Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

DJ Commie posted:

Change every constant/variable, and you get surprises. Its fallacious that a street car should know it should be in race slick on a track mode when a few millionths of the percentage of driven time across the model range is using the ABS in race conditions.

Not to say there can't be a race mode ABS, but to think ABS made for snow/ice is even remotely like ABS programming for racing is silly.
Street tires today grip as well as the R-comps did just 10 years ago. It's fallacious for manufacturers to assume these cars will only ever be driven on factory rubber. It's an important safety device that should be able to cope with all contingencies that car will see through its life. Sure, once your start replacing the suspension all bets are off, but tires are one thing the manufactures must give allowance for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DJ Commie posted:

Antilock brakes are extremely complicated systems with tons of constants and variables developed and set by manufacturers. Tire traction, dive, weight transfer, all sorts of things that are tailored to a specific model/trim. Programming is probably the only difference between a Silverado's and a Sonic's ABS, otherwise the functionality and units are probably similar.

Change every constant/variable, and you get surprises. Its fallacious that a street car should know it should be in race slick on a track mode when a few millionths of the percentage of driven time across the model range is using the ABS in race conditions.

Not to say there can't be a race mode ABS, but to think ABS made for snow/ice is even remotely like ABS programming for racing is silly.

Most of em are made by Teves, Bendix, or a few other companies. I'm sure Nippon Denso makes some as well simply because they seem to build an awful lot of high tech parts for asian vehicles.

I know most of the ones I have seen in Chrysler vehicles are Teves (or another company that I find is related to them when I track them back) and the older Jeep systems were Bendix... and cursed with rather fatal flaws that could cause sudden brake system failure and/or fires.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

grover posted:

Street tires today grip as well as the R-comps did just 10 years ago.

No they don't.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Inner pinion bearings are supposed to do this when you pull the pinion out of the housing right?

Chrysler 8.25" 29 spline rearend a friend of mine gave to me for spare parts (I needed some axleshafts.) He knew it had a bad pinion bearing, which is why he took it out of his jeep... but he didn't know it was that bad.

The second I got the pinion knocked loose, it sounded like I dropped a handful of marbles in my oil drain bucket. Turns out it was the bearing race and all the rollers falling out.

I didn't smash it up at all taking it out - that's how it was when it was being driven. It literally just fell the gently caress apart in my hand.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Amazing and horrifying 8 minutes of street cars and motorcycles wiping out on the Nurburgring Nordschleife back in 1970. Engine bays are vomiting up their contents, glass pours out of frames and drivers are ejected like James Bond just pressed his little red button.

The only safety gear present: a condom in the cameraman's wallet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwc54G2Ur8

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slightly less or a bit more speed in that rollover and partial ejection at 0:30 and it would have been fatal. There has to be some deaths that are edited out. Cars sure are a lot safer today. And have better suspension.

Beetle ... rollover
Beetle ... rollover
Beetle ... rollover
Beetle ... rollover
Beetle convertible ... *sharp intake of breath* ... saved it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think 1:05 and 1:25 are my favorite non-crashes.

1:05: sliding around into formation
1:25: accidental two-wheel corner and save

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Ola posted:

Slightly less or a bit more speed in that rollover and partial ejection at 0:30 and it would have been fatal. There has to be some deaths that are edited out. Cars sure are a lot safer today. And have better suspension.

Beetle ... rollover
Beetle ... rollover
Beetle ... rollover
Beetle ... rollover
Beetle convertible ... *sharp intake of breath* ... saved it.

I like the one at 01:36. Its as if the beetle is saying: Move Over I'm Driving! *shove*

And then the one at 01:46 that everyone's like "YOOO CAN DO IT LITTLE BUDDY! COME ON! ALMOST! Awwww.... Poor lil guy." Much like their namesakes, merely flipping them on their backs traps them, unable to self right...

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Ola posted:

They are so much better that a simple rollover accident was removed as "adult major trauma" criteria a few years ago.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MooseChief posted:

They are so much better that a simple rollover accident was removed as "adult major trauma" criteria a few years ago.

I'm really hoping the guy driving that car that caught fire got out in time :( But the roof was crushed to hell.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
While not as gnarly as a Nordschleife rollover, a home-made spark plug socket, complete with embedded hair, is impressive in its own right.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
A surprising number of 911s cooked that corner too. People overestimating their skills in a 911? Never!

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

M4rg4r1ne posted:

While not as gnarly as a Nordschleife rollover, a home-made spark plug socket, complete with embedded hair, is impressive in its own right.

With JB-Weld, I could believe that that is stronger than stock...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Left Ventricle posted:

A surprising number of 911s cooked that corner too. People overestimating their skills in a 911? Never!

Almost everyone way overcompensated for that corner and then rolled it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sponge! posted:

With JB-Weld, I could believe that that is stronger than stock...

I can't imagine it's very easy to change the plug, though :v:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Dick Trauma posted:

Amazing and horrifying 8 minutes of street cars and motorcycles wiping out on the Nurburgring Nordschleife back in 1970. Engine bays are vomiting up their contents, glass pours out of frames and drivers are ejected like James Bond just pressed his little red button.

The only safety gear present: a condom in the cameraman's wallet.
drat, you weren't kidding about no safety gear, not so much as a seatbelt. Amazing number of close calls...

Left Ventricle posted:

Bunch spun out, but they never rolled. Actually, I don't think any actual sports cars rolled in that clip at all.

What's so dangerous about this particular corner at Adenauer Forest that causes so many crashes? I'm trying to recall... is this blind corner that would cause an unawares driver to madly brake and steer while cresting a hill?

Edit: doesn't look all that bad, really. I guess if you enter wrong and get late with too much speed in a top-heavy car with soft suspension, it's a different story...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJj8atDGBzk&t=110s

grover fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 10, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

grover posted:

Actually, I don't think any actual sports cars rolled in that clip at all.

Yeah that's what I meant about the difference in suspension. The street cars seemed to tuck and roll at the tiniest upset.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Adenauer Forst (not forest) is one of the slowest corners on the Nordschleife, so it takes people who aren't used to driving it by surprise.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I'm really hoping the guy driving that car that caught fire got out in time :( But the roof was crushed to hell.

I'd be willing to bet that the car collapsed after burning for a while :911: Most cars from that era don't usually crush/collapse unless they actually hit something, and nobody here was going fast enough to land on the roof while they still have a ton of momentum. And there seems to be a massive informal rescue crew handy.

Modern cars are far safer and more controllable, but these guys also seem to be driving relatively slow (especially the Beetles that keep rolling) by modern standards so barring getting partially ejected and having the car roll onto you, the crashes aren't quite as catastrophic as they could be now.

I think the motto of this racing series was "walk it off, bro" in German. That one cyclist walking up out of the woods after flying like seven yards just blew me away.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Das Volk posted:

Adenauer Forst (not forest) is one of the slowest corners on the Nordschleife, so it takes people who aren't used to driving it by surprise.
Forst is German for forest :eng101:

Point taken, though, I should have used the German name since that's how everyone refers to it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

grover posted:

Street tires today grip as well as the R-comps did just 10 years ago.

A 10 year old tire and a tire that was used 10 years ago are not the same thing.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Are people considered horrible mechanical failures? Here's what's left of the rented 911 Lindsay Lohan crashed into an 18 wheeler 3 days ago:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A 10 year old tire and a tire that was used 10 years ago are not the same thing.
You know that's not what I meant. The state of the art of tire technology has progressed significantly in the last few decades as "the" tire to have is constantly changing with every release of new technology. And not just in compound, but tread design, too. The latest crop of UHP street tires are sticky as hell; if not stickier than r-comps of 10 years ago, they're certainly very close, and you wouldn't have to go back much further. I mean, says a lot when today's street tires can give over 1g grip on the skidpad.

grover fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 10, 2012

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

grover posted:

Are people considered horrible mechanical failures? Here's what's left of the rented 911 Lindsay Lohan crashed into an 18 wheeler 3 days ago:

First she said the truck cut her off, now she says the brakes on an effectively brand new Porsche failed and did nothing when she pressed them. I'm going to say yes, Lindsay Lohan qualifies.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Ola posted:

Yeah that's what I meant about the difference in suspension. The street cars seemed to tuck and roll at the tiniest upset.

Swing axle suspension is bad, mmmkay. It's the only reason people know who Ralph Nader is.
Seriously though, that video is bat poo poo insane. As someone else mentioned, the convertible beetle was a quadruple decapitation waiting to happen. Or maybe a quadruple Gallagher.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 10, 2012

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

XK posted:

First she said the truck cut her off, now she says the brakes on an effectively brand new Porsche failed and did nothing when she pressed them. I'm going to say yes, Lindsay Lohan qualifies.

And the trucker says the bodyguard~etc people who followed her in an Escalade offered to take him straight to the bank for hush money, but he had already called for help.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover posted:

You know that's not what I meant. The state of the art of tire technology has progressed significantly in the last few decades as "the" tire to have is constantly changing with every release of new technology. And not just in compound, but tread design, too. The latest crop of UHP street tires are sticky as hell; if not stickier than r-comps of 10 years ago, they're certainly very close, and you wouldn't have to go back much further. I mean, says a lot when today's street tires can give over 1g grip on the skidpad.

Top of the line UHP tires aren't what most people are going to think of when you say "street tires."

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I'm pretty sure they are when you're comparing them to R-comps. Especially if you're talking to someone who actually knows what a R-comp/DOT-R tire is.

While I hate to agree with Grover on anything RS3s are seemingly accepted to be about as fast as a Nitto NT-01, so we're not even talking about ancient formulas here.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

240k mile Jeep 4.0 with no unusual noises. Ran for ~100 miles over the course of a year (plus 33k normal miles) with no oil in it due to a super leaky rear main seal and forgetful owner (yours truly.)

Only pulled due to the passenger motor mount breaking off the block.

This isn't really a horrible mechanical failure but I'm not sure where else to put it, so you get to look at some copper bearings and sludge.

Scooped out of a recess/oil drain hole between lifter bores:

You know an engine is sludgy when the sludge collects on things that are upside down

And when it collects on things that are sideways (this isn't too bad really I guess)

Yayyyyyy copper bearings! cylinders 6-4

More copper bearings! cylinders 3-1

It's only going to be running a generator, and only when the power is out, so I'm desludging it, throwing new conrod bearings and cam bearings in it, leaving the mains alone (they look fine), re-gasketing it, and giving it a coat of paint.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

It's only going to be running a generator, and only when the power is out, so I'm desludging it, throwing new conrod bearings and cam bearings in it, leaving the mains alone (they look fine), re-gasketing it, and giving it a coat of paint.

How do you rig that up? I would find a few pictures of that process amusing.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

H110Hawk posted:

you can actually buy 120vac generators that bolt on where an A/C compressor normally lives...

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Speaking of engine desludging: Here's a neat couple of videos that show the process. The uploader channel has a few other interesting videos as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC-SxrsgEwo

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

Speaking of engine desludging: Here's a neat couple of videos that show the process. The uploader channel has a few other interesting videos as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC-SxrsgEwo

I like it when he blows compressed air into the head and flings oil bits all over the engine bay.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

I'm building the wiring harness myself (basically paring down and customizing a harness I got off a friend who was parting out a 94 XJ) and using an old automatic trans bellhousing I got for free as the basis for my generator head bracket. The generator head conforms to J609-B w/ the standard taper shaft (it's a 15kw, 18kw surge MeccAlte unit, ACO 3 1LN/2) so I am paying a friend of mine to make a crank flange to J609B adapter shaft. I'd use a smaller, already-J609B motor, but:
* I already have this one and will have about 50 bucks into it plus the harness when I'm done
* a 30hp J609B motor would run me several hundred dollars
* this one means I have 99% of the spare parts I will ever need to keep it running sitting in the yard, as I own 3 of the vehicles the motor came from
* I already know my way around the inside and outside of the motor, and its EFI system, etc

Including the auto transfer switch, brand new generator head, and complete engine + adapter plate/shaft setup, I will end up getting a 15kw constant load generator for under $1000 that I have a complete spare parts collection and hundreds of debugging/repair experience for already.

Once I get a bit closer to done with it I'll probably create a thread for it or post it in my house rebuild thread over in creative convention/DIY.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

I'm building the wiring harness myself (basically paring down and customizing a harness I got off a friend who was parting out a 94 XJ) and using an old automatic trans bellhousing I got for free as the basis for my generator head bracket. The generator head conforms to J609-B w/ the standard taper shaft (it's a 15kw, 18kw surge MeccAlte unit, ACO 3 1LN/2) so I am paying a friend of mine to make a crank flange to J609B adapter shaft. I'd use a smaller, already-J609B motor, but:
* I already have this one and will have about 50 bucks into it plus the harness when I'm done
* a 30hp J609B motor would run me several hundred dollars
* this one means I have 99% of the spare parts I will ever need to keep it running sitting in the yard, as I own 3 of the vehicles the motor came from
* I already know my way around the inside and outside of the motor, and its EFI system, etc

Including the auto transfer switch, brand new generator head, and complete engine + adapter plate/shaft setup, I will end up getting a 15kw constant load generator for under $1000 that I have a complete spare parts collection and hundreds of debugging/repair experience for already.

Once I get a bit closer to done with it I'll probably create a thread for it or post it in my house rebuild thread over in creative convention/DIY.

Please do, that sounds awesome.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

kastein posted:

240k mile Jeep 4.0 with no unusual noises. Ran for ~100 miles over the course of a year (plus 33k normal miles) with no oil in it due to a super leaky rear main seal and forgetful owner (yours truly.)

Comeon.. Its a 4.0.. Fill it with diesel, run it till warm, drain, fill with 6 qts 10w40 and a new filter. Maybe rinse off the outside with a bucket of hot water for your "fancy paint"...

As a generator unit, I imagine it will run until doomsday and beyond even without the "freshening up".

The only other rival would be a ChryCo Slant 6.

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011
My friend's XJ's left rear spring pack, after he followed me through some ruts. The whole pack snapped, and the ratchet straps/block is how I got him home. The slip yoke fell out and tore the pinion yoke apart, too, but I didn't get a photo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I would do that, but it's completely torn down and sitting on some 2x4s in my yard right now :haw:

Anyone know how to decode bearing part numbers to find out what size they are? My con-rod bearings are confusing:
* all of them say 3196697 112 on one end
* all 8 top shells say 8-0 X on the end with the part number, and A28 on the other end
* 3 of the bottom shells say 8-0 X on the end with the part number, and A28 on the other end, just like the top shells
* the other 5 bottom shells say 5-0 X on the end with the part number, and A11 on the other end :psyduck:

I am an engine dumbass what over/undersize are these? They're too wasted to get a good measurement off of with a mic and I only want to buy one, maybe two sets. I'm thinking a STD set and a .001 undersize set.

The only things still in the block are the cam bearings (hurr durr I am a dumbass and don't know how to get them out, so not removing them till my new ones arrive from rockauto) and the pistons/conrods, since I am doing a ghetto block cleanout and don't want to buy a ring compressor. Also, the bores are worn enough that there is a noticeable ridge that the rings wouldn't slide over to push the pistons out the top of the block, so I said screw it and left them in.

I am going to pick up a 55 gallon oil drum to use as a parts washer, put 20 gallons of diesel in it, and rig up my 12V oil pump to spray poo poo off.

I now return this thread to horrible mechanical failures:

friend of a friend decided it was a good idea to break things off with his (ex-)girlfriend via phone call, while she was driving his jeep. He heard the engine revving in the background while she yelled about it and then a BANG.

She apparently didn't realize engine damage was a possibility if you pin the throttle, was stuck at a light, got out and tried to push it out of the intersection by herself, then rolled it over her foot, breaking it, and threw a tantrum in the middle of the intersection. That got her a free trip to jail for disorderly conduct :master:

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

ijustam posted:

I like it when he blows compressed air into the head and flings oil bits all over the engine bay.

He cleans it up at the end. And frankly I don't think the owner would care.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Driving down the road, heard a bang followed by the familiar smell of gear grease.

My samurai decided it had too many parts in the trans. Found all this scattered along the road.

Nothing a little JB weld can't fix (and a generous dollop of silicone later to stop the leaks).

Those rods/pins were apparently unnecessary because its been a couple weeks now of driving it every day and it seems no worse for wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

XK posted:

Duh, it was the ABS ice mode.