Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

movax posted:

Alright, so no idea if the new MBP TNG display is IPS or not, but it's a pants-wetting 2880x1880 display in 15".

That's a weird resolution. Are you sure it isn't 2880x1800? That'd make it double the dimensions for 1440x900.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

unpronounceable posted:

That's a weird resolution. Are you sure it isn't 2880x1800? That'd make it double the dimensions for 1440x900.

:downs: I typo'd, yeah it is 2880x1800.

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL
I've gone back to having problems with my Catleap. I initially thought it was my old GTX460 that was the issue, but now it's making GBS threads itself and fading to black on my new GTX680. It's a problem that's occurred a few times before with others apparently.

I'm going to try and resolve the issue with Green-Sum but should I go with a 27" Dell instead? Or would it be worth trying again (with a different manufacturer)?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Blackclaw posted:

I'm going to try and resolve the issue with Green-Sum but should I go with a 27" Dell instead? Or would it be worth trying again (with a different manufacturer)?
Most people's monitors have been fine, and a 27" Dell is literally three times the price. You decide!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

movax posted:

Alright, so no idea if the new MBP TNG display is IPS or not, but it's a pants-wetting 2880x1880 display in 15".

I literally cannot wait for monitor manufacturers to start pushing for higher DPI screens, I hope this is a good push in that direction.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

I literally cannot wait for monitor manufacturers to start pushing for higher DPI screens, I hope this is a good push in that direction.

Yeah no kidding. I was kind of keeping tabs on WWDC semi-ironically because I don't personally give much of a poo poo about Apple's product line, but using OLEDs in laptops with that kind of DPI is now becoming A Thing, that's kind of exciting :neckbeard:

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Medullah posted:

I knew my future was NOT in sales when I worked at Best Buy and we started carrying this insanely expensive HDMI cable.

I thought it was an April Fools joke...

The reviews on this are hilarious.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah no kidding. I was kind of keeping tabs on WWDC semi-ironically because I don't personally give much of a poo poo about Apple's product line, but using OLEDs in laptops with that kind of DPI is now becoming A Thing, that's kind of exciting :neckbeard:
OLEDs, nope. Just an LCD with an LED backlight.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

wooger posted:

OLEDs, nope. Just an LCD with an LED backlight.

Aw phooey. I thought RETINA DISPLAY besides being a terrible name implied oled. I hate you, Apple.

Still, yay for there finally being a push for higher DPI

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is the Asus VG236H still the go to for gaming? I had a hard time finding a monitor on Tigerdirect from Acer or ASUS with a refresh rate higher than 60 or 85.

e;For reference I'm dumb and it's probably poo poo now since the reviews are from 2010 and I'm poo poo with computers :v:
e2:And here's the computer I'm going to get so I dunno which size monitor will work best with the specs.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1277082&sku=SYX-1113

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 13, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
That computer is a poor value and will have a difficult time reaching even 60 FPS in most modern games.

As for the monitor, it's good if you want a 120Hz or stereoscopic 3D screen, but most folks 'round these parts prefer a higher-quality 60Hz screen instead.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My current computer is about 5 years old and runs Skyrim just fine, the one I'm looking at is practically double all my specs and I'm not going to be too worried about pushing 1,500 FPS :v:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's still a poor value. Take $100 off the CPU, put it on the GPU, and swap the Blu-Ray drive for a DVD-RW and a higher-quality power supply, and then we'd be talking.

But this is really talk for the system building thread.

If you aren't concerned about pushing "1,500 fps," you shouldn't be concerned with a 120Hz monitor. Decide between a $150 1080p screen with a TN panel or a ~$250 Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM. The Ultrasharp looks hella pretty, and if you don't care about that, you might as well save the money over the VG236H. There's little that makes a "gaming monitor" anything but an overpriced cheap monitor unless you're doing S3D or really pushing the pixels.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
No really: a $1000 machine with a geforce 550ti? Not exactly money well spent.

edit: drat, I was slow responding and factory factory got a post in

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Boten Anna posted:

Aw phooey. I thought RETINA DISPLAY besides being a terrible name implied oled. I hate you, Apple.

"Retina display" just means a higher DPI than a normal human eye can resolve at typical viewing distance. Current OLED technology is still susceptible to burn-in, so it's probably not a good idea to put it in a laptop.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Boten Anna posted:

None of the "retina" products have been OLED. They're all just very high resolution IPS LCDs.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Robo Reagan posted:

My current computer is about 5 years old and runs Skyrim just fine, the one I'm looking at is practically double all my specs and I'm not going to be too worried about pushing 1,500 FPS :v:

You're presumably going to be worried about pushing 60 FPS, though, which that machine will still have trouble with. It's an overpowered CPU married to an underpowered GPU. You could get a way better computer for less than that costs.

And as it relates to the monitor, that monitor is made for either stereoscopic 3D or framerates higher than 60 FPS, neither of which that computer will even begin to be able to push.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Thread title is obsolete now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Animal posted:

Thread title is obsolete now.

I was thinking this, but the iPad still has higher DPI, so I assumed that's why it was still left like that.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Don't think any of the mac laptops have IPS displays.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Macbook Pro: The Next Generation has a 15" 2880x1800 IPS display.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
macbook pros are not IPS. Or if they are, they have pretty terrible vertical viewing angles

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

MeruFM posted:

macbook pros are not IPS. Or if they are, they have pretty terrible vertical viewing angles

I think you're not reading the second part. He's referring to the brand new Macbook Pro with the 2880x1800 IPS panel.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

My post asking SWSP to change the title probably got lost in the WWDC thread, I'll just PM him instead/wait for him to see this post.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
So, I used some Monster Screen Cleaner to clean my 24 inch dell monitors. The u2412m with matte finishes. Now there is a ton of streakiness on them. What's the best way to get rid of this (and the best cleaning product to use in the future)?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

MrMoose posted:

So, I used some Monster Screen Cleaner to clean my 24 inch dell monitors. The u2412m with matte finishes. Now there is a ton of streakiness on them. What's the best way to get rid of this (and the best cleaning product to use in the future)?

The monster cleaners are designed for glass finished TVs and contain a wax/plastic compound that is meant to protect those glass covers from smudges and dust. The white streaks you see all over are the waxy/plastic residue.

filtered water and a coffee filter is the way to clean your screen, and the plastic may bond to the anti-glare coating on the monitor and not come out. Might get lucky, might not.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Digital_Jesus posted:

The monster cleaners are designed for glass finished TVs and contain a wax/plastic compound that is meant to protect those glass covers from smudges and dust. The white streaks you see all over are the waxy/plastic residue.

filtered water and a coffee filter is the way to clean your screen, and the plastic may bond to the anti-glare coating on the monitor and not come out. Might get lucky, might not.

Hopefully I can manage to get it out, then.

If not, oh well. At least it is only visible when the screens are off.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There's a new Korean monitor on the block, QNIX, which sports a stand that tilts AND swivels :swoon:: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Qnix-27-LED-Monitor-Full-HD-2560x1440-high-resolution-S-IPS-DVI-dual-link-/200775098203

For 99% of people, the swivel is utterly useless, but in my case, it would make it easier to turn my monitor from being used at my desk to being watched from my bed. It's super tempting to get one to complement my PC Bank, but the reason I like my 27" Acer is because it's only 1920x1080. Ugh, mediocre stands are the worst. :negative:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Josh Lyman posted:

There's a new Korean monitor on the block, QNIX, which sports a stand that tilts AND swivels :swoon:: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Qnix-27-LED-Monitor-Full-HD-2560x1440-high-resolution-S-IPS-DVI-dual-link-/200775098203

I'm not a big fan of the look of this or the PC Bank, just because of the curve on the lower bezel. I already have a VESA mount I can use, so I'm porbably going to try to order a shimian perfect pixel model soon.

That said, I much prefer the look of the crossover - but it seems to be 70 GBP more for a perfect pixel one compared to a shimian.

Anyhow, any reason not to go with this monitor / seller:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Perfect-P...f#ht_9119wt_820

I'm ordering from the UK if that makes a difference, so I'm expecting to get stung for 20% + fees at the very least.

Edit: Does anyone have experience with the Potalion model - I believe it's just a another variation with the same panel.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Perfect-P...#ht_15998wt_820

wooger fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 14, 2012

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

wooger posted:

I'm not a big fan of the look of this or the PC Bank, just because of the curve on the lower bezel. I already have a VESA mount I can use, so I'm porbably going to try to order a shimian perfect pixel model soon.

You seen this? It's a bit cheaper than the shimian, I think, and not as ugly as the PCBANK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pix...=item20c626dcfb

EDIT: son of a bitch

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wooger posted:

I'm not a big fan of the look of this or the PC Bank, just because of the curve on the lower bezel.
I can understand how it might mess with the symmetry and lines, but I honestly don't notice it, probably because that's so far toward the periphery of my view.

quote:

Edit: Does anyone have experience with the Potalion model - I believe it's just a another variation with the same panel.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Perfect-P...#ht_15998wt_820
OCN has a thread on it and they seem to be ok.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Thoughts and opinions on the Asus VW246H? On sale for $174.99 on Amazon.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Harry Privates posted:

Thoughts and opinions on the Asus VW246H? On sale for $174.99 on Amazon.

It's a pretty standard 1080p 24" TN panel. The price isn't bad, but there's nothing really special about it.

In the same price range, I'd probably go for the VS229H-P instead; it's also 1080p, and 21.5", but it uses an IPS panel. It's also a bit cheaper from Amazon right now. But, it's up to you whether you'd prefer IPS or a physically larger panel.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

It's a pretty standard 1080p 24" TN panel. The price isn't bad, but there's nothing really special about it.

In the same price range, I'd probably go for the VS229H-P instead; it's also 1080p, and 21.5", but it uses an IPS panel. It's also a bit cheaper from Amazon right now. But, it's up to you whether you'd prefer IPS or a physically larger panel.

But for a 24" monitor could I do better for the same price? I'm mostly looking for that 24" size.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I just bought a Dell U2711 based on what I read in this thread and I am extremely pleased with my purchase! Word-up to the OP and everyone in this thread!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I have no idea where to ask this question but this thread seems like the best fit.

I have an nVidia 8800gtx in the PC. It also has some lovely GeForce 6 or something built in but I disabled it because it was a train wreck. unfortunately the built in had all these nice outputs on its own expansion slot board thing. you know what I mean. It had 4 pin SVideo, component and composite out.

the GTX only has a couple of DVI connectors and a 7 pin mini DIN output.

Now what I would love is an RGB component out from that 7 pin. I see cables on eBay advertised as just that but I have my doubts and think they are just normal component. My question is, what are they? i don't know enough about the internals of the card to know if a short or resistor or something can trigger a mode change in some of the pins so I have no idea if they are for other cards, mislabelled or actually do what I want.

On failing that I suppose 4 pin SVideo is adequate, well more precisely 7 pin -> Luma and chroma RCA if I can get the 7 pin plug somewhere.

I want to drive one of my Commodore 1084DS monitors as an extra head and if one of the potential card outputs was RGBS or some variant @ 15khz I'd be over the freaking moon.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Josh Lyman posted:

I can understand how it might mess with the symmetry and lines, but I honestly don't notice it, probably because that's so far toward the periphery of my view.

OCN has a thread on it and they seem to be ok.

Thanks for you help guys, I went for the Potalion I linked to above - fingers crossed.

Now I just need to buy a new graphics card to run it.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

Would this be a good monitor to watch movies in 1080p and hook up an xbox to? If so, I'll definitely order it this weekend.

If there is anything about my comp you need to know let me know because I don't want to buy it only to find out it does not work on my computer.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

General_Failure posted:

I have no idea where to ask this question but this thread seems like the best fit.

I have an nVidia 8800gtx in the PC. It also has some lovely GeForce 6 or something built in but I disabled it because it was a train wreck. unfortunately the built in had all these nice outputs on its own expansion slot board thing. you know what I mean. It had 4 pin SVideo, component and composite out.

the GTX only has a couple of DVI connectors and a 7 pin mini DIN output.

Now what I would love is an RGB component out from that 7 pin. I see cables on eBay advertised as just that but I have my doubts and think they are just normal component. My question is, what are they? i don't know enough about the internals of the card to know if a short or resistor or something can trigger a mode change in some of the pins so I have no idea if they are for other cards, mislabelled or actually do what I want.

On failing that I suppose 4 pin SVideo is adequate, well more precisely 7 pin -> Luma and chroma RCA if I can get the 7 pin plug somewhere.

I want to drive one of my Commodore 1084DS monitors as an extra head and if one of the potential card outputs was RGBS or some variant @ 15khz I'd be over the freaking moon.

The component output on those cards is YPbPr, not RGB. If you want RGB, pull it out of the DVI connector. You might even be able to get away with pre-made adapter cables; I know you can still buy DB9-to-VGA adapters that use the "digital mode" pinout listed on this page. No guarantees on the sync frequency, of course; good luck with that.

If you want S-video, just plug the cable directly into the video card. Nvidia cards of that generation were designed to have direct S-video output, along with extra pins to break out YPbPr component.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

The component output on those cards is YPbPr, not RGB. If you want RGB, pull it out of the DVI connector. You might even be able to get away with pre-made adapter cables; I know you can still buy DB9-to-VGA adapters that use the "digital mode" pinout listed on this page. No guarantees on the sync frequency, of course; good luck with that.

If you want S-video, just plug the cable directly into the video card. Nvidia cards of that generation were designed to have direct S-video output, along with extra pins to break out YPbPr component.

That's what I thought. Thanks for that. Looks like all I need to do is find a male 7 pin to utilize for my purposes. I just need to break it out to a couple of RCA connectors and I'm good because the Commodore 1084x and 1802 both have support for the Commodore 64. Well, the 1802 was made for it but you know what I mean. The C=64 natively output luma and chroma signals which happen to be close enough to SVideo that it's possible with an adapter to connect a C=64 to more modern screens via SVideo or to connect things with an SVideo output to a Commodore monitor.
Just telling people who don't know.
I know they are archaic and obsolete now but they are still kickass CRTs and when I stoop to emulation at least it can look more or less right.

Sure I could see if the card can be driven at 15KHz HSync and try going via the DVI connector, but I don't really want to because if something screws with the registers it's scrabble for the monitor power button time if the hsync changes.