Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Tippis posted:

I slightly related news, some guy is failing spectacularly at collecting $40k for a Sierra documentary.

The sad thing is that I'd probably really like to see something like that — nerd history docus such as Get Lamp and BBS The Documentary are hugely fun — but wow, that sales pitch just… wasn't there. Maybe someone should poke Jason Scott and see if he could make another one about a non-text-based topic for once. :D

Check out Part 3 of Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution. The book is a real interesting read and Part 3 is all about old school game programmer stuff including Sierra. Might be right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

NINbuntu 64 posted:

What pitch video? It's just a bunch of clips from Sierra games with next to no context or information about what the documentary even is. If he can't convey an idea in his pitch, I don't see why anyone would trust him to do so in a documentary.
Exactly. My threshold for throwing money at this kind of idea is very low, being both fond of documentaries and of the old Sierra, but with the amount of effort that went into that presentation (viz. none), you know that 39 of those 40k are already billed as “beer money”.

TwoDayLife posted:

Check out Part 3 of Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution. The book is a real interesting read and Part 3 is all about old school game programmer stuff including Sierra. Might be right up your alley.
Interesting. Definitely seems worth checking out. Still, if someone with a bit more sense than whomever is behind that KS project could pick up the idea and make it credible, the history of Sierra, from Softcore Adventure to (say) Half-Life could be spectacularly fun to watch.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
In the comments the guy says that they're going to retry the kickstarter using clips of the interviews they've done after they finish filming.

Seems like that would've been the prudent way to start things, but I still don't know that it'd get funded.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tippis posted:

Exactly. My threshold for throwing money at this kind of idea is very low, being both fond of documentaries and of the old Sierra, but with the amount of effort that went into that presentation (viz. none), you know that 39 of those 40k are already billed as “beer money”.

Interesting. Definitely seems worth checking out. Still, if someone with a bit more sense than whomever is behind that KS project could pick up the idea and make it credible, the history of Sierra, from Softcore Adventure to (say) Half-Life could be spectacularly fun to watch.

Beer Money... That's brilliant, someone could use the idea of a documentary on local microbreweries as a cover for a Fund My Life Kickstarter. Can't bill drinks as reference material for a video game documentary.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Got my Xenonauts Desura key, I'm pretty happy. Looks like I know what I'm going to be doing this afternoon.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

SquadronROE posted:

Got my Xenonauts Desura key, I'm pretty happy. Looks like I know what I'm going to be doing this afternoon.

Do the people who are playing this game in beta (alpha?) feel like they will miss out on much new game sheen when it releases? I usually tend to think games which are primarily multiplayer or sandbox focussed don't lose anything if I play the beta, but other stuff can spoil it.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Personally, I'm not thinking so. The draw for this game, for me, isn't that this is an innovative new design. It's precisely the opposite.

Xenonauts tries to capture a game style that has been done in the past, that of UFO Defense. Since I've played that game about a dozen times in the past, I don't see any reason why playing Xenonauts a few more times will cause any sort of burnout. It'll be fun to watch the product evolve as well.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So the Tex Murphy Kickstarter is down to 34 hours remaining now.

They've reached their main goal and their first 2 stretch goals. Only question left is if they can make the 34k left until their last stretch goal (which puts more content and a golf minigame in)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
The latest bid for big bucks goes up, and it's... a M.U.L.E re-boot.

Interesting-ish looking, though never played the original.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Shalinor posted:

It's the foundation of most strategy games and definitely worth a loot. I was almost counting the days until a MULE reboot showed up on Kickstarter.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Shalinor posted:

Well you totally can right this second! http://www.planetmule.com/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
MULE was a loving awesome game and has quite possibly the best box art ever.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

MULE was a loving awesome game and has quite possibly the best box art ever.

Okay, now I'm really tempted to throw them :10bux:, just because of that art.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 14, 2012

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Shalinor posted:

Paging me a few pages ago ... a half million, really? Watching the pitch now ...

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I never played MULE, but from that pitch video it looks quite a bit like the farmer management of Agricola matched with the tile control from Catan, does that sound about right?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The original mastermind behind the game died about 15 years ago, so that is automatically one strike against their infinite nostalgia funding. Too bad, Bunten/Berry seems to have been on paper one of the most visionary/technology-pushing game developers ever.

Edit: Huh, I spoke too soon; I had never heard about Dani working on a remake before her death. That certainly makes this whole thing more promising.

Curious that this Kickstarter does not mention that technically Dani Berry was the one given the awards mentioned for Dan Bunten, but I imagine that is more helping work with nostalgia than any kind of whitewashing. But I suppose seeing that the developer's children who actively try to deny Dani's existence are involved with the project, it makes sense. I suppose Dani did sort of regret her decision near the end of her life, but, bleh. This is all very complicated.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 15, 2012

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

http://www.indiegogo.com/misandryinvideogames?c=home

welp

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Absolutely nothing wrong with this assuming it's not a terrible cashgrab and the people behind it have some sort of credentials. At making videos of some sort. And not just credentials of any sort.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
A bunch of guys trying very hard to pretend that they DON'T want to be Commander Sheppard, or Nico, or Sam Fisher. Not even a little.

loving assholes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm amused that they're using Indiegogo. "We're asking for X thousand... but we'll still keep the five hundred you guys send to us instead!"

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

YOURFRIEND posted:

Absolutely nothing wrong with this assuming it's not a terrible cashgrab and the people behind it have some sort of credentials. At making videos of some sort. And not just credentials of any sort.

Given that it almost certainly came from this thread on 4chan...well.

Sadly(?) the thread is now gone, but Cross Contaminant was kind enough to collect some quotes which neatly encompass misogyny, anti-semitism, homophobia, male privilege, and allcaps screaming, which I believe is bingo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They're just going to use that money for booze and hookers, no doubt.

I hope the money stops at $1337.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I feel like the dudes they chose to put in their pitch are actually pretty varied. Is that just me?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

quote:

• The Musclebeast: Why are all men 7 foot roided up killing machines?
  • Mr Emotionless McStonefaced
  • Cannon fodder
  • The Fat Comedic Sidekick
  • Gender incompetence: Mums commonly portrayed as the smart, clever one whilst the father is a bumbling fool.
  • Men are always protecting women, sacrificing themselves for women’s sake.
  • Men are ALWAYS the heroic ones, pressuring modern day men into thinking they have to be, as well, alpha heroic males. This sets a standard men can’t obtain.
  • The “Average Joe” as the bad guy, and the “Macho Man” as the hero.
  • Men as sex symbols
  • Double standards- Why is it okay to see women killing men, but the other way around is met with criticism?
  • Sexuality stereotypes or “All gay men are flamboyant” - Or a gay man’s sexuality is his entire character!

If this goes anywhere, it's going to be a horrendously offensive trainwreck. Not that it isn't already.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

I'm amused that they're using Indiegogo. "We're asking for X thousand... but we'll still keep the five hundred you guys send to us instead!"
In fairness, they're using fixed-funding which is the same model as Kickstarter.

At the same time... they're blatantly not going to reach their goal, and I wouldn't be surprised if Indiegogo lets you silently flip the switch from "fixed funding" to "cash grab".

e:

quote:

Men as sex symbols
ahahahahahahahah yeah let's see you pull that rabbit out of your hat

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Actually they plan to just take all the money and give it to charity and then make the videos on no money... you know, to shows those GIRLS you dont need money to make a video cause MEN can do it cheap or some retarded bullshit.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

It's just those fuckoffs from 4chan who were talking about making a Kickstarter and then spending next-to-no effort on the video and then giving the rest to charity to "show those women how silly they are."

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Bieeardo posted:

They're using fixed funding and one of the bullet point tropes is:
"Sexuality stereotypes or “All gay men are flamboyant” - Or a gay man’s sexuality is his entire character!"
so maybe there's hope that this is serious. On the other hand:
"Creating videos for Youtube is hardly an expensive practice, so we feel that demanding money for what should be an altruistic venture is a morally reprehensible thing to do. Especially when there are so many great causes that DON'T get the attention and funding they deserve."
this makes me think it's just a spiteful response to the the kickstarter.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I feel like the dudes they chose to put in their pitch are actually pretty varied. Is that just me?
I see lots of burly bald white dudes.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Hah, of course they aren't even touching on the truly damaging issues that are associated with the representation of men in videogames. No, that'd just be loving crazy.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Crosscontaminant posted:

At the same time... they're blatantly not going to reach their goal,

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they did. 3.3k in 45 days gives plenty of time for the money to drip in. I'd honestly donate myself if I thought it would actually be an interesting discussion, but this loving poo poo...

quote:

Creating videos for Youtube is hardly an expensive practice, so we feel that demanding money for what should be an altruistic venture is a morally reprehensible thing to do. Especially when there are so many great causes that DON'T get the attention and funding they deserve.

is just goddamn childish. gently caress you guys.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I see lots of burly bald white dudes.

Well I mean you have the sociopathic Kratos, generally good guy Isaac, and dude with a ton of inner conflict Niko. and the completely forgettable leader guy from GoW.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Do a lot of people just instantly dismiss IndieGoGo on the assumption everyone uses Flexible Funding?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Mug posted:

Do a lot of people just instantly dismiss IndieGoGo on the assumption everyone uses Flexible Funding?
Yes.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Mug posted:

For the most part, yes. It makes sense for countries that can't use Kickstarter, but I don't see the appeal outside of that.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

That's a real shame, IndieGoGo is the only decent option for non-Americans, that stigma must really put a dint in it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

And one for the Orks

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This is the absolute best ks of all time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, until you get to the passive-aggressive attack on the Female Tropes Kickstarter, it actually sounds about 80% like an interesting project. I was particularly hopeful (briefly) when they discussed critiquing the idea of men as always the hero/rescuing women, since that would be an obvious area of overlap with its gender-mirror image.

But, well, that is probably instead going to be an excuse to say something so offensive I will not even see it coming.

Edit: Oh. That is amazing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Boy, are people going to be disappointed when they find out that the DAKKA they got is just a metal box filled with bullets and only Orks can use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

quote:

Warlord Gromug is an ork warboss and socio-economic spectator who has an over-inflated sense of self-entitlement. He uses his meagre following to launch ill-fated attacks against Imperium space, as well as providing an important and fresh insight into modern pop culture. His videos are used as educational tools in classrooms and are screened at conferences and film festivals [citation needed]. He claims to speak internationally and lots of other things that appear to have no basis in truth.

ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ.

Hah. He is also from "Orkney, UK."