Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
So I managed to watch what's out so far; me and my friends went through the first four episodes in one sitting.

drat if this show doesn't have charm.

Also liking the constant feeling that poo poo is on the verge of and/or approaching a state of gettin' REAL. You know. Narratively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
This show is so great, I'm still laughing at this from the fourth episode:

"If she says no, I'll die from sadness."
"I can verify that that will indeed happen."

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Goddamn you all, how are you watching episode 5 already? :argh:
And how do I work this Tumblr, drat kids with your internet boxes.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Nicely done. You've got her cheeks perfect, which is something that no-other fanart that I've seen do yet.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I erased and redrew those cheeks so many times, it's strange how hard it was to get right.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

I feel like this a Zoofights competitor in the making. Also more on topic this show is amazing and I have gotten several people addicted to it. Anybody not hooked from the first episode definitely wants more after episode two's hamster ball scene.

Reginaldavid
Sep 30, 2006
beautiful cretin
You say you want a Gravity Falls adventure game?

And oh man I love the amount of detail in this show. I've been introducing the show to friends with the Gobblewonker episode, and only on the third viewing I noticed how McGucket visibly stomps and presses an offscreen pedal that makes the projector unfold, just so he can show people his slides as easily as possible--and then the fact that the hatch lid on the robot serves as the projector's screen is staring you in the face but it's such a clever touch!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Reginaldavid posted:

You say you want a Gravity Falls adventure game?

And oh man I love the amount of detail in this show. I've been introducing the show to friends with the Gobblewonker episode, and only on the third viewing I noticed how McGucket visibly stomps and presses an offscreen pedal that makes the projector unfold, just so he can show people his slides as easily as possible--and then the fact that the hatch lid on the robot serves as the projector's screen is staring you in the face but it's such a clever touch!

This game loving enrages me because they way Disney's website is set up to serve non-US IPs means that I can't loving play it :argh: (I'm australian and the australian disney site has aproximately 0 anything on gravity falls at all)

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
So what have all the codes/messages been? I saw that the first one was "Welcome to Gravity Falls" but I don't think I've seen anything posted about the recent ones.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
There is one in the adventure game.

HYHV ORWLFG VWPQV WPWWRR

Pretty sure the last word is "tattoo."

Serious Cephalopod fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 10, 2012

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

nonconsensualninja posted:

There is one in the adventure game.

HYHV ORWLFG VWPQV WPWWRR

Pretty sure the last word is "tattoo."

"Ever notice Stan's tattoo?"

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Wow, I totally fell in love with the show. It's like Sam and Max meets Ducktales. I dunno why it works, but it does. It's cute and it feels like the animators care.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

So what have all the codes/messages been? I saw that the first one was "Welcome to Gravity Falls" but I don't think I've seen anything posted about the recent ones.

As far as I recall they're:

1: Welcome to Gravity Falls.
2: Next week: Return to Butt Island
3: He’s still in the vents.
4: Carla, why won’t you call me?

There's also "Stan is not what he seems" from the intro image.

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
Yes, this show has all the mass appeal that I expected, all along!

I decided to show Gravity Falls to 3 of my friends at their apartment yesterday. The verdict is in: they freaking love this show! We burned through all 4 of the episodes thus far in one sitting. Besides the undeniable charm throughout the whole show, the thing that really sold everyone on it was Mabel Pines.

Kristen Schaal, I salute you, for you voice two of my favorite animated characters (both Louise from Bob's Burgers, and of course Mabel in this). :allears:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

KenjiKaizoku posted:

Kristen Schaal, I salute you, for you voice two of my favorite animated characters (both Louise from Bob's Burgers, and of course Mabel in this). :allears:

Kristen Schaal is goddamn amazing. Her character in Flight of the Conchords is pretty much a grown up Mabel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVj12bPIEHU

I would love for a Brett and Jermaine cameo in some form. They could be a TV show!

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 10, 2012

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Gotta say I haven't laughed this often or consistently at a television series since Arrested Development. I'm finding the same problem that I had with that series, there's too many funny moments and they're too organic to really explain the quality of the show, you just have to show people and then they get it. The humor in this series is impressive in a way that goes beyond 'pretty good for a kids show'.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Before this thread, I knew nothing of the show. I was actually looking for the Falling Skies thread, forgot the name of the show, got lost, and ended up here. What a lucky mistake!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ha, this is pretty funny. The best part is when you get to the living room, and hover the cursor over the rug.

Edit: You look good today. Unlike Yesterday...yikes!

Double edit: I also made a thing!

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 10, 2012

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Recommended this to a friend and he says he wanted to like the show but claims its nothing more than Invader Zim lite :psyduck: I asked him to explain and he said the show has the same humor, that Dipper is Dib, and Mabel is a happier Gaz. I also found out a bunch of others recommended it to him and I have a feeling he's one of those people where if anything is popular it is bad cause there's like nothing this show has in common with Invader Zim besides the paranormal stuff and the Mabel = Gaz thing has thrown me for a loop since they're pretty much exact opposites

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I never really liked Invader Zim. I think it always felt to cynical for me. Despite the dark underpinnings of the location, Gravity Falls is a lot less bleak.
Also, I think Jhonen Vasquez was always morbid for the sake of being morbid, like later-era Tim Burton. I had a bunch of friends who were nuts over his stuff, but I could never get into it.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Recommended this to a friend and he says he wanted to like the show but claims its nothing more than Invader Zim lite :psyduck: I asked him to explain and he said the show has the same humor, that Dipper is Dib, and Mabel is a happier Gaz. I also found out a bunch of others recommended it to him and I have a feeling he's one of those people where if anything is popular it is bad cause there's like nothing this show has in common with Invader Zim besides the paranormal stuff and the Mabel = Gaz thing has thrown me for a loop since they're pretty much exact opposites

Ignoring that tonally they are polar opposites, in the earlier episodes I can kind of see it. From the paranormal angle and how Dipper seems to be the only one that actually sees the various cryptids and conspiracies and everyone else thinks he's crazy.

But after episodes 4 & 5 it seems like people in the Gravity Falls universe are much more open and complacent about the supernatural. Invader Zim had all that cranked up to 11, where the regular people were willfully ignorant to the point where they ignored their planet being almost thrown into a dying sun and Dib was fanatical about proving that aliens are real. Dipper, on the other hand, takes the supernatural in stride and is instead concerned with how it affects his more fundamental needs like looking cool in front of the older girl he has a crush on or making a lot of money.

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

I never really liked Invader Zim. I think it always felt to cynical for me. Despite the dark underpinnings of the location, Gravity Falls is a lot less bleak.
Also, I think Jhonen Vasquez was always morbid for the sake of being morbid, like later-era Tim Burton. I had a bunch of friends who were nuts over his stuff, but I could never get into it.

I think that the world that Zim occupied was the best thing about that show. It's just such a grotesque, frightening, dangerous place. Even a simple commercial for aspirin is winds up being a grotesque parody of advertising where some guy just walking down the sidewalk suddenly has his spine snap in half like a toothpick.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If Invader Zim had been left to die a natural death to be rediscovered later, it would be infinitely more tolerable. Unfortunately, the manner in which it lived on was rather poisonous. But it's difficult for me to watch the episode where he's selling candy bars door-to-door and not crack a giant-rear end smile, remembering having to do it as a kid and having it be only a slightly less exaggerated version of that.

It is nothing like Gravity Falls though, what the gently caress?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm sure many of you have seen this, but several of the background artists and so on have art blogs. And they are loving AMAZING.

http://www.imseanjimenez.blogspot.co.uk/

http://smoothtrooper.blogspot.co.uk/
http://ellemichalka.tumblr.com/

http://rparpan.blogspot.co.uk/

http://enworrel.blogspot.co.uk/

Incidentally Ian Worrel (Art Director) also was responsible for this:
http://ianworrel2.blogspot.co.uk/

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Pick posted:

If Invader Zim had been left to die a natural death to be rediscovered later, it would be infinitely more tolerable. Unfortunately, the manner in which it lived on was rather poisonous. But it's difficult for me to watch the episode where he's selling candy bars door-to-door and not crack a giant-rear end smile, remembering having to do it as a kid and having it be only a slightly less exaggerated version of that.

It is nothing like Gravity Falls though, what the gently caress?

I think the guy was just trying to compare it to a show with a fandom he didn't like. There are plenty of fandoms to compare this show's fans to that at least make a bit of logical sense, if not actual sense. Invader Zim just has a wildly different style to this show. It's not to say it's better or worse though.

ilc23
Jun 30, 2012
I like this show quite a bit. My girlfriend on the other hand does not.
First world problems. :sigh:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cool! Can I do one too!! Uh why am I asking, I just did it. It's here.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Ignimbrite posted:

This game loving enrages me because they way Disney's website is set up to serve non-US IPs means that I can't loving play it :argh: (I'm australian and the australian disney site has aproximately 0 anything on gravity falls at all)

I submit that The Secret World is practically Gravity Falls the video game.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Quest For Glory II posted:

Far out, that's much better than the youtube one, captures far more of the instruments.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

That's awesome. I want to play a video game to this right now.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Amazing.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

That is excellent. :golfclap:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Way better than the ones I've been hearing around. I absolutely adore this! It even has its own flavor and isn't just trying to be "the 8-bit version." Is there a chance you could upload it somewhere where it's easy to download from (like dropbox or something)?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think this shows theme would be well suited to the electric flute. As it is, it really makes me wish that I could whistle better.

Are there professional whistlers who are hired to do this sort of thing?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

This is awesome. It reminds me of Megaman a little bit

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Why is Dipper the only main cast member with a non-name name? We got Mabel, Stan, Wendy, and I'm going with my theory that Soos is a mispronunciation of/nickname for Zeus.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maybe it's just a nickname?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure Soos's name is word play relating to the spanish pronunciation of Jesus: "Hey, soos".

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cause Dipper is an awesome name for a necrotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

I don't like Dipper's name because some people I knew in high school liked to do chewing tobacco, and they called themselves dippers. They were also douchebags.

Dipper is cool though.

• Locked thread