be familiar with it?
Everyone feel free to correct this, but ECW in the late 1990s/early 2000s was the kind of thing that basically every Internet fan had watched to some degree, which I do not think you can say for TNA. But that could just be my personal experiences talking, where almost every person I knew who watched WWF in the late 1990s (and there were dozens!) also watched ECW PPVs at least once in a while as well, meaning once Rob Van Dam showed up even some of the more casual fans might have seen him be amazing in ECW.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I know I personally didn't watch ECW PPVs, just because I lived on a farm and didn't have cable or any access to ECW shows. I was pretty familiar with the roster though, because I read wrestling magazines & later on the internet, and they both covered it.

Anyway, by the time RVD got into WWE I had seen a couple of his matches from ECW and knew he was a big deal in that company, but that's about it.

My point is a bit conveluted, but basically I'm trying to remember if RVD was immediately seen by the WWE audience as a big deal, or if he won them over with his work & charisma.

Comparing him to Punk, Punk was big in smarky areas but he didn't get super over with the majority of fans until he could show off his skills.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I know I personally didn't watch ECW PPVs, just because I lived on a farm and didn't have cable or any access to ECW shows. I was pretty familiar with the roster though, because I read wrestling magazines & later on the internet, and they both covered it.

Anyway, by the time RVD got into WWE I had seen a couple of his matches from ECW and knew he was a big deal in that company, but that's about it.

My point is a bit conveluted, but basically I'm trying to remember if RVD was immediately seen by the WWE audience as a big deal, or if he won them over with his work & charisma.

Comparing him to Punk, Punk was big in smarky areas but he didn't get super over with the majority of fans until he could show off his skills.

He was over with pretty much every hardcore fan immediately and seeing those people react coupled with his incredibly crowd friendly style pushed him over the top.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I just loved that RVD was super over and the WWE didn't really know what to do with him. He was clearly the star of the Invasion, they had him somewhat butt heads with Austin, but it was a case like Jericho in 2000: the crowd reacted big for him, but he was pushed IC-title level at best most times.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sportsgenius86 posted:

He was over with pretty much every hardcore fan immediately and seeing those people react coupled with his incredibly crowd friendly style pushed him over the top.

He also had the airbrushed ying yang and dragons

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

bobkatt013 posted:

He also had the airbrushed ying yang and dragons

Not to mention he really stepped up his game in the ring when he first got there.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I just remember the Smackdown from Canada during the Invasion that led to a RVD/Austin main event and the crowd was just going ape poo poo over RVD. Probably one of the best reactions ever during the segment where Austin said he was gonna have a match with whoever came in the locker room door next and it was....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypsm4_ZQx5Y

89 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 4, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Minidust posted:

EDIT-- Speaking of Steiner and head impact in WWF, this Steiner Screwdriver to Owen Hart is absolutely terrifying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaoXG2JPhu0&t=2m07s

The Steiners had a reputation in the WWF as stiffing the gently caress out of people they didn't like.

They liked the Harts.

:gonk:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Minidust posted:

When Scott did a standing Frankensteiner in WWF it was sold like a head-impact move. Today's hurricaranas are treated more like fancy armdrags. I don't know if the different naming has to do with that though. It's probably the top rope / "who is doing it" factor as others have pointed out.

That move is so brutal, he doesn't use it often and I can see why. It's like Scott's Burning Hammer, really infamous but rarely used.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

89 posted:

I just remember the Smackdown from Canada during the Invasion that led to a RVD/Austin main event and the crowd was just going ape poo poo over RVD. Probably one of the best reactions ever during the segment where Austin said he was gonna have a match with whoever came in the locker room door next and it was....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypsm4_ZQx5Y

What is that last noise Austin makes before walking out the door?

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

Minidust posted:

drat do I ever miss tag team wrestling.

Also, it is really easy to forget that Scott Steiner used to be the person in that video.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sears Poncho posted:

Also, it is really easy to forget that Scott Steiner used to be the person in that video.
Yeah, I remember somehow getting into NWA/WCW wrestling before WWF wrestling as a young child, and the Steiners were basically my favorite thing ever, though I preferred Rick, since Scott was just the little flippier guy. Then I stopped watching wrestling entirely after Wrestlemania VI (because, seriously, what can top that) and started again in 1998 ... and thought "there is no way that is Scott Steiner. This is just like how people think there were two Undertakers and two Ultimate Warriors, except for real, they replaced him with another person who looks nothing like him and are gutsy enough to just run with it."

Incidentally, a question that does not deserve its own thread(!!!): Can anyone tell me if there was ever a time besides :siren: this hilarious thing :siren: where Abdullah the Butcher appeared in the promotion unexpectedly to attack someone? I want to say he was helping Cactus Jack fight Sting. My earliest wrestling memory is of J.R. (maybe) saying "IT'S ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER!" when he appeared to do whatever it is he was doing. Maybe it was this clip, but what the hell do I know, I was like 7.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 5, 2012

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
Didn't Abbdullah attack Sting by coming out of a giant birthday present? I know this is an absurd sentence but this is WCW we're talking about.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bearnt! posted:

What is that last noise Austin makes before walking out the door?

Something amazing.

HEHHH.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

matrocious posted:

Didn't Abbdullah attack Sting by coming out of a giant birthday present? I know this is an absurd sentence but this is WCW we're talking about.
Yeah, that was the video I linked. Looks like I made the link too subtle. Let me fix that.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Quarex posted:

Yeah, that was the video I linked. Looks like I made the link too subtle. Let me fix that.

I assume that you're just thinking of the same thing. We seem to be around the same age in our fandom, and I have a very similar memory -- and it's exactly what you linked to.

I remember it being sold like it's a crazy dude that we ought to know, but I had no idea who he was. :confused:

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
Was it ever confirmed that Abdullah has Hep C? I know an indy worker was suing Abby but a case like this would be easy to prove.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

nasboat posted:

I remember it being sold like it's a crazy dude that we ought to know, but I had no idea who he was. :confused:

Because Jim Ross is one of the best wrestling announcers that has ever lived. I remember watching this too, I had no clue who Abdula the Butcher was, but when Jim Ross started going I was like, "OH NO NOT ABDULLA THE BUTCHER!!!"

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

budreck posted:

Was it ever confirmed that Abdullah has Hep C? I know an indy worker was suing Abby but a case like this would be easy to prove.

Abby denies having Hepatitis C.

TV network up in Canada did a feature on the situation: http://www.globalnews.ca/Pages/Story.aspx?id=6442526822

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Bob Orton has it though.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Jack Krauser posted:

Bob Orton has it though.

A tragic accident when he was having his cast removed. A shame, really.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Jack Krauser posted:

Bob Orton has it though.
I HAVE HEPATITIS C
I AM JAUNDICED AND FATIGUED
I NEED TO PEE

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nasboat posted:

I assume that you're just thinking of the same thing. We seem to be around the same age in our fandom, and I have a very similar memory -- and it's exactly what you linked to. I remember it being sold like it's a crazy dude that we ought to know, but I had no idea who he was. :confused:

maniacripper posted:

I remember watching this too, I had no clue who Abdula the Butcher was, but when Jim Ross started going I was like, "OH NO NOT ABDULLA THE BUTCHER!!!"
HAHahahah. Thanks, both of you, for helping put it into perspective; watching it a second time with no other music or anything playing, it definitely rang at least a faint memory-bell when J.R. said his name. And I love hearing both of your reactions to it, since that sounds totally spot-on. "AHHHHHH!!! OH NO ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER!!! STING IS IN SO MUCH TROUBLE OH NO :ohdear: WHO IS ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER :ohdear:"

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America
Wasn't that whole "gift box" poo poo a common thing in WCW or was it just that one angle with Sting and Luger? Sting received a whole bunch of those. One was a woman, another was Abdullah the Butcher and the last one he got was Lex Luger jumping out and clipping his knee which led to their match at SuperBrawl II.

BTW...if you're ever in Atlanta, go to Abdullah's House of Chinese Food & Ribs. I went there about four years ago. The food is typical poo poo, but he's got all kinds of cool pictures and poo poo up on the wall, and he's usually there. He's got that fork that he used on Terry Funk in a glass case too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'd be afraid of using any of the cutlery in that place.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Flameingblack posted:

Yes, probably. House shows run at smaller arenas so they don't use a ton of the sets that they use for TV. I think they actually have seperate truck/ring crews for house shows, I'm not sure.

When they come to West Virginia they've got a really small stage and the only lights are over the ring. TNA does the same thing.

Expect to see a dance competition involving Brodus Clay and a Diva, a finisher rush by the faces on a heel, and some good wrestling.

It's in a pretty big arena, and they don't come to Glasgow that often, but it always sells out so I assume they put on a good show. Judging by the floor size and seating chart the ring looks to be about full size, just need to find someone to take that won't laugh at me for watching wrestling!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I come to you, beloved thread, with two questions:

1. Was Booker T given Goldust as a lackey as some kind of punishment that ended up becoming the Modern Day Dusty Rhodes & Sweet Sapphire? I could be misremembering Goldust's status at the time, but I feel like people had completely stopped caring about him, until suddenly his relationship with Booker T was so amazing in every way that they both got more over in the process.

2. How many "guarantees" did Mr. McMahon make? As in, of course, the wonderful period where whenever he "guaranteed" something (uh oh, there's that word again) it would, in fact, actually happen.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Quarex posted:

I come to you, beloved thread, with two questions:

1. Was Booker T given Goldust as a lackey as some kind of punishment that ended up becoming the Modern Day Dusty Rhodes & Sweet Sapphire? I could be misremembering Goldust's status at the time, but I feel like people had completely stopped caring about him, until suddenly his relationship with Booker T was so amazing in every way that they both got more over in the process.

If I remember correctly, Booker was kinda aimless by the time he teamed up with Goldust, so it wasn't so much a punishment as it was something for both of them to do. This was after his feud with the Rock, I believe, and shortly after his megafeud with Chris Jercho over a shampoo endorsement.

Quarex posted:

2. How many "guarantees" did Mr. McMahon make? As in, of course, the wonderful period where whenever he "guaranteed" something (uh oh, there's that word again) it would, in fact, actually happen.

Is this in-story, or in real life, back when McMahon business statements actually held weight?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I thought Edge was the one he feuded with over the shampoo endorsement?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

bobkatt013 posted:

this is correct.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Is this in-story, or in real life, back when McMahon business statements actually held weight?

In-story, there was a time where if McMahon said something would happen and then guaranteed it, it would always happen (although not always in the way it was foreshadowed). So if he guaranteed Austin would not leave the next PPV with the title, Austin would not leave the next PPV with the title. He did it a couple times and then everyone caught on and it was pretty cool.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hirams Bitch posted:

In-story, there was a time where if McMahon said something would happen and then guaranteed it, it would always happen (although not always in the way it was foreshadowed). So if he guaranteed Austin would not leave the next PPV with the title, Austin would not leave the next PPV with the title. He did it a couple times and then everyone caught on and it was pretty cool.

This sounds like an awesome way to swerve the smarks. For instance, "I guarantee Stone Cold won't leave the next pay per view with the championship." And then someone steals the belt after the match.

Then "I guarantee Stone Cold will be in an unfortunate and debilitating accident by the night's end." And then they do that Charlie Chaplin thing where the front of a fake house or interview segment set falls on him and Austin is standing where an open window happens to be. But someone is hit by a real piece of it, like Coach or John Matthews.

And then when people catch on. "At Wrestlemania, Stone Cold Steve Austin will be pinned by The Rock, 1, 2, 3." Then Stone Cold loses clean via pinfall in ten minutes.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

bobkatt013 posted:

Shame on you for correcting me!

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I'm watching a Legends of Wrestling episode and they're talking about Oklahoma and how insulting it was to JR and they start showing footage of it...

Did WCW really do a pinata on a pole match?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Orgophlax posted:

I'm watching a Legends of Wrestling episode and they're talking about Oklahoma and how insulting it was to JR and they start showing footage of it...

Did WCW really do a pinata on a pole match?

Yes yes they did. It was horrible. They also had a cruiserweight match ends with one getting hit with a bottle of tequila.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes yes they did. It was horrible. They also had a cruiserweight match ends with one getting hit with a bottle of tequila.

That was apparently a gift to Bischoff (in real life, not kayfabe) from...I want to say Juvi?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
What are some examples of Vince using the WWE to air his personal grievances/opinions?

The RTC was obviously him hating the PTC. I also seem to remember him cutting a promo on the US Government once

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

What are some examples of Vince using the WWE to air his personal grievances/opinions?

The RTC was obviously him hating the PTC. I also seem to remember him cutting a promo on the US Government once

Well the Billionaire Ted stuff immediately springs to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
They also did a Viagra on a pole match which surprisingly wasn't the least dignifying thing Shane Douglas has done in his career.