Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

TildeATH posted:

Speaking of which, where the hell is OhCrap?

Far as I can tell, they've not posted since page 28
Did anyone actually get confirmation that they've started working on the save?

I'm all for new overlords - kinda boring reading just the stuff from the 'usual crowd', and most of my amusement in these threads comes from seeing how you get out of the problems that come from an incompetent/lazy/directly-harmful overseer going before you - but there's not really a reason to give them the benefit of the doubt if they wait too long.
'Course, it's been 2-ish days, which isn't even the full '72 hours', and that's not counting the 'couple of days to poke around, get set up, and chat with [leper] about whatever', so give them a few more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TildeATH posted:

Speaking of which, where the hell is OhCrap?

According to his profile, Australia.

He was around to put his name in for the save, which implies he's keeping up with the thread, but it's between 2:30 and 4:30 AM in most of aussie land right now so I'm not expecting a response until later today.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 16, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Well, if he drops out, I call dibs. :haw:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If he drops out I'll reroll from among the other people who signed up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Quick, I need write access to the spreadsheet. No time to go into details... :ninja:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I'm only going to consider a different Overseer-picking method if the current method turns to be an abject failure for some reason. Certainly other methods are valid and could work, but I want to try this one and give it a reasonable shot.

By current method you mean current overseers, right? Since that's about all that can go wrong.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

Quick, I need write access to the spreadsheet. No time to go into details... :ninja:

Make sure when you're stuffing the ballot box that you spell the username right, the "ATH" is capitalized, okay?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lepermod (both versions) is now linked-to from the second post (at the bottom). From now on, I'm only going to update those URLs, rather than re-posting them over and over.

The ascii version has an updated insects file which fixes an issue with insects having the wrong tile.

Both files have updated readmes with improved descriptions of the changes.

Other than the insects thing there's no need to re-download if you're already using Lepermod.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Rurik posted:

That's because nobody reads technical drawings in their spare time for fun (at least nobody who's not a bit weird).

I have, and there's nothing weird about me.

:spergin::hf::science:

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Hey, we just broke 500 on the dwarfing list!

Truly a momentous day.

Three-Phase posted:

I have, and there's nothing weird about me.

:spergin::hf::science:
Also I beg to differ.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Yeah. You're probably right.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Qwo posted:

Also I beg to differ.

Spending one's free time creating three-dimensionally rendered Lego pictures of dwarves from a video game with no graphics in order to entertain people on the internet isn't weird at all.

It's awesome, is what it is.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Nah don't worry Qwo is cool.

Man, I have a desktop folder that's got over fifty megabytes of that stuff in it now.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Seems we're nearing 24h since the announcement, and no overseer. Does not bode well! Do you think you'll reroll tonight, Leperfish?

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Leperflesh posted:

Oh crap, it's OhCrap!

Congratulations OhCrap, you are our next Overseer. May Armok have mercy on your soul.

Oh no!

Uh, I mean, yay! Put my name in on a whim, but didn't check in yesterday (thx for heads up Leperflesh).

On it now, downloading the save while at work. I'll aim to get an update tonight.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SirPenguin posted:

Seems we're nearing 24h since the announcement, and no overseer. Does not bode well! Do you think you'll reroll tonight, Leperfish?

Actually, your post was an hour past it, though I don't think Leapingfishstick put a 24-hour requirement to respond, did he?

My vote is for Vox.

Vote Vox, Vitriol, Vascularity, and Violence!

Edit: drat, he's back! I mean, I was always on your side, my Aussie mate!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"Tonight" in australia is basically tomorrow, but that's fine. OhCrap is lucky I PMed him or her though!

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

TildeATH posted:

Edit: drat, he's back! I mean, I was always on your side, my Aussie mate!

No, no, it's fine. I promise not to wreak dorfy vengeance. :hist101:

Leperflesh posted:

"Tonight" in australia is basically tomorrow, but that's fine. OhCrap is lucky I PMed him or her though!

Yes indeedy. Save downloaded. Confirmed good. Good to go for tonight (gulp).

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Good luck! Make us all proud! Get a bunch of us horribly killed!

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Falgund, the homely comely wife of Qword:

Her eye/skin/hair color combo is kind of horrifying.

Thanks to Magrov for his super useful spreadsheet, btw!

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Good luck! Make us all proud! Get a bunch of us horribly killed!

It's like you have some kind of psycho powers!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

OhCrap posted:

It's like you have some kind of psycho powers!

Psychic....or psycho?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Artificer posted:

Psychic....or psycho?

Looking like a dwarven M. Bison, so it could very well be Pyscho Power.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Don't worry guys, it was just a dwarfian slip.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Qwo posted:

You poor bastard. She looks like a potato covered in Cheetos dust.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Qwo posted:

Holy poo poo, it's Sam Kinison, back from the dead as foretold by the prophecy!

Funny thing is, his old Tammy Faye Bakker joke applies:

"Jim Bakker. He's lost everything, he's ruined. And the worst thing of all he still has to wake up to her!"

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Well, what a surprise! A representative of Sankis just called by and said "Congratulations, new overseer of Bronzestabbed! You head out immediately! You still need an alias, by the way. What shall we call you?"

My response? "Oh, Crap!"

I signed up on a whim, having heard rumours about a great Task. I went to briefings. And extra briefings. And extra special extra briefings. I had my assigned number, and time a-plenty to read glossy ☼Briefing Notes☼. Plans have changed, it seems.

And so it is that I, now known as "OhCrap" (dammit), head to Bronzestabbed to take up reins. Last great hope of The Rare Ship - well, those who know of it, at least. Sankis knows her craft well. The new fortress to be found in ominous-sounding Fields of Vice. I have destroyed ‼Notes‼ as instructed. I am to take as little as possible, and leave nothing behind.

I realise only now that I know little of this place. I know little of why I was chosen. I know nothing of what awaits.

I only obey my call to duty.

Onward to Kilrudzat! To Bronzestabbed and glory!

I hope they have ≡Good Beer≡.

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 18, 2012

Mortizzle
May 29, 2004

Not the good kind of anal
Oh boy a fellow Aussie overseer, I am excited. Is it too late to hack in some weredropbears?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Mortizzle posted:

Oh boy a fellow Aussie overseer, I am excited. Is it too late to hack in some weredropbears?

It won't take long until the fortress is destroyed by zombie giant kangaroos. You should feel proud.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Dwarves are a lot like australians when you get down to it. A bunch of ripped manly dudes with facial hair, an extreme love of alcohol and violence and living in an inredibly dangerous environment.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psalmanazar posted:

Dwarves are a lot like australians when you get down to it. A bunch of ripped manly dudes with facial hair, an extreme love of alcohol and violence and living in an inredibly dangerous environment.

And they both have their babies eaten by vicious dog creatures.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Zaodai posted:

And they both have their babies eaten by vicious dog creatures.

Not to mention giant spiders and horrible venomous things at every turn.

Austrailia is a Terrifying biome

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
They're not so set for zombies, are they? I'd say Untamed (Mutant? Offensive?) Wilds.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Qwo posted:

Nice Qwo.

TildeATH posted:

Holy poo poo, it's Sam Kinison, back from the dead as foretold by the prophecy!

Funny thing is, his old Tammy Faye Bakker joke applies:

"Jim Bakker. He's lost everything, he's ruined. And the worst thing of all he still has to wake up to her!"

If you added an obscene amount of makeup, then yes, it would be Tammy Faye.

markus_cz posted:

It won't take long until the fortress is destroyed by zombie giant kangaroos. You should feel proud.

♫ Oh there was a jolly axedwarf ♫
♫ Camped at the murky pool ♫
♫ Under the shade of the Highwood tree ♫

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 17, 2012

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
Oh look, two kangaroo bucks hopping around outside the fortress.

How appropriate.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
new

From the Overseer Diary of OhCrap Mountainmist, 237, Bronzestabbed

10th Limestone, 237

I arrive as humans pack trade items. A dwarf who is previous overseer, JimmyTheD, sees me. He immediately announces his break and departs for Meeting Hall. I follow him. I do not know if he is a Good Overseer or a Bad Overseer but it is Important to talk to him.

Many dwarves have free time and idle in Meeting Hall. I introduce myself to all as 'OhCrap' Mountainmist.

Quickly I am appraised of recent events. "Look after Mister," says Jimmy, "It has just been Crafted. Kinks may exist."

I nod. I do not know what he means by Mister. I do not speak until I know more. I must show Wisdom.

I appraise fortress position myself.

Emergency! :supaburn: Booze shortage! :supaburn: I order all hands on deck until situation is resolved.

Peas is on it already. He is a Good Booze Maker.

Beer needs barrels. Forests should be clear cut!

14th Limestone, 237

Many dogs are in cage. Whimpering bothers me, and it does not seem Safe. I ask for Someone to "Do Something".

I looked forward to biscuits made from dog. But this will do. Puppies do not whimper so much. They can stay in their cage for biscuits later when grown.

Military judged adequate for fortress age. But I wonder why items go unused.

Leperfish, bookkeeper, informs that bolts and other items are left where they fall once used. This seems wasteful. I order practice ceased. Perfectly good iron breastplates and shields lying around unused!

16th Limestone 237

Concerned at many idle dwarves in this fortress. Idle hands make .. not much, I think. I order miners to extend tunnels. They will find jewels and metals. This will make Work.

18th Limestone 237

Internet Kraken: "Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer!" Everyone laughs. It is a Good Joke.

19th Limestone, 237

Problem exists. Crossbow dwarf without crossbow. Cousin SirPenguin looks strange, standing and making "Pew Pew" noises.

A Bowyer will be ordered.

Internet Kraken: "Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer!" It is still a Good Joke.

20th Limestone, 237

I finally discover what "Mister" is. I had feared that JimmyTheD was indulging in necromancy.

Nothing has been destroyed yet. JimmyTheD is a Good Overseer.

22nd Limestone, 237

I do not think that this is good design. JimmyTheD is a Bad Overseer. I order it ceased.

23rd Limestone, 237

No-one has switched off Mister. A Lever is near Mister. It is set Off. I switch to On. It does not switch Mister Off. JimmyTheD is a Bad Overseer.

I spy a lone windmill. I believe this to be source of Mister's power. I seize Axe. JimmyTheD protests, but he is a Bad Overseer and I do not heed.

While I chop, someone finally makes Dogs of War. I think that SirPenguin does this to thank for attention to Crossbows. He is a Good Ranger.

26th Limestone, 237

It takes me 3 days to chop Windmill down. Many dwarves stand by and cheer. I do not know if they Mock. But finally it is done.

1st Sandstone, 237

Leperfish: "Help! I've fallen and I can't reach Internet Kraken's beer!" It is a Good Joke that cheers me. But new joke must be made soon.

2nd Sandstone, 237

I realise that JimmyTheD made a Great Big Hole through which this fortress may be entered. Orders are made to close Hole.

Creation of crossbows is ordered. Atmok Ik is a Good Bowyer. JimmyTheD may be a Good Archery Target.

3rd Sandstone, 237

Fitzy Fitz suddenly stops making something and starts ... making something. But in a fey way.

Fitzy Fitz screams out requirements. Logs, bones, and silk are needed. We have all, but I fear not enough. I order silk Weaved immediately. His screaming gives headaches.

There is insufficient silk thread. And insufficient spiders. Miners are ordered to find spiders, quickly.

5th Sandstone, 237

By order of Overseer, this is now a Bad Joke.

Fitzy Fitz decides enough silk already exists!

I wonder if he will make a Party Golem.

6th Sandstone, 237

I puzzled over a missing dwarf report. Only Bad Dwarfs disappear. I did not know him, but all say El Belmondo was a Good Dwarf and should not disappear.

Then I looked in nearby pool. He must have .. tripped?

Recovery operations are planned.

8th Sandstone, 237

Migrants are on their way in - not before time!

From latest advice from Sankis, I already know aliases and past professions:

Bikindok, Male Mason
Chickenfrogdwarf, Male Cook
Gnu Sheriff in Town, Female Engineer
Babies, Female Child
MinorRed, Male Jeweler
HONK HONK HONK, Female Carpenter
The GoBotSodomizer, Male Trapper
CongoJack, Male Child
Samuel L. Jackson, Female Blacksmith
DashingGentleman, Male Woodcrafter
Humph, Male Herbalist
Vim Fuego, Female Ranger

MinorRed is well known to me, for he is beloved husband! Sankis has kept her word, and I am pleased.

For some reason, it seems important to note that Samuel L. Jackson brings her pet gosling. I wonder what its name is. It looks mean. I like it.

10th Sandstone, 237

Huzzah!

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 5, 2012

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Great, I really enjoyed that update!

If I could make one suggestion however it would be to turn off the mini-map on the right side. It just makes the stuff we want to see smaller.

edit: corrected typo; drat phone keyboard

Ajaxify fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 17, 2012

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
Okay, so this is my first month now up. Just to make it clear, this is my first overseer-ship (and LP), so I tried to take a little time to get properly into the spirit, and to make sure I had everything I needed together (LPix and rightload included, very helpful indeed). I decided to take my time for the first month.

I found that as I wrote, the character of my dwarf started to take shape. The stunted language I've used is deliberate - it's actually cut down from more verbose entries. I am sure that you will recognise inspiration from Matul Remrit, and this too is deliberate. I really like the way those dwarfs are represented, and it really fitted my dwarf's character as it evolved .. especially when it turned out to be a relatively young female dwarf who is both impatient and inexperienced.

Following this first month, I expect to cover more ground in each post. I will try to aim for daily posts, but at absolute worst, every 2 days.

Ajaxify posted:

Great, I really enjoyed that update!

If I could make one suggestion however it would be to turn off the minimal on the right side. It just makes the stuff we want to see smaller.

Thanks! I'm taking a look at it now.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

OhCrap posted:

Following this first month, I expect to cover more ground in each post. I will try to aim for daily posts, but at absolute worst, every 2 days.

I take back everything bad I ever said about you. Even the stuff in private and on 4chan.

I liked the Inaccessible Item joke and the Schizophrenic Previous Overseer Appraisal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I kinda like the minimap being visible when it isn't immediately obvious where the location being shown is.

Edit: Also, artifact cat bone toy boat? I hope that will either buy the entire stock a trade caravan or else make one of the current children ecstatic for life.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 17, 2012

• Locked thread