Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm not bothered by them making a joke kickstarter as much as I am by the fact that it's probably going to work and they're completely duping a "loyal fanbase" to make some sort of backhanded point about crowd funding.

But hey, people will support this so they'll get more dickwolves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Juc66 posted:

They don't need the money, there's no reason to even take it.

And squeezing money from their audience?
That's ridiculous.

No one has to put any money into this thing at all, and if they do for whatever reason, they found value in putting their money toward this.
Also, this isn't like indiegogo, they won't just walk away with the cash unless they get the full 250.

They aren't holding anything hostage, they're not coercing anybody to put a single penny into this stuff.

This is a doubly kinda lame joke.
They're making a ridiculous kickstarter to make fun of kickstarter, and also it looks to me like they're insulting the folks who think Penny Arcade should be ad free with no merchandise or any other way for them to make money, because those ridiculous numbers are what it'd take.

It's a joke.

If you don't think it's funny, that's fine, if you're bent out of shape because you think it's serious ... just relax, even if it is serious if people want to piss away their money on this that's the business of those stupid people, and not really something worth spending time caring about.

You contradict yourself so many times that I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I really don't see the point in pissing off their advertisers for the sake of a joke. Not to mention yet another PR nightmare for the sake of a joke they did a year ago.

Really, the flaw here was hosting it on KS. They could have done it one their site or through an actual donation-collecting third-party, and few people would have been upset.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

"They don't need the money, so they won't take it" is probably the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard.

I need to think for a second...no. Nope. Misunderstanding the basic human concept of greed is the dumbest loving thing I've ever heard.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
OK fine.

Al! fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 10, 2012

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rorus Raz posted:

I really don't see the point in pissing off their advertisers for the sake of a joke. Not to mention yet another PR nightmare for the sake of a joke they did a year ago.

I take it you're not aware of the PA guys' MO then. That's exactly the sort of dumb loving thing G and T would do. Some people have claimed it's even a pushback against the Feminist Frequency thing; I don't believe that, but that'd be a totally apropros thing for them to additionally do, since it's based off them being vitriolically offensive to feminists and feminism in general for no reason other than to be assholes.

But no, I'm not really attributing this to hilarity so much as basic human greed, since that makes more sense.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Al! posted:

Hey maybe they'll turn out to be good guys and donate all the money for toys for children who can already afford medical care.

Tell us more about how you hate kids not having to feel even worse when holed up in the hospital for long periods of time and how you have no idea what Child's Play actually does :allears:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Al! posted:

Hey maybe they'll turn out to be good guys and donate all the money for toys for children who can already afford medical care.

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Tell us more about how you hate kids not having to feel even worse when holed up in the hospital for long periods of time and how you have no idea what Child's Play actually does :allears:

Nope nope nope we're not doing this again

Shut up both of you, don't bring CP into this, debate the merits of the KS by itself removed from the context of that charity they founded

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I'm pretty sure they donate evil dolls possessed with the soul of a serial killer to children.

purple prime
Aug 4, 2005
I was thinking about donating to Ouya for that console. It'll be closed out before I even get off work.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

The Penny Arcade guys do Good Things and just because they're making The Worst Kickstarter doesn't invalidate other Good Things they've done. Likewise, Good Things don't make The Worst Kickstarter any better.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

greatn posted:

I'm pretty sure they donate evil dolls possessed with the soul of a serial killer to children.

That only happened six times.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

purple prime posted:

I was thinking about donating to Ouya for that console. It'll be closed out before I even get off work.

They will definitely be out of consoles at the reasonable level... at the time of this posting, they had 212 193 left.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

purple prime posted:

You better hurry up. Less than 200 left, and going FAST!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

They just bumped the number of $99 consoles from 5000 to 10000.

Can someone edit this to include Ouya-relevant people/product?

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Occupation posted:

"They don't need the money, so they won't take it" is probably the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard.

I need to think for a second...no. Nope. Misunderstanding the basic human concept of greed is the dumbest loving thing I've ever heard.

They've pissed away many thousands of dollars in the past for their weird moral code.
This wouldn't be out of line for them.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

zenintrude posted:

They will definitely be out of consoles at the reasonable level... at the time of this posting, they had 212 193 left.
I'm sure they'll just add an equally priced tier to sell more, they'd be stupid not to.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'm sure they'll just add an equally priced tier to sell more, they'd be stupid not to.

They already doubled the count to 10,000 units.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Ouya's tech specs aren't there to compete in the same market as the 360 and PS3 which aren't that much more expensive, and the majority of Android gamers are plugging a loving controller into their phone and tablets to run N64 emulators. Ouya is a bigger joke than PA's kickstarter at this point.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Jefferoo posted:

Ouya's tech specs aren't there to compete in the same market as the 360 and PS3 which aren't that much more expensive, and the majority of Android gamers are plugging a loving controller into their phone and tablets to run N64 emulators. Ouya is a bigger joke than PA's kickstarter at this point.

The 360 and PS3 cost literally twice as much money, the tech specs have it only being slightly less powerful when you consider the actual performance of the 360 and PS3 GPUs and having it run Android is great because it makes it an easy platform to target for smaller developers who don't have a chance on literally every other console on the market.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How is PA's ks just a way to pay for business costs in a way that Rich Burlew's "give me money to republish these previous published books" wasn't? It seems the main difference is Rich Burlew is likable and much more talented, but it's still not a new project, it's the cost of business.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Here is a thread for OUYA talk

... as for the PA talk, uh, I mostly just wish PA hadn't done this thing that they did. Bizarre. Do try to keep it on point instead of chatty, so this thread doesn't become entirely That Place To Talk About PA Screwing A/O Saving Us All. If this thread turns chatty catty, we'll have to take measures, which would suck.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
Would people feel better about the PA thing if, instead of going through Kickstarter, they sold a $25 "membership" that was basically just a login that removed the ads and gave you access to a few special featured comics or something? Lots of webcomics have been doing that for a long time and nobody seems to have any problem with it.

Hostile Rabbi
Jun 25, 2005

by Ralp

anotherone posted:

Would people feel better about the PA thing if, instead of going through Kickstarter, they sold a $25 "membership" that was basically just a login that removed the ads and gave you access to a few special featured comics or something? Lots of webcomics have been doing that for a long time and nobody seems to have any problem with it.

Given that (almost) everyone posting in this thread paid :10bux: to post on SA, I don't think there would be too much righteous indignation.

This whole thing is just weird.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001

Hostile Rabbi posted:

Given that (almost) everyone posting in this thread paid :10bux: to post on SA, I don't think there would be too much righteous indignation.

What's the difference, then, if instead of selling a $25 membership, they take $25 pledges from whoever would sign up for a theoretical "Penny Arcade Membership", and then give everyone the membership benefits? This is the public radio model, it seems to work (to a point) for them.

They will make more than $1M, don't worry about that.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

anotherone posted:

What's the difference, then, if instead of selling a $25 membership, they take $25 pledges from whoever would sign up for a theoretical "Penny Arcade Membership", and then give everyone the membership benefits? This is the public radio model, it seems to work (to a point) for them.

They will make more than $1M, don't worry about that.

Considering how the pledges have slowed to a crawl over the last few hours I doubt they're going to do much more than break even + $20k or so.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, Ars Technica has been doing a $25 yearly membership for a long while now, for that matter. My issue with them using Kickstarter is that it fails a whole rainbow of requirements to be considered a backable project. There's bound to be at least one crowdsourcing site that allows 'fund my life' and 'pay my ongoing business expenses' 'projects'.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Why do some of you think the Penny Arcade guys have an axe to grind against Kickstarter? They made one comic about it months before Double Fine started the current craze. Since Double Fine, they have been supportive with Tycho regularly posting about Kickstarters, especially for board games and tabletop RPGs.

I won't contribute because I don't have a problem with ads, but I don't get all the hostility (aside from the residual Dickwolves hate).

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I don't see why this is much different than any other donation-drive-funded media (NPR, etc). What's the big deal.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the main problem people have is it is using Kickstarter for purposes not intended for Kickstarter that may in fact be against Kickstarter's rules. There is going to be a lot of anger and frustration too if and when Kickstarter enforces that rule. This kind of project could open floodgates on the site for things that are not new projects or creating new things of value.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001

greatn posted:

I think the main problem people have is it is using Kickstarter for purposes not intended for Kickstarter that may in fact be against Kickstarter's rules. There is going to be a lot of anger and frustration too if and when Kickstarter enforces that rule. This kind of project could open floodgates on the site for things that are not new projects or creating new things of value.

Other comics have used Kickstarter for the exact same thing:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1798142889/the-abaddon

and Gabe says that Kickstarter's cool with it:
https://twitter.com/cwgabriel/status/222800585043357696

edit- the "Project" that they're funding is "a year of comics". If they don't make the money they're trying to make, they'll still make the comics, except they'll fund it by selling your eyeballs to ad companies. This is exactly what Kickstarter is for: A way to raise money to fund a thing. There are lots of Kickstarters that are like "Fund my African photosafari" or "we need money to record an album"- it's not all fancy watch presales.

anotherone fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 10, 2012

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Wow, honestly I think Gabe and Tycho are assholes but this is kind of an interesting idea. Finding a way to completely circumvent advertising and all the inevitable conflicts of interest that creates would be awesome.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Definitely the worst Kickstarter I've ever seen. Not sure what they're really aiming for here, because the joke isn't that funny.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Anemone Thief posted:

The Tegra3 is pretty powerful for a mobile chip.

To be honest, $95 for a powerful nettop and a decent controller is something i'd drop my money on. Worth it for being able to play emulated SNES/N64/PS1 games for me

You could get that with a 360 controller and a laptop from 10 years ago. I'll never understand why people on this forum will fall over themselves to waste money on something just for the sake of emulators.

Then again, I'll never understand why anyone would willingly give money to the talentless shitbirds responsible for Penny Arcade either.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 10, 2012

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

Definitely the worst Kickstarter I've ever seen. Not sure what they're really aiming for here, because the joke isn't that funny.

I think they are aiming to remove ads from their site? I think Gabe and Tycho are unfunny dickheads but how does this not make sense:

The penny arcade guys need a million dollars a year to keep running PAX and making rape jokes and just being them. Normally they get paid a million dollars a year by advertising but now they are aiming to replace that with donations.

It's not a joke. The reward tiers are bad because the objective is not to give rewards, but to get money.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Because Kickstarter is about creating new content with crowdfunding, not paying to remove content.

Sure, you can pay more to eventually get new content but the main focus is just paying for them to switch revenue streams.

But you know, with this Kickstarter I guess my original sentence isn't true. So I guess anything goes at this point.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.

cydereal posted:

So the Retrovirus kickstarter failed pretty hard. I wanted to give you guys some details, because even in failure we fall into a pretty interesting group.

As part of your drive to secure the funds you need to finish Retrovirus, would you consider releasing DLC levels for Sol Survivor? Please?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Because Kickstarter is about creating new content with crowdfunding, not paying to remove content.

Sure, you can pay more to eventually get new content but the main focus is just paying for them to switch revenue streams.

Yeah, they'll switch revenues and then continue to produce new content. How are the comics, shows, and blog posts not new content? I don't think we can call this paying to remove content, because ads don't count as such in the first place. Ads are just noise.

Beanpants posted:

And no matter how you slice it, that $7500 pay-to-work intern for a day tier is loving disgusting.

This is the closest to a reasonable objection I've seen so far, though I'm still not sure if I'd call it disgusting. They're offering 2 and have sold one already, but I hope the people buying them aren't doing it as a stab in the dark to pad a resume / get a job interview or something. I somehow doubt anyone'll get college credit for it. Still, you know what you're paying for and if you have that sort of cash to drop I think it's your business if you want to. It could certainly be incredibly exploitative, but I think it depends more on the means of the person who put the money down.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 11, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The difference here is that they'll produce new content regardless. It doesn't change anything aside from ads disappearing. The money isn't really going towards new content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

The difference here is that they'll produce new content regardless. It doesn't change anything aside from ads disappearing. The money isn't really going towards new content.

They're saying they'll be able to make new content with the ads being gone. I'm not kidding, this is a thing they loving said.