Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If Google makes something I can strap my rear end onto and hurtle into space I'd totally give them my money.

Actually, I have a Nexus phone... maybe I'll just wait for James Cameron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

1)Congratulations on completely missing the point then.

2)Exactly, and I have no idea how that was unclear considering I stated exactly why the shuttle was a failure!

3)I have no idea how you get "gently caress space exploration" out of that.

1)Your point, now that I know a little more about what it was your were trying to convey, was ambiguous at best. So what I'm saying is, you suck at making points. Also, you even admitted your ignorance when the picture I had posted was not of the actually space shuttle, but of the scaled down version created for the Air Force's own program.

2)It was unclear because, it was unclear. You just said DoD and some :downswords: and then assumed your audience would know you were talking about whatever shortcomings that were in your head that you had failed to present in your post. It was just "gently caress the shuttle" "gently caress DoD involvement" with almost no substance to support your claim.

3)We interpreted it as, "gently caress space exploration", because you flat out said "the shuttle sucks dick" when, whatever it shortcomings may be, will still be regarded in history as one of the biggest steps we have taken towards our venturing out into space.

You see, it was your tone. Your attitude that was all wrong. Though, now that you have clarified your point a little better, I see where you are coming from.

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 6, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

truth masseuse posted:

3)We interpreted it as, "gently caress space exploration", because you flat out said "the shuttle sucks dick" when, whatever it shortcomings may be, will still be regarded in history as one of the biggest steps we have taken towards our venturing out into space.

You see, it was your tone. Your attitude that was all wrong. Though, now that you have clarified your point a little better, I see where you are coming from.

It'll be regarded as why space exploration stagnated for 40+ years.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

It'll be regarded as why space exploration stagnated for 40+ years.

You cannot blame NASA for overextending the shuttle program. They did what they could with the funds allocated to them. If you want to blame anyone, it is our elected officials who have continued to fail our generation. Many of these elderly, rich, white gentlemen should not be allowed to continue to steal our oxygen. Also, blame yourself. When is the last time you called your Senator or Congressman and complained that they need to invest more in STEM and NASA and less in poo poo projects like the Osprey as I pointed out earlier. I know my congressmen, Pat Meehan is a special kind of piece of poo poo who hopefully will only be a single term congressman.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

truth masseuse posted:

You cannot blame NASA for overextending the shuttle program. They did what they could with the funds allocated to them. If you want to blame anyone, it is our elected officials who have continued to fail our generation. Many of these elderly, rich, white gentlemen should not be allowed to continue to steal our oxygen. Also, blame yourself. When is the last time you called your Senator or Congressman and complained that they need to invest more in STEM and NASA and less in poo poo projects like the Osprey as I pointed out earlier. I know my congressmen, Pat Meehan is a special kind of piece of poo poo who hopefully will only be a single term congressman.

e:We were all quick to organize a blackout for SOPA. I'd have no problem participating in a day long blackout where I do nothing but harass congressmen and senators all mother loving day. Because, honestly, gently caress the lot of them.

Well, this is embarrassing. mea culpa.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

truth masseuse posted:

I never said I blamed NASA.

And just because the Osprey was a boondoggle (though they apparently work quite well now, which can never be said of the shuttle) doesn't excuse the shuttle. I'm all for funding the poo poo out of NASA and defunding the military, which given how I've talked poo poo about the DoD this entire discussion should be obvious.

Donna Edwards is all about STEM.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Hey guys, have you seen the Stargate thread?

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

golgo13sf posted:

Hey guys, have you seen the Stargate thread?

Noted. Sorry for the derail. So, Teyla is probably the best character in all of Stargate.

e: Theories as to why this romance never quite took off?

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 6, 2012

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I wish Teyla sang in every episode.

My people.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

truth masseuse posted:

Theories as to why this romance never quite took off?

Because dragging out "will they or won't they" is a cynical but effective way to keep viewers. See also: The X-Files.

There was a cut scene in that Atlantis episode where her, Rodney and Keller are stuck underground which had Carter pretty much confirming they were a couple, if I remember right.

Jo Mallozi talked about this scene back when he did a blog on Gateworld, fans then mailed the studio demanding to see it, and he suddenly stopped blogging there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Haywood Japwnme posted:

I wish Teyla sang in every episode.

My people.

I wish Telya sang me to sleep every night.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

truth masseuse posted:

So, Teyla is probably the best character in all of Stargate.

The only thing which could have made SGU any more perfect than it already was would have been the inclusion of a Teyla singing montage in every episode.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Flatscan posted:

The only thing which could have made SGU any more perfect than it already was would have been the inclusion of a Teyla singing montage in every episode.

Too much hate on SGU in this thread. I mean, poo poo, it had Col. La Bamba.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Senor Tron posted:

I assume that a properly managed Stargate actually requires very little power to function. The DHD delicately manages the gate in a way that a wormhole is easily established. Using a DHD is like opening a doorway, manual dialing is like smashing through a wall.

We've seen that it can be powered from the other side if it has a functioning DHD as long as you've got enough power to start the connection, a bolt of lightning or something like that.

vvv Something involving reproductive organs?

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 7, 2012

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

We've seen that it can be powered from the other side if it has a functioning DHD as long as you've got enough power to start the connection, like a bolt of lightning or something like that.

Bolt of lightning. That's nothing. McKay once started a Stargate using an Electroencephalograph and about two dozen electrodes hooked up to his massive brain. :colbert:

I'd like to see Carter top that.

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 7, 2012

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

vvv Something involving reproductive organs?

She would start the gate with her body, but you see, her reproductive organs are on the inside...

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
e: grammar.

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 7, 2012

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I'm not seeing what the big deal is, warp drive was discovered after a world war that killed tons of people and we skipped out on the eugenics wars so we're going pretty good so far. We have the stargate so it's not like we need ships to explore other worlds any way. It all has to be made in America though, don't want those god drat aliens taking our jobs, the same ones that got killed off by space vampires. :rolleyes:

Yaos fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 7, 2012

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

McSpanky posted:

She would start the gate with her body, but you see, her reproductive organs are on the inside...

Oh no... what have you done??

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I've been watching the series over since I missed quite a few episodes. I'm only a little ways in to season 2, but so far every single episode involving Teal'c's family is awful. His kid is stupid, his wife is stupid, neither of them can act, and it's just a big mopey turd every time.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
So Comic Con has been and gone - does anyone know what this big Stargate-related announcement we were supposed to get was?

I've looked on Gateworld and they've not got anything listed so I assume that it was a lot of fuss for nothing....

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think the company that was creating the game smartened up when they realized there has never been a good Stargate game that sold.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Zaroff posted:

So Comic Con has been and gone - does anyone know what this big Stargate-related announcement we were supposed to get was?

I've looked on Gateworld and they've not got anything listed so I assume that it was a lot of fuss for nothing....

On facebook today, they had this:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=394062330651104&set=a.343038045753533.78983.280679601989378&type=1

That's about all I got.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

James R posted:

There really is a Stargate. Remember the episode with Wormhole X-Treme? Meta!

This sculpture that sits in Phoenix, AZ would like to vindicate you.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I found out my neighbor loved the movie, I have now gotten him onto watching SG1. Another convert for the cause!

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

Zaroff posted:

A Stargate app, apparently.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stargate-command/id537683105?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

JetsGuy posted:

I found out my neighbor loved the movie, I have now gotten him onto watching SG1. Another convert for the cause!

What's our cause again? Spreading Origin?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

truth masseuse posted:

What's our cause again? Spreading Origin?

No but we are teaching everyone that The Ancients were huge dicks

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Downloaded the app. Free is a good price for it, I'd be annoyed if I paid like 2-3$ for it. It's exactly what they say, you can just sorta navigate the SGC and they have little snippets on items strewn about. Most of them are less descriptive than the stargate wikis of course.

The golf game is kinda fun, and is pretty much the only saving grace that if it were a dollar, I'd be ok with it.

EDIT: oh for gently caress sake, there's EXTRA CONTENT (TM) that you can pay for. :argh: I take it all back, they don't even have the labs or anything, they just have the embarkation room and the adjoining offices. Sigh.

bobkatt013 posted:

Pretty much this.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 19, 2012

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

bobkatt013 posted:

Not all of them. The unfrozen south pole chick with the dreadlocks was like some sort of female Jesus. She came back to life and then died for the sins of SG-1. What's more, she actually pretended to like Jonas Quinn.

Then again, the rest of The Ancients left her stranded on Earth a million years ago, those loving dicks.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Noni posted:

Not all of them. The unfrozen south pole chick with the dreadlocks was like some sort of female Jesus. She came back to life and then died for the sins of SG-1. What's more, she actually pretended to like Jonas Quinn.

Then again, the rest of The Ancients left her stranded on Earth a million years ago, those loving dicks.

Merlin was a decent Ancient in assisting to get rid of the Ori. But then again he did invad Daniel's mind which could have killed him. What a dick.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

truth masseuse posted:

Merlin was a decent Ancient in assisting to get rid of the Ori. But then again he did invad Daniel's mind which could have killed him. What a dick.

Weren't the Ori just a group of Ancients with different beliefs? In that case, the Ancients really a dicks. Maybe being a dick is part of an Ancient's biology, only the Ori turned their dickish nature into an entire religion.

Then again, the presence of the Ancient Technology Activation gene (among other lesser-mentioned "Ancient" genes) poses a certain problem: The source of the gene is said to be Ancients on earth who interbred with humans. They didn't explain this as being due to genetic modification of early humans, but actual interbreeding with Ancients stuck on earth. This means they had offspring. Because the gene survived, the offspring were unlike mules and other hybrids and were capable of reproducing.

By the sexual definition of a species, that makes Ancients and early humans one and the same. Hell, even the Wraith were Ancients, only transformed by endosymbiosis with some stupid insect.

QED. Every species is secretly "The Ancients" and we're all dicks. Everything bad that has ever been done by humans, Wraith, Ori, Jaffa, or any other major Stargate group can be blamed on The Ancients using this loophole.

Noni fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 20, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah they're ancients who went about ascension in a different way or some poo poo where they needed humans to believe in them.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
The Ori were Ancients who decided the whole god-like worshipped thing was pretty cool and ran with it.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

IRQ posted:

Yeah they're ancients who went about ascension in a different way or some poo poo where they needed humans to believe in them.

I think I mentally blocked that part out to save myself from the trauma. Thanks, jerk. This is like suddenly remembering being fondled by a clown on my sixth birthday.

I'm imagining there is this big round bin in the old Stargate writers room that is labeled "Ideas!" During the third season of SG-1, that bin was so full of loose scraps of paper that you had to stomp on it just to close the lid. Writers used those scraps to light their cigars and wipe their asses, that's how plentiful they were. Then, six years later, everyone was sitting silently in the room, waiting for inspiration to strike. The oldest writer got up and hobbled over to the closet, grabbed the idea bin, and turned it upside down over the table. A large puff of dust and two scraps of paper fell out.

The first one said, "Bad guys powered by prayer energy and they're really The Ancients." The second scrap said, "A fat kid gets lost in space."

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Hey guys, there's still a ton of SG-1 I haven't seen so I'm making my second attempt to watch the whole thing in order from the beginning (first attempt was a few months ago and got side-tracked by RL problems).

IIRC there was an old Let's Watch thread floating around ages ago...anyone still have a link to that? I want to read other people's reactions as I go but lots of spoilers in this thread. :ohdear:

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

truth masseuse posted:

Yeah, but it's Daniel; being killed is a Saturday afternoon for him.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On season 3 in a SG1 rewatch, and teal'c's jaffa joke is still the best moment of the series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
It is a good thing that Vala's dad did not go to the play with Teal'c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

truth masseuse posted:

My favourite thing about Stargate was the sort of backstory that was tied in to involve the egyptian pyramids and 'gods'. Merlin, Thor, etc all turning out of have very real origins even if they were extraterrestrial. I always wish more of that was discussed by Daniel in episodes to be honest, but I get why it was kept to a minimum with the emphasis being on actions and adventures.