Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Hooray! Something exciting!

I can't wait for John Charity Spring's term as ghost-baby overseer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

I have been counseled to keep a record for dealing with stress.
pre:
+-----------------------------------------------------------+
| `Nomikos' Berinal seems unwilling to trade.               |
|                                                           |
+-- The Noble Work ------------+-- The Fiendish Murk -------+
| *dwarven baby*       28Γ [T] | werehyena       191Γ  [T] |
|                              |                            |
+------------------------------+----------------------------+
I do not see the point.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I think that's probably my favourite journal entry so far.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Internet Kraken posted:

How did you manage to upload those screenshots without noticing that?

Stress, poo poo that would be more suited to an E/N thread, and just general RL stuff. Summer hates me with a passion, and it's now fixed.

Also, liking the Journal entry, it's quite clever, in a black comedy way.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ha, that's excellent. :golfclap:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Well, it looks like I'll have something to do tonight!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So for my Soundsense thing, I need to ask this of the overseers, and I guess anyone else in general. About how often does the Fiendish Murk and how long does it lurk around in our time? Is it related to the biome (like swamp, desert, mountain, that stuff) at all?

Because if it's appearing every five minutes while playing the game at full FPS, I don't want to be spamming a song constantly. That'd get boring and annoying really fast. Or I guess could just put more songs into the Fiendish Murk category, and that becomes your "Evil Biome" standard playlist.

Also, love the update. First blood, and wasn't expecting a were-creature already. Even if they aren't super deadly.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I guess it actually was pretty deadly, and probably would've killed Nomikos if it wasn't so distracted by trying to break her baby. Crazy hyena really wanted to kill that baby. And Nomikos only took it out once (presumably) the full moon had passed and crazy hyena became a crazy naked human which isn't much of a threat.

I am leaving fishy in my quote on the last page for posterity, never forget :colbert:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Krysmphoenix posted:

So for my Soundsense thing, I need to ask this of the overseers, and I guess anyone else in general. About how often does the Fiendish Murk and how long does it lurk around in our time? Is it related to the biome (like swamp, desert, mountain, that stuff) at all?

Because if it's appearing every five minutes while playing the game at full FPS, I don't want to be spamming a song constantly. That'd get boring and annoying really fast. Or I guess could just put more songs into the Fiendish Murk category, and that becomes your "Evil Biome" standard playlist.

Also, love the update. First blood, and wasn't expecting a were-creature already. Even if they aren't super deadly.

I've had one once every ten or fifteen minutes of play so far, at the FPS noted. One seems to turn up once a month, in-game, on average.

I've mailed Leperflesh about whether I should do an interlude on the werehyena and its ilk, and I'm going to be doing an interlude on all the immigrants (we had a wave of 25 this time) tomorrow evening, if time permits. Either way, things are happening there, and I'm hoping (vainly, I'm assuming) that more crap won't hit the fortress... I'm moderately experienced (despite certain things having gotten on top of me), but I'm not so good with sieges and the like...

EDIT: Judging by how quickly it mauled the lamb and the baby, once Nomikos got tired, she would have been dog meat. Also, I knew I was never going to be able to live that down, edit or no. Oh, well, life goes on, and I have another update (in another thread) to work on before bed.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Len Kisnastorspa, a god-sent babyslayer

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
drat I never managed to get to a werecreature before it changed back and got rear end-hosed by my militia. Sorry little baby.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
The greatest honour for a Dwarven baby is to be used as a living-shield by it's mother.

John Charity Spring has died a noble Dwarven death, and although the loss has hit Nomikos and i poo poo trains hard, they can rest easy, safe in the knowledge that he rots for all eternity with great Ugath beneath the earth.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Nomikos posted:

pre:
I do not see the point.

Genius.

mtrc
Mar 29, 2011

THE FUTURE, YOU GUYS
Bronzestabbed is feeling quite an apt name after having a bronze spear brutally avenge the death of the fortress' first born.

New motif! Screw the kestrel.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

FinalSin posted:

Bronzestabbed is feeling quite an apt name after having a bronze spear brutally avenge the death of the fortress' first born.
I'm pretty sure this post by itself summons a bronze colossus to the fortress.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Third-born, actually, but close enough. Poor John Charity Spring.

mtrc
Mar 29, 2011

THE FUTURE, YOU GUYS

Revenant Threshold posted:

I'm pretty sure this post by itself summons a bronze colossus to the fortress.

FinalSin cancels tempt fate.

Pure Kamikaze
Aug 4, 2008
More music! a Dirge for our first fallen.

Never forget!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I was inspired by the fight between Nomikos and the Hyena.

EDIT: Oops, wrong color. Hold on a sec.

Is 800px breaking tables? I usually try and stay under 600 but I couldn't help myself... :ohdear:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 10, 2012

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Oh, I just noticed I did the hyena the wrong color!

Here's the correct version:

Also I was disappointed to find in the Legends mode that he's not a historical figure (or else he's a very recent one).

edit: haha, I love her beard.

Qwo fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 10, 2012

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Qwo posted:

Also I was disappointed to find in the Legends mode that he's not a historical figure (or else he's a very recent one).

No, he exists... he just has a longass name that bears little relation to the one he's noted as in Dorf mode. You'll see tomorrow.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 10, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ooh, don't long names generally mean lots of kills? If he's notable enough, someone could get a named weapon (or a named dwarf!) out of this.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Qwo posted:

edit: haha, I love her beard.

Thanks, that was something of a happy accident.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
I've got to ask: what was the fishy business with the screenshots?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
It's a secret.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

Is 800px breaking tables? I usually try and stay under 600 but I couldn't help myself... :ohdear:

800 is fine and I think generally you can go up to 1024 wide without much complaint. Any larger and you should either crop or timg it.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

TremendousMajestic posted:

Fishy business? You mean them appearing, disappearing, and changing? To lay this bare, here are the three iterations I posted, then removed:

Version 1 (Original):

Wrong spear color.

Version 2:

Corrected spear color.

Version 3:

Added motion blur, tweaked camera angle and added blood spray.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Three-Phase posted:

I was inspired by the fight between Nomikos and the Hyena.

EDIT: Oops, wrong color. Hold on a sec.

Please don't stop

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Three-Phase posted:

Fishy business? You mean them appearing, disappearing, and changing? To lay this bare, here are the three iterations I posted, then removed:

I think he was referring to the "fishy" comments about the overseer update. To which I can only state that yes, it was indeed fishy, and TOTALLY SECRET I GUESS YOU'LL NEVER KNOW :haw:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lego Dwarf Fabio, stabbing bitches, saving babies.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

I've been sitting on these two for a while, waiting until something like this happened.

One for the rush into battle:

Nomikos posted:

pre:
I do not see the point.

And one for the dead:

Also never stop the Lego.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Oh, and this is the NON-CANONICAL version that wasn't really meant for public consumption... but...

You know those Eastern European nobles...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Loden Taylor posted:

And one for the dead:

Would this properly be called a concerto?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Leperflesh posted:

Would this properly be called a concerto?

A dirge? Nah, it's not quite a dirge.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Nah, to be a piano concerto, it'd have to be several movements long and would do a lot more to showcase the piano. Since the piano is the primary instrument, you could call it a piano solo with string accompaniment, but it's not really long enough to develop the piano as a solo voice. The best label is probably "chamber piece," which is a catch-all that covers anything written for multiple instruments; generally speaking more than 2 or 3, but less than a full orchestra or band.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

TremendousMajestic posted:

One of the screenshots showed a Werecarp in the unit list, which hadn't yet been mentioned, and so it sort of spoiled the next update. But we all made a blood oath to not mention it ever again.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TildeATH posted:

One of the screenshots showed a Werecarp in the unit list, which hadn't yet been mentioned, and so it sort of spoiled the next update. But we all made a blood oath to not mention it ever again.

Ha, that'd be pretty great if real. But really, it was a screenshot of a fisherdwarf getting caught in the murk.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Leperflesh posted:

e. goddamn, I remember one set has a pair of stone-throwing catapults...

Have they changed the "feature" where even very light thrown objects (clothing) could cause fatal injuries? At least in Adventurer mode?

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

TildeATH posted:

One of the screenshots showed a XXXXXXXX in the unit list, which hadn't yet been mentioned, and so it sort of spoiled the next update. But we all made a blood oath to not mention it ever again.

Edit that out, man! I didn't know until now!

e: Wait, am I being messed with? I don't even know anymore. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Van Kraken posted:

Edit that out, man! I didn't know until now!

e: Wait, am I being messed with? I don't even know anymore. :v:

I don't want to tell you flat out, but I will say there are fewer than two werecarps on the map. :haw:

• Locked thread