Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Eltoasto posted:

I listened to Hannibal Burress' CD off spotify today and thought it was excellent.

My Name is Hannibal or Animal Furnace? I think Animal Furnace was just added to spotify and the like today (according to HB's twitter) so you might have great timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Shovelbearer posted:

My Name is Hannibal or Animal Furnace? I think Animal Furnace was just added to spotify and the like today (according to HB's twitter) so you might have great timing.

It was the older one, guess I got more listenin to do :c00l:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
poo poo, why can't Spotify tell me about all this new poo poo itself? I have some serious catching up to do.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Does anyone know the % of my $10 that gets to the comedian when I buy on iTunes? I love standup but it's pretty pricey for audio content, and if they don't benefit much then I'd rather go see their live shows and use Pandora or Spotify for the albums.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Doesn't iTunes just take 35%?

Edit: I'm listening to Hannibal Buress' album (Animal Furnace) right now and he mentioned that he wrote a sketch for SNL where the villain killed his victims by scatting. Did he write for Eagle Heart by any chance? They did that in one episode (and it was great).

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 13, 2012

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Popelmon posted:

Doesn't iTunes just take 35%?

Edit: I'm listening to Hannibal Buress' album (Animal Furnace) right now and he mentioned that he wrote a sketch for SNL where the villain killed his victims by scatting. Did he write for Eagle Heart by any chance? They did that in one episode (and it was great).

I don't see anything on IMDB.

Speaking of Hannibal Buress, if you haven't already everyone should be watching The Eric Andre show on Adult Swim. It is seriously hysterical and fantastic.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Jesus, do any of you even go to shows? or just listen to pre recorded poo poo?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Politicalrancor posted:

Not a single one of the performers discussed in this thread has ever been in my country. So no.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Anyone else going to the Just for Laughs spinoff in Toronto? (https://www.jfl42.com) Louis CK and Patton Oswalt are worth the price of admission for me, but there are 40 other acts on top of them!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Politicalrancor posted:

casual chumps

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Some friends and I are gonna go see Paul F. Tompkins while he's in Philly. In August.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Politicalrancor posted:

Why do you care so much how people consume their comedy

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just listened to Danke Cook's "Harmful if swallowed" and "Retaliation" (they are all on Spotify)and...I liked them. Most people (on the internet) seem to hate (HATE!) him. I get that there was that joke stealing thing. But that aside...most of his stuff is kinda funny.
It's not amazing but I really enjoyed those two albums.

Edit: But one of his first jokes being a "haha Asians are terrible drivers" was not a good start.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 24, 2012

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I won't pretend to speak for the rest of the planet, but I liked Dane Cook as of those two albums as well. It was only after 2005 or so, when he tended to begin relying more on physical LOOK HOW WILD AND CRAZY I AM bits than actual jokes, not to mention stealing material, that I soured on him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BobTheCow posted:

I won't pretend to speak for the rest of the planet, but I liked Dane Cook as of those two albums as well. It was only after 2005 or so, when he tended to begin relying more on physical LOOK HOW WILD AND CRAZY I AM bits than actual jokes, not to mention stealing material, that I soured on him.

Yep, same experience here. Those exact two albums are still pretty drat funny, it's after them when he decided to try to be Jim Carrey and base all his jokes in "WATCH ME SPAZ OUT" and then shamelessly stealing bits and generally going from a kinda spazzy goofball to a weird dick that made me go 'welp, I'm done'.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I think, frankly, the reason that people are madder at him (other than for being a joke thief) for being so unfunny than oh I don't know Ralphie May is that he actually did have a lot of potential and turned out to be a wierdo with a huge ego with a lazy act and a lovely movie career.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Yeah, I think the drop off in fans came from the material degrading to "Look at how wacky I am!" and "Remember the late 80s to mid 90s?", and the internet "hatred" came from an oddly inflated ego. I also liked his first CD, couldn't tell you a single thing on the second even though I own it, and couldn't really sit through that Comedy Central special with the rotating stage for more than a few minutes.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, I think the drop off in fans came from the material degrading to "Look at how wacky I am!" and "Remember the late 80s to mid 90s?", and the internet "hatred" came from an oddly inflated ego. I also liked his first CD, couldn't tell you a single thing on the second even though I own it, and couldn't really sit through that Comedy Central special with the rotating stage for more than a few minutes.

I remember that special with the rotating stage having his super smug story about how he gave an atheist a verbal smackdown, and it was just this pandering eye roll inducing story.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

indigi posted:

Why do you care so much how people consume their comedy

because live comedy is not the same as cd's and podcasts etc.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Politicalrancor posted:

This is true, but personally I've got gently caress all chance of seeing PFT or anyone else from the LA comedy scene because I live in the UK. I mean gently caress, the Fringe is my best chance of seeing ANY comedians, but I live 200 miles from Edinburgh and have a job and two kids - some of us can only get to see live comedy sporadically, man.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Politicalrancor posted:

So start a live comedy thread

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I live in the Seattle area and while I'm sure they get a lot of random acts that may or may not be good, as with any place really, we seem to get few of the bigger guys. I saw Louis C.K. two years ago but he hasn't been back and I can't think of anyone notable in the meantime.

Anyway, Harmful if Swallowed is a great album. I can still put that on today and crack up the whole way through. Retaliation is pretty good, though you can kind of see the cracks starting to form in Dane's personality. Still some really good bits though.

Anyone wanting to see a comedian implode embarrassingly on his own HBO documentary series should check out Dane Cook's Tourgasm. You will feel the douche chills deep inside of you. I seem to remember one scene in particular where Dane loses at paintball to a few of his fellow comedian friends and proceeds to pout about it like a little bitch. He then throws one of his friend's favorite ball caps over a fence off a cliff. Amazing.

Though after hearing his story of those years when he was on Joe Rogan's podcast did make me come back around to his side a little bit recently.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

The Duke posted:

I live in the Seattle area and while I'm sure they get a lot of random acts that may or may not be good, as with any place really, we seem to get few of the bigger guys. I saw Louis C.K. two years ago but he hasn't been back and I can't think of anyone notable in the meantime.

http://buy.louisck.net/tour-dates

Coming to you again in December!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

nerve posted:

http://buy.louisck.net/tour-dates

Coming to you again in December!

Why won't he just stop in Philly?:(

e: That said, I'm really psyched about Paul F. Tompkins coming to Philly. I loved his last CD, and his Comedy Central special was also really good, so I'm really looking forward to it. So I guess Louis can skip over Philly is he really has to.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Does Natasha Leggero bug anyone else? I've heard her on podcasts and have heard some of her stand-up and I can't get over just how unintelligent she seems and no one has any criticisms about her. Even Marc Maron likes her and that just makes no sense to me other than the fact she's incredibly attractive. Because that's how Maron seems to roll.

On the other hand I love Tig Notaro and have never had a problem with her stand-up or podcast appearances, against this forum's popular opinion, so it might just be me.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

pfff you just like Tig because she's so attractive.

Leggero is hit or miss with me. When she is engaging she can be really funny, but I've also seen her as a guest on shows where she is just withdrawn and unfunny.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

HateTheInternet posted:

Does Natasha Leggero bug anyone else? I've heard her on podcasts and have heard some of her stand-up and I can't get over just how unintelligent she seems and no one has any criticisms about her. Even Marc Maron likes her and that just makes no sense to me other than the fact she's incredibly attractive. Because that's how Maron seems to roll.

Leggero's act is partly doing the unintelligent schtick but she seems to try to go back and forth with it and it just doesn't work for me either. Also she seems to be into a lot of typical pseudo-science bullshit which doesn't help. I think Eltoasto summed her up pretty well as someone whose hit or miss.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

HateTheInternet posted:

I used to really dislike her because a lot of her material was just classist and mean, but then I heard her on the JV Club and she basically copped to that while being a delightful guest. I listened to her new jawn and it's pretty funny, she's good on Burning Love, but I probably wouldn't put her on any top 10 lists.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

CommunistMojo posted:

Also she seems to be into a lot of typical pseudo-science bullshit which doesn't help.

She dated Duncan Trussell for a long time, and he seems to be having this weird influence on the LA comedy scene wherein everyone wants to go to Joshua Tree and pretend they're Dennis Hopper after spending a couple of hours with him.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've been liking Dylan Moran a lot lately. He seems like he's always got a hangover and he's working on a second one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hieTxQ0oJPc

Dara O'Briain is good too, especially for his bits that he makes up on the spot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2IqI7gOE54 I love it when comedians work with material that is obviously not planned out.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've been liking Dylan Moran a lot lately. He seems like he's always got a hangover and he's working on a second one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hieTxQ0oJPc

Dara O'Briain is good too, especially for his bits that he makes up on the spot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2IqI7gOE54 I love it when comedians work with material that is obviously not planned out.

I've seen both of them live - Moran is good but doesn't deviate much from what your see on his DVDs. O'Briain does a lot of crowd work so you get a lot of new material every show. His bit on childbirth made me laugh so hard I was in pain.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
For a show based on a non-planned material, you can't go wrong with Ross Noble. His comedy is mostly built from his brain finding connections between things on the studio (like what the audience is doing) and mental images he then proceeded to explain or enact. His latest DVD, Headspace Cowboy is a collection of six of his shows and there is no similarity whatsoever.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

HateTheInternet posted:

On the other hand I love Tig Notaro and have never had a problem with her stand-up or podcast appearances, against this forum's popular opinion, so it might just be me.

Yeah Tig Notaro is the best I don't know what's wrong with the rest of you folks.

Popelmon posted:

I just listened to Danke Cook's "Harmful if swallowed" and "Retaliation" (they are all on Spotify)and...I liked them. Most people (on the internet) seem to hate (HATE!) him. I get that there was that joke stealing thing. But that aside...most of his stuff is kinda funny.
It's not amazing but I really enjoyed those two albums.

Edit: But one of his first jokes being a "haha Asians are terrible drivers" was not a good start.

Dane Cook's joke rely entirely on his delivery. Nothing he's ever said has ever been funny or amusing, but the way he says it tricks a lot of people into laughing.

On a different note, is Paul F Tompkins' recent stuff better than his old stuff? I sat through his first Comedy Central Presents special last night and laughed, on the whole, maybe once, and I think that was out of obligation more than amusement. I haven't seen anything else he's done, and before I waste any more of my time it would be cool to know if I'm in for more of the same or something different.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 3, 2012

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

dik-dik posted:

Dane Cook's joke rely entirely on his delivery. Nothing he's ever said has ever been funny or amusing, but the way he says it tricks a lot of people into laughing.

I don't really get this as a negative. Delivery and timing is a pretty huge facet of stand-up.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

I don't really get this as a negative. Delivery and timing is a pretty huge facet of stand-up.

Sure, I get that, but at the end of the day, you still have to say funny things. I feel like a lot of people have just been conditioned to laugh when they hear someone say things in a certain way regardless of how unfunny it is, and it's annoying. Also, I realize this is entirely a matter of taste (not that I'm going out on a limb or being courageous making GBS threads on Dane Cook or anything), but his delivery style isn't even funny to me. It's just annoying and stupid. That entire subset of comedy where you just act really full of yourself bores me. You can probably do it well, but most people I've seen are awful at it. The act only works when it's obvious that you're really making fun of yourself, because it's tremendously unfunny to just watch someone pat themselves on the back for an hour.

Also so I'm not just threadshitting here, what do the rest of you think of Pete Holmes? I just listened to his album yesterday and it was one of the funniest things I'd ever heard. He does a lot of good crowd interaction stuff and I really wish he were coming to Florida so I could see him live. He also managed to make genuinely funny jokes about Google and Facebook that went beyond "back in my day we didn't have electricity," which was impressive. If you have spotify, go listen to it now!

Oh, I also just listened to Patton Oswalt's latest album and was pleasantly surprised. I'd always wanted to like him more than I actually liked him, but this time I actually found myself laughing uncontrollably. It's great.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 3, 2012

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Pete Holmes is a delight and so is his podcast, You Made It Weird. He talks w/ mostly comedians about their background, relationships, and philosophy/religion/spirituality/atheism as the last topic. Dude rules.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

dik-dik posted:

On a different note, is Paul F Tompkins' recent stuff better than his old stuff? I sat through his first Comedy Central Presents special last night and laughed, on the whole, maybe once, and I think that was out of obligation more than amusement. I haven't seen anything else he's done, and before I waste any more of my time it would be cool to know if I'm in for more of the same or something different.

Check out his other stuff. Patton Oswalt's first CC Presents is pretty weak too.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
I listened to Rory Scovel's album after seeing him on Conan last week, I highly recommend everyone do the same.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

DerbyTime!!! posted:

Pete Holmes is a delight and so is his podcast, You Made It Weird. He talks w/ mostly comedians about their background, relationships, and philosophy/religion/spirituality/atheism as the last topic. Dude rules.
His laugh gets annoying after a while, so don't listen to a lot of episodes in a row if you have a long drive ahead of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Forum Hussy posted:

I listened to Rory Scovel's album after seeing him on Conan last week, I highly recommend everyone do the same.

Rory Scovel is a funny rear end dude and Dilation is great, but he is on like nothing else when he's on The Todd Glass Show.

This is still one of my favorite things ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R33gFcqaxHs