Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm going through Atlantis for the first time, I just saw the exploding tumours episode. I could tell what was coming the whole time, hoping I was wrong. Beckett was my favourite character too :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Pwnstar posted:

I'm going through Atlantis for the first time, I just saw the exploding tumours episode. I could tell what was coming the whole time, hoping I was wrong. Beckett was my favourite character too :/

Beckett was a great character. Beckett, I think, was intentionally cast to be a Stargate rendition of McCoy's character from ST:TOS. Are you doing a marathon viewing on Netflix? If so, what Season/Episode are you on now? I'm finishing up my 8th or 9th run through the entire series as I type this. By the end of your first run through, I imagine McKay will be your favorite. It might take a second time around to appreciate the McKay-Sheppard dynamic.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
OK I've made it past the Atlantis episode with the singing, is it plain sailing from now on?

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Tsaedje posted:

OK I've made it past the Atlantis episode with the singing, is it plain sailing from now on?

the singing? Are you referring to The Siege? With Teyla singing to the one elder who is dying?

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

It's 'Critical Mass' in Season 2, not The Siege.

Just double checked. You're right. It's 'Critical Mass.' I knew her singing took place while the city was in danger of imminent destruction. A lot of episodes start to blend together when you stream the series as background noise too often.

To Tsaedje. Yes it gets better in my opinion. Though, the show could have done without one character's story arc. Or have done it a hell of a lot differently. You will know when you hit that part in the series if you haven't already.

It's wishful thinking on my part, but the series could still be salvageable. Though, it's been several years off air now. If only MGM had some sense, or SyFy had half a brain working as the programming director.

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 27, 2012

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

truth masseuse posted:

the singing? Are you referring to The Siege? With Teyla singing to the one elder who is dying?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I found that out the hard way a couple of days ago. I knew there was a reason I usually skipped that episode but couldn't remember what it was. Then the singing started.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Flatscan posted:

I found that out the hard way a couple of days ago. I knew there was a reason I usually skipped that episode but couldn't remember what it was. Then the singing started.

On the topic of painful episodes to watch, S.5 E.5: "Ghost in the Machine."

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

truth masseuse posted:

Beckett was a great character. Beckett, I think, was intentionally cast to be a Stargate rendition of McCoy's character from ST:TOS. Are you doing a marathon viewing on Netflix? If so, what Season/Episode are you on now? I'm finishing up my 8th or 9th run through the entire series as I type this. By the end of your first run through, I imagine McKay will be your favorite. It might take a second time around to appreciate the McKay-Sheppard dynamic.

Just finished Season 3, about to start 4 tomorrow. I like McKay, and he and Sheppard playing Space Civilisation was fun. The war basically starting over Rodney's people thinking lemons were poison was a good moment. The Flowers for Algernon ep was a good McKay one as well.

My favourite moments so far are Beckett moments though. Like when they are going on a suicide mission to destroy a Wraith Hive or something and he's trying to work up the courage to tell McKay and Zelenka that they are his best friends and as he's struggling to get the words out they just tease him until he breaks into tears and runs out the door saying they ruined the moment.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pwnstar posted:

Well good news! It's a sci-fi show.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Pwnstar posted:

I like McKay, and he and Sheppard playing Space Civilisation was fun. The war basically starting over Rodney's people thinking lemons were poison was a good moment.

I'm watching that one now and only just realised that the uniforms Sheppard's guys are wearing is a leather and chain version of Sheppard's uniform.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I like how Zelenka starts babbling in czech whenever he gets upset or excited.

Also that one episode where they're all recording messages for home and he just goes on and on essentially recapping everything that has happened in the series, in Czech and then gets asked afterward if any of that was classified information.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
I do not think I've ever seen one positive thing ever said about Teyla in this thread. And the only thing I can think of is that she has a rocking body. Anyone else got anything to add?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

MrBling posted:

I like how Zelenka starts babbling in czech whenever he gets upset or excited.

Also that one episode where they're all recording messages for home and he just goes on and on essentially recapping everything that has happened in the series, in Czech and then gets asked afterward if any of that was classified information.

"Security clearance?" :stare:

Unsurprisingly, someone has gone through the trouble to translate all the Czech lines Radek has outburst. It's on his stargate wiki page:
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Radek_Zelenka

truth masseuse posted:

I do not think I've ever seen one positive thing ever said about Teyla in this thread. And the only thing I can think of is that she has a rocking body. Anyone else got anything to add?

At least she's not Kavanaugh.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

truth masseuse posted:

She was good to have in scenes for exposition purposes. For a lot of the people who had been upset about the lack of feminism in sci-fi, her presence prompted them to say, "Well, if that's the strong female character you're going to give us, just loving forget we ever said anything."

I can't quite remember what happened, but I do remember being a bit disgusted with how her pregnancy was integrated into the show: Apparently being pregnant is like being a quadriplegic, pregnancy is shameful, and pregnancy makes you unable to form decisions for yourself which is why a man must make them for you.

It was the crushing blow to a character that had been used from the beginning only as a placeholder.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Noni posted:

She was good to have in scenes for exposition purposes. For a lot of the people who had been upset about the lack of feminism in sci-fi, her presence prompted them to say, "Well, if that's the strong female character you're going to give us, just loving forget we ever said anything."

At least Teyla never had the reproductive organs speech or that Mongolian episode.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Teyla got the double whammy of noble savage and token female.

MY PEOPLE!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Noni posted:

I can't quite remember what happened, but I do remember being a bit disgusted with how her pregnancy was integrated into the show: Apparently being pregnant is like being a quadriplegic, pregnancy is shameful, and pregnancy makes you unable to form decisions for yourself which is why a man must make them for you.

I just saw that episode a day or two ago, and I didn't really read that like that. Then again, I'm not a woman, so maybe I'm not seeing where it would be offensive.

The way I saw that wasn't so much that she wasn't able to make decisions or be useful (remember, she did mind control that queen in that one episode while pregnant). It was more that she wanted to go out and be in the line of fire while pregnant, and Sheppard didn't think it was right for her to do that. You can judge that all you want, but I didn't see it as him going "I will think for you, woman" so much and more as him being the team leader making a decision based on what he thought was best.

Of course we also got the line "ITHOSIAN WOMAN ARE STILL LEADERS IN THE COMMUNITY WELL INTO THEIR PREGNANCY." Which only plays into your earlier point that they went way over the top in the character portrayal. It's bad writing to have a character tell you about their traits. The viewer learns them by their actions.

On a related note, the mind-control/communication thing always felt a little shoehorned in to me.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

JetsGuy posted:

I just saw that episode a day or two ago, and I didn't really read that like that. Then again, I'm not a woman, so maybe I'm not seeing where it would be offensive.

The way I saw that wasn't so much that she wasn't able to make decisions or be useful (remember, she did mind control that queen in that one episode while pregnant). It was more that she wanted to go out and be in the line of fire while pregnant, and Sheppard didn't think it was right for her to do that. You can judge that all you want, but I didn't see it as him going "I will think for you, woman" so much and more as him being the team leader making a decision based on what he thought was best.

I didn't mean to talk about Sheppard's sexism, but that the writers are to blame for putting Teyla in that stupid position and making her become this uncaring person in disregard for the health of the kid. "I am barbarian. It is a barbarian tradition to be a terrible mother."

It was a dumb, sexist, contrived conflict. The writers broke the cardinal rule of pro-feminism characters: Strength is not mutually exclusive from femininity. The episode was literally a choice between strength and motherhood. The choice shouldn't have even existed in the first place, but then the writers threw gas on the fire and had someone else make that decision for her.

If the conflict was truly necessary, it should have been only an internal conflict for Teyla. If this scene instead had been about Sheppard carrying around a toddler in a BabyBjorn and unable to leave the kid, then wanting to unnecessarily run out into combat would have made him seem insane. The baby's name is "Strawman Sheppard," by the way.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

JetsGuy posted:

On a related note, the mind-control/communication thing always felt a little shoehorned in to me.

So did anything involving Dr. Weir and ascension. As I stated a few posts up, S.5 E.5 "Ghost in the Machine" was painful to watch for this reason. Somehow she alone had the knowledge on how to ascend, and could teach the rogue replicators how to do so. This irritated the poo poo out of me. Her reverence for the Ancients was over the top in general.

Noni posted:

Lack of feminism in Sci-Fi sounds like a load of poo poo to me. There are many examples in both film and television of strong female characters in Science Fiction.

Sigourney Weaver
Gillian Anderson
Deanna Troi(ST:TNG she'll get in your head, yo)
Claudia Christian (Susan Ivanova B5)
Kate Mulgrew (ST:VOY Cpt. Janeway)
Linda Hamilton (Sarah Connor the original, but I suppose Cersei counts as well)

These are just some names that came to mind after a minute or two of thinking. I'm sure I could come up with a dozen or more. Oh, another one Amanda Tapping.

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 28, 2012

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Noni posted:

I didn't mean to talk about Sheppard's sexism, but that the writers are to blame for putting Teyla in that stupid position and making her become this uncaring person in disregard for the health of the kid. "I am barbarian. It is a barbarian tradition to be a terrible mother."

It was a dumb, sexist, contrived conflict. The writers broke the cardinal rule of pro-feminism characters: Strength is not mutually exclusive from femininity. The episode was literally a choice between strength and motherhood. The choice shouldn't have even existed in the first place, but then the writers threw gas on the fire and had someone else make that decision for her.

If the conflict was truly necessary, it should have been only an internal conflict for Teyla. If this scene instead had been about Sheppard carrying around a toddler in a BabyBjorn and unable to leave the kid, then wanting to unnecessarily run out into combat would have made him seem insane. The baby's name is "Strawman Sheppard," by the way.

I agree 100%.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

truth masseuse posted:

Lack of feminism in Sci-Fi sounds like a load of poo poo to me. There are many examples in both film and television of strong female characters in Science Fiction.

Sigourney Weaver
Gillian Anderson
Deanna Troi(ST:TNG she'll get in your head, yo)
Claudia Christian (Susan Ivanova B5)
Kate Mulgrew (ST:VOY Cpt. Janeway)
Linda Hamilton (Sarah Connor the original, but I suppose Cersei counts as well)

It's a lot more complicated than this. This list is full of great things, but in another respect, it's great evidence for how far science fiction has to go in actually writing women as human beings. Many of these characters are the solitary prominent female characters in their narratives, and they're defined mostly by their relationships with men. I'll give Ivanova and Janeway a fair bit of credit on this point, though.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Janeway was so badly written that Kate Mulgrew decided to slip a little crazy into her performance as the years went by, as a way to rationalize the lack of consistency in her character's actions.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Dark One posted:

Janeway was so badly written that Kate Mulgrew decided to slip a little crazy into her performance as the years went by, as a way to rationalize the lack of consistency in her character's actions.

When Kate Mulgrew admitted this, I really gained about a million tons of respect for her.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Janeway wasn't a feminist character, she was an incompetent, overbearing, irrational shrew. She was the punchline to a joke from a 1970's workingman's club put in charge of a spaceship.

And Deanna Troi was a transplanted woman in distress from 50's b-movie scifi. "I have feelings." "My intuition says this..." "My feelings." "Arglebargle mindrape."

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 28, 2012

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Best Janeway moment is when Q says he will send the entire crew home right away if she will have a baby with him and she declines.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Pwnstar posted:

Best Janeway moment is when Q says he will send the entire crew home right away if she will have a baby with him and she declines.

Salamander sex :colbert:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

When Kate Mulgrew admitted this, I really gained about a million tons of respect for her.

Haha, she did? Any chance someone has a link to that interview?

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
Watch, The Captains streaming on Netflix. Two things. 1) Scott Bakula should not be remembered as a Star Trek Captain. Enterprise was a gods drat abortion. 2)Shatner interviewing Kate Mulgrew will surprise you with some of the things she says regarding women in Hollywood, and in leadership positions.

e: And Shatner will surprise you with some of the things he says about women. Then again, maybe he wont.

↓↓↓↓

bobkatt013 posted:

Is that the one that proves that The Sisko is completely batshit insane?

Yes. Avery Brooks is a little quirky. Not sure if he is high, or maybe early-onset dementia of a sort. Also, was a Professor at Rutgers University apparently.

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 28, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

truth masseuse posted:

Watch, The Captains streaming on Netflix. Two things. 1) Scott Bakula should not be remembered as a Star Trek Captain. Enterprise was a gods drat abortion. 2)Shatner interviewing Kate Mulgrew will surprise you with some of the things she says regarding women in Hollywood, and in leadership positions.
/\ /\ /\ Is that the one that proves that The Sisko is completely batshit insane?

Season 4 was awesome other then the first episode and the last.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 28, 2012

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Instant Sunrise posted:

At least Teyla never had the reproductive organs speech or that Mongolian episode.

Hey, I'll take Tapping cleavage (heh) over Teyla cleavage any day. At least we got fanservice out of the Mongolian episode.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Effingham posted:

Hey, I'll take Tapping cleavage (heh) over Teyla cleavage any day. At least we got fanservice out of the Mongolian episode.

Not to mention yak butter.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

There are only two things of worth in that episode (not that)

1. Llamas and the fact that some Goa'uld must have brought them through the Stargate thousands of years ago.
2. Space Genghis Khan seeing what a gun can do then his utter joy when he gets one all of his own. Until it runs out of bullets.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I still laugh at the fact that that episode had the same writer as TNG's "Code of Honor."

THERE SHALL BE NO TREATY, NO VACCINE AND NO LIEUTENANT YAR!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pwnstar posted:

There are only two things of worth in that episode (not that)

1. Llamas and the fact that some Goa'uld must have brought them through the Stargate thousands of years ago.
2. Space Genghis Khan seeing what a gun can do then his utter joy when he gets one all of his own. Until it runs out of bullets.

Him and his bros oooh and ahhhhing every time he shoots something was priceless.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Everyone romances Teal'c.

I'd buy this graphic novel/FPSRPGMMO

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
I always dismissed SGU after watching half of the first season when it first aired.
Caught it the other day and it got half enjoyable by the end of the second season.
They still should of made the SGA movie instead though :3:

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

lovely Treat posted:

They still should of made the SGA movie instead though :3:

Maybe in 11 days the noise we are hearing about an announcement regarding Stargate will be another movie. Would like another series, but I really doubt that will be it. I would gladly settle with a movie based on SG-1 or SGA. SGA especially, the Wraith could be on their way to the Milky Way as I type this. :stare:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Doubtful since they sold off all the props a while back. Maybe it's that CG cartoon they were talking about.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Well, I'm totally willing to loan them the SGU uniforms I bought... for science.

It's going to be some sort of SG comic I think :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kurt Russel isn't too busy these days...