Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

dik-dik posted:

Yeah Tig Notaro is the best I don't know what's wrong with the rest of you folks.

Dane Cook's joke rely entirely on his delivery. Nothing he's ever said has ever been funny or amusing, but the way he says it tricks a lot of people into laughing.

On a different note, is Paul F Tompkins' recent stuff better than his old stuff? I sat through his first Comedy Central Presents special last night and laughed, on the whole, maybe once, and I think that was out of obligation more than amusement. I haven't seen anything else he's done, and before I waste any more of my time it would be cool to know if I'm in for more of the same or something different.

It absolutely is. I'm a huge PFT fanboy, and I didn't even like his first half hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I only checked out PFT's standup after I had heard him on CBB and listened to his podcast for awhile. Iw asn't sure at first, but this is the bit that absolutely sold me on him forever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1CEWFaiL_o

e: It's not necessarily his best bit, but it's pretty representative of why I love him. The whole thing is just absurd, and it slowly turns from a standup routine into a 1-man show.

e2: Any other goons gonna see him in Philly on August 11th?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Check out his other stuff. Patton Oswalt's first CC Presents is pretty weak too.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It absolutely is. I'm a huge PFT fanboy, and I didn't even like his first half hour.

Awesome, I definitely will check out his newer stuff then. Patton's only gotten better and better as far as I can tell. I really disliked his older stuff but loved his latest album so I hope the same will be true of PFT.

SpacePig posted:

I only checked out PFT's standup after I had heard him on CBB and listened to his podcast for awhile. Iw asn't sure at first, but this is the bit that absolutely sold me on him forever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1CEWFaiL_o

Finally got home to listen to this. Loved it! Going to check out his other stuff for sure.

DerbyTime!!! posted:

Pete Holmes is a delight and so is his podcast, You Made It Weird. He talks w/ mostly comedians about their background, relationships, and philosophy/religion/spirituality/atheism as the last topic. Dude rules.

I'll be sure to check that out! Thanks for the heads up.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 4, 2012

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

dik-dik posted:

On a different note, is Paul F Tompkins' recent stuff better than his old stuff? I sat through his first Comedy Central Presents special last night and laughed, on the whole, maybe once, and I think that was out of obligation more than amusement. I haven't seen anything else he's done, and before I waste any more of my time it would be cool to know if I'm in for more of the same or something different.

I've only heard "Impersonal" and "Freak Wharf" and I enjoyed them both a lot. Impersonal feels like a lot of disconnected bits rather than a set that flows from story to story, but they're funny standalone bits. Freak Wharf is awesome.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Fil5000 posted:

I've only heard "Impersonal" and "Freak Wharf" and I enjoyed them both a lot. Impersonal feels like a lot of disconnected bits rather than a set that flows from story to story, but they're funny standalone bits. Freak Wharf is awesome.

That's actually what impersonal is. It was essentially a best of album.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

dik-dik posted:

His first CC presents was pretty lame actually, his other stuff is really good. He's not everyone's taste, which I mean, what the heck. Like one of my good friends, a genuinely funny guy with good taste in stuff, didn't laugh even once during Impersonal. It was like finding out that he had been a girl all this time, or maybe had an extra nose growing off the side of his current nose that I had never noticed.

It's actually pretty terrible to be really stoked about a comic, and showing one of their specials to a friend, and just getting nothing out of them. It makes me feel like a failure.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

dik-dik posted:

CCP has notoriously bad editing. Doug Benson railed against that when he was on You Made It Weird. They cut out all of Jimmy Pardo's crowd work, which is his forte. IDK if you've ever seen Patton Oswalt's CCP, but it's awkward and stilted as gently caress and we all know Patton is one of the most fluid comedians in the world. CCP blows.

As for PFT personally, I think he's cut a lot of the riffing out of his standup, or he's just honed his riffing skills on the Pod F. Tompkast or something. His riffing has always been extremely hit-or-miss, but it was gold on the last special.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 4, 2012

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Last time I saw him he did 30 minutes of riffing up top. The first 3 tracks on his latest album are riffing. I really don't think he's cutting it out.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
On many podcasts he's talked about how that's how he likes starting shows off now, about 20-30 mins of riffing. Not only were the first track of his last album riffing, he then released an EP that was the riffing from that album that wasn't included.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Besides Sarah Millican, is there any good female stand-up comedians? With recorded material like CDs or DVDs?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

toanoradian posted:

Besides Sarah Millican, is there any good female stand-up comedians? With recorded material like CDs or DVDs?

Yes.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
In fact I'm pretty sure there's a lot of them.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
All they do is talk about their periods!!!!!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

toanoradian posted:

Can you be more specific? Are you looking for comedians like Millican or just any female standups? And if the latter, you realise they're as varied in style as male standups, right? Shappi Khorsandi is very different to Tig Notaro.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Women can't be funny you guys, you heard what Adam Carolla had to say.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
Jen Kirkman & Maria Bamford are two of the funniest comics out there.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I like Kathy Griffin. There, I said it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DerbyTime!!! posted:

I like Kathy Griffin. There, I said it.

She's pretty funny!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Whitney Cummings is good on occasion, Amy Schumer is awesome, there's the obvious Sarah Silverman, and if you stretch your definition of "stand-up", there's Garfunkel and Oates.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Seconding Maria Bamford. I know a lot of people who find her annoying but I really like her.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Yoshifan823 posted:

Sarah Silverman,

I thought you said funny.

Judy Gold is pretty good and often overlooked because she's older.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Just to name the ones I've seen live in the past few months: Cameron Esposito, Chelsea Peretti, Erin Foley, Jackie Kashian, Nikki Glaser, Sarah Schaefer, Natasha Leggero

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Gah, I know nothing about female stand-ups. Regarding styles, I guess the routine filled with one-liners, like Jimmy Carr or Tim Vine. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try Bamford.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

That is not at all how I'd characterize Maria Bamford. In that case I'd go with Nikki Glaser or Natasha Leggero.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

indigi posted:

Just to name the ones I've seen live in the past few months: Cameron Esposito, Chelsea Peretti, Erin Foley, Jackie Kashian, Nikki Glaser, Sarah Schaefer, Natasha Leggero

I can't believe I didn't say Chelsea Peretti. I can't believe we all didn't say Chelsea Peretti. What's wrong with us.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

toanoradian posted:

Gah, I know nothing about female stand-ups. Regarding styles, I guess the routine filled with one-liners, like Jimmy Carr or Tim Vine. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try Bamford.

You're looking for Wendy Liebman. Check out her new special, it's $5.

http://wendyliebman.com/

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
If you want a girl with funny one liners, Morgan Murphy is what you're looking for

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

You're looking for Wendy Liebman. Check out her new special, it's $5.

http://wendyliebman.com/

I agree with this. I couldn't remember her name but couldn't find an intelligent way to describe her style so I could ask in the thread. She's great.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

I love Maria Bamford and Jackie Kashian. And Jen Kirkman and Tig Notaro. Sarah Silverman annoys me occasionally, and sorry, can't stand Natasha Leggero.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HateTheInternet posted:

I love Maria Bamford and Jackie Kashian. And Jen Kirkman and Tig Notaro. Sarah Silverman annoys me occasionally, and sorry, can't stand Natasha Leggero.

Kirkman confuses me. I love her bits on the Pod F Tompkast and I like her in conversation with people, but her standup leaves me cold. No idea why. I should probably give more than just "Self Help" a try - any recommendations?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Groucho Marxist posted:

If you want a girl with funny one liners, Morgan Murphy is what you're looking for

Oh yeah, can't believe I forgot Morgan.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
I can't believe I forgot about Jackie Kashian. She's actually the smartest, funniest comedian I've ever seen live.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I just watched that documentary I Am Comic. I'm surprised that Carlos Mencia wasn't the biggest douchbag in the film. I bet Todd Glass got a good laugh out of getting a 26 on that guy's comedy-o-meter.

Okay I lied, Mencia was the biggest douchebag. I think he's shooting for like reality tv show levels of douchbaggery or something.

The documentary itself was pretty good, but I think it's probably too dry and inside for anybody but us comedy nerds.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I wish Jen Kirkman was my aunt

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Kirkman confuses me. I love her bits on the Pod F Tompkast and I like her in conversation with people, but her standup leaves me cold. No idea why. I should probably give more than just "Self Help" a try - any recommendations?

I mean, there's also "Hail to the Freaks", but honestly with stand-up comedy it's kind of hard to force yourself to like something, isn't it? I love Doug Benson and nearly everything he does, but his stand-up albums are all kind of a miss for me. I could name a dozen more examples.

And on the other hand, Bill Burr's stand-up is amazing but it's hard for me to get through an episode of his podcast.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HateTheInternet posted:

I mean, there's also "Hail to the Freaks", but honestly with stand-up comedy it's kind of hard to force yourself to like something, isn't it? I love Doug Benson and nearly everything he does, but his stand-up albums are all kind of a miss for me. I could name a dozen more examples.

And on the other hand, Bill Burr's stand-up is amazing but it's hard for me to get through an episode of his podcast.

Yeah, I should have said "Is self help representative of her other stuff as if it is I won't bother". Sort of like how people here have said Dane Cook's earlier stuff is worth a listen but his newer stuff is tripe.

Also, I gave up on Benson a while back. No idea how I went from loving DLM to being apathetic about it - I think it was the "how high is too high" episode that finally caused me to give up.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I love his podcast stuff, but Doug's last few albums have been mediocre.

"Why did I bother to BitTorrent this?" :argh:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I think for me it's just that I don't really get the whole stoner culture thing. Like I find it tedious that he does his shows at 4:20, and has to say 4:20 in that sing song way. Oh, and his insistence on saying 2011 as "Two Oceans Eleven" long after the joke had worn thin. His particular style is just not for me, I guess. Oh well, can't like everything!

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Jessi Klein is another really good stand up that has a really good conversational voice. She says "you guys" a lot and it works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Fil5000 posted:

I think for me it's just that I don't really get the whole stoner culture thing. Like I find it tedious that he does his shows at 4:20, and has to say 4:20 in that sing song way. Oh, and his insistence on saying 2011 as "Two Oceans Eleven" long after the joke had worn thin. His particular style is just not for me, I guess. Oh well, can't like everything!

I was a stoner for like 5 years and even I hated the stoner culture thing.