Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Nostrum posted:

Laphroaig is my favorite so I just picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16yr which, quite frankly, blows Laphroaig's claim of "the most richly flavored scotch whisky" right out of the water. It's not as smokey (but it's still very smokey and peaty) but drat it is full-bodied. You can almost chew on it.
Just to offer a counterpoint, Laphroaig is unquestionably my favorite distillery, but I felt let down by Lagavulin 16, preferring Ardbeg's offerings over it for a similar-but-different whisky. I didn't really see a lot of the things people describe in Lagavulin, it was flat and less overwhelming than Laphroaig to me.

edit: Caol Ila was another that I enjoyed a lot for a similar Islay peaty/smoky sort of whisky. If you're looking outside Islay, the one distillery that stood out to me (and I'm sort of underwhelmed by non-Islay whiskies generally) was Highland Park, which I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I'll go with the JW Red. Probably saved me a few bucks, and since it's going to a party, I'd say its likely the whole thing will be drained anyway. I'll save the good stuff for me!

I would go with Famous Grouse because in my mind there is pretty much no reason to go with JW red, ever. It's got the name but not the quality while Grouse is also half decent a whisky.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I would reccomend Lagavulin as well, but to move away from Islay theres always Talisker and Highland Park to consider.

I would reccomend

Highland Park 12 year old

Talisker 18 year old (Althought the 10 year old is also excellent and much cheaper/available)

Or you could go for the mystery malt that is Smokehead I tried this at the whiskey festival and it was very nice indeed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Paramemetic posted:

Also, I grabbed a bottle of Evan Williams to try as a utility bourbon, it's quite good for the price.

1783 was my "utility bourbon" until I tried Fighting Cock which blows it out of the water. Give it a try.

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

kiteless, master, teach me.

Paramemetic posted:

The thing about Drambuie is it's quite potent, and it's going to remove the complexity of pretty much anything you put it with. I'd go with Johnny Walker Red for this. Red is specifically meant for mixing, whereas Black is supposedly their bottom-tier blend meant for drinking neat. Drambuie will pair well with pretty much any whisky, as it's essentially a whisky/honey/spice liqueur. You might also consider the Famous Grouse, or Black Grouse if you want to upscale it a bit.

Also, I grabbed a bottle of Evan Williams to try as a utility bourbon, it's quite good for the price. Fairly complex, with a taste I'm not used to, but can't place. I'm assuming it's related to the sour mash aging. It's not bad at all, but it's not the same as the other bourbons I drink routinely (Russell's Reserve, Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, Maker's). I'm keen though for the price, and seeing as I bought it for utility, it's definitely worth it. Should make for good old fashioneds, and without regret based on the price, though I'm currently enjoying it on rocks after trying it neat. First impressions, and all that.

Drambui is primarily angelica and whiskey and wiki says honey, but I simply dont believe it, when I am tasting it. I feel it is just plain ol' sugar. It is possible however that the angelica is masking the honey aroma. Angelica is amazingly powerful smelling.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Reading this thread while at work is a bad idea; all I want to do is make an Old Fashioned and sit at my desk and plow through some work. For some reason I feel like I'd be more productive...Management probably wouldn't agree.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Does enjoying Old Fashioneds made with a proper (Luxardo) maraschino cherry make me a bad persion? :ohdear:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Mr. Glass posted:

Does enjoying Old Fashioneds made with a proper (Luxardo) maraschino cherry make me a bad persion? :ohdear:

Yes and no; it depends on if you crush that sucker up or if you place it on top as fanciful garnish... In my opinion, the cherry should simply be garnish.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Mr. Glass posted:

No, drink what you like, how you like it. Some purists may give you a hard time about it, but why let other people control what you like? There's nothing you can do to please everyone.

You may also want to look at Jeffrey Morgenthaler's excellent Brandy Old Fashioned recipe:
http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2012/brandy-old-fashioned/

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I have never had an old fashioned, is it always Burbon? I only have single malts. But I do have sugar syrup.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Aramoro posted:

I have never had an old fashioned, is it always Burbon? I only have single malts. But I do have sugar syrup.

The "classic" Old Fashioned is with burbon (or whiskey) but there are variants today that use other spirits; example: A Vodka Old Fashioned

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

GramCracker posted:

example: A Vodka Old Fashioned

ugh what is the point of that :psyduck:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Mr. Glass posted:

ugh what is the point of that :psyduck:

I honestly don't know, and I never ever want to find out.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Aramoro posted:

Traditionally they are bourbon or I seem to recall reading somewhere Canadian whisky. Made with Scotch, it is inventively called a "Scotch Old Fashioned." That said, I usually make them with a utility whiskey; something cheap that I'm not ruining by throwing sugar and bitters in it. So I use bourbons of lesser complexity, Tennessee whiskey, or blended whiskey. I suppose a very cheap single malt like Speyburn wouldn't be wasted in one either, but generally I save the sugar and bitters treatment for something that's just not worth drinking neat.

I also like them as a cocktail because they're not really fussy, and the sugar and bitters makes a good drink of an inferior whiskey, and often cheaper than a measure of the high end Scotch on the bar. Similarly, drinking at home, they don't require me to keep much on hand as far as other mixers go, and sometimes I don't want to drink a good single malt. Sometimes I just want a drink, and I don't want to break out the good sippin' whisky. For that I keep the utility bourbon.

Re: vodka old fashioned. Eh, not much to screw up here. Might make rotgut like Kamchatka vodka seem palatable? Though I don't know why you wouldn't just throw coke in it and be done with it. If you're not drinking it neat, it's not like you're going to taste it.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 12, 2012

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

GramCracker posted:

I honestly don't know, and I never ever want to find out.

Please tell me this is something you made up to be facetious, and not something you saw at an actual bar. Please, please, please

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Aramoro posted:

Definitely try an old fashioned. I was inspired by the earlier talk about it and I'm glad I did. I liked it with 1783 over Elijah Craig 12. A Rum Old Fashioned with Sailor Jerry's was not too bad either.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Mr. Glass posted:

Please tell me this is something you made up to be facetious, and not something you saw at an actual bar. Please, please, please

I really, really wish it was something I created for pretend. :suicide:

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
In my opinion, a Scotch Old Fashioned wouldn't really be doing justice to any of the ingredients. Your average Scotch is a little too strongly flavored, and since they're usually not very sweet, they'd sort of be fighting against the sugar instead of working with it.

I always try to use rye in an Old Fashioned, if I can, but since my rye supply always seems to be mysteriously low, bourbon works fine too.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mr. Glass posted:

A vodka Old Fashioned tastes primarily of whatever bitters you used.

The best Old Fashioned I've ever made was with Smith and Cross navy strength Jamaican rum. I guess you could do a malt Old Fashioned, but I'd recommend a blend, really.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

GramCracker posted:

The "classic" Old Fashioned is with burbon (or whiskey) but there are variants today that use other spirits;

I think rye is fairly commonly used, isn't it? (I like rye in all sorts of cocktails, so...)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kidsafe posted:

With regard to Pappy, it's a unique situation right now. We are very near the last bottlings of Stitzel-Weller 20yr. The 15yr is now from spirit distilled at Buffalo Trace. Both expressions are equally scarce.
Looks like this has happened. All Pappy including 23yr will be vatted from an increasing amount of Buffalo Trace as the last S-W juice runs out.

http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/2012/06/11/what%E2%80%99s-in-that-bottle-of-van-winkle-anyway/

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I finally finished my Makers 46 and picked up a bottle of the following:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

GramCracker posted:

I finally finished my Makers 46 and picked up a bottle of the following:

Big fan of Knob Creek, I think it's what my father is using for a utility bourbon these days.

Incidentally, today is Arbitrary HolidayNational Bourbon Day, or, as I prefer to call it, Get Out Of Guilt Free Day.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 14, 2012

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

AWWNAW posted:

Recommend me a scotch for someone who likes Laphroaig, I want to start tasting some strange.

I know you said scotch, but if you want "strange" as in different you could give McCarthy's Oregon Peated Single Malt a try. I had it at a tasting of US craft whiskey and it was pretty peated with bourbon inspired sweet notes to it.

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

Bought a bottle of W.L. Weller Special Reserve, "The Original Wheated Bourbon", thanks to a recommendation in the regional forum. I like it a lot and it's a steal at $12.99!

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
Our awesome bartender has been giving me a sip by sip tour of our whiskey bar over the past month or so, and I've decided that life before just wasn't worth living.

Mother loving Blanton's Bourbon. :getin:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

fariz posted:

Our awesome bartender has been giving me a sip by sip tour of our whiskey bar over the past month or so, and I've decided that life before just wasn't worth living.

Had some of this over the weekend, it's my absolute favorite. It helps that I have an uncle who loves the stuff, so he always has a bottle handy whenever we visit.

In case you didn't know, the little horse guy on the cork is somewhat of a collectible. There are 8 different horse topper things, each have one letter stamped on them B-L-A-N-T-O-N-S, if you put all of them next to each other in order it's like a flip book type thing of a horse running.

Rauchbier
Jul 2, 2010

Aramoro posted:

I would reccomend Lagavulin as well, but to move away from Islay theres always Talisker and Highland Park to consider.

They occasionally have a distillers edition of Lagavulin, that is a little less smokey with more body/complexity.

Bruichladdich is another great Islay and for the adventurous look for their Octomore sub-brand, the most peat in a bottle.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Awesome, a new thread since the last time I read about whiskey. Goons, I am in sore need of advice or a recommendation. I am turning 30 soon and want to get a scotch treat for myself. I have long craved the Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength and have actually found a bottle in stock locally for $99 usd. Plus, the only 30 year old I've seen in any liquor store near me is a Macallan 30, and I'll be damned before I drop $1200 on a bottle.

I guess what I really want to know is if there are any special drinks that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Are there any 30 year olds in the $100-300 range that are worth picking up for a cliche 30th birthday drink? Should I just Grab the Glenfarclas and a couple other bottles to total up to ~$200?

Here's what I've currently got in my cabinet, minus the Balvenie (finished those off a few weekends ago). I'm partial to the Talisker, but have had a lot of Speyside on hand as well.

Edit: I'd also go for a good bourbon or other non-scotch whiskey, so suggest away!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 18, 2012

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

The Mandingo posted:

I guess what I really want to know is if there are any special drinks that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Are there any 30 year olds in the $100-300 range that are worth picking up for a cliche 30th birthday drink? Should I just Grab the Glenfarclas and a couple other bottles to total up to ~$200?

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-11044.aspx

It's 33, so you might want so save a bit for 3 years time.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

fariz posted:

Yeah this is fantastic. It's bizarre - just recently this has started showing up even in lovely supermarket liquor stores at quite reasonable (for Australia) prices. This. Is good for my wallet and bad for my liver

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I just have to say that I thought I had spoiled myself on Laphroaig cask strength and was forever doomed to think that all other Scotch was bland. I picked up a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan last week and I think I'm in love. Now I just have to convince the girlfriend that spending $90 every two weeks on Scotch is within our budget.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Jibo posted:

I just have to say that I thought I had spoiled myself on Laphroaig cask strength and was forever doomed to think that all other Scotch was bland. I picked up a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan last week and I think I'm in love. Now I just have to convince the girlfriend that spending $90 every two weeks on Scotch is within our budget.

Funny you should mention the Laphroig CS. I've had an inkling to pick one up sometime soon, but I'm torn between that or Ardbeg 10. Unfortunately, even with the extra money I have this time of the year, Corryvreckan is still way out of my budget. I just want maximum peat explosion for a reasonable price!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

Funny you should mention the Laphroig CS. I've had an inkling to pick one up sometime soon, but I'm torn between that or Ardbeg 10. Unfortunately, even with the extra money I have this time of the year, Corryvreckan is still way out of my budget. I just want maximum peat explosion for a reasonable price!

If that is what you want, get the Finlaggan CS. It'll carpet-bomb your palate with peat for a budget price.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

NightConqueror posted:

So far Laphroaig CS has been the highest peat for value I've found. I can't speak to the peatiness of Finallagan since I've never had it. Ardbeg 10 didn't seem as peaty or flavorful as Laphroaig 10, in my experience, but that could be more to conditions / batches than anything else.

As a side note, I've got a friend visiting from England in a couple of weeks. I know nothing about customs and am wondering if I can have her toss a bottle of Scotch in her luggage for me. Also if someone can recommend something (sub $200) that can't be found stateside, I'd appreciate it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jibo posted:

As a side note, I've got a friend visiting from England in a couple of weeks. I know nothing about customs and am wondering if I can have her toss a bottle of Scotch in her luggage for me. Also if someone can recommend something (sub $200) that can't be found stateside, I'd appreciate it.

One 1 liter bottle is OK, any more and she'll have to pay tax.
On the upside she can get some from the tax free shop at the airport in the UK.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I don't really know what you can and can't get staeside really. I'm assuming by Laphroaig Cask Strength you mean the 10 year old which you can get for ~$77 if my maths is right. Branching out from there you might want to try the Laphroaig Quarter Cask which you can pick up for ~$46 here. That is an excellent whisky if you love your fierce peaty flavours.

The only 2 really compe(a)ting with Laphroaig are Ardbeg and Lagavulin. Now with Lagavulin there's not a great deal of choice, the 16 year old (~$65) is a really great whisky can't really go wrong there. You can also get some of the Lagavulin 12 year old from time to time as well, it's a Cask Strength weighing in at up to 58% depending on the release, you can pick one up for ~$90. Ardbeg has some really nice expressions like the Ardbeg Corryvreckan (~$90) and the Ardbeg Uigeadail (~$77) which is excellent but not a full bore peat explosion like a Laphroaig.

Finlaggan is a bit of a weird one as it's a bottling from a 'secret islay' distillery. The Cask Strength is a good one, reminds me of Lagavulin a lot in it's character I have to say.

As for Reccomendations it really depends what exactly you're looking for, something along the Laphroaig Cask Strength lines or something a bit different.

Rauchbier
Jul 2, 2010
You are asking about peat. Now I love peat, and I love Islay, but I have to take this in small quantities. Octomore (not to be confused with octomom): http://www.bruichladdich.com/whisky-shop/peated-whisky/octomore

This is a drat fine dram, but I can usually only get in the mood with a cigar.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Octomore 4.2 Comus has the most amazing mouthfeel of any whisky I've ever tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martinb4
Feb 19, 2009

kidsafe posted:

Comus has the most amazing mouthfeel of any whisky I've ever tried.

Hence the name, I'm sure.