Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I just reread "Cat From Hell," and it felt like King either A) came up with the plot after a drunk game of Mad Libs ("Rich old man hires a _______ to ______ his _______"), or B) someone bet him he couldn't write a story incorporating a cat and a punctured scrotum. Jesus, that was gruesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

STUPID EW, IT IS NOT "CHOMPING AT THE BIT" AUGHHH AUGHHH!!! SHEESH!! AUGH!!

That drat Satyr posted:

Well, yes that's the same way I interpreted it - I just think it's silly. :/ Oh well, it's not like ebook prices aren't borked anyway.

Yeah, I stomach it because I do not have room in my house for more books but it's kind of insane to pay nearly as much for an e-book as I would for the hardcover (given that amazon's prices can get lower on this stuff).

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Man, all the people responding to the Stephen King facebook post about the "ebook only" thing make me want to rip my eyes out. So many "GOOD, HOW LAZY CAN YOU BE THAT ITS SO HARD TO PICK UP A REAL BOOK" and "WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO WHEN PEOPLE READ FAKE BOOKS NOT REAL BOOKS". It's a total shitshow.

There was one guy who said something along the lines of "Hey, caring so much about paper books vs ebooks that you ridicule other people about how they read just shows that you like books more for their medium as opposed to the words themselves, in which case you're not really a fan of books at all but just a fan of the paper aesthetic."

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I want to be able to have both a paper copy and a digital copy of Pet Sematary at the ready so I can read the part about his 2 year old son being run down in the street by an Orinco truck over and over and over.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I want to be able to have both a paper copy and a digital copy of Pet Sematary at the ready so I can read the part about his 2 year old son being run down in the street by an Orinco truck over and over and over.

You just want to read the loofah glove handjob in the tub over and over and over. Confess.

I'm trying to decide if I am going to bother with "Dr. Sleep." Has anyone heard anything other than it's going to be about an adult Danny Torrance?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Edwardian posted:

You just want to read the loofah glove handjob in the tub over and over and over. Confess.

I'm glad you spoilered that, because it's not only true but it needs to be in spoilers because I get a little excited just thinking about it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Edwardian posted:

I'm trying to decide if I am going to bother with "Dr. Sleep." Has anyone heard anything other than it's going to be about an adult Danny Torrance?

There's more of a plot summary on King's site now. Basically, someone is hunting kids with the Shining to suck up their Shining juices, and Danny gets involved in stopping them.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Oh dear.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Darko posted:

There's more of a plot summary on King's site now. Basically, someone is hunting kids with the Shining to suck up their Shining juices, and Danny gets involved in stopping them.
So basically a Dark Tower tie-in to the Library Policeman?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

iostream.h posted:

So basically a Dark Tower tie-in to the Library Policeman?

... I'd read that.

Cattywampus
Oct 14, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

From Teefury:

Me Wantee!

Teefury also had this:

I don't think I have purchased anything faster when I saw this show up on their site.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Polygamy posted:

Teefury also had this:

I don't think I have purchased anything faster when I saw this show up on their site.

Oh my god, you mean to tell me you can only buy the shirt that is featured that day ON that day, and then it's gone forever?

I'm looking through the gallery and that is so NOT.FAIR. :negative:

Seriously though I'm bookmaking the gently caress out of the site now.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm not a big fan of manufactured scarcity.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

It won't affect the price since publishers already control that. :unsmith:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I was actually talking about Teefury :v:.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm not either, and it's gimmicky as hell, but some of those shirts are awesome.

Basically the consumer in me has no scruples if it's a cool thing I want. :smith:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

Aren't those 't-shirt a day' sites all the same, in that they only manufacture after the order day and re-ordering is basically impossible because of their setup with the printer?

I'm not defending them, I hate that type of thing too, and it seems I read something along those lines a while back.

I really SHOULD keep myself from looking through their archives. :smith:

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
A lot of the artists that get published on Teefury will later re-publish the same designs on RedBubble or whatever. That particular artist, Megan Lara, is one of my favorites, she does some amazing Noveau pieces.

ANYWAY - the point is, you guys can totally buy that shirt right here for $25.

whorfin
Dec 6, 2007

That drat Satyr posted:

A lot of the artists that get published on Teefury will later re-publish the same designs on RedBubble or whatever.

THANK YOU!

I had no idea. I can finally replace my long lost Hurley DUDE shirt.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/jimiyo/works/4754346-dude-its-hurley-reyes-from-the-tv-show-lost?p=t-shirt

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!

crankdatbatman posted:

I started Night Shift this past week, and--after thinking I'd just read one or two stories before moving on to something else--I think I'm going to read the whole thing. Pound for pound, which short story collections of King are the best? Which are the worst? I feel Night Shift is one of his better one's, but I have no real evidence to back this up outside of my gut feeling.

I hope I'm not too late. Don't read "The Woman in the Room". Despite the intriguing title, it is just an absolutely tragic and realistic story about a man and his dying mother.

I haven't read everything in Night Shift but that was the only one I didn't enjoy so far.

Edit: Seriously don't read it, it depressed me at the time and I'm sad just thinking about it now.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Polygamy posted:

Teefury also had this:

Weren't the lyrics "Baby can you dig your man?"

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Weren't the lyrics "Baby can you dig your man?"

Yeah, this is the version they made for the TV mini-series.

I always preferred this "fan-made" version, though

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Drunk Tomato posted:

Yeah, this is the version they made for the TV mini-series.

I always preferred this "fan-made" version, though

That fan one is so much better than the miniseries one. Well, it didn't have to try that hard to achieve that distinction. But I was quite surprised, not bad at all.

I am kind of looking forward to Dr. Sleep, but I really like his books that don't have children as the main aspects of the story a LOT better than the ones that do. I grimaced when I read the post that said that Dr. Sleep would be Danny trying to help other shiny kids. Great, more children! Yay. I just love reading about children!

:jerkbag:

Of course this is very prominent in my mind right now as I'm re-reading Needful Things, and I really didn't need to read about an 11 year old boy's masturbatory habits. I am not interested, don't care, don't want to read that crap. Yes I have already re-read It, and skimmed the infamous part in that one. I didn't remember that Needful Things had that information about Brian Rusk.

Oh well.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
"It" really was beyond the pale in that regard. What's creepier than reading about a young teenage girl having sex with a boy, in a sewer? A young teenage girl having sex with all the boys, in a sewer.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Ben Hanscomb's Big Dick

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

That drat Satyr posted:

ANYWAY - the point is, you guys can totally buy that shirt right here for $25.
I love you and bought the hell out of that (and of course the Stark crest T).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Ben Hanscomb's Big Dick

Uuuuuuggggggghhh

Why he felt like he had to say that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

jackpot posted:

"It" really was beyond the pale in that regard. What's creepier than reading about a young teenage girl having sex with a boy, in a sewer? A young teenage girl having sex with all the boys, in a sewer.

I think some, if not all, of the kids are actually 11 or 12 so its preteen sex. Great great book but I still wonder how King writes, edits it numerous times, lets his wife read, his editor(s) read it and I guess no one said anything? Or even worse it WAS edited down from the original and thats what we got.

(King sits down to edit "It")
(reads scene of pre-teen orgy of 6 guys banging 1 girl)
(puts pipe in mouth)
"Mmm.......yes."

(book sells more copies than any other book in 1986)
(puts 2nd pipe in mouth)
"Mmm......quite."

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Deltron 3030 posted:

I hope I'm not too late. Don't read "The Woman in the Room". Despite the intriguing title, it is just an absolutely tragic and realistic story about a man and his dying mother.

I haven't read everything in Night Shift but that was the only one I didn't enjoy so far.

Edit: Seriously don't read it, it depressed me at the time and I'm sad just thinking about it now.

I haven't read it yet, but I'm the type who has to read everything in a book when I get into it; so pray for me, I'm going in.

So far I really enjoy Night Shift. The Boogeyman is my favorite so far. The Mangler is kind of ridiculous, but it's done in a way that is still creepy.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

crankdatbatman posted:

I haven't read it yet, but I'm the type who has to read everything in a book when I get into it; so pray for me, I'm going in.

Honestly I think everyone is that type of person. The idea of actually following someone's advice and NOT reading something seems the height of ridiculousness.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Ben Hanscomb's Big Dick

Ordering in 4XL. Wait a minute. That's not a T-shirt.

In related news, thanks for the t-shirt link whoever. Got my wife a plate-slinger one, she'll dig that.

Also, am about a quarter through 11/22/63 and am enjoying it a lot. Although I've only just started to get used to it being in the first person. Oh well, will return in a couple of weeks to read all the spoilered discussion. Bye.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 7, 2012

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

oldpainless posted:

I think some, if not all, of the kids are actually 11 or 12 so its preteen sex. Great great book but I still wonder how King writes, edits it numerous times, lets his wife read, his editor(s) read it and I guess no one said anything? Or even worse it WAS edited down from the original and thats what we got.

(King sits down to edit "It")
(reads scene of pre-teen orgy of 6 guys banging 1 girl)
(puts pipe in mouth)
"Mmm.......yes."

(book sells more copies than any other book in 1986)
(puts 2nd pipe in mouth)
"Mmm......quite."

It's supposed to be weird and shocking, not titillating. Beverly freaks out when she remembers it, and Bill indicates that it was a last resort to escape from the sewers and is really uncomfortable talking about it. Acting like he set out to write pedo-erotica is disingenuous.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Protocol 5 posted:

Bill indicates that it was a last resort to escape from the sewers
And who among us hasn't used that line once or twice to get laid in the sewer?

Protocol 5 posted:

It's supposed to be weird and shocking, not titillating. Beverly freaks out when she remembers it, and Bill indicates that it was a last resort to escape from the sewers and is really uncomfortable talking about it. Acting like he set out to write pedo-erotica is disingenuous.
In a list of things children in a horror story could do to escape the monster-ridden sewers, I just find it weird that "everybody has sex with ten year old Beverly" even cracked the top 10, that's all. It's not like it was self-evident when Bill pointed out it was their last resort for escaping; King might just as easily have had Bill say holding hands was their only way out. Or drinking each other's blood. Pretty much anything I can come up with is going to be less creepy than what actually happened.

quote:

He's big, oh yes - the pain is back, and it's much deeper than when Eddie first entered her. She has to bite her lip again and think of the birds until the burning is gone. But it does go, and she is able to reach up and touch his lips with one finger, and he moans.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Note to self: stay out of King thread when 327 pages into IT.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I really think that scene doesn't fit in with the situation. Granted, it is difficult for me to imagine being a member of a group of 10-12-year-olds who have just incompletely defeated a 10 million year old embodiment of evil from outside of space and time and who are lost and confused in the darkness of a seemingly endless sewer system underneath their not-right town, but that still doesn't really translate into lets all have sex one at a time with the girl.

It could translate into lets all huddle together and grasp each other desperately in the dark (no homo). It could translate into crying until they have no more tears to cry, sleeping, waking up, and then trying again to find a way out. It could translate into holding hands in a human chain with desperate, sweat-slick grips and one or two of them losing coherence in giggling or screaming or crying and the others manage to pull them along. But it just simply does not translate into deciding that having two of their number go off a ways and do something else strange and new and incomprehensible is ever going to fix anything. It feels too forced. King did it to be shocking, and he succeeded, but I think the believability of the characters and therefore the story is less for it. In times of extreme stress and hardship people regress to what they are most comfortable with. They don't try new things.

It would have made more sense if they were adults. But only if they all had a history of banging Beverly, like if they had all dated her in the past or something. Or I don't know. Still its a stretch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One of the big things about It is that childhood has power, and that power is both was leaves them vulnerable to but also allows them to confront It. That is why returning as adults is so dangerous, because they've lost that.

Sex is pretty inherently one of the most adult activities out there. It being connected to the "childhood magic" that protects them feels out of place because it isn't. Stan has his bird book, Bill has his children's speech therapy, Richie has his bad jokes, they're all inherently childish things but powerful because of it. It's being childish that gives them power within the context of the story. So Beverly's thing being "Welp, they can have sex with me" feels out of place because it isn't childish.

King wanted to be shocking but it really doesn't mesh with the rest of the story, which is basically about childhood nostalgia. It was like King couldn't think of something that was distinctly Beverly besides "she's the girl." Honestly, that's something that's a reoccurring problem with the character, it is just kind of most obvious in that scene.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 8, 2012

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So it seems like you are saying King didn't worry about Beverly's characterization too much.

He didn't worry about you Bevvie. He didn't worry A LOT.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

So what could or should Beverly have been characterized with? What do 10-12-year-old girls have that's similar to a bird book, children's speech therapy, or bad jokes? I'm not an expert on pre-teen girls. Don't they like horses or something?

Here's her character summary from wikipedia:

wikipedia posted:

Beverly "Bev" Marsh (later Rogan): The only female in the group, Beverly is an attractive, chain smoking, redheaded girl from the poorest part of Derry. She has an abusive father who beats her regularly. She develops a crush on Bill Denbrough and her skill with a slingshot is a key factor in battling It. All the boys are described as being fond of Beverly; at some point, each has romantic or sexual feelings for her, which is later confirmed once all the Losers return from the sewer defeating It (or so they thought). As a child, her father abused her while using his constant catch phrase, "I worry about you, Bevvy. Sometimes I worry a lot." As an adult, she becomes a successful fashion designer, but endures several abusive relationships, culminating in her marriage to Tom Rogan, who sees her as a sex object and disapproves of her chain smoking, using it as an excuse to beat her up. After a brief liaison with Bill, she subsequently departs Derry with Ben following the death of her husband (who was used by It to nearly kill the Losers).

So she was an abused, chain-smoking sex object already as a kid and she stayed that way. Geez.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 8, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of It, Warner Bros has hired Cary Fukunaga (Sin Nombre, Jane Eyre 2011) to cowrite and direct a TWO part adaptation of It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Vorgen posted:

So she was an abused, chain-smoking sex object already as a kid and she stayed that way. Geez.

While this may not have been intended to be taken at face value. There is an extent to which this fits a major theme of the book. You can't move on unless you go back and face your chilhood traumas.