Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012

simplefish posted:

Just the gondola scene there, AFAIK
There can also be a slight change to a scene at the end of disc 2 with a certain character. That's vague enough not to spoiler tag, right?

Also: hi, I've been lurking since the early days of this thread. Just wanted to say keep up the good work, Elentor. You've already shown a ton of stuff in the battle system that I had no idea about.
OFS's system knowledge and gamebreaking is impressive as always too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yeah I reckon that's vague enough, because although I've played the game a couple of times, I don't know what you mean!

VagueRant, don't try to clarify it for me now, but do give me a heads-up once the LP gets there if you remember?

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Relationships had a minor effect on combat in the Star Ocean series too, since if a character's love interest/best friend died, they had a chance to become enraged and start hitting like a truck for a little while.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Okay, I just discovered this thread and a gently caress ton of things I never knew; and, thanks to you douchebags, I'm firing up my PS3 and playing my original copy. If my disk gets sratched, I swear to god...:arghfist::mad:

edit: Ugh, it looks like complete poo poo on my TV.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 24, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Fire Emblem's support system can make a pretty big difference in combat, if you're patient enough to have two guys stand next to each other for hundreds of turns.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Alkarl posted:

Relationships had a minor effect on combat in the Star Ocean series too, since if a character's love interest/best friend died, they had a chance to become enraged and start hitting like a truck for a little while.

Something similar happens after you pick your soulmate in tales of symphonia, if either dies the other instantly goes into overlimit.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I forgot, what gets your limit breaks to level up? Is it the amount of monsters hit, or the amount of times you've used the break?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

I forgot, what gets your limit breaks to level up? Is it the amount of monsters hit, or the amount of times you've used the break?

2-1 and 3-1 are by kills. X-2 limits are by using X-1 enough times (I.E. you get Cross Slash by using Braver 8 times). 4-1 is from an item. Cait Sith only has levels 1-1 and 2-1. Vincent has no X-2.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Relationships, or 'bonds', are a feature of Warriors Orochi 3, and has bearing on combat as well. It doesn't really have a roleplaying element to it (unless you consider grinding to be a roleplaying element), but there you go.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
All this talk about relationships providing meaningful gameplay benefits and nobody mentions Xenoblade? Not only do you get higher chance of being able to extend chain attacks further, but gem crafting is improved a good deal as well and most importantly, characters can use other characters' skills the better buddies they are with each other.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
GFs in final fantasy 8 sorta had a relationship factor too irrc.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Momomo posted:

Fire Emblem's support system can make a pretty big difference in combat, if you're patient enough to have two guys stand next to each other for hundreds of turns.

Unless you're playing the best one, Path of Radiance, where you don't need any dumb patience to get supports!

mtrc
Mar 29, 2011

THE FUTURE, YOU GUYS

Elentor posted:

I'm even willing to say that most people who beat the game, by fault of the poor translation, missed a lot of these things.

As others have said too, I'm in this boat. Which is why this is getting more exciting as it goes along, because things are way clearer.

Also get the feeling the game is shorter than I remember it as being. We're quite a ways through now, right?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

FinalSin posted:

As others have said too, I'm in this boat. Which is why this is getting more exciting as it goes along, because things are way clearer.

Also get the feeling the game is shorter than I remember it as being. We're quite a ways through now, right?

We're a dungeon and a half away from the end of Disc 1. Disc 2 is a lot shorter than Disc 1 and Disc 3 is even shorter still.

We're probably around the halfway point.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

AnotherGamer posted:

All this talk about relationships providing meaningful gameplay benefits and nobody mentions Xenoblade? Not only do you get higher chance of being able to extend chain attacks further, but gem crafting is improved a good deal as well and most importantly, characters can use other characters' skills the better buddies they are with each other.

Altogether for a Chain Attack!

Some Numbers posted:

We're a dungeon and a half away from the end of Disc 1. Disc 2 is a lot shorter than Disc 1 and Disc 3 is even shorter still.

We're probably around the halfway point.

To clarify, Disc 3 lets you do sidequests and junk that are still available, but it is just the final dungeon. When the second disc ends, you are on your way to fight the last boss.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FinalSin posted:

Well, shorter... depends on the definition. I'd say the bare game is about the same duration to slightly longer than, say, Mass Effect 3 with all side-quests (about 20 hours, for me).

If you play slowly, and read stuff etc, it can go up to 40-50 hours. And if you're REALLY thorough and do all side-quests, anything between 50-80 hours.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think the later Persona games use relationships out of battle, to provide advantages in battle.

Dynasty Warriors 4: XTREEEEME Legends had a horrible mechanic where your officer kills will piss off or improve relations with others. It turns to poo poo when you accidentally slap every wandering officer who joins in the brawl against every guy you fight and only the same few evil guys ever want to be friends.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Elentor posted:

If you play slowly, and read stuff etc, it can go up to 40-50 hours. And if you're REALLY thorough and do all side-quests, anything between 50-80 hours.

This game being so polarizing, if you reach disk 3 it is probably closer to the later than the former.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
My first playthrough took about 80 hours. My brother has a save from his first playthrough on the very last save point of the game, clocking 102 hours. He was very throughout. I think the only things he didn't do were finishing the Battle Square and farming AP to master all the materias.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

If you're playing without a guide on the first trip through, many of these 90's JRPGs have you spending a good amount of time searching for the story path / NPC triggers. These games were pretty vast for their day; I remember spending a good amount of time just getting lost.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

2-1 and 3-1 are by kills. X-2 limits are by using X-1 enough times (I.E. you get Cross Slash by using Braver 8 times). 4-1 is from an item. Cait Sith only has levels 1-1 and 2-1. Vincent has no X-2.

Also 4-1's item can't be used unless you have all the other limits.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Scalding Coffee posted:

Dynasty Warriors 4: XTREEEEME Legends had a horrible mechanic where your officer kills will piss off or improve relations with others. It turns to poo poo when you accidentally slap every wandering officer who joins in the brawl against every guy you fight and only the same few evil guys ever want to be friends.

...but that's why you're not supposed to pursue Lu Bu.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Medieval Medic posted:

This game being so polarizing, if you reach disk 3 it is probably closer to the later than the former.

I think it only got polarizing over the years, because the fanbase as a whole was insufferable.

But today it's no different than the fanbase of any modern game. Hell, the fanbase of Blizzard games is... something else entirely.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There are literal slave camps for playing Blizzard's games.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Elentor posted:

I think it only got polarizing over the years, because the fanbase as a whole was insufferable.

And I think the expanded universe isn't doing the game any favors by reinforcing the incorrect characterizations that the fanbase has given the characters.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Waffleman_ posted:

And I think the expanded universe isn't doing the game any favors by reinforcing the incorrect characterizations that the fanbase has given the characters.

I suppose over time, people have just forgotten what the actual characters are like in the game, and when replaying, tend to gloss over the actual characterisations.

I think Kingdom Hearts has a share of the blame as well, with him being sullen and moody all game. Introducing him to a new audience, who might not be as familiar with the FF games.

And his design using stuff from Vincent's wardrobe.

And then they've carried on that characterisation throughout the rest of the EU, like you said.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pesky Splinter posted:

I suppose over time, people have just forgotten what the actual characters are like in the game, and when replaying, tend to gloss over the actual characterisations.

I think Kingdom Hearts has a share of the blame as well, with him being sullen and moody all game. Introducing him to a new audience, who might not be as familiar with the FF games.

And his design using stuff from Vincent's wardrobe.

And then they've carried on that characterisation throughout the rest of the EU, like you said.

So the snarky rear end in a top hat turned into squall.

It's amazing how much of squall people stick onto cloud.

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?
The belts are there to hold in the angst.

They do not work very well.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's the bandages that always get me. Obviously the Buster sword was in a major skiing accident.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
...Is he holding the entire weight of the sword against his thumb there?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

...Is he holding the entire weight of the sword against his thumb there?
Never challenge cloud to a thumb war. :stare:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Never challenge cloud to a thumb war. :stare:

Are final fantasy thumb wars turn based? And can you use abilities and magic?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Are final fantasy thumb wars turn based? And can you use abilities and magic?

They involve flying around the room while ignoring any laws of physics.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I firmly believe that Kingdom Hearts Cloud is the whiny bitch that he is because he ate Vincent and got the whiny bitch vampire disease.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So the snarky rear end in a top hat turned into squall.

It's amazing how much of squall people stick onto cloud.

That's Leon! :rolleyes:

Ignoring all those belts, I like Cloud's Kingdom Hearts design. It probably helps that Vincent is my favorite FFVII character, though.
If I recall correctly, KH2 uses his Advent Children design, which is nice because there's not many useless belts.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yep. The best thing about this is that it has something resembling Cloud's hair spike. I was so pissed when they removed that in Advent Children and beyond.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Why would you wrap up the AC sword? That negates the whole point of its design (it's like a Swiss Army Sword)!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Why would you wrap up [a] sword? That negates the whole point of its design!

Fixed that one for you.

I really dislike the whole one sleeve, half-skirt outfit from Advent Children. But the little wolf thing designed entirely for merch is the worst part.
On the other hand, that might be preferable to the redesign of his original outfit that added two extra belts.

Nomura.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

VagueRant posted:

I really dislike the whole one sleeve, half-skirt outfit from Advent Children. But the little wolf thing designed entirely for merch is the worst part.

I think they used it a parallel for Squall's Lion thing, Griever, or at least, trying to evoke the same type of image. So yeah, they just remade Cloud into Squall 2.0, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I really hate his AC design. They apparently spent a really long time figuring out what he should look like, but in the end Nomura just went "Black. Make it all black."

Still slightly better than Tifa's though, which I'm not even sure you can call a "design".

• Locked thread