Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Got the S2000 detailed, I forgot it could look so good :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Installed new wheels, tires, and painted the brakes Chevy Orange.

Edit: Now the pictures show up

Fushin fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 1, 2012

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That's... well, ummmm.... something.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

meatpimp posted:

That's... well, ummmm.... something.

Yes, a car. Four wheels, an engine, a transmission... If it's the graphics then I got the car from the dealer like that. It was a showroom model that I got for a discount because they were closing out the 09 models. I don't care for them but they're just graphics.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010
Tackled the A/C because we're quickly approaching the point where a car without is not drivable in NC until sometime this fall. Someone has done the R12 -> R134a conversion at some point in the past but the A/C has absolutely no effect at the vents. Didn't get far into it today, just enough to determine there is some refrigerant and the low and high pressure switches aren't the problem. Gonna get back to that probably this weekend with the help of the A/C thread but I've got a feeling the compressor is shot and I'm going to need to do the whole compressor/expansion valve/receiver-drier set.

Went to lunch and came back out to a completely dead battery. Swapped that for a new one that's actually the correct group size and still made it back in time for (most of) the meetings on my calendar this afternoon.

Replaced the clock in the dash and also swapped in an LED replacement for the bulb:

It looks better in person than in the picture.

Also swapped out this pain in the rear end:

Washer fluid reservoir with a slightly separated seam somewhere towards the bottom. Posters on Rennlist seem to all be able to replace this by pulling three bolts and having the thing fall on the ground, but it wasn't quite that easy. For one thing, there's a brake cooling duct directly underneath it that has to be removed. The bracket for the duct doesn't have to be removed but at least one bolt needs to come out and another loosened so it can swivel out of the way. Worst part was pulling the big hose off the bottom pump. The passenger side nozzle seems a little gunky but the driver's side works pretty well and the headlight washers are perfect. I'll try to clean out those nozzles this weekend.

Also on the To Do list for the weekend:

Take a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway with Fluffy navigating.

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
Discovered the truck had a broken end link so I made a quick trip to the store and got to work in the dark.

The top of the old end link had sheared off

Nice and shiny

Went ahead and did both sides while I was at it. The rest of the suspension looks fine so there shouldn't be any surprises on that front for a while.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

After 4 years and 80,000 km of Panda ownership, I have sold my little Panda.

I couldn't help but feel a little emotional as I watched the new owner drive away in my little red car, but I know she'll treat it well and feed it all the kilometers it could ever want.

So that's it, no more car at the moment, just the motorcycle. Perhaps I should start hunting for a nice Peugeot 406 TS6 V6 estate for my 4-wheeled fix :)

Bye bye little Panda, it's been fun. My first, last and only new car.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Merger of old and new(er). A friend took 30mm off the T.Spark inlet manifold and welded it on the old Alfa twin cam inlet manifold.

shootme
Dec 29, 2001

Excuse me, where can I find Hevi-Shot?
I put the doors away for the summer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Paint and re-assembled.

First attempt at fiberglass repair and painting. Came out pretty well.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

Paint and re-assembled.

Perfectly presentable. Well done. gently caress you MOOSE!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
let someone else drive it :(

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Powershift posted:

Paint and re-assembled.

Looks great dude!

For me I got the first baby step done today, out of the garage.

Then it started raining :argh:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

GutBomb posted:

let someone else drive it :(

Tell us the story.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Billy Tully posted:

Looks great dude!

For me I got the first baby step done today, out of the garage.

Then it started raining :argh:

Sup fellow "damned weather" buddy, your truck looks absolutely awesome.

I managed to pull a non-stock body panel off of mine and cut up some metal for framing.

Aand then a massive thunderstorm said "gently caress you" to our power supply and I went back inside before the welding started.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

kimbo305 posted:

Tell us the story.
My friend recently got her learners permit (she's 28)and has been taking driving courses and needed some practice. So I took her out to a place that's easy to drive, no traffic. I pulled over to the side of the road. She get her mirrors all set, shifts into D (yeah whatever, automatic rx8, blah blah) looks for an opening in the road, finds one but take her foot off the brake before looking forward and drives right into a parked car. I yelled "whoa whoa stop!" and instead of stopping she looks at me (still hasn't looked forward) and says "what?"

I knocked on the door of the house the car was parked outside but no one answered. I left a note with my phone number on their windshield. It left a similar looking scratch on their rear bumper. No cracks or deformation though.

She's the only person aside from myself that has driven my car since I bought it. She's now also going to be the last aside from myself.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I lowered it on H&R Springs...now the front suspension clunks :smithicide:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Welcome to the joys of Fiat ownership :v:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Bought it.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DropShadow posted:

Bought it.

gently caress. Yes. I demand a ride before you leave CT.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
There's a lot more CT AI goons than I thought.

Today my power window motor stopped working in the Z24 and the glass was stuck 3/4 shut and at a strange angle. I was confused until I pulled off the door panel and saw the power window motor was detached from the door and all the bolts were cleanly sheared.

I replaced them with nice thick bolts from the hardware store and found the door glass was outside its little channel and straining against the rubber as it went up. No wonder the window was hard to put up :downs:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
got a big rear end box from Subaru

I will finally be able to fulfill a long held dream of having a big rear end wing on a blue turbo Subaru with gold wheels

Changing up the look a bit with an STi wing for the old WRX. My WRX is putting down considerably more power to the wheels than an STi so no poser comments necessary :sweatdrop:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are a lot of STI owners that probably would have trunk-swapped you for free.

As for me, i cleaned the throttle body to deal with a rumble when stopped. amazing how a little bit of dirt can be such a pain in the rear end.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 7, 2012

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

There are a lot of STI owners that probably would have trunk-swapped you for free.

Not with a WRX wing they wouldn't have. Believe me, I searched for months. Everything was either beat to poo poo or not available, the supply of people who want something different for their 04-05 WRX/STi is dwindling by the day.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kylej posted:

Not with a WRX wing they wouldn't have. Believe me, I searched for months. Everything was either beat to poo poo or not available, the supply of people who want something different for their 04-05 WRX/STi is dwindling by the day.

You could have swapped somebody with an RS for their wingless trunk, then used that wingless trunk to swap for an STI trunk

trunk swapping is a complex ecosystem. If i keep the sti wing on my trunk, i'm definitely getting some stabilizers, because that thing flaps like crazy at speed.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Replaced the rear lateral links on my 'Speed Protege after bending the old ones doing my brakes last week (noob note: lateral links are not control arms and make poor jackstand support points). Drove it a mile to the nearest shop only to find out their one alignment tech was tied up til closing doing an A/C service, so now I have to try and go back before work tomorrow.

Also, a month after repairing the ribbon cable and getting my stereo back after rocking engine sound for a year and a half, my subwoofer cut out a few days ago. Pulled it out and found the speaker has a bad coil (no continuity across the terminals), and of course there's like 4 choices of 8" speaker of any impedance that are shallow enough to fit in the factory sub enclosure, which hangs beneath the parcel shelf in the trunk.

Oh, and discovered that the reason my car smokes from the hood after coming off the highway is a slow leak coming from the oil supply line to the turbo, which for the past 2 years already had an issue with the wastegate flapper not sealing correctly when fully closed. :suicide:

I swear if I wasn't broke and the car didn't handle so well I'd have ditched it long ago.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
If that particular line's leaking, take a good hard look at the return line off the turbo. When that cokes up (and it inevitably does, it's a wear item that needs regular replacement), oil leaking from the input line is a prelude to the turbo blowing internal oil seals.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Perhaps I should start hunting for a nice Peugeot 406 TS6 V6 estate for my 4-wheeled fix :)

Hey, stay away from my car, man! Get your own!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Installed a toolbox!

No more driving 10 minutes to get a wrench, or having tools sliding around my back seat.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

Hey, stay away from my car, man! Get your own!

Eh, I don't like silver.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Last night between rain showers I pulled the old ruined soft top off my MX-5. Why in the hell does the parcel shelf carpet need to be that secure? The vast majority of my time was spent pulling those plastic pegs out. In the end I got enough off that I could grab the back of the carpet and pull the rest out, but loving hell.

According to some passing stranger seeing a 6'5" guy try to contort himself into the space behind the seat is quite funny. :v

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I bought another part. Another land Cruiser under seat heater to misuse.
This one is going to be tweaked a little to drive the front heaters in the VW.
Can't actually do anything right now so I'm just collecting parts.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
After a buddy of mine tried it with his Lancer and it came out pretty nice, I decided to see how my car would look with Plasti-dipped blacked out wheels. Figured for approximately $24 (4 cans) I could do so with no risk, since it peels right off.

The results:

Over-all I like it. Obviously not as nice as doing it proper with a powder coat, but you can't beat the price!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Broke 2k miles on my 2 month old Sonic.

Then I washed it inside and out to make it look good as new again.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is that the 1.4T engine? How is it?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

Yeah, 1.4L Turbo Automatic. I love it. I took the old 2-lane highway to my parents' house to wash it today and had it up to 110 on a long straight stretch, which I found impressive for such a small engine. Acceleration is a pretty slow once you get to ~90, but it's awesome at normal speeds and you get a good boost when passing. When you're just cruising it's really quiet, and it has a good turbo whine to it when you give it gas.

When I test drove the Sonic all they had was the 1.8L LT models, and the difference is like night a day. You barely felt the 1.8L even when giving it gas. It was a smooth ride, but really weird to drive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Frozen-Solid posted:

Broke 2k miles on my 2 month old Sonic.

Then I washed it inside and out to make it look good as new again.

2k in 2 months? the last 2 vehicles i bought, i did 2k in 2 days.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bovril Delight posted:

I had a rental a Cruze with the 1.4T and 6 speed automatic. I had no idea it had a turbo until I put my foot in it, then it was more of a :asoiaf: moment when it spooled up.

If wikipedia is correct, the Cruze got about a 20 hp boost over the Sonic (same torque though), though the Cruze is a pretty heavy car (about 3100 lbs I think?).

I was really impressed with the entire driveline.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Powershift posted:

2k in 2 months? the last 2 vehicles i bought, i did 2k in 2 days.

I'm a pretty light driver. My daily commute is ~5 minutes. The only reason it's even 2k is because I made a 4 hour trip to Chicago and back, and 2 trips to St. Louis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Special Laguna Seca exhaust tip~~~~

Basically gently caress every single rich prick who moved next to a race track and then complained about the noise :argh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!