Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Transistor Rhythm posted:

In the middle of all of this new stuff...how is this time for buying a new iMac? Does this mean that iMacs won't be refreshed until this time next year? I'm not worried about holding out for a retina display on one or anything, and my early-2008 model is getting pretty long in the tooth considering I use it around the clock for audio recording and video editing as well. I'm looking at the current refurbs, which don't seem to offer great savings over just going new, but would this be a bad time to invest in a new machine?
The big benefit would be USB 3.0 - otherwise, all you're going to gain is a few % faster CPU and maybe a faster video card. I'm going to be order a pair of new iMacs for some developers here next week. I don't think they will wait until next year to upgrade them, but we can't wait. One guy is using his home computer and the other is using one of the first aluminum iMac models.

blastron posted:

Ugh, the Mac Pro "upgrade" was not at all what I was hoping for. I've got a 2008 Pro that I use for music writing/coding/gaming and it's starting to show its age. I need the desktop so that I can cram it full of video cards, as I run an enormous three-monitor setup, and also to take advantage of the huge number of cores, since I tend to write a lot of parallelized code.
You only get 4 cores (8 with hyper-threading) on an i7 iMac, but you can run 2 additional monitors off it. That's 3 total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

tuna posted:

I actually did get 16gb! Which is why I'm surprised it has shipped so quick for a full on custom specced one.

Guess what, I got one with BTO options too and it shipped also. I honestly wouldn't expect BTO to mean that some Foxconn person goes for a session with a soldering iron and actually makes these things after an order comes in. I'd expect them to have most of these combinations ready to go from some pile of boxes marked with the modifications. Unless they estimated the demand wrong, it shouldn't take more time to ship BTO ones compared to stock ones.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Bob Morales posted:

The big benefit would be USB 3.0 - otherwise, all you're going to gain is a few % faster CPU and maybe a faster video card. I'm going to be order a pair of new iMacs for some developers here next week. I don't think they will wait until next year to upgrade them, but we can't wait. One guy is using his home computer and the other is using one of the first aluminum iMac models.

Good point - I think either way, even an early '11 refurb, I'm going to see a huge upgrade over my C2D '08 model. I had been holding out for a Thunderbolt to FW800 solution, as I rely on several FW devices still.

I suppose I'll be back in a bit to ask about whether i7 is a worthy upgrade over i5.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

flavor posted:

Guess what, I got one with BTO options too and it shipped also. I honestly wouldn't expect BTO to mean that some Foxconn person goes for a session with a soldering iron and actually makes these things after an order comes in. I'd expect them to have most of these combinations ready to go from some pile of boxes marked with the modifications. Unless they estimated the demand wrong, it shouldn't take more time to ship BTO ones compared to stock ones.

Damnit, I guess I was just late to the game or something. or ordering the ethernet adapter set me back. Oh well. Already sold my 13" MBP and I can live for a little while without it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a good way to get a USB external hard drive that I've been using for Time Machine to go wireless? I used a desktop before, and in about 2 weeks I'll be getting my MBPR in, and the only thing that would be attached to it would be that backup. Is that what the Airport Express is for? Looking at it's page, it looks like it's a full router, and I already have a decent one I don't have any reasons to replace it for yet. I was going to turn my old desktop (Hackintosh) into a file server, but I doubt it would be able to handle Apple's requirements, just in terms of likely being NTFS formatted just to be read by Windows 7.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Does anyone here have a home NAS that works seamlessly with OS X for media, etc?

I'm itching to get a MBPTNG, but I can't justify upgrading the SSD. I've always liked having massive hard drives so I can carry all my media around with me, but perhaps the time has come to push that off the laptop and onto a NAS.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

IUG posted:

Is there a good way to get a USB external hard drive that I've been using for Time Machine to go wireless? Is that what the Airport Express is for? Looking at it's page, it looks like it's a full router, and I already have a decent one I don't have any reasons to replace it for yet.

You get to choose Airport Express's mode upon setup. You could have it essentially join the network, hangout and host your drive (and maybe audio). Even over Back To My Mac from another Mac on the net. However, I wouldn't trust your data to a feature that's not officially supported in case you get locked out or it corrupts your stuff. I've even tried the "Mac"-friendly Netgear routers with semi-official Time Machine support over USB and it has corrupted my TM backups. If you want it hassle free on wireless, get Time Capsule, even if used. I use that now, bought from an SA goon, and it hasn't failed yet. It's not even my fail-safe, but it's great for incremental and mindless.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

blastron posted:

Ugh, the Mac Pro "upgrade" was not at all what I was hoping for.

Apparently Apple thinks the same way and took the little "new" notifier off the Mac Pro on their store page.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Lexicon posted:

Does anyone here have a home NAS that works seamlessly with OS X for media, etc?

I'm itching to get a MBPTNG, but I can't justify upgrading the SSD. I've always liked having massive hard drives so I can carry all my media around with me, but perhaps the time has come to push that off the laptop and onto a NAS.

I use the WDTV live hub. Worksflawlessly.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Some benchmarks were put on Macrumors (I know there were some in the past, but there are some now as well):

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/benchmarks-for-mid-2012-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air/

Seems like a pretty good increase in performance for the Airs, right?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Astro7x posted:

Apparently Apple thinks the same way and took the little "new" notifier off the Mac Pro on their store page.

Hah! I think people who really needed an Mac Pro update are pretty pissed about that one. But then again, Tim Cook pretty much stated that the Mac Pro will have a proper soon and that the new procs were because Intel killed the older ones.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/12/andy-hertzfeld-the-only-thing-thats-still-high-end-about-mac-pro-is-the-bloated-price/

ptier fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 12, 2012

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

KingEup posted:

I use the WDTV live hub. Worksflawlessly.

Cool, seems like a decent product. One thing I can't tell from the spec sheets and reviews is how it interfaces with OS X. Can it act as a NFS server?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ptier posted:

Hah! I think people who really needed an Mac Pro update are pretty pissed about that one. But then again, Tim Cook pretty much stated that the Mac Pro will have a proper soon and that the new procs were because Intel killed the older ones.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/12/andy-hertzfeld-the-only-thing-thats-still-high-end-about-mac-pro-is-the-bloated-price/

What's the big deal about updating the MacPro though? We're not asking for a redesign of the casing, or a smaller form factor. Why do people need to wait 3+ years for USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt? I think it's ridiculous that Apple sells Thunderbolt displays but you can't use them with their high end Mac Pro. While I'm personally not in the market for a Mac Pro (January 2008 model still going strong!) at work we could use a new workstation and it feels stupid to buy 2 year old technology.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Astro7x posted:

What's the big deal about updating the MacPro though? We're not asking for a redesign of the casing, or a smaller form factor. Why do people need to wait 3+ years for USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt? I think it's ridiculous that Apple sells Thunderbolt displays but you can't use them with their high end Mac Pro. While I'm personally not in the market for a Mac Pro (January 2008 model still going strong!) at work we could use a new workstation and it feels stupid to buy 2 year old technology.

Same reason why they had to take people off of OSX to make iOS 3. Effort and resources. It doesn't make very much money for them so there are not many resources working on redesigning the product would be my guess.

And it probably doesn't give Jony Ive a boner. :dong:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ptier posted:

Same reason why they had to take people off of OSX to make iOS 3. Effort and resources. It doesn't make very much money for them so there are not many resources working on redesigning the product would be my guess.

And it probably doesn't give Jony Ive a boner. :dong:

I guess you're right, if there is not enough to make a video about the update backed by Florance and the Machine or Coldplay, then it's not really worth updating yet.

EvilCoolAidMan
Jun 26, 2008

Astro7x posted:

I guess you're right, if there is not enough to make a video about the update backed by Florance and the Machine or Coldplay, then it's not really worth updating yet.

Which is bullshit, just give us new internal hardware the case is just fine!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The concept of Apple not having enough resources for anything is just mind boggling.

It's that the Mac Pro isn't profitable enough to justify them allocating the resources, or that they just don't care about that market enough

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There's QA, getting updated info to the stores, logistics involving production, shipping, you have to get the web page updated for the store...

Everyone is now going to busy on the 13" next gen MB, iPhone 5, and who knows what else.

They can just randomly update them one day if they want. But waiting until 2013 is just dumb.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

sellouts posted:

The concept of Apple not having enough resources for anything is just mind boggling.

It's that the Mac Pro isn't profitable enough to justify them allocating the resources, or that they just don't care about that market enough

It seems to me that they are making a mistake from a PR/Marketing standpoint though in giving the impression that they don't care about the Pro market. I know they make boatloads more money from iOS devices and consumer laptops, but a lot of the enthusiasm for this stuff filters down from nerds like us and the Marco Arment types. Seems like an oversight.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

That, and why bother pretending/trying to make "pro" level software (which is sort of a joke at this point as well) when there's no "pro" level hardware to use it on. I'm glad I don't rely on any OSX-only DCC applications for my work with Apple's track record on this sort of stuff.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I'm a bit turned off by the idea that employees at the brick and mortar Apple Store have no bloody idea when MBP:TNG are going to arrive. Web purchase indicates 2-3 weeks, but waiting "a day or two" for physical boxes might mean having to deal with a buyers rush at the store, etc.

Also: is it planned that the TNG will be able to be intermediately configured? I'd love 2.6 under the hood but don't need to spend the extra on double the storage.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 12, 2012

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

It's possible they want to wait for Ivy Bridge Xeons (provided they don't get delayed like Sandy Bridge did) and the theoretical power/heat improvements those are supposed to be bringing before they do a full case redesign. I also sort of vaguely remember reading about 18 months ago that they were prototyping a smaller design that could be turned on its side and rackmounted into a 2U enclosure.

They also might be waiting on the Kepler-based Tesla Cards from Nvidia as from what I've been reading, the standard Kepler-based GeForce cards have fairly poor CUDA performance which matters to some of the intended market of the Mac Pro.

hamza
Mar 3, 2007

strangemusic posted:

I'm a bit turned off by the idea that employees at the brick and mortar Apple Store have no bloody idea when MBP:TNG are going to arrive. Web purchase indicates 2-3 weeks, but waiting "a day or two" for physical boxes might mean having to deal with a buyers rush at the store, etc.

Also: is it planned that the TNG will be able to be intermediately configured? I'd love 2.6 under the hood but don't need to spend the extra on double the storage.

Remember the iPad 2 launch? Lines on opening, shipments of 3 or 4 every other day, employees totally in the dark about shipments, etc.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

strangemusic posted:

Stores around the Bay Area have gotten a...few...in today. Like, sometimes 3 or 4 that sell out instantly.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Do most Apple Stores have demo units of the retina Macbook Pro available to look at? I don't want one, I just want to go in and gawk.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Man it's gonna be a long 2 weeks waiting for my new MBP.

Went with the 2.3Ghz 16GB option. :unsmith:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

drat it, everyone has me second guessing my 8gb decision.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Comrade Flynn posted:

Don't second guess on account of me. I'll be running virtual instances of Server 2k8 / Win 7 / Win XP. Mines a giant testing box on the go.

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

Comrade Flynn posted:

Going to be ordering the base RMBP later tonight, was just curious is it hard to upgrade later it later with the fancy new insides? $200 seems like a lot was just curious if the DDR3 "L" is priced decent for double the ram

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Digital_Jesus posted:

Don't second guess on account of me. I'll be running virtual instances of Server 2k8 / Win 7 / Win XP. Mines a giant testing box on the go.

Same, as long as I am going to be deving out on this thing, might as well give it all the ram it can take for my VMs.

Eelface posted:

Going to be ordering the base RMBP later tonight, was just curious is it hard to upgrade later it later with the fancy new insides? $200 seems like a lot was just curious if the DDR3 "L" is priced decent for double the ram

Its soldered on so, you get to make the choice now or never.

ptier fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 12, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

At this point we don't even know if the memory is removable or if nevermind ^^^^ it's soldered to the board, but honestly for a 16GB kit of 1333, $200 isn't too bad.

Buying it yourself would cost you $100-$120, plus the time to take the fucker apart, and probably voiding your warranty if apple wants to keep these things non-user upgradable.

ptier posted:

Same, as long as I am going to be deving out on this thing, might as well give it all the ram it can take for my VMs.

Have you used Fusion 4 yet? I haven't had the chance. Whats the max number of VMs you can have running at one time?

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 12, 2012

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Digital_Jesus posted:

At this point we don't even know if the memory is removable or if it's soldered to the board, but honestly for a 16GB kit of 1333, $200 isn't too bad.

Buying it yourself would cost you $100-$120, plus the time to take the fucker apart, and probably voiding your warranty if apple wants to keep these things non-user upgradable.

Have you used Fusion 4 yet? I haven't had the chance. Whats the max number of VMs you can have running at one time?

Yea, but I haven't been running lots of VMs. I remember back in the 3 days I had like 3-4 running at once without issue. Didn't need much more than that and it was poo poo slow with 4GB of ram and 500GB 5400RPM HD.

EDIT: from the article where I pulled that picture:

ExtremeTech posted:

Perhaps more importantly, this is the first time Apple has used an IPS display in a MacBook Pro. As a result, contrast ratios are significantly higher (892 vs. 587 for the 2011 MacBookPro), and black levels are down to 0.38 cd/m2 from 0.68. Viewing angles are also expected to be much improved. While the new MBP still has a glossy display, Apple has apparently reduced glare and reflections by up to 75%. Early reports suggest that the screen is almost matte-like in its reflectiveness, while still being glossy. (In the photographic world, we’d call this “luster,” I guess.) It will be interesting to see if the lower brightness combined with less glare make this laptop more or less usable outside.

The new Matte-Glossy hybrid. All ail our new pred-alien overlords.

ptier fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 12, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Alright. Thats good. I'll probably be running 3-4 instances of Server 2k8 and Win7 XP all at the same time, so that shouldn't be too bad.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Digital_Jesus posted:

At this point we don't even know if the memory is removable or if nevermind ^^^^ it's soldered to the board, but honestly for a 16GB kit of 1333, $200 isn't too bad.

I've currently got an early '11 MBP with a 256GB SSD and 16GB of RAM and I've had no problems running 6 VMs (Server 2008R2, Lion Server, Lion, Windows 7, CentOS and pfsense) at the same time while developing a Magic Triangle proof of concept for work. The best thing about virtualising off an SSD is that there's no seek time so you can just spin up VMs until you run out of space/RAM with little to no performance impact.

Also if you're planning on virtualising Windows 8/Server 12, check out the VMware Fusion Tech Preview. It's currently free to use but I think Fusion's only $50 anyway.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

poo poo, bookmarked. I'll give it a whirl when the new mbp gets in, but I'm making my company pay for fusion 4 either way.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
In case nobody's noticed, the 2011 refurbs have been cut a little bit. $994.03 (after tax for me) for a 2011 13" Air. The 11" models are even lower. That ought to sting the Windows Ultrabook market a little. Kind of has me conflicted. Buy the 2012 Air or just grab one of the 2011 refurbs. Not much more than a $150 difference. Besides USB 3.0, HD 4000 and Ivy Bridge, of course.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Man it's gonna be a long 2 weeks waiting for my new MBP.

Went with the 2.3Ghz 16GB option. :unsmith:
When I selected the 768GB flash drive, the ship time went up to 3-5 weeks. :argh:

yAak
Oct 28, 2011

Dr. Wang posted:

In case nobody's noticed, the 2011 refurbs have been cut a little bit. $994.03 (after tax for me) for a 2011 13" Air. The 11" models are even lower. That ought to sting the Windows Ultrabook market a little. Kind of has me conflicted. Buy the 2012 Air or just grab one of the 2011 refurbs. Not much more than a $150 difference. Besides USB 3.0, HD 4000 and Ivy Bridge, of course.

These new Air benchmarks may, or may not help you make a decision:
http://www.primatelabs.com/blog/2012/06/macbook-air-pro-benchmarks/

Apparently the Geekbench values are linear, so, 2x the benchmark number = 2x the "performance."

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Wang posted:

Maybe it's just me, but relatively commonplace high-speed IO-- which TB is not-- is totally worth $150 more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?
Im looking at the tech specs page for the retina MBP and I'm kind of confused.

It says "Native Mini DisplayPort Output" but right over that it says "Thunderbolt digital video output". Am I going to be able to reuse the Mini DisplayPort -> DVI adapter I have or will I have to buy a new adapter?